Loading Time - Microwaves

Talk about our latest behind the scenes videos.
Graham
Super Moderator

Loading Time - Microwaves

Postby Graham » 17 May 2012, 20:22

Featuring Cam Lauder, the Science Guy!
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Re: Loading Time - Microwaves

Postby Tapir12 » 17 May 2012, 21:03

Very nice explanation Cam! I love how the sucrose molecule just appeared.

Just FYI, I had about a minute and a half of black screen at the end of the video.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
master m99
First Video: unskipable lost planet (if that counts)

Postby master m99 » 17 May 2012, 21:26

cam's little mini lecture was actually really interesting, does he actually do any "real teaching"? hes better then my mass spectra and Energy and Matter lecturers combined though maybe i just go to a crappy uni =P
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 17 May 2012, 22:45

Cam gets +5 awesome. Otherwise an interesting video. Though it's rare when Cam manages to overshadow the rest of the video with straight-up science over goofy things.
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 18 May 2012, 00:11

Tapir12 wrote:Just FYI, I had about a minute and a half of black screen at the end of the video.

Had that too.

Didn't know about the dangers of microwaving nothing until I read another comment on this forum. So this video was indeed educational and enjoyable :D
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 May 2012, 02:11

I will now go to the houses of my arch nemesai and start microwaving nothing. Muhahahahaha.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 18 May 2012, 04:37

Cam is far to well dressed to be a real scientist.

There were a few things that were a bit off such as his mentions of plasma but cam got things mostly right.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 18 May 2012, 06:51

Aww, we didn't get to see the egg exploding in Paul's hand :(
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Mysticman89
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Mysticman89 » 18 May 2012, 10:22

Does Cam have an actual university based background in science, or was that largely wiki and similar born learnings?

I have a number of not so fond memories of doing the appropriate vector calculus involved in actually showing why the molecule goes all "wibbly wobbly", and curious if he's had occasion to share in that experiance.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 May 2012, 15:03

He's a senior chemistry student and does science all day.
ecks
First Video: The one where I can't remember

Postby ecks » 18 May 2012, 17:15

Chemistry? [s]If[/s] When you get your hands on a high speed camera again you'd better make him whip up some interesting (read: volatile [read: explosive and/or pyrophoric]) chemicals for you. Nitrogen triiodide + floozy garnish would make a nice shot I would think.
Invariel
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Invariel » 18 May 2012, 17:38

That was really educational, and I enjoyed it very much. Thank you, Cam! (And everyone else.)
Pig Watchcraft, Mine Playgear, Top Get.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 May 2012, 19:07

Cam it was very good, you just seemed REALLY REALLY nervous. You can relax only like 50 people watch LRR ;) and we all love anything any of you do. We watch you play MTGO for pete sake.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lumar
First Video: The Arrogent Worms video for Canada Day

Postby Lumar » 18 May 2012, 20:08

Graham wrote:He's a senior chemistry student and does science all day.

So does this make Cam the official science guy (totally forgot the proper credit name) for all the "science" videos?
I may not be funny or witty, but that does not make me less strange.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 18 May 2012, 20:10

ecks wrote:Nitrogen triiodide

I know at least one graduate student was ejected from UVic for manufacturing nitrogen triiodide.

Great prank material, though.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 18 May 2012, 22:54

Lord Hosk wrote:Cam it was very good, you just seemed REALLY REALLY nervous. You can relax only like 50 people watch LRR ;) and we all love anything any of you do. We watch you play MTGO for pete sake.

You know, it often does seem like Cam is nervous. There are relatively few videos where I can remember thinking he didn't look very nervous. That said, he always seems to put a lot of work into the parts he does and I like him a lot in the videos.

That said, I think this is one time Cam should have been nervous. This is the internet after all... one tiny mistake and we would have a lynch mob on our hands. :p
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 19 May 2012, 10:21

Lord Hosk wrote:You can relax only like 50 people watch LRR ;) and we all love anything any of you do.

