FRIDAY NIGHTS: Prereleasing

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
James
LRR Crew

FRIDAY NIGHTS: Prereleasing

Postby James » 04 Jul 2013, 21:16

LoadingReadyRun prepare and take part in their Magic 2014 Prerelease, see how they get ready for the big day.
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Re: FRIDAY NIGHTS: Prereleasing

Postby DaMage » 04 Jul 2013, 21:32

Loved the episode, Graham's description of how to play green was priceless.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 04 Jul 2013, 21:38

Is it just me, or does Cam seem to be getting more comfortable with being on camera? This is probably his best one yet.

Also, "Terrible Mana Base" is definitely an archetype.

And I'm fairly sure I drafted a deck with a mana-wall the other night.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 04 Jul 2013, 21:44

Another excellent episode, but OH MY JESUS CRACKERS table flip Kathleen scared the shit out of me.

Brilliant. All of you.
Loslomo
First Video: Can't honestly remember

Postby Loslomo » 04 Jul 2013, 22:40

As a fellow agent of the dimir, for shame fictional representation of Kathleen, for shame...

Also, this episode was fantastic. I hope I will have the time/money to go to the next MtG pre-release.
"Rise again, rise again. Though your heart may be broken or life about to end..."
-Stan Rogers, The Mary Ellen Carter
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 05 Jul 2013, 02:32

Oh is that what she was doing...
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 05 Jul 2013, 02:53

BEARS! :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 05 Jul 2013, 04:45

I want so badly to make a BEARFORCE ONE deck now. I don't even care how good it is, I just want to play a deck with that name.
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 05 Jul 2013, 05:14

Graham, your deck name has already been taken...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQlpFrm5iM
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Dusk_Shine

Postby Dusk_Shine » 05 Jul 2013, 05:19

Poor Cam's bewilderment was awesome.

And perhaps Paul should've gone with his own deck idea, since it appears he didn't make big prizes in the end. xD

Also, Graham: Green is also my jam, perhaps we should compare notes? :D
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 05 Jul 2013, 05:21

Missie and Cam were great in this episode.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Dusk_Shine

Postby Dusk_Shine » 05 Jul 2013, 05:28

aeric90 wrote:

Yo, Big Mac! Brohoof? /)
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 05 Jul 2013, 05:56

Drecon wrote:Oh is that what she was doing...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

Twitter | Twitch

Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 05 Jul 2013, 07:44

green and red slivers eh? I had that deck back in, what was it stronghold, when slivers were new. Before it was cool. Hipster man AWAY!
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 05 Jul 2013, 08:19

...but knowing M14 really well will still give you an advantage in Standard at the GP...
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 05 Jul 2013, 08:58

Amazing episode. I'm so happy Cam's infamous "how do you play Magic without Counterspells" quote got in.

I'm a little confused regarding James' two Jace's though.

Given that Jace, Memory Adept's only way to lose counters is his ultimate, for James to have "burned off the last counters" on his Jace would imply that he ultimated...
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 05 Jul 2013, 09:35

I loved BEARFORCE ONE! Graham's delivery was perfect! Also the "this would never happen on MTGO" was great since you guys DID a all the two drops on MTGO! :)

Loved Cam failing at playing green, would have liked to have seen what crazy good cards Graham said Cam had.
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 05 Jul 2013, 11:22

The first Friday of July has already come and gone! Now we must wait another month for the next episode of Friday Nights. Ten minutes a month is just not enough! Le sigh.

Here are my thoughts on this month's episode:

"Yes, and a prerelease is not what I'd call a competitive environment."

There's a lot to praise about Friday Nights, but more than anything this sentiment represents what you guys understand better than anyone else: Magic is a game you play for fun. I've always said that the strength of Friday Nights is that, all friendly ribbing aside, these are characters you'd like to hang out with and play some games with. The characters in Friday Nights aren't cruel, they aren't nasty or hateful, and despite what they might claim, they don't have to win at all costs.

There's always that one jerk at a prerelease who thinks he's at the Pro Tour, and goes around giving kids and casual players a hard time for not having memorized the entire set yet, etc. I'm glad you guys are not that player, and that you emphasize the philosophy that a prerelease and Friday Night Magic are for fun first and foremost. Kudos.

"I am so glad I decided to prerelease prep with you guys instead of, I don't know, anyone else!"

I'm going you have to agree with Friday Nights Graham on this one. The prerelease prep didn't quite click. In re-watching the episode a few times, I found much of the dialogue and jokes to be enjoyable enough, but I think the classroom setting was just a bit too bizzarre. I know Friday Nights/ Commodore Hustle takes place in an exaggerated universe, but it was just too goofy to have the three of them in an empty college classroom, writing the names of Magic cards on the chalkboards.

People don't do that, so you're not exaggerating something from reality, you're just being cartoonish. It falls flat because it emphasizes the ridiculousness of being THAT into Magic: The Gathering, which is not the tone that you want to aim for. At its best, Friday Nights takes what people really do with this game, and lovingly pokes fun at it. That's why I felt the classroom scene didn't work. Thankfully, they got out of there and down to Yellow Jacket. Things then steadily improved...

"Where the heck is James?"

By the way, James should have been eating poutine during his prerelease ritual. James should always be eating poutine from now on. :D

"Terrible mana base is not an archetype!"

