Escape From Semolo Plateau

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
tbug

Escape From Semolo Plateau

Postby tbug » 15 Jan 2018, 21:10

People wanted to see the custom backgrounds that I made for the game, so here they are:

Conservationist

Many of the people in Faerûn look at the way that the Chultans treat their environment and take it upon themselves to put a stop to practices they find objectionable. They often pay locals to do the actual work. You are one of those locals, and you were caught trying to disrupt the village’s primary economic resource.

Skill Proficiencies: Animal Handling, Persuasion
Feature: You have a sponsor in Port Nyanzaru who has hired you to thwart the exploitation of the spotted melfanda lizard. This sponsor is from Faerûn, and you may create this character or ask Dale to do so. Your sponsor has promised to pay you five hundred gold coins if you travel to Port Nyanzaru to collect it.

Deserter
You used to be part of the village militia, but you got sick of fighting off undead pteranodons and flesh-eating fungal pods. You had a plan and had almost completely succeeded at carrying it out when you got caught.

Skill Proficiencies: Deception, Sleight of Hand
Feature: You stole equipment from the militia before you were caught, and it is still divided between two secure spots. One cache is in the village itself and the other is two days away in the jungle. During character creation, you must specify which equipment is in which cache. The two caches combined contain the following pieces of equipment, each of which is easily identifiable at a glance as belonging to the village militia: one suit of leather armour, one suit of hide armour, one shield, four stone daggers, one greatclub, four spears, one flail, one longbow, and sixty-four arrows.

Framed
You are imprisoned for a crime that you didn’t commit. Someone in the village has it in for you, and you were framed. You’ve been doing your time, but you’ve also been honing your skills in figuring out who did this to you and why.

Alignment Access: You can be Lawful.
Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Investigation
Feature: Someone in the village believes that you’re innocent. You may create this character or ask Dale to do so. You may provide up to four clues that you’ve figured out concerning the identity of the one who framed you. You have Advantage in any roll that you make opposing this person once you determine his or her identity.

Necromancer
About a day’s travel from the village is the stronghold of Avu-Nihar, the necromancer. He believes in flaunting local taboos against so-called “arcane” magic, and occasionally takes on short-term students. You were one of them.

Class Access: You can be a member of any arcane spellcasting class.
Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, Medicine
Feature: You have a safe place to stay if you can make it to Avu-Nihar’s stronghold. He will provide you with basic aid and shelter, and will cast spells on your behalf.

Poacher
You were captured attempting to poach spotted melfanda lizards from the plateau.

Skill Proficiencies: Nature, Survival
Feature: You know the immediate area off the plateau, and you can find your way to the village if you are anywhere within a two-day trek. You have a contact in Port Nyanzaru. You may create this character or ask Dale to do so.

Tomb Raider
You are a native of the continent of Faerûn. You journeyed to Chult with the intention of plundering its riches. You were captured while trying to raid an important local tomb and have been imprisoned since.

Skill Proficiencies: none (but see Feature)
Feature: You must make your character using the races and classes in the Player’s Handbook (subject to campaign alignment restrictions).
Dale
tbug

Re: Escape From Semolo Plateau

Postby tbug » 16 Jan 2018, 08:43

Here's the list of "nuts & berries" the PCs were sent to gather.

The mayor wishes you to gather the following things:

[ ] enough sweet white halna berries for a large dessert
[ ] at least seven white necronof berries
[ ] honey
[ ] twelve large marobo tree leaves (keep them pretty)
[ ] forty-two hanoba nuts
[ ] one live hindzim fly
[ ] three drops of venom from a gorbaga spider (or its entire head)
[ ] one cubic inch of spider web
[ ] seven intact mosquitoes (don’t have to be alive, but can’t have any blood)
[ ] one live spotted melfanda lizard that has never tasted red semlomo fern
[ ] one t-rex eyeball (fresh)
Dale
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 16 Jan 2018, 11:56

Thanks! These all looks really interesting, and the "grocery" list still makes me chuckle. Looking forward to next episode.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
tbug

Postby tbug » 21 Jan 2018, 14:00

(This is the handout I gave Paul about the details of him being framed.)

Dande Was Framed

While in prison you’ve had a lot of time to think about the incident that landed you there. You arrived at the plateau just in time for a big party; the mayor’s sister was getting married to the son of a chief of one of the local human nomadic groups. It was a great celebration, and people were surprised to see you since you look nothing like the local tabaxi.

You soon found yourself in a group of people who were very interested in your journey across Chult. You told them stories and described your encounters and showed them your drawings and generally explained what life was like on distant parts of the island continent. People kept giving you food and drink, and at one point you got distracted.

