How does one get into D&D?

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
Grickles
First Video: Unskippable

How does one get into D&D?

Postby Grickles » 17 Jun 2013, 05:57

I've been interested in getting into D&D for a long time now but I just don't know how. I have two or three friends who are interested or otherwise not oppossed to the idea, but I'm not sure if that is enough people to play properly. I've noticed books on D&D campaigns at the local store where I buy Magic cards and have though about buying some but I wouldn't know what to do with it if I bought one. SO you men and women of D&D knowledge could you perhaps give me some tips for getting into D&D and perhaps share some tales of how you got into this most famous of table top games.
LOST IN SPAAAAACE
AzureDragoon
First Video: ive been watching so long i cant remembe

Re: How does one get into D&D?

Postby AzureDragoon » 17 Jun 2013, 06:29

D&D personally is great that is actually how I have met and stayed in touch with a lot of my friends over the years. But anyhow since it sounds like you and your friends are just starting out a small group of 3-4 people actually may be a good place to start in order to get your feet wet to the experience. I can say the first time I sat down with one of the books it was a tad bit daunting because it seems like there is so much that has to be taken into consideration. But if you have any questions I'd be happy to try and help because over the years D&D is something me and my friends always seem to come back to for just so crazy fun.
Why can't I hold all these Dragons - Scion EDH Deck
Experiments gone wrong - Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH Deck
BearForce1 - Gaddock Teeg EDH Deck
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 17 Jun 2013, 07:48

Yeah, four to six people is the generally recommended number, but three would be workable too. I'd suggest, assuming you don't mind putting out a decent chunk of money upfront, buying the three core rulebooks, which are the Player's Handbook (which contains the underlying rules and character building information), the Dungeon Master's Guide (rules for running the game, building dungeons, and a lot of theory on how to make the game fun), and the Monster Manual (exactly what it sounds like). If money is an issue, you can usually make due without a monster manual, but when you're getting started it's still a big help.

After that, I'd recommend that whoever wants to be the Dungeon Master reads through the PHB and DMG more or less from cover to cover. You don't need to be afraid to skip things that are very specific (rules for underwater combat, details on every weapon, and so on), but try to know where that information can be found if its needed. I haven't read it myself, but I've heard that the 4th Edition DMG is a very good introduction to what being a DM is about and how to manage running a game, so I abstain from going into too much detail there. The players (meaning the people playing the game as opposed to the DM, who is running it) should probably all scan through the PHB, so that when you sit down to make characters they have an idea what all the numbers they're picking mean, and so that they have the basic mechanics down (skills, combat, and how their classes word are really the only essentials at this point).

Alternatively, if you want to just dip your toes in the water of D&D without diving in, you could see if you can find a starter set. One of these (the version 3.5 one instead) is actually how I got started on the game. This will cost about half as much as just one of the core rulebooks, and comes with a simplified version of the rules that will introduce the mechanics of the game, as well as a set of the dice you'll be needing (which would be another $5 - $10 to buy on their own) and a short adventure so you can get a feel for the game without writing one yourself or buying a full–fledged prewritten adventure. This might be your best bet, if you can find one cheaply in your area, as long as you're okay with the fact that you'll be wanting to upgrade to the full game within a few months, since the rules given here are pretty limited as I understand it.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help how I can.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Grickles

Postby Grickles » 17 Jun 2013, 15:13

awesome I'll check out the starter set. thanks for your help.
LOST IN SPAAAAACE
Grickles

Postby Grickles » 17 Jun 2013, 15:14

awesome I'll check out the starter set. thanks for your help.
LOST IN SPAAAAACE
DSmaster21
First Video: Friday Nights-Untap
Location: You will hear on the news one day. Zombies! Wait no disregard that random word.

Postby DSmaster21 » 26 Jun 2013, 13:03

Although I agree with much of what Azure and Jam said I would not recommend the red box (starter box). I do this for two main reasons.

1: The Red Box is connected with D&D essentials. This might sound okay but essentially it means you will need to buy books that contain subclass versions of the core classes (ie Slayer Fighter and Thief Rogue) rather than the the books that contain the main versions (Fighter and Rogue). If you bought the core books anyway you would find it more difficult to level up and advance your characters.

2: The core books may contain more info but this info is very important if you want to play anything that you come up with and introduce you to the basics while the red box just introduces concepts. The DM's guide has several things you especially may need. Pg. 31 suggests what to do if your group group is larger or smaller than the recommended 4-6. Pg 194/195 suggests what to do if you would prefer to play without a DM. The DM's guide comes with an example of a campaign and city along with some NPCs. The Player's Handbook is there to help you build characters and how they are used. The Character Sheets that you can photocopy from the back look complicated but actually simplify the math that you do when you level up etc. The Monster Manual contains plenty of monsters for your characters to threaten, smash, trick, diplomize etc.
If you need another campaign you can download the Keep on Shadowfell as a free pdf from the D&D website. Another option is to search for the pdfs they distributed for Free RPG Day which have a campaign and pregenerated characters.

If price is a restriction try buying the core book gift set which cuts the price of the books nearly in half. Normally $105-120 for today only $60-70.

http://www.amazon.com/Core-Rulebook-Dungeons-Dragons-Rulebooks/dp/0786950633

Dice sets can be expensive though but typically you can find some for 25-50 cents each separately at some game shops. (About 2 dollars at most)
Self wrote: I lost my humanity back in 2013 BC ahhhh the good old days.

Ptangmatik wrote: We drew things on your face. Oh, and you're now legally called Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle. Congratulations.

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”