Really great Magic-insider jokes in this episode. In contrast to my problems with the classroom scene, the banter at the card shop was top notch. These are the strategies (or lack thereof) that real people really employ at an event like a pre-release. You exaggerate it and make great jokes about it, but this is really what people do. Great humor, great timing, great laughs all around.

"I don't know what any of these cards do." --James.
&
"That blows up your two drops too."
"Then I am not doing that." --Paul

ALong those same lines, I really enjoyed the goofy way most people didn't know what these cards did. This goes back to my earlier praise about recognizing that a pre-release does not equal the Pro Tour. I appreciate you guys emphasizing that the normal behavior at a Pre-release is making mistakes, being allowed to reasonably take back a dumb move, etc. I really think it is in Wizards of the Coast' best interests to emphasize this more friendly atmosphere and mentality than the hardcore jackass culture that is also, sadly, very pervasive in Magic.

"He's gone!"

You guys are hilarious. Anyone who would do a joke like this, only to have the friendly stranger standing just out of camera shot is a comic genius. 'Nuff said.

Cam: "But...but...what if they play a spell I don't want them to play? Do I just...let it resolve?"
Graham: "Yes!"
Cam: "I don't understand."

Funniest moment in the entire episode was Cam claiming he didn't know how to play green. Cam once again steals the show. You've established his in-universe character well at this point: heavy drafter, control player. He's been a great addition tot he Friday Nights cast.

re: Lady Planeswalker Society, and the character of Missy

Very glad to see another female player. As I said back in "Guild Fight!" with the addition of Tally, it was really nice to see another female player. Magic is too often a Boys Only club, a terrible reality that often creates an unwelcoming atmosphere for women. I wasn't sure what the "Lady Planeswalker Society" was, or who Missy was as a character, but I did enjoy any diversification of genders.

Maybe Kathleen can fill us in on a future TapTapConcede? I'd also love to hear her thoughts on the fact women are often a minority in the game, and how she feels the game itself (which often objectifies women) as well as other players, treat women at the card shop.

Final Thoughts: People are very excited by the fact you spoiled some M14 cards in this video. Let's hope that translates to extra hits. Speaking of which, I hope the numbers have been pleasing to Wizards of the Coast. Fingers crossed, fingers crossed.

Overall Grade: B+
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 05 Jul 2013, 11:39

Professor STAFF wrote:I wasn't sure what the "Lady Planeswalker Society" was

From following Graham and Kathleen on twitter I believe it's a female only thing that they hold at there local game shop. Missy and Kathleen are members.
Last edited by Eric the Orange on 05 Jul 2013, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 05 Jul 2013, 12:04

Eric the Orange wrote:

From following Graham and Kathleen on twitter I believe it's a female only thing that they hold at there local game shop. Ana Missy and Kathleen are members.

Very cool. That's certainly something worthy of discussion on a TTC. Maybe even an all woman panel from the group. Stuff like that sounds very interesting, and a positive element of the community. I really wish Wizards would try and encourage more women to play the game.
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 05 Jul 2013, 14:38

Professor STAFF wrote:
Eric the Orange wrote:

From following Graham and Kathleen on twitter I believe it's a female only thing that they hold at there local game shop. Ana Missy and Kathleen are members.

Very cool. That's certainly something worthy of discussion on a TTC. Maybe even an all woman panel from the group. Stuff like that sounds very interesting, and a positive element of the community. I really wish Wizards would try and encourage more women to play the game.

I'll second that, I'd love to see a Lady Planeswalkers TTC episode! Definitely something I would listen to. By the way great analysis Professor Staff, really agree that Friday Nights is a fantastic example of magic-as-fun-times as it should be.

Also of note, as I tweeted earlier, I overheard some people quoting the video at FNM today! Definitely caught "Terrible mana base is not an archetype" and "I'll have you know the 'spells and land' deck won the last ten years' worth of pro tours". :D

Twitter | Twitch

Sieg Reyu

Postby Sieg Reyu » 05 Jul 2013, 14:59

Image Image Image
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 05 Jul 2013, 15:39

My teeth did automatically grind a little at the guy who rebuilt Paul's deck. I get that he helped Paul, but I hate it when people do that.

Graham and Bear Force One was hilarious. And I have witnessed Cam's pain before, and been on the flip side. (But how do you play without burn?)

Oh, and I totally get the "Magic is kind of a boys club" thing. Some areas are better than others but I've become very used to having toilets to myself and the judges knowing who I am, even if I've not met them before.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 05 Jul 2013, 15:44

Duckay wrote:My teeth did automatically grind a little at the guy who rebuilt Paul's deck. I get that he helped Paul, but I hate it when people do that.

Yeah, it was a bit weird to me when Paul thanked him. Anytime I've witnessed that occuring, there is only resentment.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 05 Jul 2013, 15:48

Lurkon wrote:
Duckay wrote:My teeth did automatically grind a little at the guy who rebuilt Paul's deck. I get that he helped Paul, but I hate it when people do that.

Yeah, it was a bit weird to me when Paul thanked him. Anytime I've witnessed that occuring, there is only resentment.

I dunno, I think it worked fine in the video since Paul clearly wasn't too happy with his current situation. Particularly as someone who's a fairly new player something like that doesn't bother me too much anyway, but I can certainly see it being irritating in a more competitive context.

Twitter | Twitch

Return to “MtG”