50 people is pretty much exactly the number of non-crew forum members who have more posts than Kathleen.
Gltepel
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Gltepel » 19 May 2012, 11:31

Finally! A scientific discussion that awknoledges the existance and whereabouts of monsters. Science time with cam was awesome.
Someone should edit together a little video of the three vacuum tubes flashing in time to the turret tune from portal 2. Kinda' made me think of that when they were flashing together.

Awesome video and all together a good time.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 May 2012, 18:23

Dominic Appleguard wrote:
Lord Hosk wrote:You can relax only like 50 people watch LRR ;) and we all love anything any of you do.

50 people is pretty much exactly the number of non-crew forum members who have more posts than Kathleen.

You made me check my forum status, now if you will excuse me, I have to spam the hell out of the forums to get into the top 100.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 19 May 2012, 20:49

I love explaining science to people.
I also love watching other people explaining science to people, even if I already know that science.

I was expecting a lot of hand-waving, but Cam was surprisingly accurate (though the explanation for what exciting electrons in the metal actually entails was somewhat short, what with no mention of electron orbitals or even a simple Bohr model of the atom) and the explanation very robust. I give it an A!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 20 May 2012, 00:42

A lot of microwave related phenomena can be described using classical electrodynamics perfectly fine. Maxwell's equations plainly show that a changing electromagnetic field (microwaves) induces a current in a conductor. No need to bring in any quantum phenomena.

One place where I felt Cam explanation was a little off was when he was explaining light bulbs. Although a gas will become ionised when heated, ionisation is not required for electrons to be excited into higher energy states and then decay, emitting light. Here some very basic quantum ideas are required such as electrons only being able to be at certain energies. Although the Bohr model is important to the history of quantum theory it almost produces more confusion than it removes. Atoms are not little solar systems.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
ewhac
First Video: One of the early Unskippables

Postby ewhac » 20 May 2012, 11:22

At around 2:15, when you're experimenting with your de-screened microwave oven, there's this horrible buzzing noise. Assuming you didn't add it in post, that noise is the microwaves interacting with the electronics in your camera... And with the people standing in front of you.

Inverse squared law means it's unlikely anyone suffered lasting damage. But I think you should count yourselves tremendously fortunate that your cameras emerged unscathed. (While you were discussing removing the screen, I was thinking to myself, "Okay, so, he's going to set up a non-metallic mirror in front of the chamber, place the camera well off to the side, and shoot through the mirror, right?")

Next time you feel inclined to spray microwaves across your back lot, at least point the thing at those metal garage doors at the back, which will absorb most of the energy.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 May 2012, 14:08

ewhac wrote:Inverse squared law means it's unlikely anyone suffered lasting damage. But I think you should count yourselves tremendously fortunate that your cameras emerged unscathed. (While you were discussing removing the screen, I was thinking to myself, "Okay, so, he's going to set up a non-metallic mirror in front of the chamber, place the camera well off to the side, and shoot through the mirror, right?")

Next time you feel inclined to spray microwaves across your back lot, at least point the thing at those metal garage doors at the back, which will absorb most of the energy.
As mentioned above, microwaves are non-ionizing radiation and the most they're going to do to a person is cook them, and that's only if we stood there and let it happen.
Even then, there's not enough focussed energy coming out of that window to do any real damage to a person.

Microphones are incredibly sensitive to waves, as you heard, but the camera equipment shouldn't have been hurt at all, certainly not at that distance.

Also, metal doesn't absorb microwaves at all, it reflects it. That's how they work.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 20 May 2012, 16:24

I'd like to make a safety announcement. Non-ionizing radiation is dangerous. It is dangerous in a different way than ionizing radiation, and a microwave oven is safe with the shields intact, or if you are relatively far (5+ feet should be fine) from the front, but you can get very serious RF burns from microwave radiation quite easily if you are unsafe.

OSHA has a lot of regulations and guides on the topic, I highly recommend their "standard interpretations", as they're written a bit more accessibly.
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/radiofrequencyradiation/

Return to “Loading Time”