Friday Nights - Rotation

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
Graham
Super Moderator

Friday Nights - Rotation

Postby Graham » 06 Sep 2013, 16:33

The LoadingReadyRun crew prepare for the coming rotation of Standard, as well as with the ongoing need to organize their collections.
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Re: Friday Nights - Rotation

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 06 Sep 2013, 17:06

Even though this didn't have a "theme" like some of the recent episodes, I've got to say this was one of your best Friday Nights yet. Which has been true of all of them...point is you keep going from strength to strength!

Notable moments: Sir John A Magiconline, rotatoes, Cam's tips on dealing with Tarmogoyf.

And of course this:

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

RedFeather
First Video: The Unskippable where Yahtzee guest-comm

Postby RedFeather » 06 Sep 2013, 17:49

You know, most of the time you guys seem like normal people, but every so often you'll do something like use a two-dollar coin and I remember that you're actually Canadian.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Sep 2013, 17:55

I could have sworn the toonie went out of circulation, was that not a thing?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 06 Sep 2013, 18:02

I felt that "GP Calgary" was a spiritual Season Finale, and along those same lines, "Rotation" feels like a Season Premiere. Mid-Season premiere maybe?

After what I can only assume was a Alex using a Soul Conduit on Jer during the GP, Friday Night's Jer is back to normal, painstakingly sorting lots and lots of cards and finding zen in the tedium...the sweet, sweet tedium (we are kindred spirits, he and I).

This episode was a lot of fun! Gotta mirror the sigh at a lack of overall theme, but that didn't stop the funny.

Crapshots: The Next generation: I'd love an edited video with just Cam and ALex's discussion on Goyf. I love the way Cam turns it around on Alex...the only solution is to join, I guess.

Troubled Logic: I did feel that Graham's logic was a bit flawed when he suggested they draft Innistrad before rotation. Uh...how does rotation affect your ability to draft Innistrad? If your LGS drafts the current set (as most...if not all...do) Innistrad hasn't been drafted for...5 sets now. Packs are already super high in cost because they've stopped printing them and the set has cards legacy uses in it, so it's not like it is suddenly going to go from $4 per pack to outrageously high after rotation. I didn't get that. In fact, for an episode called "Rotation", not a lot of the gang's Magic antics had to do with rotation.

Best stuff: Jer sorting and all related jokes, Tally's crafting, and everything Modern between Cam and Alex.

Worst stuff: Eh, Magic online STILL? Yep, you can draft whenever you want. Got it. Move along, please. :wink: Kathleen not speaking to people unless they pay her was also a little grating.

And OF Course... Whenever Matt is not on screen, all the other characters should be saying, "Where's Matt?" At least he got a name-drop this week. Seriously, Matt, what can school teach you that Magic can't?

Final Thoughts: I hate to beat a dead horse that I've already kicked a few times for being dead, but it would be neat if some of what we saw in this episode carried over. I'd love to see rotation-fatigue cause Cam and Alex to get into Modern for real, and see them explore the format (and the humor of stuff like tonight's Goyf-centric "Crapshot") in coming episodes. Not everyone likes draft and standard, you know?

Grade: A--
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 06 Sep 2013, 18:16

Professor STAFF wrote:Troubled Logic: I did feel that Graham's logic was a bit flawed when he suggested they draft Innistrad before rotation. Uh...how does rotation affect your ability to draft Innistrad? If your LGS drafts the current set (as most...if not all...do) Innistrad hasn't been drafted for...5 sets now. Packs are already super high in cost because they've stopped printing them and the set has cards legacy uses in it, so it's not like it is suddenly going to go from $4 per pack to outrageously high after rotation. I didn't get that. In fact, for an episode called "Rotation", not a lot of the gang's Magic antics had to do with rotation.

When it comes down to it, this joke had a lot to do with Graham and James being Magic Online players. When Theros rotates in a few weeks from now, Innistrad rotates out on MTGO, meaning they won't be able to draft Innistrad anytime they want to. Graham, of course, doesn't let on that he's talking MTGO until the end of the bit, but I think that's where the logic goes.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Professor STAFF

Postby Professor STAFF » 06 Sep 2013, 18:20

Lurkon wrote:When it comes down to it, this joke had a lot to do with Graham and James being Magic Online players. When Theros rotates in a few weeks from now, Innistrad rotates out on MTGO, meaning they won't be able to draft Innistrad anytime they want to. Graham, of course, doesn't let on that he's talking MTGO until the end of the bit, but I think that's where the logic goes.

Ah, I see.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 06 Sep 2013, 18:59

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I could have sworn the toonie went out of circulation, was that not a thing?

Not as far as I'm aware. We actually got a new design of both the toonie and the loonie recently. The penny was taken out of circulation earlier this year, perhaps that's what you're thinking of?
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Sep 2013, 19:03

Quite possibly, my finger is far from the on the pulse regarding Canadian currency.

Actually found a toonie in my room last week, must have been sat there since I got back from invading the Moonbase all those years ago. Was quite nostalgic.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 06 Sep 2013, 19:08

Professor STAFF wrote:Troubled Logic: I did feel that Graham's logic was a bit flawed when he suggested they draft Innistrad before rotation. Uh...how does rotation affect your ability to draft Innistrad?
If you're going to sell cards, you want to do so when they're still in Standard.
We can't talk about selling cards for obvious reasons.

