Interest in starting an Online LRR DnD group.

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
Walkhard
First Video: Fridaynights Politics

Interest in starting an Online LRR DnD group.

Postby Walkhard » 02 Oct 2014, 19:16

I am wondering if anyone would have any interest in starting a weekly group. Casual games of course and new player friendly. If enough people are interested or want to run groups then we could do multiple.
Please post your ideas, wishes, and information.
Interest in DMing, experience in DMing.
Perfered video, audio chat. Skype, Google+ and so on. Also why you like them and why they'ed be good for this sort of thing.
Times in which you would be available.
Edition of the game you'd like to use.
Again, this is just feeling out interest and gathering ideas for now. But please share :) I'd love for this to start.
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Re: Interest in starting an Online LRR DnD group.

Postby ChroniclerC » 02 Oct 2014, 22:28

I'm in, and I can probably bring a local friend of mine to the e-table. Our preferred systems to run and play are D&D 4th Ed (occasionally guest starring Gamma World) and New World of Darkness (he runs Werewolf, I run Changeling), but we can also play Pathfinder, 5th Ed, or maaaybe 3.5 if you ask nicely. Willing to try out other game systems on a case-by-case basis if you can provide books.

We live in central Texas (GMT -6, currently -5 because DST), generally available weekday evenings (roughly 7 PM - 11 PM) and some weekends.

Skype and Google Hangouts have both proven themselves competent voicecall/videocall clients. I have yet to try it myself, but I'm told Roll20 is a good online gametable.
Last edited by ChroniclerC on 10 Oct 2014, 09:21, edited 2 times in total.
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 03 Oct 2014, 09:20

While I can't commit to a game at this point in time, I can definitely vouch for Roll20 as an excellent tool for roleplaying, especially map-heavy games. Very user friendly and versatile. I even used it with my in-person 3.5 group because it made running dungeon crawls and battles so much quicker than an old fashioned grid and pens system.

The built in voice and video chat weren't fantastic when I last used them (though I believe they've been upgraded since), but you can run in through Google Hangouts, or just use Skype on the side.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 03 Oct 2014, 10:00

Interested, but not sure how likely it'll be that I can actually play. I too, however, will vouch for Roll20. I use the site regularly with Arcanis groups as I haven't found a local group to play with in Edmonton. We usually use G+ Hangouts for the chat because, as Jamfalcon says, the built-in voice/video isn't all that great (functional, but not great).
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 04 Oct 2014, 07:20

I dunno if I can vouch for Roll20 quite so much as the others. I think those dice are trying to kill me.

Regardless, I too am a fervent adherent to the New World of Darkness. I can run Vampire and WoD Core with relative ease. I've a reasonable amount of experience with Fate, Shadowrun, and D&D 3.5, but I don't much care for those systems.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
DoktorNik
First Video: The Couch

Postby DoktorNik » 06 Oct 2014, 09:36

I can vouch for Roll20 being awesome, and I can also vouch for the crazy Rolls. I swear roll20 rolls more 20's for DM's doing bad things, and more 1s for player's trying to hit or roll a save. Though this might just be observation bias.

I'm currently in a twice a week group for D&D 5E, and i find 5E to be crazy fun and would love to play that. I have working knowledge of 3.5 and pathfinder, but have never played them extensively (one group who were mechanic abusing to make it too easy, but to each their own).

I'll keep checking in on this, but count me in for just about anything!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 Oct 2014, 14:28

My problem with Roll 20 is that I keep rolling 1s twice in a row, and since I'm a musketeer, that makes my gun...explode.

I'm already in two online campaigns, so I don't think I can do this one. But I can vouch for the effectiveness of Google Hangouts + Roll20 (though the actual maps in Roll20 can be pain).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Oct 2014, 14:33

I have an interest in D&D.

I have 100%* ignorance about it.

*I know there are dungeons, and occasional dragons, paper, pencil and dice. That's about it.
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 06 Oct 2014, 21:03

I'll chime in for interest as well, as I have access to D&D 3.5 & 4th Edition materials to craft characters & run a game, if needed (even though I have like no DM experience).

The only challenge I have is availability time, as my days off (assuming work doesn't forces OT upon everybody) are Sunday - Tuesday. Usually between Noon - 2 AM CT (GMT-6)... or about the same time I'm at work from Wednesday - Saturday (I have a 4x10 shift... which tends to go longer as I'm on a closing team).

Time Zones will probably become a potential issue, so it might be required to split into multiple groups, as needed.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 07 Oct 2014, 08:24

I'd be tentatively interested, depending on what time this ends up being. Oddly enough, I'm in the same boat as TStodden, in that Sunday and Monday are my weekend. (Other than that my work schedule varies like crazy.) I'm in EDT/EST (GMT-4/-5). I've never used Google Hangouts before, but I'd certainly be willing to try, and I'm completely comfortable in Skype. I'm not really bothered about what game is played.
Last edited by Timelady on 11 Oct 2014, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 07 Oct 2014, 08:46

You know, if we're using an actual system, I have to say I'm interested. I'm experienced in 3.5 and Pathfinder, and am interested in Next.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Trevor
First Video: suspiciously good movers

Postby Trevor » 07 Oct 2014, 19:24

I am both interested in and intimidated by DnD.
My friends and I used to try a variety of Pen and Paper games (Rifts, BESM, Vampire: The Masquerade, and yeah DnD once) but it was never as structured as proper DnD and we never managed to play for long.

