World of Darkness Gameplay Thread

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

World of Darkness Gameplay Thread

Postby Prospero101 » 01 Feb 2015, 11:32

(This thread is for in-character use only. For other conversations regarding WoD, see the OOC thread.)

The Moonlight All-Night Diner, with its chrome and faux-leather booths, is by now a warm and comforting sight to you after a long day of work. At this point, the staff doesn't even bother to take your order. The burgers hit the grill as soon as you walk in. The greeting you get from your friends and the staff makes you feel like Norm from Cheers. Tonight's conversation doesn't take your typical meandering path through this week's latest LRRcast or draft video. Tonight you're planning the trip you've all been hemming and hawing about for months: a cross-country road trip to LRRcon!

(If you'd be so kind as to give a brief summary of who your character is before your first post, that'd be great. Remember, you're all friends and Runners who know each other quite well by now.)

CHARACTERS
Atifexe - Nate Goodman, game store employee and obsessive Wikipedia searcher
Jamfalcon - Nate Door, washed-up high school quarterback and part-time auto mechanic
Ix - Heidi Steinberg, Ambitious police detective seeking a life outside work
Belgarion - Mark Clark, semi-reformed street-punk turned med student
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Belgarion
First Video: The Wire

Re: World of Darkness Gameplay Thread

Postby Belgarion » 01 Feb 2015, 12:18

Meeting with his friends in the All-night Club is the highlight of Mark's week. As much as he loves the hard work and study he puts in to become a doctor, finding time to meet with dearly loved friends and talk about something other than medicine has become almost a necessity for the young Doctor in training.

A smile crosses the blonde haired young man's face as he is greeted in the usual fashion by friends and workers alike. At work and school he has to work hard to control his cursing, a holdover from his miss-spent youth, and is usually successful, but fails often enough to be known playfully as the foul-mouthed intern. Here however, he can let lose when he so chooses but even that has become less and less frequent, though not totally gone as yet.

Standing exactly six feet tall, the blonde haired, green eyed young man is of average build, perhaps a bit soft, but his face is open and honest as he takes his usual place at the table with his friends. "Hi guys!" he greets them enthusiastically, "I sure am looking forward to this trip. It will be a nice break from the books. How is everyone?" Even as he is speaking of taking a break from his school work, the thunk of the ever present medical texts betray Mark as he drops his backpack on the floor under the table.
If the scapegoat ever goes extinct, who are we going to blame?
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 01 Feb 2015, 13:22

"Hey there," Nate, or Big Nate, as he's known in this crowd, replies. "I can't wait to get out on the road. It's been way too long since I had a proper holiday." He runs his hand along his head and then stops, still getting used to the results of his decision to shave it bald. His friends have all heard the rants about how unfair it is that his hairline is receding, and when he's not even halfway through his twenties. He only just catches himself, sparing them from hearing it all again.

Even years after his football career ended, Big Nate's stature makes it hard to forget his tales of the glory days. Six foot three and well over two hundred pounds of muscle, he's built like a wall. And only slightly better spoken than one.

"I gave the car a tune up this afternoon, looks like it should get us at least half way," he continues, only half joking. "And at least one of you thought to pick up some food, right?"
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 02 Feb 2015, 08:21

Heidi looks up from her steak apologetically , hand over her mouth and chewing furiously. She is still wearing the majority of her uniform from the day's shift; blue shirt open at the collar, dark trousers and well-worn leather shoes. The biggest concession to the informality of the situation is her let-down hair; black and shoulder length, with a hint of her natural sandy blonde coming through at the roots. Although her slight frame makes her less of a physical presence than Big Nate, she nonetheless gives the impression of being hardened and sharp as a knife, as if ready to leap into action at a moments notice. She finishes her mouthful with a large, if somewhat unladylike, gulp.

"Sorry, my bad. Was going to hit Costco on my way here but something came up at work so it was shut by the time I got there. Should be able to stop off there in the morning though."

She pauses, chewing absent-mindedly on a potato.

"Actually, that reminds me- who wants to take first driving shift? I could do with some sleep for the first leg."
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 03 Feb 2015, 00:10

Nate looks up from his phone. His long brown hair is unbound, hanging around his pale, prominent cheek bones. As usual, he's overdressed; despite his less-than-glamorous job, he always seemed to wear the fanciest clothing he could afford, and would proceed to order the cheapest sandwich on the menu. His BLT is sitting half-eaten in front of him, all but forgotten. He'd been half listening to the conversation and half wrapped up in another article-hopping chain as he followed citations around the web.

