Help me turn LRR crew into characters

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
negativeview
First Video: Friday Nights #1

Help me turn LRR crew into characters

Postby negativeview » 21 Sep 2016, 10:43

Background: I am running a Firefly RPG game. I have a hard time ever remembering NPC names, so I started naming them after LRR crew members. I have many of them, but want to insert more. I've run out of the "easy" characters to do and need help with the more challenging. To help you will be ideally familiar with both LRR and Firefly.

Here's what I have so far, in roughly the order introduced:

Graham - A mechanic that planted a tracking device in the crew's ship. This was my first panic-name. Not happy with how minor of a role I gave to a big name, I have since introduced Kate and made him having a crush on one of the PCs in order to justify his repeated appearances. Because this was a panic name, his personally is pretty ... normal. Just a dude. Borderline pathetic when it comes to interpersonal relationships.

Kathleen - Was the head of a science facility making what's essentially Pax v2. Corrupt to the core. The PCs destroyed that facility, but she escaped and is on the loose now. Modeled after the more evil depictions of Kathleen mixed a bit with the "weefees" character.

Beej - Worked as a hacker during the war. Had a mental break after the war and started making artificial limbs for veterans. And drinking. But mostly drinking. Is starting to recover now, which makes me kinda sad. Drunk Beej was fun and was modeled after ... well, anything Beej has acted in for LRR. He is always a bit unstable.

Cameron - A white collar criminal who seems to have a vendetta against Blue Sun (the main bad guy in this campaign, barely mentioned in official lore). The PCs haven't located him yet to figure out what's up. This one's less based on a character Cameron has played and more based on what I imagine Cameron would fall back to if his normal life fell apart.

Paul - An epidemiologist that they recused from Kathleen then gave a new identity to. He's now known as Robert Paulson. Basically scientist Paul.

Kate Stark - Bad ass bounty hunter. Is officially after one of my PCs, Cameron, and River Tam. And is very protective of her brother.

Ian - Head of the "ministry of information." Basically, the guy in the government that covers up bad things.

Tally - One of the heads of the Russian mafia. I'm not particularly happy with this one, and might change it if you get to me in time (the players aren't aware yet).

Alex - A crazy hermit in the woods who spouts conspiracy theories. Some of them are true, so the government is hunting him to shut him up. The players are also hunting him (and should find him next session) to learn what he knows.

Here's who I really want to add, but am having trouble with:

James, Matt, Jeremy, Ash, Missie, Adam, Serge

Just due to the pieces of LRR I watch, these to me are "the crew." The ones that are left either appear rarely (Ash, for instance), or mostly play normal people who aren't easy to caricature (James). So if you have ideas of how to caricature these people, let me hear them!
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Re: Help me turn LRR crew into characters

Postby chetoos » 17 Oct 2016, 08:54

James is always the cop, so maybe he's a parliment operative or just a particularly high ranking member of the police?

Matt as the personification of the Frump... He could be a disgruntled Ex-alliance guy?

Jer... make him tied in with Tally somehow, that's the best I have.

Ash is spoopy, since she liked Halloween and dressing in black/goth things, so maybe she has powers like River, but keeps them hidden better? My headcanon is that Kaylee has powers like River, but for machines, and that the powers are going to grow in future generations, so it's not outside the realm of plausibility, just hard to adhoc rules.

Adam as a gamer with serious skill in the real world. I don't remember if Firefly has VR, but maybe that's how he got his skills?

Serge is a MTG judge, so maybe he's a judge who's disillusioned with Alliance and can offer aid to the crew?

These are just off the top of my head, so feel free to modify them, but I hope they help.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
OneTrueChungus
First Video: Friday Nights: In Command

Re: Help me turn LRR crew into characters

Postby OneTrueChungus » 20 Oct 2016, 19:30

I agree with james as a cop, id love to see him as a Zac Meatfist-esque character.

Matt should be a frumpy ex alliance guard for sure.

I like the idea of serge running a friendlt coffee shop, that fences stolen goods or some such.

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”