The MTGO joke however had nothing to do with WotC, I just wanted to make a "Sir John A. Magiconline" joke.
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 06 Sep 2013, 20:30

Graham wrote:
Professor STAFF wrote:Troubled Logic: I did feel that Graham's logic was a bit flawed when he suggested they draft Innistrad before rotation. Uh...how does rotation affect your ability to draft Innistrad?
If you're going to sell cards, you want to do so when they're still in Standard.
We can't talk about selling cards for obvious reasons.

Makes sense.

Personally thought this was one of the better episodes of this season. Jer sorting cards really made me laugh since I recently got paid $20 to sort a friends cards and he did exactly that! Just when I thought I was done he would "find" another box.
Also really enjoyed Cam and Alex talking about getting into Modern and would like to see this continue into a future episode.

Also what was living in your box of cards Graham?! A Giant Spider maybe?!
Professor STAFF

Postby Professor STAFF » 06 Sep 2013, 21:17

Graham wrote:

Okay, I'll admit that makes sense.

Now explain how Kathleen got inside Jer and Tally's apartment if neither Jer (who was sorting cards and looked surprised to see her...understandably) or Tally (who was out) let her in. :wink:

I guess it's fair play, Jer somehow let himself into Kathleen's apartment back in "Constructed".
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 06 Sep 2013, 21:35

RedFeather wrote:You know, most of the time you guys seem like normal people, but every so often you'll do something like use a two-dollar coin and I remember that you're actually Canadian.

Aussies have 2-dollar coins as well but we don't have the delightful nicknames for our coins (to my knowledge).
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

RagingGoblin
First Video: The Mirror

Postby RagingGoblin » 06 Sep 2013, 21:48

My brother and I got into playing modern the same way. 75% of my deck is about to rotate out? Might as well just play it as a crappy modern.
No. Just, no. I don't even...why would you...no.
Grescheks
First Video: Snakes on the Town

Postby Grescheks » 06 Sep 2013, 22:04

Did anyone else feel like Cam was more relaxed and animated in this video than he usually is? Something just felt different (in a good way) about his performance. Whatever it is, keep it up Cam!
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 07 Sep 2013, 00:14

Grescheks wrote:Did anyone else feel like Cam was more relaxed and animated in this video than he usually is? Something just felt different (in a good way) about his performance. Whatever it is, keep it up Cam!

He seems to have been getting more an more comfortable over the weeks/months being in front of the camera.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 07 Sep 2013, 02:58

On the Tarmogoyf thing:
I've felt exactly that way back when Jace TMS was still in standard.

So... how am I gonna beat Jace?
I know, I'll counter him!
Wait... if I'm playing blue I might as well play Jace since all the other blue decks are gonna play him too and just have a better deck...

Yeah...
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 07 Sep 2013, 08:38

I have to agree with Jer, when I started buying bulk cards off Craigslist I really enjoyed sorting them. When i was done sorting I was like, "now what?"

Best line:
Cam " You were gone a long time"
Alex " You can shut up!"

Loved it as always. I am so close to retiring from magic and these videos keep me interested. :D
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 07 Sep 2013, 19:48

Pimpin J wrote:Loved it as always. I am so close to retiring from magic and these videos keep me interested. :D

I'd been out of the game for 6 years, and now I'm back, thanks to LRR.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Lancer
First Video: Cash Cats

Postby Lancer » 07 Sep 2013, 19:55

"Think twice, faithless looting, sulfur falls... half this deck"

Throw in artful dodge and this is my exact problem, Cam T.T

Also the old-timey Tarmogoyf bit was odd... but absolutely friggen' hilarious.
RedFeather
First Video: The Unskippable where Yahtzee guest-comm

Postby RedFeather » 07 Sep 2013, 20:58

You ever see the full-size version of the original Tarmogoyf art? I was surprised to see that it's actually comprehensible. Apparently it just suffered a lot from being reduced to card size.
matthewm
First Video: Sometthing from years ago.

Postby matthewm » 08 Sep 2013, 10:22

I wish someone would pay me to sort cards. I find it kind of calming.

And Kathleen got inside Jer and Tally's apartment because Canadians don't lock their doors. ; )
365 Zines a Year: Zine and mini-comic reviews.
Matt0Wolfy0Hegi
First Video: "Its Magic"

Postby Matt0Wolfy0Hegi » 08 Sep 2013, 13:11

You guys have made me offer my friends to sort their cards, leading to some great ways to make money.

Everybody seems to be missing the main point of this episode though. WHERE CAN I GET A PLUSHY CRATERHOOF??????????

Also, the Goyf Crapshot? Frigging hilarious.

Also, I love you guys.

Also, you are frigging hilarious.

Also, I've said also alot.

Also, How many is too many also's?

Also, I'm going to stop now.
matthewm

Postby matthewm » 08 Sep 2013, 17:14

matthewm

Postby matthewm » 08 Sep 2013, 17:18

Oh dang, this video of the Craterhoof is great: https://vine.co/v/hB6lUJ9VbQD

Return to “MtG”