The next thing you remember is waking up next to a burning hut. Some oil and a firestarter were in your hands. You had a massive lump on your head and an even more massive headache. You were accused of arson and quickly sentenced to four years in prison.

You have thought carefully about all of this. In your opinion, you know three things about whoever framed you.

1. This person was listening to your stories. (No one else could have snuck up behind you.)
  2. The person is human. (The firestarter was all wrong for tabaxi hands, and the only people listening to you were humans and tabaxi.)
  3. The person is male. (You have recovered one vague memory of being carried, and one of the people carrying you said, “He wants us to put him just outside the hut.”)

You have therefore narrowed your suspect list to five people:

1. The mayor (Doti)
  2. The village’s chief carpenter (Zektro)
  3. The village’s poison master (Harimm)
  4. The militia chief (Hoorook)
  5. The Sage’s assistant (Bebbo)
Dale
GlorySeer
First Video: The Job

Postby GlorySeer » 28 Jan 2018, 01:59

Thanks for posting all these pieces of information Dale. It's really cool to see the behind-the-scenes stuff that we as viewers wouldn't be able to see otherwise. The original backgrounds do make me wonder if Morra is actually a Conservationist or if she's a poacher given she isn't a local. That could also be explained away by Morra being so overly eager that she decided to take matters into her own hands.

The campaign itself has been a lot of fun too. It has already become my favorite part of the week. In no small part because you've been nailing everything out of the park. So thank you.
tbug

Postby tbug » 29 Jan 2018, 11:51

Thanks for the kind words! The Semolo Plateau wiki page has a review of the stuff said about the setting as well as a partial character list (that probably needs updating by now, if you're feeling bored.

As for Morra, you'll have to ask Kathleen! :D
Dale
tbug

Postby tbug » 29 Jan 2018, 15:17

Here are the rules for hang gliding off the plateau and reaching the fallen suspension bridge.

Hang Gliding Off the Plateau

Checks are made with either Acrobatics or Athletics. Your target number is 10. If you fail by 5 or more then dire things happen. If you fail by less than 5 then you may immediately make a second check to recover at DC 12 instead of 10. If you fail this then dire things happen. If you succeed by 10 (ie you get 20 or more) then you did so well that you have Advantage on the next round’s hang gliding check.

Round One: Launch successfully in the correct direction. (Small creatures have Disadvantage on this roll.)

Round Two: Maintain altitude. (Small creatures have Advantage on this roll.)

Round Three: Accurately reach the fallen bridge instead of a random piece of cliffside.
Dale
TinyGhostOfEmilyCarr
First Video: A Part of Our Heritage

Postby TinyGhostOfEmilyCarr » 09 Mar 2018, 14:45

DM notes found in supermarket aisle:
randompherret

Postby randompherret » 20 Mar 2018, 05:24

Hi Dale,

Do you have a listing of the cool items you handed out? I am starting a campaign this friday and really liked them.

Thank you for the great content!
MaeAloril
First Video: Rapid Fire Episode 2

Postby MaeAloril » 22 Mar 2018, 11:41

I just want to say, Dale, that this whole campaign was amazing and thanks for all your hard work that you put into it. It was informative as it was entertaining and you are my favorite type of DM. Adding to my bucket list "Playing in one of Dale's campaigns". Thanks again! ::hugggz::
Salihcin
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Salihcin » 22 Mar 2018, 17:32

Hi Dale, loving the campaign. I was wondering if you could please tell me what tool you used for tracking initiative in combat? I've been searching for a good one for ages and the one you use looks really cool. Thanks in advance, keep up the great DMing :)
GlorySeer

Postby GlorySeer » 22 Mar 2018, 22:26

Not Dale, but from what I remember the tool was made by Paul himself. I've not used it myself, but when looking for similar 5e resources I found this: https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/initiative/

In any case I agree with the others. That was a lot of fun. It was interesting that Bebbo turned out to be not that bad. He made Snak's tribe rich for one. And I do think he didn't kill the mayor. Even attacking the fortress seemed more him being dumb than anything.

I'm curious of a few things though. Like if there was a plan for if/when characters died (like if everyone had failed the save against the Giggle Demon). I was also wondering just how much was planned in terms of the personal backgrounds of the characters ahead of time. Like the dinoskull tribe details, Bontan and his cousin, Morra's mom showing up. I guess I'm more curious how much of the structure there had been to start.

And of course there's a ton of stuff that I'm sure lots of people are curious about in terms of lines the game could have gone. Opening that door or helping the monochromatic elf, working for the half-dragon, basically every job the group turned down. :P But I'm not sure we'll ever find stuff like that out. Same with things like where Bebbo learned his magic and who killed the mayor. And the dragon who showed up.

