World of Darkness Gameplay Thread

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Re: World of Darkness Gameplay Thread

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Feb 2015, 12:20

As the man faces away from the pair of them, Heidi leans over to Webhead Nate and whispers: "Looking away now. Ideas?"

Dexterity + Stealth yields 2 successes
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Belgarion
First Video: The Wire

Postby Belgarion » 22 Feb 2015, 12:38

I hope I got this right;

Wits + Investigation = 5 - 2 from being shaken = 3

so 5 rolls of 3 dice, instead of 5 rolls of 5 dice

Roll 1: 10, 7, 2 extra roll: 2
Roll 2: 6, 5, 4
Roll 3: 4, 5, 5
Roll 4: 10, 8, 10 extra rolls: 3, 3
Roll 5: 10, 4, 5 extra roll: 10 extra extra roll: 2

so its a total of 6 successes in 5 rolls
If the scapegoat ever goes extinct, who are we going to blame?
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 22 Feb 2015, 12:55

So you search through the hardware store for most of an hour. Unfortunately, pickings are even slimmer than you expected. You find an old fashioned flashlight that runs on batteries the size of your fist, but at least it works. You also find a coil of rope hanging from a hook on one of the shelves. Its label boasts that it's ten feet long. Sadly, you don't find anything you could really use as an effective weapon. The flashlight is pretty hefty, but you run the risk of shattering the bulb doing that.

Meanwhile!

Suddenly the man's head snaps to the left, and his nostrils flare as if he smelled something. "Tamperers. Scavengers. Intruders. Thieves. They must not remain at the appointed moment. I must go." With that, he takes a step outside the pool of light cast by the flickering bulb and disappears from view. A cold wind washes over you, jostling your hair, and then it's gone. On its way out it causes the rickety table holding all your stuff to rock slightly back and forth. Seems like it might tip over with enough encouragement.

Back at the hardware store, out of nowhere a silhouette appears in the pool of flickering fluorescent light in the back by the workbench. A familiar voice reaches your ears.

"Get. Out."
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 22 Feb 2015, 13:01

(Since Big Nate didn't help look and I won't risk the chance die, I'll just say he's been following Mark and keeping a lookout.)

Big Nate jumps at the sudden sound and spins around to face it. He raises his tire iron threateningly, clenching it far more tightly than is comfortable in an effort to work out his fear in a less visible way. "You're not going to take us too, not so easily!" He shouts out. "Tell me where our friends are!"
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 22 Feb 2015, 13:04

Mark whirls, dropping the rope, at the sound of the voice, his heart in his throat. He knows that voice and even though it is close to scaring the living shit out of him he stands his ground and says in a firm yet quite shaky voice "We're not leaving without our friends!"

As e speaks he reaches his shaking hand around his back feeling for the comfort of the wrench he grabbed from Nate's toolbox.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 22 Feb 2015, 18:53

"Really? It was that wobbly?" Nate watches the table as it settles back from its rocking. While Heidi was pushing the buttons of their captor, he watched with a slight feeling of satisfaction that his shot in the dark had provoked such a reaction. Still, there were some deeply unsettling implications to the comments made by the flickering man. He once again scans the room for anything useful.

"These are your handcuffs, right? What do you think the odds are that the keys are on that table?" Nate asks Heidi, jerking his head in the direction of the nearby surface.

(Which of us is closer to the table? Also, a search roll - Wits + Investigation yields 9, 9, 1, 3, 5)
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 24 Feb 2015, 13:53

Sorry for the delay, folks. Real life gets in the way of nerdiness sometimes.

To answer Nate's question, he's the one closer to the table. His investigation roll reveals that the bottom rivets of the old heater to which he and Heidi are chained, the ones bolting it to the wall and floor, are exceptionally rusty and crooked. Maybe with enough leverage you could rip it out of the floor.

In the hardware store, combat is about to start!

Combat - Click to Expand
Stage One: Intent
All parties involved in the conflict state what they want to get out of the fight. These are simple "I want..." statements. This lets me determine whether or not the rules for surrender apply or if this combat is to be "down and dirty," or lethal.

Stage Two: Initiative
Initiative is calculated with a roll of 1d10 + the Initiative mod on your character sheet. As with most other games, the characters with the highest Initiative go first, and we move in descending order. If you hhave a weapon readied, don't forget to apply the weapon's initiative modifier too.

Stage Three: Attack
Unarmed Attack: Strength + Brawl vs. Defense
Melee Attack: Strength + Weaponry vs. Defense
Ranged Attack: Dexterity + Firearms
Thrown Weapons: Dexterity + Athletics vs. Defense
Defense is typically subtracted directly from the attack dice pool.