"I'm afraid I can't drive, but I'm happy to chip in towards gas and food," he said. "What time are we meeting up, and do we all want to shop together before heading out?"
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 03 Feb 2015, 04:20

"Costco doesn't open until around 10 in the morning, " Mark notes between bites of his burger "Do we really want to wait til then? Although, it does sound like a good idea. There are couple of things we should pick up as a just in case."

Pausing to take a quick drink for his bottled water, the young doctor in training is not one for sugary drinks, he continues "As usual I sound like a bit of a worry wart, but it wouldn't hurt to grab a couple cases of bottled water and we should look for some foodstuffs that won't perish too quickly as well." With a quick impish grin at Big Nate "I know the chances are low, but it helps to be prepared, in case the car craps out on us somewhere on the Trans-Canada."

"What say we meet here about 8:30 for breakfast then hit Costco afterwards?"
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 03 Feb 2015, 19:03

"Yeah, that works for me," Big Nate replies with a lazy shrug, biting into one of The Moonlight's signature all-too salty fries. "I can take the first driving shift once we hit the road for real, but there's no chance in Hell I'm parking that thing in the Costco parking lot. And I've got my tools all packed just in case the worst comes to pass, but I'm sure that old car will outlive us all."

I wrote a book!
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 04 Feb 2015, 10:21

"No worries Big Nate. Getting what we need at Costco doesn't require all of us. We can make a list while we are eating breakfast. Then two of us can do the shopping while the other two stay with the car." Mark responds brightly, while being secretly delighted the big man decided to bring his tools along.

Actually if Mark is being honest with himself he'd be more surprised if Nate didn't bring his tools along. After all he himself made sure the first aid kit he always carried was packed. In fact he checked several times just to be sure. A craftsman wouldn't leave his tools behind, he thinks to himself in fact I'd be willing to bet Heidi is planning on bringing he gun and cuufs, and I am positive Mr. Goodman is bringing at least one method of connecting to the internet along.

OOC: Just for the record, if I put something in italics it means its my thoughts and isn't said out loud.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 04 Feb 2015, 13:35

Heidi rolls her eyes.

"Eurgh. Pre-8am wakeup on my day off..."

She sighs, before taking another mouthful of steak.

"Fine, I guess that works. Don't expect me to be at my best that time of the morning though"

She flashes a quick smile around the group at large
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 04 Feb 2015, 20:35

"Works fine for me!" Nate says enthusiastically. "Actually, I'm surprised I haven't asked yet - Are any of you planning on taking part in the Magic events?"

About the only thing that held his attention as firmly as his research was the subject of Magic. Bringing it up actually got him to put his phone away, and while he did immediately fill his hands with his sandwich, for once, his attention was actually focused on the group instead of split.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 04 Feb 2015, 21:06

"No way, man, if there's only one day, I'm not blowing half of it on one tournament. Got a lot of forum-folk to meet up with, board games to play, I hear there's going to be trivia..." Big Nate seems lost in his planning for a minute. "Not to mention I'm sure we're going to get lots in on the road. Speaking of..." he reaches into his coat and pulls out an oversized deck box. "Commander?" he asks, holding the deck out questioningly. "Commander? Commander?"

Of course, everyone else at the table is well aware that this will be his annoying netdecked Uril deck. Big Nate may be a lot of things, but creative is not one of them. Nor is being someone who can enjoy losing.

I wrote a book!
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 05 Feb 2015, 05:21

Mark shudders visibly when Nate mentions the magic tournament, then with a rueful grin he replies "We all know how that will turn out for me if I enter the tourney. I don't think I'll bother humiliating myself in public once again. " The young doctor loves the game but since he started med school he hasn't had much time to keep up with magic. In fact, and wihtout really realizing it, he is probably at least one of two sets behind. Probably more.

"I think I'll follow Big Nate's lead and check out what's new in in the role-playing games."

With a heavy sigh, Mark drags his backpack out from under the table with his foot and feels around inside for his decidedly inferior and outdated Commander deck.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 05 Feb 2015, 06:15

Heidi turns back to her steak with renewed gusto. She never played Magic before she started hanging with these guys, and even then only on occasion- most of her free time is taken up with, according to her, "catching up on sleep, work, the firing range and Netflix". As she finishes up the last mouthfuls, her attention wanders momentarily, waiting for the inevitable grunting/cackling sound that signifies Uril has hit the table. She's still not entirely sure what she wants out of this trip, and is uncomfortable admitting so.
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Feb 2015, 06:23

That seems like a good place for a scene break.