But yeah. More than anything, I'm just glad it happened. Even if we don't revisit this campaign specifically, I do hope you'll be able to come back. Of course now we also get to look forward to Cameron running some more Plateau fun.
tbug

Postby tbug » 23 Mar 2018, 17:26

Thank-you everybody for the kind words! I'm glad people enjoyed the stream!

randompherret wrote:Do you have a listing of the cool items you handed out? I am starting a campaign this friday and really liked them.

I don't have a list, but this is clearly something I'm going to have to compile. Some of them were just variations on existing items, like Morra's bag of tricks (which is in the DMG, just with different monster lists) or Snak's magic longsword (just with something nasty happening eventually). I'm sorry that I don't have a more comprehensive list handy that I can just paste in.

Best of luck in your new campaign!

MaeAloril wrote:I just want to say, Dale, that this whole campaign was amazing and thanks for all your hard work that you put into it. It was informative as it was entertaining and you are my favorite type of DM. Adding to my bucket list "Playing in one of Dale's campaigns". Thanks again! ::hugggz::

Thank-you! I hope your games are fun and full of "yes". :)

Salihcin wrote:Hi Dale, loving the campaign. I was wondering if you could please tell me what tool you used for tracking initiative in combat? I've been searching for a good one for ages and the one you use looks really cool. Thanks in advance, keep up the great DMing :)

As GlorySeer pointed out, the initiative tracker was coded by Paul. He did a great job, and I loved having the initiative visible not only to the viewers but also to the players.

GlorySeer wrote:I'm curious of a few things though. Like if there was a plan for if/when characters died (like if everyone had failed the save against the Giggle Demon).

There was a plan for what happened after a TPK, but I was hoping not to have to use it. I confess I was kind of curious about seeing at least one PC become undead, either Bontan undergoing the transformation Jalli and Balia experience or else one of the other PCs becoming a skungler. As it was, however, that was not to be (at least not in season one).

GlorySeer wrote:I was also wondering just how much was planned in terms of the personal backgrounds of the characters ahead of time. Like the dinoskull tribe details, Bontan and his cousin, Morra's mom showing up. I guess I'm more curious how much of the structure there had been to start.

Kathleen described Morra's mom during character creation, and I knew right away that she would be making an appearance (probably but not certainly an indirect one, which is what worked out). I worked out the details of the dinoskull Batiri tribe based on how Graham talked about them and gave him a handout a couple sessions before they showed up so that he knew what was going on, but didn't name anyone other than the queen. (His reaction to Moof was improvised.) I planned from the start to have the tribe show up. Beej had talked a little about his tribe, including some comments about his general relationship with them, but he hadn't given me any names. I made up Balia and Beej just ran with it. I knew I wanted his tribe represented, but as session one began I was still bouncing a couple of ideas around as to how that would work out.

Did I your question? I feel I may have rambled a little there.

GlorySeer wrote:And of course there's a ton of stuff that I'm sure lots of people are curious about in terms of lines the game could have gone. Opening that door or helping the monochromatic elf, working for the half-dragon, basically every job the group turned down. :P But I'm not sure we'll ever find stuff like that out. Same with things like where Bebbo learned his magic and who killed the mayor. And the dragon who showed up.

My notes are probably unintelligible to anyone else at this point, but I'm still going to resist the urge to show them to you in case I get to run more of this stuff down the line. If I do it seems strange to think that none of those things would be revealed.
Dale
MaeAloril
First Video: Rapid Fire Episode 2

Postby MaeAloril » 24 Mar 2018, 19:05

Salihcin wrote:Hi Dale, loving the campaign. I was wondering if you could please tell me what tool you used for tracking initiative in combat? I've been searching for a good one for ages and the one you use looks really cool. Thanks in advance, keep up the great DMing :)

Actually, Paul coded tye initiative tracker, Dale thanks him for it in the first episode
GlorySeer

Postby GlorySeer » 25 Mar 2018, 13:47

tbug wrote:There was a plan for what happened after a TPK, but I was hoping not to have to use it. I confess I was kind of curious about seeing at least one PC become undead, either Bontan undergoing the transformation Jalli and Balia experience or else one of the other PCs becoming a skungler. As it was, however, that was not to be (at least not in season one).

