DraftCast 2 - Dark Bounty

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
Graham
Super Moderator

DraftCast 2 - Dark Bounty

Postby Graham » 07 Sep 2013, 17:52

Two mythics combine to make Graham's GB M14 deck. Let's see how it handles!
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Re: DraftCast 2 - Dark Bounty

Postby ElFuzzy » 07 Sep 2013, 19:45

Primeval bounty sure is a card. Just had my first draft last night and game one was turned in opponents favor when it came down. At the end of the night I saw a friend get wiped by a Thune->Bounty->Accord's Shield. We were both thoroughly trounced.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 07 Sep 2013, 19:46

A couple of weeks a ago at FNM I drafted a mono-green deck with Primeval Bounty, and 4(!!!) Howl of the Night Pack. It was bonkers.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
SomeCallMeTim
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby SomeCallMeTim » 07 Sep 2013, 20:33

If what you said on your Twitter was in reference to this draft, it was your first 8-4 win? Congratulations! (I'm still working on 3-0ing a Swiss...) It was a pretty nuts deck. You had some sweet draws with Liliana, too!
BE RIGHT THERE HOMBRE!
Mr.Wizard
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet 1

Postby Mr.Wizard » 07 Sep 2013, 20:40

Was your voice specifically designed for commentary Graham? I know it's a joke but you really do deserve your own show on NPR.

It's a testament to LRR that despite the fact that I have never played MTG (and don't really have any intention of doing so in the future) I still love to watch all of your drafts and streams. You always manage to make it interesting somehow.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 07 Sep 2013, 22:04

SomeCallMeTim wrote:If what you said on your Twitter was in reference to this draft, it was your first 8-4 win? Congratulations! (I'm still working on 3-0ing a Swiss...) It was a pretty nuts deck. You had some sweet draws with Liliana, too!
First M14 8-4, yes. I've won other 8-4s.

Despite our videos and stream, I'm not awful :)
But thank you!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 07 Sep 2013, 23:28

ElFuzzy wrote:Primeval bounty sure is a card. Just had my first draft last night and game one was turned in opponents favor when it came down. At the end of the night I saw a friend get wiped by a Thune->Bounty->Accord's Shield. We were both thoroughly trounced.

I had Thune and Bounty during my prerelease. They won me games. I figured that Thune would be the better one though. It's a body, it makes all my creatures bigger, I had a little bit of lifegain. All good.

But Bounty? Bounty just wrecked everyone when it came down. Thune had creature removal. Things like Banisher Priest got rid of it. But Bounty just sat there and gave me all of the value I could imagine and more. The only time it didn't do anything was one my opponent main-deck naturalized it right away.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 08 Sep 2013, 01:15

Wow. All those misplays, and I've made each and every one of those in games of my own.
Thanks for posting this, it was fun to watch and educational.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 08 Sep 2013, 14:29

in the small amount of the magic 14 dotp demo I've played, primeval bounty just seems amazing. The great thing about it is that it gives you something very tangible back no matter what you play, even lands, so you're constantly getting value from it.

Obviously it's a fairly late-game play at 6 land, but Magic 14 seems to be a slower set than magic 13, so if you draw it you're likely to play it and get value from it.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Sep 2013, 21:21

I liked this one it worked out really well you stopping and playing worked well.

One suggestion, If you can, show the deck before the first video and maybe talk about what it is supposed to do or what you see as win cons.

Also watching through the game real quick before you record, it could have just been exhaustion but there were a couple of times where you were like "wait what happened, I thought something else was about to happen"

Lastly and I dont know if this is relevant or even feasible but you mentioned your big picks, maybe when people send in their videos, they could include, their first couple picks if they remember them, what put them into the colors they were in?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Sep 2013, 22:46

Good calls all.
I knew by Round 2 that I should've started by showing the deck.
MisterDee
First Video: It's Magic

Postby MisterDee » 09 Sep 2013, 10:39

That was really, really interesting. I wish we could have seen the draft (because I find that the most entertaining part, usually) but this was very educational for me.

(I'll need to have people tell me about doing the math and making sure to eke out every little bit of value a few hundred times more before it sticks, but you're getting me there.)

Specifically, that mistake with the Sensory Deprived spirit is something I absolutely would have done - especially since when I have a good board position, I get sloppy.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 09 Sep 2013, 11:50

Oh yeah, one more thing:
MTGO actually has a built-in draft recorder (you have to explicitly turn it on in the settings though).
Using that you could actually say some useful things about the draft itself, which could be nice.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
A-Z
First Video: unskipable

Postby A-Z » 09 Sep 2013, 13:53

That was really great. I liked the play by play and enjoyed seeing how the games went without any awkward waiting or filler (not that those aren't also great on occasion).
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Sep 2013, 13:56

MisterDee wrote:That was really, really interesting. I wish we could have seen the draft (because I find that the most entertaining part, usually) but this was very educational for me.

(I'll need to have people tell me about doing the math and making sure to eke out every little bit of value a few hundred times more before it sticks, but you're getting me there.)

Specifically, that mistake with the Sensory Deprived spirit is something I absolutely would have done - especially since when I have a good board position, I get sloppy.

I would recommend catching Numot the nummys stream on twitch, or watching the replay video. he is a very good player, he has fun interacting with his chat, and most importantly, he will talk through a lot of his choices in draft and in play, and when he makes a mistake he admits it and says "well I should have done this instead" but he maintains that just getting beat doesnt mean you did it wrong, he says all the time "well we lost but I still say that was the right play at the time, you cant play around a mythic you havent seen yet"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Fec
First Video: Comedy Draft

Postby Fec » 09 Sep 2013, 20:23

Made an account just to post on this vid.

I'd just like to say that I really appreciate seeing this. Watching you make mistakes and point them out, not only helps me learn a bit, but as a new player to MTGO it really makes me feel like less of an idiot for the times that I make boneheaded mistakes or miss plays.

Seeing this type of thing and realizing that even experienced players screw up sometimes really helps to boost my confidence. I am not ashamed to admit that MTGO is a little bit intimidating to me, much like going to FNMs and playing with strangers was when I first started. It's almost like trying to relearn magic.

So thanks for teaching me something and helping to make me a more confident player.

Return to “MtG”