Favorite RPG setting?

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
oaktree
First Video: Secret Life of Toast

Favorite RPG setting?

Postby oaktree » 22 Aug 2014, 08:31

Those who play RPGs know whether you want to be a hero in a far off fantasy land, space-wizard using the force, or serf in the 15th century that one of the biggest aspects of RPGs (or any tale really) are the settings you place yourself in. My personal setting I've played in is probably Eberron or Deadlands. Eberron for it's brilliant use of magical technology and general noir feel. Deadlands for it's roughridin' weird west greatness, not to mention the beautiful spoop potential.

How about you guys and gals, any favorite setting?
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Re: Favorite RPG setting?

Postby Jonci » 28 Aug 2014, 13:01

For D&D, Eberron is an easy win for me.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 28 Aug 2014, 19:29

Castle Falkenstein is my personal favourite. It's gloriously romantic.
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 15 Sep 2014, 07:11

I have a deep and abiding love of Warhammer and Warhammer 40k (yes, those do count), as well as the explicit setting material in White Wolf's Mage: The Awakening books, but I think my current favourite is Unknown Armies. Gotta love dat post-modern magic.
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 16 Sep 2014, 09:24

Arcanis, both in the 3.5 version and PCI's present home-grown rules.

I am fascinated by Shadowrun as well, and have been engrossed in Battletech since the '90's. Alas, I've never RP'd in either of those.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 23 Sep 2014, 14:39

I'm a huge fan of the new World of Darkness, particularly Vampire: The Requiem. It's like True Blood meets Gothic horror.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 23 Sep 2014, 17:43

Werewolf: The Forsaken was amazing as well. It had a real sense of primal savagery Apocalypse didn't.

And I worked on Apocalypse. I have all the jealousy.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 23 Sep 2014, 18:54

I like Werewolf too, but I must admit that I was a wee bit disappointed that Shadows of the United Kingdom contained not a SINGLE reference to Warren Zevon. I am disappoint.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
chaucer345
First Video: Unskippable

Postby chaucer345 » 26 Oct 2014, 21:17

I have a love-hate relationship with NWOD, which manifests in my enjoyment of the two systems that in my opinion are more "Anti-WOD".

Hunter: The Vigil is a game where you try to Ellen Ripley your way out of terrible situations and show creatures of the night that your not going to be their pawns in a variety of ways (there are even organizations focused on cutting Vampire's Funding and doing Sufficiently Analyzed Magic).

Mummy: The Curse is WOD in reverse. No seriously, you start at maximum power stat and slowly lose power as time goes on in the campaign. While that's happening you slowly restore the memories lost to you throughout the ages and come to realize that the people you're working for aren't very nice and you should try to stop them. In short, it's a game about re-gaining your humanity instead of losing it.
chaucer345
First Video: Unskippable

Postby chaucer345 » 26 Oct 2014, 21:31

Thysane wrote:but I think my current favourite is Unknown Armies. Gotta love dat post-modern magic.

I think my favorite moment in gaming came from an Unknown Armies LARP.

We accidentally made a sentient robot suit and half the player base instantly went "We are NOT being Victor Frankenstein" and adopted the robot as our child. It got to the point where players were so distracted from the main plot raising our robot that the STs did the most brilliant thing ever.

They had the main bad guys kidnap him.

From then on, it was ON.

Because you can massacre people, you can throw around mind control, you can even threaten to blow up the world, but you do NOT MESS WITH OUR ROBOT SON!
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Postby Omnicrat » 27 Oct 2014, 00:06

I'm going with Ebberon as well. Thats if homebrew settings don't count. If homebrew settings count then the partially made setting from the Lords of Creation: Backstabbing is Magic. A rough world with magitech cities and crystalline civilizations, a god of madness and war fighting in the memory of their lost people, and the coming threat of the Dark Ones who will devour the local multiverse in its entirety if the petty gods can't put aside their differences for long enough to defend it.
Khador
First Video: Bad news

Postby Khador » 06 Jan 2015, 04:09

My Favorite settings to ever play in are torn between three mostly because of the different flavors they offer,

Legend of the 5 Rings:

Brilliant Oriental fantasy setting with butt tones (Imperial butts measurement) of flavor and in built history and with a complex Social/economic structure and plenty of daft nonsense to boot.

Tribe 8:

Played once or twice but has a brilliant way of making technology seem magical and the dream magic is amazing, the Tribal out look in a post apocalyptic world gives a strong feel of mad Maxs.

Unhallowed Metropolis:

This fact that it is summed up with Tesla Punk/Victorian/Post zombie apocalypse should be enough to get anyone to like this setting even for just the insanity, now add in its brutal challenge ratting and how it teases the promise of a happy ending, it is as enjoyable to just to try and play to win as it is because of the ascetics
Belgarion
First Video: The Wire

Postby Belgarion » 06 Jan 2015, 04:44

I have very limited experience with rpg systems, having only played D&D and The Palladium systems and Robotech a few times. I have to say that I get the most enjoyment from the Palladium system.
If the scapegoat ever goes extinct, who are we going to blame?
Tzimisce
First Video: it's magic

Postby Tzimisce » 07 Jan 2015, 01:32

The addon for wrath the oblivion. Risen is really intresting.

Think sorta a crow style animated corps instead of vampires.

Risen is a fun little adition to a wod vampire game.
I am Tzimisce.
I am incredibly warped and Twisted...
Would you like to be, too?
My Mom passed away Oct 14 2015, looking for some light in the darkness. Seeking help for final costs.
http://www.gofundme.com/gzmie4
Khador
First Video: Bad news

Postby Khador » 08 Jan 2015, 00:10

Tzimisce wrote:The addon for wrath the oblivion. Risen is really intresting.

Think sorta a crow style animated corps instead of vampires.

Risen is a fun little adition to a wod vampire game.

Risen was really interesting and threw out a couple of good multi supernatural game ideas the only thing it let down/worked well for it setting was that they didn't last very long which meant you either ran a short game or setting or the player accepted they were not going to make to the end.

And if we are going with splats for WoD, Ebony Kingdom and Veil of Night

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”