FRIDAY NIGHTS: Friday

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
Graham
Super Moderator

FRIDAY NIGHTS: Friday

Postby Graham » 15 Mar 2012, 13:04

Hope you enjoyed the mini-series as much as we enjoyed making it!
Here's hoping for more.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: FRIDAY NIGHTS: Friday

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Mar 2012, 13:24

oh no thats it? but I want more!

Dear wizards I bought these because of Friday nights! (holds up four booster packs of cards)
Last edited by Lord Hosk on 15 Mar 2012, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Postby headband » 15 Mar 2012, 13:44

I'm not really into Magic, but I ad a fun time watching these. So fun, I decieded to make an account and tell you so. XD
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 15 Mar 2012, 13:58

ADAM!

Also, nice closer.

I, uh, don't have anything else to say.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Mar 2012, 14:26

Best of the lot. I've have tears of laughter.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 15 Mar 2012, 14:41

Great job, hopefully not the last we ever see. Although it is unfortunate how quickly competitive magic dates it's self.

About that their is an odd continuity error in the first episode. Matt said that he traded away two snapcasters, but you guys are clearly playing before Innistrad came out because Zendikar is in standard. It seems like that was when you originality shot it back then, was Matt's line one of the things that was changed in a reshoot?

And you guys have really mastered the "magic playing montage." While I enjoy watching magic I wouldn't think it would be easy to make look exciting but you guys have found how to edit in a way that is exciting and, while I wouldn't know personal, I suspect conveys what is going on to someone not completely familiar with magic (with the possible exception of the dragon claw bit, but as a magic player I liked it)
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 15 Mar 2012, 14:51

Great series guys! Love how Paul ultimately beats Jer at his own luck-based complicated Ikea gun game... bookshelf?
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
headband
First Video: Decadent Sports League

Postby headband » 15 Mar 2012, 14:59

So, how do you draft anyway?
Westerfarmer
First Video: THe Job

Postby Westerfarmer » 15 Mar 2012, 15:13

Poor Kathleen, has to be happy for the death of her creature.
D_K_Head
First Video: Bill's Revenge

Postby D_K_Head » 15 Mar 2012, 15:16

The opening jazzy music was awesome... I really hope brad made a full version of that particular song.

I enjoyed the series, though a lot of the specific card details went straight over my head. Thanks to LRR and the focus on magic in CH a while back, I actually picked up magic and spent way more than is healthy on cards... so that's something.

I'm glad you guys found a way to spread the magicky love in this much detail, so kudos, bravo, and a bunch of other positive words.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 15 Mar 2012, 15:17

I love this series, and hope you get to continue it. So much good stuff.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 15 Mar 2012, 15:24

headband wrote:So, how do you draft anyway?

You open a pack, put lands and tokens in the middle, pick the card you want most, pass the rest to your left (or right, depending on which direction people decided to start with). You grab the pack that was passed on to you and repeat until you're passed a single card, that you keep.
Then you open the second pack, pass in the opposite direction, and then do the same with a third card.

You end up with 45 cards (give or take if there was a foil land, which gets passed instead of being put in the middle), from these you make a deck of 40 cards or more. These 40 include lands while your 45 do not, so you end up using something like 25 of your cards and 15 lands, although some people prefer playing with more land (around 17) or less land (around 13).

And then you play one another.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
galvanicAuto
First Video: Friday Nights - Untap

Postby galvanicAuto » 15 Mar 2012, 17:03

Fantastic video. Love the super-secret Claw Tech.

Also, as a Judge I've legitimately enjoyed these videos, and I really hope that you're gonna make more. It feels like I just got a taste and now it's all gone. But in any case, great work, good job on making it funny for Magic vets like me while not drowning it in so much Magic jargon that it's undecipherable by someone on the outside looking in, and I really hope you do more Magic videos.
Neko Pounce
First Video: It's very simple

Postby Neko Pounce » 15 Mar 2012, 17:50

New friday nights!

I knew there was a reason I am up at 2 am.

It was a great series, I really enjoyed it while I still don't understand magic.
khsh
First Video: Buttstallation

Postby khsh » 15 Mar 2012, 18:39

Awesome work guys.
Good set up for Season 2:Drafting.

Was the Japanese text explanation a pick up shot, to explain the brief glimpse of a Japanese card Jer plays in the following scene?
"Who stole the Leg of Time?"
Sky_rider19
First Video: It's Magic!