Stage Four: The Storyteller (me) describes the attack and wound in narrative terms.

Misc.: You can move up to your Speed in yards (or meters, for you Communist metric types) and still attack. If you so choose, you can sprint and move double your Speed, but forgo your attack for the turn.

So, Stage One: Declare Intent. This ghost-man-thing wants Big Nate and Mark out of Starkesborough right now. If he can't scare them off, he's going to kill them. Big Nate and Mark, what's your intent for this fight? Also include your Initiative roll in the same post.

The ghost-man-thing's Defense is 3. Make sure to subtract that from all melee attack dice pools directed at him.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 24 Feb 2015, 14:15

OOC: Damn real life...doesn't it know how important our nerdiness is to us?

And with my -2 penalty I'm at a big disadvantage here, lol

BIC: Mark glances quickly over at Nate to try and gauge what his intent is, although he is pretty sure already. Gripping his wrench tighter, Mark looks scared but determined, as he moves cautiously forward intent on trying to cave the man's skull in.

Initiative: 5 + 7 = 12 - 2 (weapon) = 10

Question: Since I have the -2 penalty my melee attack rolls work out to be a negative number

Str (2) + Weaponry (1) = 3 - 3 (his defense) = 0 - 2(shaken) = -2

Does this mean I don't get an attack or shouldn't bother even trying?
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 24 Feb 2015, 14:30

No, you're still going to attack. However, this will be the roll you auto-fail that resolves your Shaken Condition. We'll get back to that once your turn comes up.

Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 24 Feb 2015, 14:42

"Hey, look at this!" Nate calls Heidi's attention to the rusted, weakened fasteners. "What do you think, should we break this radiator off, or should we try to tip that table over and hope for keys?"
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 24 Feb 2015, 15:07

Heidi thinks for half a second.

"If we knock the table over, chances are that key ain't just going to waltz over to us. I reckon we try to get off this thing first- and quick. Together on three? One... Two..."

(What do I roll here?)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 24 Feb 2015, 16:59

Big Nate grits his teeth. He's not going to strike first, because he isn't entirely sure if the man will be willing to talk or not. But if any hostile action is taken, he plans to swing for the kneecaps as hard as he can.

Initiative: roll of 9 plus modifier of 4 is 13, minus 3 for his weapon totals to 10.

I wrote a book!
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 26 Feb 2015, 08:39

Heidi and Webhead:

Just raw Strength is fine, I think. However, since the two of you are working together, this is a teamwork action, which means we need to figure out who is the primary actor and who is assisting.

Mark and Big Nate:

The Initiative order for the fight is thus:

Ghost-Man-Thing: 14
Mark: 10
Big Nate: 10 (in the event of a tie, priority goes to the character with the higher Wits)
???: 9

The "???" is an as-yet unknown party that takes no sides in this particular conflict, but is pretty pissed to have a fight going on in its demesne.

The ghost-man-thing's hands and eyes begin to glow with a hazy purple light as he grits his teeth and snarls: "I said, get OUT!" He raises a hand and Big Nate can hear a bucket of screws nearby rattle behind him.

Pool of 7 dice minus Big Nate's Defense of 5 comes out to 2 dice. 1 success.

The bucket of screws suddenly flies up into the air and swings out over Big Nate, showering him with heavy, rusty screws and lugnuts. He takes one point of bashing damage.

It's now Mark's turn. However, I'm taking over his attack so we can resolve his Shaken Condition. Mark takes an attack roll and automatically fails. He charges at the ghost-man-thing, leaping over the counter and taking a mighty swing at the figure in the pool of light!

But the ghost-man-thing disappears at the last moment, sending Mark barreling through thin air and slumping over the old workbench with a thud. The ghost-man-thing rematerializes in the pool of light, and his condescending chuckle resonates through the empty hardware store.

Mark resolves his Shaken Condition, taking several deep breaths and managing to find some measure of focus within himself. What's more, he is PISSED. Mark is sick and tired of this...this THING pushing him around, kidnapping his friends, and ruining this trip. He is now determined to make this thing pay and get his friends back. Mark, you get a Beat and regain a point of Willpower for resolving your Condition.

It's Big Nate's turn now.

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 26 Feb 2015, 09:14

Well, since Heidi's doing the counting down let's say she is the primary actor. What does that mean?
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 26 Feb 2015, 09:25

That means that Nate, being the assistant, will roll first. Any successes on his roll will add to the success of yours. So if he rolls one success and you roll two, the action gets a total of three successes. Teamwork!

Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 26 Feb 2015, 09:58

Nate tenses as Heidi counts down, bracing his hands on the cuffs. When the moment comes, he pulls with all of his meager might.

Rolling raw Strength means I get one die. Lucky for me, that roll is an eight.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 26 Feb 2015, 10:19

...and I rolled two ones. Great
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 26 Feb 2015, 10:25

Okay, so, Heidi gets a stitch in her side from attempting to lift her side of the radiator. But Nate finds enough leverage to get one leg loose out of the floor. The heater can now move back and forth in a small arch as if it were on a hinch.

It seems like, if you swing out the radiator far enough, the edge of the table will be just within Nate's arms reach.

Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 26 Feb 2015, 10:49

Confused but not deterred by Ghost-Man's abilities, Big Nate hopes that he can be quick enough to hit him before he can vanish. He lunges directly at him, swinging the tire iron with all of his might.

Pool of 5, minus Ghost-Man's defense of 3 means two dice. Results: 4 and 1.

I wrote a book!
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 26 Feb 2015, 14:20

"Shitting ****nuggets"

Heidi was never the most ladylike of people.

"Nate, can you grab anything off that table yet? I wanna be long gone from here 'fore that clock hits midnight"
Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 26 Feb 2015, 14:32

Mark slowly unwinds himself from the workbench bringing his wrench with him. He turns and the anger in his eyes makes it look like he is ready to bite an anvil in half and spit nails. He keeps his lips clenched tightly together in order to keep himself from recalling every last bit of the vocabulary he used to use when he was a street punk. Raising the wrench, Mark readies himself to do all he can to annihilate this creature.

(Just wanted to add a little color, :) )
Prospero101

Postby Prospero101 » 28 Feb 2015, 08:28

By all accounts, Big Nate's mighty swing should have brained Ghost-Man and sent him sprawling. But instead the heavy tire iron passes directly through Ghost-Man's head as if nothing is there. Ghost-Man's expression dissolves from condescending to bored.

It's ???'s turn now. The door to the hardware store flies open with an out-of-place merry jingle of its bell. The deafening whispers from outside immediately resume, but for the first time you can understand what they're saying:

"Gone gone GONE GONE GONE GONE GONE! Gone got us gone, gone, gone. Couldn't get Gone gone, got us gone. Dead dead red iron gets Gone gone, gone too fast for dead red iron!"

What the hell is "dead iron?" Is "Gone" Ghost-Man's name? The dead residents of Starkesborough are definitely trying to communicate with you.

(Feel free to talk to each other when it's not your turn. That doesn't count as an action.)

It's Ghost-Man's turn again. He levels a fist at Big Nate's gut and attempts to punch him backward. Pool of 8 dice minus Nate's Defense of 5 is 3 dice. 5, 6, 1. No successes! Ghost-Man punches at Nate, but Nate is too far outside the pool of light and his fist disappears before it can connect.

It's Mark's turn now.

Belgarion

Postby Belgarion » 28 Feb 2015, 09:37

Turning just in time to see Nate's swing pass through their opponent Mark is starting to conclude that its going to take something more than a regular weapon to harm him or it. He raises his wrench anyway and as he does so the door bursts open, but that doesn't deter Mark from making his swing in an attempt to verify his newly formed theory.

OOC: Not going use a point of willpower just yet. So its one regular roll with a penalty (roll is: 7) I'll leave it up to you to apply penalties etc.

BIC: As he swings his mind starts working on the riddle the suddenly understandable voices are trying to convey.

Dead red iron? Wonder what that means? he thinks.

"Nate!? Got any idea was dead red iron means?" Mark asks after recovering from his attempt at attacking. As the last word escapes his lips Mark has a flash of inspiration, for lack of a better term. He speaks almost before the idea is fully formed in his head "Nate. The voice said "dead red iron" right? Blood is red because there is iron in it, and if we lose too much of it we're dead. Try rubbing some blood on the striking end of your tire-iron!"
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 28 Feb 2015, 21:56

Webhead attempts to swing the radiator out and stretches his arm as far as he can reach, just barely getting his fingers on the table. "Blast! I can't reach any of our stuff, but I think I've got enough of a grip that I can tip this table over. What do you think, Heidi? Should we try yanking again, or do you want me to dump the stuff towards us?"
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 01 Mar 2015, 02:09

"Kinda worked last time- on three. One, two..."

(This time, my rolls yield one success)

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”