You're not entirely sure what time it is the next morning when you pull into the small parking lot in front of the diner. All you know is that it's Too Goddamn Early. The diner's not even open so you can have breakfast (the "All-Night" is something of an affectation).

Big Nate's already waiting out front with his beaten, but sturdy station wagon. It doesn't get very good gas mileage, but it has space for all of you and your stuff.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 05 Feb 2015, 08:15

Bleary-eyed, Heidi drags herself from her car (2011 VW GTi) and wordlessly loads herself up from the boot. It's nothing particularly impressive; a smallish suitcase, a black, unmarked holdall that clunks around when she lifts it, and her tattered green rucksack. Thus laden up, she proceeds precariously over to Nate's car with a murmured "Mornin'", before trudging around the back and tugging at the boot. She glances back up towards Nate.

"Mind unlocking it for me?"
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 05 Feb 2015, 12:05

Being a full time student Mark doesn't have the extra money for a car so he's stuck taking public transportation most of the time. Today, however, he opted for a cab to ensure he arrived on time.

Hopping out with he flips his stuffed backpack over one shoulder then reaches in a grabs what appears to be a doctor's bag. Though in this case it holds mainly clothes and toiletries for this trip.

"Morning" he says brightly as he makes his way over to the station wagon.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 05 Feb 2015, 18:19

Big Nate, seeing his friends, climbs out of the back seat of the station wagon. "Hey guys, just toss 'em in wherever they fit." He pops open the trunk and stands aside. Inside, his single bag lies on it's side, only half zipped up, showing the full range of his torn blue jeans and flannel shirts. "Now, where's Shrimpy Nate at?"

I wrote a book!
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 05 Feb 2015, 20:19

At about that moment, Nate walks up. He has two pieces of luggage; one is a small, black, soft-sided bag and the other is a somewhat fancy-looking, if aged, briefcase. The latter is easily recognized as his preferred method of carrying around Magic cards.

"Sorry about that. Transit isn't very cooperative in the mornings," he says. "Are we all set?"
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 Feb 2015, 03:20

Heidi's bags thump into the boot*

"We'll need to stop off somewhere on the way to pick up supplies, but looks good other than that. Meanwhile..."

She walks around the front of the car...

"...shotgun"

...and promptly plonks herself down in the front passenger seat. Judging by the way her head is flopped back against the headrest, she is unlikely to prove responsive.

*Yeah yeah, I know.
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 06 Feb 2015, 04:40

"Maybe Web here," Mark indicates Nate the webhead with a fond smile "can locate a Costco along the way. If not we can always hit a grocery store somewhere." As he is making his comment, Mark places his bag and backpack in the back with the others.

"We should also think about grabbing some breakfast before too long as well" he adds as he slides into the seat behind Heidi.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 07 Feb 2015, 11:17

"Well, no sense in standing around and talking here," Big Nate says, climbing into the driver's seat. "Keep your eyes out for somewhere good with a drive through. I want to get some good miles behind us today!"

He puts the key in the ignition and turns it. The rusted beast moans, chugs, and then finally whimpers to life. The grumbling rumbling of the engine makes it difficult for the people in the back to hear Big Nate and Heidi talking unless they raise their voice. Which Big Nate does.

"Sorry about the noise! After all the tuning up, I didn't have a chance to patch the muffler. It shouldn't be so bad when we're not idling though! Now..." he looks around in an overwrought dramatic manner. "Are we ready to drive across this country?"

I wrote a book!
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 07 Feb 2015, 11:26

A huge grin plays across Mark's face "I guess now is as good a time as any." he shouts in response.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 07 Feb 2015, 11:31

Heidi briefly opens one eye and manages a weak smile.

"Sure. Let's do this."
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 08 Feb 2015, 07:50

Big Nate, as usual, seemed to be exaggerating. You haven't made half the distance suggested on Webhead Nate's extremely detailed travel itinerary before you have to pull over for gas. The gas station is an oasis of harsh flourescent light in the darkness of the early evening. Its sign is beaten, rusty and weathered, but you can barely make out "LAST GAS" written on it in art deco script.

As you pull in next to the rusty, old-fashioned pumps, you can see a street sign a few yards down the highway: "STARKESBOROUGH, MASS. CITY LIMITS. POP: 1,267."

Someone should poke Heidi to make sure she hasn't died.

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 08 Feb 2015, 10:04

Almost before the car stops Mark jumps out of the car and stretches hos arms and legs. He then leans in the window and gently nudges Heidi "Washroom break Heidi."

Taking his own advice he heads for the station looking for the key to the washroom.

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”