Looking for GM advice

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Looking for GM advice

Postby chetoos » 07 Mar 2016, 13:21

Hey, so one of my players in my campaign, I'm running the Iron Gods campaign in Pathfinder, is an illusion focused wizard who also does conjuration as their secondary, and they like to use pit spells. If they cast an illusion spell to make the floor look like the floor, then cast a pit under the floor, what happens when someone walks over the pit?
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: Looking for GM advice

Postby Master Gunner » 07 Mar 2016, 14:00

If they're casting Illusory Wall to hide the pit, then the person walking over would fall through. If they use a spell that specifies a tangible component, like Wall of Stone (technically a Conjuration spell), then you'd be able to walk over it.

Ultimately, that the pit was created magically isn't really relevant to this scenario - once cast, it simply exists and is treated as a natural pit unless specified otherwise.

That said, as the GM, what actually happens depends on whatever you decide should happen. If you want to do it Animaniacs-style, where the victim only falls if they pass a perception check to realize they're walking on an illusion, then go for it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Re: Looking for GM advice

Postby chetoos » 07 Mar 2016, 21:09

I also asked Jer on twitter, and he said that they should get a will save if they're suspicious of the floor, or just a reflex save at a penalty if they're not, so what I've decided is if an enemy would walk into the pit and is suspicious, or if a player walks next to a pit, they get a will save to notice the sloped ground, secret for players. Then, if they fail that, or if the enemy isn't suspicious, they get their penalized reflex save when they would enter the pit square.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”