I remember when Avatar The last Airbender was finishing up I found myself REALLY wanting to roleplay in the Avatar world (Earth 4 lyfe). Then I found out a group of people in a university club I was a member of had run an Avatar themed game, and I had missed out. Then again, I might be secretly relieved I didn't get to embarrass myself in front of people I hardly knew.

Edit: I don't have a consistent weekly work schedule (I always work weekends, but then I have a random two days off throughout the week), so if I did play it'd probably have to be after/before work. Like between 11pm to 3am, or 7am to noon, Eastern Standard Time.
Last edited by Trevor on 10 Oct 2014, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
DoktorNik

Postby DoktorNik » 07 Oct 2014, 19:59

Hey Updated info

A friend of mine has given me his old Promotion Modules for DnD Next/5E, and I have quite a few(~7) other Modules for DnD 5E. I have never DM'ed, but I'm not against giving it a try. Also I'm willing to upload/set up a dungeon with the materials I have in Roll20, or figure out if there's a legal way for me to share the Modules despite the distance. (Don't want to straight up give away illegal copies if at all possible).

edit: If you have any questions about anything I don't check the forums terribly often(sorry I suck at forums, -3 modifier), but you can always e-mail me at dom.j.pruss(at)gmail(dot)com (please don't submit to spam websites!).
TStodden
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 09 Oct 2014, 01:08

Don't worry about modules yet, since edition will dictate the availability of modules to use... assuming we need them.

As for the need for distribution... We'll keep things off the forums as much as possible (keeping it to a "need to access basis") to keep exposure to "questionable material" minimal.
~TStodden
Zarr0
First Video: unskippable

Postby Zarr0 » 09 Oct 2014, 07:18

I would really like to join. I do however have 0 experience with d+d and the same goes for roleplaying over the internets.
I live in Northern Ireland so scheduling might be an issue. Luckily i don't have a job so any reasonable UK time is ok.
DoktorNik

Postby DoktorNik » 10 Oct 2014, 08:53

If everyone could edit their post or post again with the days they can play, times & timezone(for me) they can play, and games they want to play, i'll try to compile it into a list, and move matched people, and maybe we can get a small group started.
Walkhard

Postby Walkhard » 11 Oct 2014, 17:44

So what I gather is a lot of interested which is nice :D! But time seems to be the big issue. So I am thinking maybe 12AM EST around that time maybe on Sunday night or Monday.
We will be using google+ or skype as they seem to be the best at something like this and roll20 would be the online system.
Also probably since a lot of new people who've never played before seem interested in playing which is great as this would be casual and laidback, 5e or Patherfinder seems to be the best option.
For me I can play any day as long as it's past 12est. I don't have set days off so that's my one issue. But there seems to be enough interest in this to have possibly 2 groups going also.

Edit: I should also add that if someone does want to take it upon themselve to start a group or organize this that would be cool too. As I am not looking to DM this it's probably best to get someone who knows what they are doing. But If people could give me a clear day(s) and time(s) that they can commit to I will surely be willing to start trying to organize and start looking into getting a start date going.
TStodden

Postby TStodden » 12 Oct 2014, 00:43

With the exception of Tuesday night, I can be a bit flexible on times mentioned above... It's just that I tend to stay up a bit later & sleep in more (without the harping of the alarm clock), but 4a - 11a is dedicated for sleep.
~TStodden
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 12 Oct 2014, 07:09

Once upon a time, I would have been down for a game at midnight. Being a responsible adult sucks. :(
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
knightaudit
First Video: checkpoint

Postby knightaudit » 13 Oct 2014, 11:13

I would be up for this idea. I have a lot of exp with the versions up to 3.5 but not so much in the new 5 .. but i will have to read up on it.
I do blame LRR for making me want to get back in ... I have not played in a good 4-5 years now .. but always willing.
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 14 Oct 2014, 07:12

ChroniclerC wrote:Once upon a time, I would have been down for a game at midnight. Being a responsible adult sucks. :(

Yeah, pretty much exactly this. :/
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
DoktorNik

Postby DoktorNik » 14 Oct 2014, 19:43

Okay, so so far we have Walkhard, who says weekly/biweekly on sunday/monday at 0500 GMT. This may be viable for some of our eurpean brethren, Estonia is EETZ (+2GMT) correct, but many of the EU basis is either GMT or GMT +1, so that timezone probably won't work for many people, on the bright side, it may be viable for the +10 and up to +12 GMT crowd.

Also college student's who don't have jobs or classes, so myself included in that.

I'm going to propose start time of 5-8 pm GMT on any day saturday-tuesday. which will allow EU, USA, and maybe early risers from Australia/New Zealand to join.

We'll see if we get any interest in either of those two time slots, and see if we can't find a day during those.
Zarr0
First Video: unskippable

Postby Zarr0 » 15 Oct 2014, 15:11

I think the main thing is finding dms. Once we have people willing to dm we can sort out the times. I just don't see a lot of people who would like to dm.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 15 Oct 2014, 15:12

I would be more than happy to run a game... but I'm not really that familiar with D&D, and I'm not sure that people here would be as interested in games that I would be confident running. (Unknown Armies, for example.) Also, I live in Australia, so timezones may be a problem.
Walkhard

Postby Walkhard » 15 Oct 2014, 19:59

Yeah, I am kinda hoping for people with some experience to speak up to DM. Like I am fine with logistics and I don't want anyone who doesn't know the game to think they can join, but a DM that knows the game and knows how to run his own would be wise to start. Maybe after some sessions other people can take turns but yeah. Don't need to know 5e, that's something everyone can explore together but just knowing how to run a session within DnD is a huge plus to making a game run.

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”