FRIDAY NIGHTS: Constructed

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: Friday Nights: Constructed

Postby Matt » 01 Mar 2012, 17:09

WAYF wrote:1) SAYS "GOOD GAME, WELL PLAYED" IN FULL INSTEAD OF ACRONYMS?

Counter-intuitively, saying "good game" in many contexts in Magic is actually considered a real asshole thing to do.

I find the idea totally bewildering, but there are, like, huge internet treatises written about when to GG and when not to GG.

-m

I am not angry at you.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 01 Mar 2012, 17:24

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the piss out of those players who simply can't comprehend why anyone would ever play a deck that isn't what the top Pro Tour players are using.

I don't mind losing. I'm not that great a player in the first place, so even with a top deck I'm never going to be a champion. But getting stomped, telling me my deck sucks and is awful and the only way of fixing it is to throw it in the trash and build a $300-400 netdeck like you did? No thanks. Even if I had that much money to blow on a Magic deck that might help me win, I'd rather spend it on something else, and besides, I would rather play a deck I actually enjoy playing.

That mentality at Pro Tours and Grand Prix Events is one thing, but when it trickles down into FNM... well there's a reason I don't play competitive Magic at all anymore.

(At least, I certainly hope you're taking the piss out of them. If that's how Alex actually thinks he's lost a lot of my respect.)

Matt wrote:Counter-intuitively, saying "good game" in many contexts in Magic is actually considered a real asshole thing to do.

From what I've seen, it's basically that if you say "good game" when the game wasn't remotely competitive (opponent mulligans to five, gets only one or two land out and your aggro beats them with little if any resistance, for example) you come across as a smarmy douche, which I can actually understand.

Some people do take it too far, though.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 01 Mar 2012, 17:25

Still found it hilarious, but some bits went straight over my head.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Mar 2012, 18:00

RytelCSF wrote:From what I've seen, it's basically that if you say "good game" when the game wasn't remotely competitive (opponent mulligans to five, gets only one or two land out and your aggro beats them with little if any resistance, for example) you come across as a smarmy douche, which I can actually understand.

... which is, frankly bullshit, because the intent behind a genuinely offered "good game" in any other sport is "thank you for taking the time to play with me"

I've taken to saying "thanks for the game" in Magic, but I am bewilderd that it was ever actually an issue.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 01 Mar 2012, 18:08

I usually see "gg" used as a concession on MTGO.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 01 Mar 2012, 18:27

Matt wrote:I've taken to saying "thanks for the game" in Magic, but I am bewilderd that it was ever actually an issue.

-m

Honestly, "thanks for the game," in the context given, actually sounds worse. Maybe it has to do with tone of voice which I'm obviously not hearing, but that could easily be parsed as "thanks for the win, loser."

The point is, if the outcome of the game was clearly due to poor luck (not just a well timed topdeck, but never getting out of the gate) any sort of "good game" variation makes it sound like you're rubbing said luck in the opponent's face.

Edit: Actually, are you saying this from a casual or competitive perspective? When playing casually I see no problem with "good game" et al. from any position. However, competitively, the assumption is, to be blunt, that any non-vital conversation is either an attempt to extract information from your opponent or an attempt to put him or her on tilt. Saying "thanks for the game" after a game 1 stomping feels strongly like the latter.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Mar 2012, 18:57

I suspect the problem is that people put so much time, energy, and money into the GAME that is stops being a game to them.

I have avoided magic, paintball, most games online especially FPS for this reason. When I saw people get pissed off and stomp off because their random cards were, RANDOM, I put my cards (all 100ish) in the "take a card leave a card" bin which was back in 97-98ish.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 01 Mar 2012, 19:36

Tapir12 wrote:This one was more confusing for people who don't know the rules, but still funny.

Honestly, I think that was somewhat intentional as much of it is from Paul's perspective, so they just go with these completely outlandish strategies to show how disorienting it can be for a new player. Essentially they're saying pros will sound confusing and crazy, just play what you want for fun, which is pretty much Kathleen's advice. On the other hand, I could be misinterpreting. It's hard to tell for sure from my position as someone who's still getting into Magic, but has a pretty good understanding of it.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
DewKnight
First Video: Stalking

Postby DewKnight » 01 Mar 2012, 20:33

All of the recent mentions of MTG in the videos have made me more interested in getting back into the game. This episode sealed my fate. I'm back, and now I just need to convince my friends to play with me.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Mar 2012, 20:43

RytelCSF wrote:
Matt wrote:I've taken to saying "thanks for the game" in Magic, but I am bewilderd that it was ever actually an issue.

-m

Honestly, "thanks for the game," in the context given, actually sounds worse. Maybe it has to do with tone of voice which I'm obviously not hearing, but that could easily be parsed as "thanks for the win, loser."

I meant a genuine "Thank you for the game".

-m

edit: and no, I don't play competitively.

I am not angry at you.
pearcey
First Video: not sure, before unskippable, lets play,

Postby pearcey » 01 Mar 2012, 22:42

I loved the episode! Please keep these coming, THEY ARE AWESOME!
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 02 Mar 2012, 01:12

Graham wrote:I usually see "gg" used as a concession on MTGO.

I've seen it used the other way as well:
Opponent: gg
My thought: But I'm not dead yet. [opponent plays card] Right, yeah, now I am.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 02 Mar 2012, 01:28

RedNightmare wrote:
Graham wrote:I usually see "gg" used as a concession on MTGO.

