Sell me on D&D:Next

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Sell me on D&D:Next

Postby Bergie » 10 Sep 2013, 10:38

I have been having a bit of an RP slump the last year or so, having moved to a new city. I played D&D 3.5, and enjoyed it, I've played 4th and did not particularly like it (it was okay, but I got into RPG's to RP, not just G), with the only other two games I've really been able to dabble in being Arcanis and one of my friend's FFRPG variants.

I've kept more or less abreast of the development of D&D: Next, but to be honest it still doesn't look to me as if it is as versatile as 3.5, and that makes me a bit sad. Is this just a perception of mine which isn't based on reality? Do people have personal stories they wish to share to either side of whether it's good or not?
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Re: Sell me on D&D:Next

Postby psychopez » 13 Sep 2013, 07:13

Check out 13th Age. It's the best of 3e/3.5e/4e and the best of indie RPGs rolled up into one nice d20 system.

I was waiting around for D&D Next, but 13A came out and I haven't looked back at D&D since.
@mhasko
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 13 Sep 2013, 07:40

You should buy D&D nxt
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 28 Sep 2013, 17:31

I could go into a long, long rant on why D&D Next is going to be terrible, but I'll limit myself to saying that so far (at the end of the public playtest) WotC doesn't have an actual game. They're thrown a ton of ideas at the wall, changed them at every iteration of the playtest, and so far they don't have anything remotely ressembling a complete RPG system.

At this point, it's a given that either D&D Next is at least two years away, or it's going to be an untested hodgepodge of various ideas.

(Also, every single iteration of the playtest was horrible, for what it's worth.)

----

The more rational response: if you didn't like 4th edition, you probably won't like Next. It's the same design team (everyone else bailed out at various points in the project, insinuating that they were doing so because they didn't want to be associated with it at all), the same design philosophy, and the same inexcusable math flaws.
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 30 Sep 2013, 07:38

the last version of the playtest I saw was looking more and more like 3.5, which makes we wonder why I wouldn't just play 3.5 instead of the new product. It looked more balanced between the classes (possibly), but year, I did not look at it overly favourably. It was for that reason I was hoping someone could shed light on how awesome it is, because I couldn't see the light myself.

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”