Heroes Unlimited Play By Post?

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Re: Heroes Unlimited Play By Post?

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 28 Oct 2015, 10:31

I'm happy to keep playing, I'm on the forums most days anyway.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Postby Omnicrat » 29 Oct 2015, 06:07

Same
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 29 Oct 2015, 06:13

It might be a good idea to recheck for interest, see if anyone else wants to play.
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 30 Oct 2015, 18:34

This didn't immediately die again, did it?
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 30 Oct 2015, 21:58

Nope. Still one person who had expressed interest who hasn't commented, so I was waiting on a reply there while simultaneously debating methods of investigating new interest.
theknightofiron
First Video: phailhaus episode 1

Postby theknightofiron » 30 Oct 2015, 22:52

hey i expressed interest in this ages ago.
not sure if you remember. but i'm still interested.
GNU - Bill Watt
Belgarion
First Video: The Wire

Postby Belgarion » 01 Nov 2015, 11:23

I wonder is Tzimisce is still interested? If I recall correctly he was the one who wanted you to randomize him.
If the scapegoat ever goes extinct, who are we going to blame?
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 01 Nov 2015, 23:34

theknightofiron, you were actually the one I meant when I said I was waiting on one more to chime in. Glad to see you're still on board.

I'm setting a goal of resuming this immediately following Desert Bus. In the mean time, I will be looking for new interest and putting forth some suggestions on how we can streamline play and reduce wait times. During this period, if anyone has any changes they want to make to their character, please speak up!
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 02 Nov 2015, 02:23

Just that one change I pm'd you about. I'm guessing that it's ok since it doesn't really affect anything.
theknightofiron
First Video: phailhaus episode 1

Postby theknightofiron » 02 Nov 2015, 04:06

i suppose i should create a character.
is there a time when i could get some help with that
GNU - Bill Watt
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 02 Nov 2015, 09:14

I think I like my character as-is. Going to be working on making the goop gun better, as it seems to be the best way to deal with walking nuclear bombs.
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 04 Nov 2015, 15:36

Belgarion, you are correct that that change is fine.

theknightofiron, if you're okay with PM assistance, we can fire back and forth at any time. If you'd like live assistance, that will depend a bit on which time zone you are in?

I just finished a 6 day straight run at my work, and I'm back for another shift tomorrow, so it may be Friday before I can reply again, just as a heads up.
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 08 Nov 2015, 12:22

First streamlining proposal:
Combat is, obviously, a bit of a slog using the current system. One person's turn can take up to a week to complete, if everyone involved is posting slowly and the action requires several dependent steps (such as rolling damage after getting a confirmation that they hit).

To save some time in this regard, I will ask that anyone who is making a damaging attack roll and post the damage along with their attack roll. If you don't know what your damage roll for a given attack is, by all means ask and wait for a reply, and I'll get back to you ASAP. Each time I receive such a question, I will edit the first post of this thread to put the relevant information there, so that players will have a place to refer to in the event that they forget.

Second streamlining proposal:
Waiting for people to post in initiative order can be a bit time consuming, and can result in players not getting any input into the fight for days at a time. I'd like to try a "simultaneous action" system, wherein each player declares their intention (and makes appropriate combat rolls) at the start of each round of attacks, and I post with a response based on initiative order. As each player's turn comes up, I'll resolve their intention if it's still viable using the rolls provided. If when your turn arrives your intention isn't viable anymore, or if an enemy's attack requires a reaction roll before your action can resolve, I'll post and ask the affected player if and how they want to adjust their character's actions.

I'm a little concerned that this adaptation might reduce opportunities for mid-combat roleplaying, and I'm hoping that reducing the wait between posts will make up for that. In addition, I hope that this increases the tension in combat in an enjoyable way.

Thoughts?
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 08 Nov 2015, 13:47

My opinions:

Proposal 1: this sounds like a very good solution and quite workable solution to me, I don't foresee any real problems cropping up with this.

Proposal 2: this also sounds quite workable, we will all still get our proposed action in, and you can take care of the order without any of us having to wait. It will also help us coordinate a little better I am thinking.

As for missing mid combat roleplaying, we can just add our comments, thoughts and movements etc in our posts. I am sure it won't be too confusing or take anything away from the overall feel of the game. And once we get used to seeing it, it will start to make sense.

As for changing things, that is a good idea, but combat can tend to get chaotic at times and there will be times when one of us gets in the way or causes some other little snafu. In the long run, I think, if you as the game master feel like an action might result in a little "naturally occurring" chaos and shouldn't be changed, I'd have no problem with that. Especially in a situation where two people have the same or one number difference initiative. It will probably add some comedy along the way too.

Overall I like both ideas and feel they are both quite workable.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 08 Nov 2015, 13:50

I'm happy with both. Let's do this thang!
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 21 Nov 2015, 10:35

Did this die?
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 21 Nov 2015, 13:50

It didn't die, I was just one of the volunteers at Desert Bus.
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 21 Nov 2015, 14:00

OK after reading more about desert bus I offer many apologies. I didn't realize how long it lasted. I thought it was just a few hours or so, not 2 weeks like it did last year.
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 22 Nov 2015, 02:07

If by "A few hours" you mean 159 in a row, then yeah, it was just a few hours. =P

I overestimated how much I could do outside of Desert Bus during the run, so I estimate another 2 days or so before the next post goes up.
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 26 Nov 2015, 01:14

Update: I am currently working on compiling character sheets for the new additions.

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”