System reccomendation?

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

System reccomendation?

Postby Firbozz » 01 May 2014, 19:00

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a system to use for some upcoming tabletop roleplaying sessions. I introduced the same group to D&D 3.5 last summer, but I'd like to use something a bit less tech-heavy and with more emphasis on actual roleplaying.
For what it matters, we intend to be drinking while do this, so ideally the system would fairly straightforward to run.

Cheers,
Firbozz
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Re: System reccomendation?

Postby chetoos » 01 May 2014, 20:24

I play Pathfinder, but it's, from what I understand, on the same level as 3.5, if a little simpler. If you're looking for a super simple one, literally just roll dice and go, there's actually a fun thing called Maid RPG. You roll different amounts of d6s to determine your stats and attributes. For example, I rolled up a maid that was a murderous loli succubus that likes bombs. If you're looking for a bit of a different kind of game, GURPS is good, and runs on only d6s as well.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 01 May 2014, 20:49

Pathfinder is basically 3.5 with tweaks, I wouldn't say its much simpler on a large scale. Things like grappling are simplified, but for the most part they're completely interchangeable.

As to the original question, I recently tried out FATE a bit. I don't really have much of a grasp on it yet, but it seems very straightforward and rules light, quite suited to what you're looking for.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 02 May 2014, 02:02

Let me back Jamfalcon up on this. GET FATE CORE!!

I have only done a campaign building session so far, but I already might like it more than D&D. It has a really strong emphasis on story and the mechanics support this wonderfully.

Best part, it's pay what you want, so there is no reason not to at least take a look.

Trust me, this system is worth your time.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Postby Firbozz » 02 May 2014, 07:53

Thanks for recommending FATE, I've taken a quick glance at the core rules and it looks like it'll be good for what I want.
Cheers, Forums.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 02 May 2014, 09:13

I realize I'm quite late to this party, but I would just like to point out that Fate was MY idea. :P

You may now return to your homes.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 02 May 2014, 09:28

*Cough*Pretty sure I pointed you towards it.*Cough*

I wrote a book!
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 02 May 2014, 09:39

*cough* pretty sure I'm GMing the goddamn campaign, Jamworth. I can decide whether you should live or die. *unconvincing cough*

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 02 May 2014, 09:41

*Cough* Fair point, I'll shut up now. *Yielding cough*

I wrote a book!
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 03 May 2014, 01:01

And if Fate doesn't necessarily tickle your group's fancy, there's always Barbarians of Lemuria, which is so simple my dog could learn it. Instead of skills, everyone has four careers. Any character can be aces at actual combat, even the wizard in the party. The wizard in the party might also be a pirate, to boot. Everything just works of 2d6 plus Career plus one of the four Attributes, or 2d6 plus one of the four Combat Attributes plus Attribute, plus any situation modifiers if you really want 'em, and you there's a flat target of 9. That's it. Equipment is one page in the rules, but also super easy to make up on the fly. Same with NPCs. It's a system that gets out of your way and lets you roleplay as quickly as possible. Lots of fun.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 03 May 2014, 06:04

Also, if you're wanting a little more direction, I have a couple of suggestions. Fate has a setting called Spirit of the Century, inspired by the pulp adventure serials of the late 1930s. Me, Jam, and a friend of mine from elsewhere are doing a campaign with it. It's good fun, but the tone is a bit contrary than what one might be used to. Which is to say, very, very pulpy. It's pulptastic.

On another note, there's also a great non-traditional RPG called Fiasco. You roll dice to decide your setting and characters and motivations and whatnot based on a playset that you can find for free on Bully Pulpit Games's website. (If you're feeling saucy, you can write one yourself, once you get the hang of it.) Once the setting is decided, you act out a short little two-act play about what happens to your characters. It's built to end like a Coen brothers film, most often with everything on fire.

If you'd like a demonstration, Wil Wheaton and a bunch of other funny people played it on TableTop.

Tzimisce
First Video: it's magic

Postby Tzimisce » 10 Nov 2014, 03:29

There are weird and qurky systems. If you want funny you can play in toon, maid or big eyes small mouth. Vampire can be dark or light if you want the stat blocks are simple.

Another silly one that halfass sorta works is the 4e gamma world. Randomly roll 2 halfs of a character and enter the world as a robotic moth or a undead plant, or psychic hampster.
Throw away the maps and grids and have fun throwing magical t-rexes at a train full of goods heading to the great state of walmart! Where every casher are radioactive zombies and bullets are currency!
I am Tzimisce.
I am incredibly warped and Twisted...
Would you like to be, too?
My Mom passed away Oct 14 2015, looking for some light in the darkness. Seeking help for final costs.
http://www.gofundme.com/gzmie4
Shadowwarl
First Video: Friday nights

Postby Shadowwarl » 25 Jan 2015, 06:25

Not sure if you are still looking but Palladium fantasy from palladiumbooks.com is a good RUG set they have been around since the early 88's and also make Rifts and hero's unlimited and few other game systems.

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”