Postby Sky_rider19 » 15 Mar 2012, 19:05

Under_Score wrote:Great series guys! Love how Paul ultimately beats Jer at his own luck-based complicated Ikea gun game... bookshelf?

Sure mono green infect can be a bit luck based, but that doesn't make them any less fun to play with! That was my favorite deck to play last standard.
Shandi
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

Postby Shandi » 15 Mar 2012, 19:31

This is the greatest thing ever. So much facial expressiveness!
This is why I'm LOL!
-Shandi
The_Doctor
First Video: le cafe

Postby The_Doctor » 15 Mar 2012, 19:38

I haven't played magic since i was young but i really enjoyed these, good work.
Has Tardis, will travel
pariah164
First Video: commodoreHustle episode 1

Postby pariah164 » 15 Mar 2012, 20:27

Dear WotC, I watch my friends play Magic now because of this series. LET THEM MAKE MOAR.
Glory to LRRstotzka!

The wrestling will continue until morale improves.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Project Diva X - Atelier Rorona - Fire Emblem Fates

CURRENTLY CRAFTING: Rainbow Loom dreamcatchers, OSU scarf
KyrieEleison
First Video: Desert Bus 5

Postby KyrieEleison » 15 Mar 2012, 20:31

I felt a little more left out of this video than the others. That might have to do with it not featuring as much of your cH!selves playing each other (which is what I've liked most about the previous videos), so there was less space for jokes than, say, last week (which is probably my favorite).

All in all, though, I did enjoy the mini-series, and it might end up being useful as a primer for all the Magic talk that goes on here.
It's not epic unless it's dactylic hexameter.

landofanalie.wordpress.com
Nanosauromo
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby Nanosauromo » 15 Mar 2012, 21:01

Pigmy Wurm wrote:About that their is an odd continuity error in the first episode. Matt said that he traded away two snapcasters, but you guys are clearly playing before Innistrad came out because Zendikar is in standard.

Clearly, all of Friday Nights takes place between the Innistrad prerelease and release.

Anyway, I quite liked the little story arc you guys had over the four episodes, with Paul learning to play Magic and eventually beating everyone. Everyone's characters were very well-defined, and you managed to make a game of magic look interesting in narrative video. And to top it all off, you've left us with a sequel hook for season two: Limited! All in all, I'd say this is the best thing you guys have mad since Season 1 of cHustle. Nice job, LRR!

(Also: Holy crap, it's Adam! He still exists!)
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 15 Mar 2012, 21:27

KyrieEleison wrote:I felt a little more left out of this video than the others. That might have to do with it not featuring as much of your cH!selves playing each other...

My sentiments exactly. I didn't find this one as funny just because the jokes were more Magic based and less character based, so I didn't follow them. I still liked that Paul beat Jeremy at his own game though (at least I think that's what happened) and Graham's announcer voice was awesome.

The series was very well produced, well written and well acted. It won't make me buy Magic cards, but don't worry, I don't think anything could. I still enjoyed the series as a non-Magic player and would watch more videos if you have the chance to make them.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 Mar 2012, 21:29

khsh wrote:Was the Japanese text explanation a pick up shot, to explain the brief glimpse of a Japanese card Jer plays in the following scene?
It was a pickup shot, but not for that reason. We had to replace a shot in there, so we added the Japanese card bit as a funny little reference to our own proclivity for "pimping" our decks with foil and foreign cards.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 Mar 2012, 21:32

Tapir12 wrote:The series was very well produced, well written and well acted. It won't make me buy Magic cards, but don't worry, I don't think anything could. I still enjoyed the series as a non-Magic player and would watch more videos if you have the chance to make them.
Works for me!
I figure, at worst, they're bonus commodoreHUSTLE episodes with a barrier to entry.
KyrieEleison
First Video: Desert Bus 5

Postby KyrieEleison » 15 Mar 2012, 21:38

Tapir12 wrote:
KyrieEleison wrote:I felt a little more left out of this video than the others. That might have to do with it not featuring as much of your cH!selves playing each other...

My sentiments exactly. I didn't find this one as funny just because the jokes were more Magic based and less character based, so I didn't follow them. I still liked that Paul beat Jeremy at his own game though (at least I think that's what happened) and Graham's announcer voice was awesome.

The series was very well produced, well written and well acted. It won't make me buy Magic cards, but don't worry, I don't think anything could. I still enjoyed the series as a non-Magic player and would watch more videos if you have the chance to make them.

This is exactly what I was trying to say; you said it better. :)
It's not epic unless it's dactylic hexameter.

landofanalie.wordpress.com

Return to “MtG”