When is a planned TPK justified?

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
Preacher
First Video: The Job

When is a planned TPK justified?

Postby Preacher » 09 Sep 2013, 16:27

So I've tried my hand at DM'ing for some pointless and stupid reason. The first session went fine, a bunch of kobolds ambushed the party and kicked their teeth in, knocking out one party member and bringing another down to single digit HP, and the party ran away. The second session things went completely and utterly off the wall. Two players, in the middle of a kobold cave full of traps, decide to attempt a team kill. Admittedly one player had already caused the others death in a different campaign, and the death here would have been poetic. It devolved from there to the point where in pretty much every ensuing fight they found a way to screw each other over.

Now, screwing over party member is a time honoured D&D tradition. Casting fireball in the crowed corridor and hitting more friends than enemies is a thing that happens, withholding loot, "Accidently" letting the annoying Halfling fall down the cliff. It happens. This is got to the point where after the end of the session, I'm thinking of just killing the entire party in various terrible and cruel ways and then telling the players to bury the hatchet when I bury their characters.

Am I over-reacting here? Is there a way out that doesn't involve mass murder?
Do you guys mind. I'm trying to write an essay

Its probably not a good thing I feel the need to put a disclaimer after everything I say

This is a thing my and my friend run.
Hepheastus
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Re: When is a planned TPK justified?

Postby Hepheastus » 10 Sep 2013, 00:41

I would say, are your party having fun? If some people are getting really angry and annoyed at the other players screwing with them, then stop it from happening. If however your players are enjoying the game then I would say let them continue. I know it's frustrating when your players don't do what you plan for them to do but I don't think it's right for you to rail road them too hard. However I do have quite a relaxed group of players I DM for so maybe take my advice with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, hope this was helpful
Discere linguam Latinam fuit perditio tempore in schola

Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a Fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a Fruit Salad

What do you call two crows? Attempted murder
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 10 Sep 2013, 01:56

My experience is that things like this get stale fast.

While killing teammates is all well and good, it does not make for a long-running campaign. If your players like making new characters and get to a new adventure every week, by all means do this. It does not really make for a good story though.

I personally really like to see how a story develops over several months and levels. There's nothing I like to see more than having players develop their characters and fleshing out their backstories, ambitions and friends and enemies.

But in the end it all depends on what you are looking for in a game. Lots of people have stressful jobs and for them this is just a way of goofing off and having some fun without over-thinking everything.

Just make sure all the players are on the same page on this. You really don't want a group where two players are off killing the other two over and over again, leaving the other players frustrated.

As long as everyone agrees that this is the kind of game they want to play, that is the perfect way to play the game.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 11 Sep 2013, 23:39

Yeah. My personal opinion is that there is no excuse for the DM to play a TPK. If you're tempted to do so, it means it's time to have a session which is just a sit down and discuss problems.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 12 Sep 2013, 12:39

Unless your story involves them all travelling to the afterlife...
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
DSmaster21
First Video: Friday Nights-Untap
Location: You will hear on the news one day. Zombies! Wait no disregard that random word.

Postby DSmaster21 » 14 Sep 2013, 13:45

Put them in a situation where they must work together or die, if they die then they will probably be deflated a bit and may learn their lesson. While playing pathfinder our very foolish mono-rogue (who likes to do things in the most violent way possible (In his words finesse can screw off)) and our rogue/wizard or likes to be cautious and do things with a bit of thought. I put them in a cave full of bats (12 bat swarms). They only by having the high con-str mono-rogue stand up front to hold them off while the wizard summoned help. It certainly made them both appreciate the Barbarian and Paladin and argue a bit less when I comes to whether a rogue should hang back and shoot things or charge.
Self wrote: I lost my humanity back in 2013 BC ahhhh the good old days.

Ptangmatik wrote: We drew things on your face. Oh, and you're now legally called Clivendorf von Whiffenpoofle. Congratulations.

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”