I've seen it used the other way as well:
Opponent: gg
My thought: But I'm not dead yet. [opponent plays card] Right, yeah, now I am.

So gg is up there with "Game over, moonpie"?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 02 Mar 2012, 02:00

SCUMBAG WAYF

PUTS WORDS IN GOOD OPPONENT GREG'S MOUTH.

Personally I find it a bit insulting when somebody says "GG". I've only ever played against two people who play Magic that seriously, but I thought that if they were going to be courteous in that way, they could at least say it in full instead of as an acronym.

Sure, people might take offence to "good game" (particularly if it was a curb stomp), but doesn't that make "GG" even worse? It kind of seems like a distinct lack of effort to me...

I could be completely wrong of course, but I'm still fairly new to Magic... :S
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 02 Mar 2012, 02:01

SCUMBAG WAYF

PUTS WORDS IN GOOD OPPONENT GREG'S MOUTH.

Personally I find it a bit insulting when somebody says "GG" to me in real life. I've only ever played against two people who play Magic that seriously, but I thought that if they were going to be courteous in that way, they could at least say it in full instead of as an acronym.

Sure, people might take offence to "good game" (particularly if it was a curb stomp), but doesn't that make "GG" even worse? It kind of seems like a distinct lack of effort to me...

I could be completely wrong of course, because I'm still fairly new to Magic... :?
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
General Meh
First Video: Something on the Escapist.

Postby General Meh » 02 Mar 2012, 02:12

I know your pain Matt, a friend pulled Angelic Destiny from a booster last week. Can't seem to convince him to part with it. This happens all the time in my group, watching people pull out awesome cards and I get the lesser rares.
Magic Decks -
Standard Deck: just some random fail cards.
Modern Deck: 5 colors, because less than 5 is for wimps.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Mar 2012, 02:33

I play purely for fun, but at the same time I don't like constantly losing, so I build decks that are fun but also effective. Saying that, a good half of my decks are silly combo decks.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 02 Mar 2012, 04:26

Coming from the world of Go matches, I always prefer to say "Thanks for the game" or variation of that, winner, looser, circumstances of the game regardless. *And* I'd consider an invitation to discuss the turning points of the games after the match. (I see this happens in Magic Pro Tours)

"GG" comes from the world of e-sports, where you had limited time to put in something before the game quits after a win. And it has kind of turned into a rote thing there.

Etiquette actually can matter to game play too. Failure to act socially, and not being able to have some self control, turns into "Tilt" (loss of a game because of emotional state) very quickly. Just ask Moscow 5.
camo1989
First Video: ransom

Postby camo1989 » 02 Mar 2012, 05:59

when it comes to magic it seems paul is a hyperbolic version of me, though i must confess unlike most of commadore hustles characters and viewers i'm not quite as psychopathically obsessive, not saying it's a bad thing
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 Mar 2012, 06:48

There has got to be a future video somewhere in this thread.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Akyho
First Video: Commadore Hustle with gay chicken.

Postby Akyho » 02 Mar 2012, 09:49

I am a Yugioh player. I have played two matches of Magic (Drunk/Hungover + up all night + plus terrible at maths + bad memory + plus magic = Massive headache) however, Alot of that bleeds into Yugioh and surely other card games.

I may not play magic however I still chuckle for the same reasons.
I take the Kathleen road. Make a deck I want then rework into a working deck and that's me. Sometimes for fun Ill make a deck that's has an awesome one hit kill....except the chances are poor on doing it.

Yeah playing with people that want to win. You see the exact same decks all the time, One deck had them pick and choose cards from my hand and from my deck and discard. It was pretty horrible since they just lunge over and snatch things without asking or letting me know what was going on.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 02 Mar 2012, 10:57

My style is similar to Kathleen's. My current decks are red critters with way more dragons than any 60 card deck should have, an almost entirely artifact deck with the "of Empires" set and unwinding clocks, and a proxy goblin commander deck. They're all pretty silly to play, but since I only play within a small circle of friends they do well enough.

The series continues to be excellent, I can't wait to see the next one :)
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 02 Mar 2012, 11:18

Matt wrote:
WAYF wrote:1) SAYS "GOOD GAME, WELL PLAYED" IN FULL INSTEAD OF ACRONYMS?

Counter-intuitively, saying "good game" in many contexts in Magic is actually considered a real asshole thing to do.

I find the idea totally bewildering, but there are, like, huge internet treatises written about when to GG and when not to GG.

-m

I generally say good game although if one of us had a bout of terrible luck I might edit it a bit like,"good game, although I'm sorry about you getting no lands," or if someone offers me "good game" after a match that I didn't feel went very well I might respond "well no, but thank you."

One thing I have just realized is that most of the time you say good game it's actually the end of a match. The main time I can think of people using good game in the middle of a match is as a concession, like graham said.

As far as deck building: I build fairly competitive decks but I build decks for the metagame of my friends, not the pro tour. Most pro tour decks are so hyper designed that if you throw them in a random casual environment, that has a decent power level, they will have a hard time.

Although I will say that life gain is often "trash" as Alex says.
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 02 Mar 2012, 20:29

I have this strange feeling that, when we do see Paul play against the others, he will solidly trounce all of them. Probably in a highly scientific fashion.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 02 Mar 2012, 21:58

Huh. now I want to build a lifegain/millstone deck.

Return to “MtG”