To be perfectly fair I was curious too. Seeing an undead cleric would have been pretty interesting. I'm with Snak on that subject. I like Bonton, but I kinda wanted to see him die knowing he'd come back anyways. And we never got to learn what a skungler actually is. Hopefully we will in the future. :)

tbug wrote:Kathleen described Morra's mom during character creation, and I knew right away that she would be making an appearance (probably but not certainly an indirect one, which is what worked out). I worked out the details of the dinoskull Batiri tribe based on how Graham talked about them and gave him a handout a couple sessions before they showed up so that he knew what was going on, but didn't name anyone other than the queen. (His reaction to Moof was improvised.) I planned from the start to have the tribe show up. Beej had talked a little about his tribe, including some comments about his general relationship with them, but he hadn't given me any names. I made up Balia and Beej just ran with it. I knew I wanted his tribe represented, but as session one began I was still bouncing a couple of ideas around as to how that would work out.

Did I your question? I feel I may have rambled a little there.

It answered it very well. The response may have felt like rambling since I poorly phrased the question. The phrasing made one question into about three separate ones. I was curious just because I enjoy doing world building myself. So the amount of background that was pre-planned versus improvised was something that interested me.

So it sounds like a good amount of it was worked out before hand, with specific characters like Moof and Balia made up on the spot. Which helps make Bontan/Beej's line of "If she's fighting, something has gone wrong. She doesn't like to... she'll only fight if... she... alright, she's really violent" (paraphrased) all the more entertaining to me. The mix did help make things more interesting. I think it says a lot about how everyone did that nothing like Snak's reaction to Moof and Balia's involvement all felt very natural.

tbug wrote:My notes are probably unintelligible to anyone else at this point, but I'm still going to resist the urge to show them to you in case I get to run more of this stuff down the line. If I do it seems strange to think that none of those things would be revealed.

That's entirely fair. It's worth saving those plot hooks in case the group is able to revisit that world. At worst, if you guys are ever able to make the campaign available in some form, having information for future players to discover isn't a bad idea.

Thanks also for being so involved here. It's always nice to be able to ask questions like these. I appreciate you taking the time do so. :D
tbug

Postby tbug » 26 Mar 2018, 21:15

My pleasure! Some questions (eg "What's a skungler?") won't get answered here, but for the types of questions you asked I'm generally happy to ramble on. :)
Dale
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 06 Apr 2018, 04:15

I felt inspired to make these on the drive to work today:
Dande, Cartographer of Chult 1GW
Legendary Creature - Cat Monk
Vigilance, First Strike
Whenever Dande deals combat damage to a player, explore.
2/2

Morra, Student of Stealth 1BG
Legendary Creature - Elf Rogue
Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, if Morra is untapped, you may tap her. If you do, that creature's controller may untap that creature and remove it from combat. If they don't, put 2 -1/-1 counters on that creature.
"I tried to negotiate with you!"
1/3

Bontan, Necromancer Apprentice 1WB
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Cleric
WW, T: Prevent the next 5 damage that would be dealt to you or to target creature you control
BB: Create a 2/2 colorless construct artifact token. Exile the token at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability only if Bontan is tapped.
"I told you, I'm not a necromancer!"
2/2

Snak, Fury of the Small 1R
Legendary Creature - Goblin Warrior
Whenever Snak becomes blocked by a creature with a higher converted mana cost, Snak gains first strike until end of turn.
Snak gets +1/+1 as long you control another goblin
Snak gets +1/+1 as long as you control another legendary creature.
"Stack with me!"
2/1
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
MinuteWalt
First Video: Prince of Persia (2008)

Postby MinuteWalt » 30 Apr 2018, 23:20

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'll do it anyway.

I was wondering about two things,

1) Who wrote the theme music? I assume Bradley Rains, but there's no credit.

2) Who's typing the clever quips in the upper right/under the PC's names? I thought it was Coriander, but it might be Heather, or even Dale?

I'm used to a little more info in LRR credits (yes, I am that kind of geek, I read credit rolls). Also, I've been really bad with keeping up with streams, I'm still working on February on YouTube, so I'm very sorry if this has already been addressed. There still isn't a Dice Friends icon here on the site, so it's a little hard to find news about it. I have also asked around on YouTube and the wiki.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 01 May 2018, 18:32

For 1: I don't know exactly, but iirc it's royalty-free music that LRR bought.

For 2: Generally, Heather. Except for one episode (I think it was episode 2?) where it was Paul.

I'm not sure what you mean by "an icon here on the site" but if you're looking for Dice Friends episodes they're in the Podcasts section.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
tbug

Postby tbug » 07 May 2018, 21:25

Cori did the clever quips for episode two. Paul was playing at the table.
Dale
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 08 May 2018, 16:29

I stand corrected. (Also: of course he was, my memory is terrible.)
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
oskarbaby
First Video: the gatekeeper

Postby oskarbaby » 07 Dec 2018, 07:14

hi dale i was wondering what the stats where on the creatures you made up the stilt puffers, burrowing mole ticks, fungus bats, undead spore gator, undead gorbaga spider and the creatures in morras bag of tricks

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”