Friday Nights: Hero's Path - The Calling

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
Graham
Super Moderator

Re: Friday Nights: Hero's Path - The Calling

Postby Graham » 18 Sep 2013, 17:21

No, the Twitter account is a different thing. That's WotC internal.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 18 Sep 2013, 17:48

My favorite Friday Night's episode in a while. Thanks for the chuckle! I look forward to similar mini-arc LRR episodes next year.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 18 Sep 2013, 18:32

I figured, but Marshall writes for the mothership, and he did say "I am the Oracle of Theros". I thought it was a clue or something. Like, a not very subtle one.

Anyway, great episode.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
AzureDragoon
First Video: ive been watching so long i cant remembe

Postby AzureDragoon » 19 Sep 2013, 09:47

Besides the removal of that one line I really enjoyed this episode. It really spoke to me because I have been having the same problems as Kathleen with choosing which color I am going to be running for the Pre-Release. With it coming down to the wire I think I have finally chosen the color I will rep in Green.
Why can't I hold all these Dragons - Scion EDH Deck
Experiments gone wrong - Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH Deck
BearForce1 - Gaddock Teeg EDH Deck
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 19 Sep 2013, 20:29

Friday: Nights: Hero's Path - The Calling

--OR--

Friday Nights: The Return Of The Arc

So, I guess Wizards of the Coast is happy with the numbers for Friday Nights because they seem to have ordered...a spinoff series? Of sorts. This reminds me somewhat of when Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine were on the air at the same time. I mean, you just can't get enough Next Gen, so let's take Miles O'brien and Worf and and tell more stories in the same universe, right? It's a weak analogy, I know, and no one mention mention Voyager, which would be the equivalent of a third series of Friday Nights where everyone played Kaijudo...WAIT...DON'T MENTION KAIJUDO EITHER!! Just, change gears!

-The Return Of The Arc-
While this season of Friday Nights has been amazing, I have felt strongly that the lack of a narrative arc was unfortunate. Now, hooray, we get an arc, and apparently KATHLEEN IS THE STAR! Of all the Commodore Hustle characters least likely to grow and change, CH Kathleen is pretty high on the list, as even she admits in this episode ("Wisdom does directly contradict my life motto of, Live And Don't Learn"), but I think she is the PERFECT choice to take center stage and embark upon a Hero's Path...

-Reasons Why Kathleen Is Perfect To Be The Focus Of This Arc-

1) Seeing her character forced to work outside her comfort zone by playing mono-black means we have an actual struggle and conflict for her character. This means that she can't just free float through events, but rather, has a vested interest in focusing herself and setting goals. I am reminded of Paul tediously play-testing decks in Season 1. The narrative malaise this season came from every character knowing how to play and what to play, and thus not really needing to work to achieve anything in the world of Magic. That's why way back in "Guild Fight!" I cheered when Tally asked, "How do you draft?" Not because the show should be a How-To guide for Magic, but because characters need to be learning and adapting to new situations. This is perfect for Kathleen's character. Her actually giving a crap about something is perfect.

2) It's nice to have an emphasis on a female or "Lady" player. Magic has always had a weird disconnect among the genders, and as a result, the game is overwhelmingly dominated by men. My wife once commented that the most empty women's room she ever saw was when we went to Worlds. Showing a woman playing and enjoying and succeeding in Magic is good for both prospective women players, current women players, and also male players in that just seeing that this isn't a game just for guys helps them adjust their thinking when that lone girl shows up at the shop.

-Best Jokes-
Graham's "Win The Game On Flavor Grounds" lesson in Greek mythology.

Alex choosing between cake, and Alex choosing between functional reprints.

Cam choosing to play green. Cam kills as always, and seeing him sheepishly pick the color he once dreaded playing back at the M14 prerelease was hilarious. Ah, Cam. If I got back to comparing Friday Nights to Star Trek: TNG, then you would be this show's Mr. Data.

And of course, Graham telling his cat all about how he did at the prerelease.

-Worst Joke-
Well, evidently it was the one that got cut, although I laughed pretty hard when I saw it before the edit. You guys can still mention D&D, right?

-Thanks For The Recommendation-
I hadn't listened to Limited Resources before now, but checked out the podcast because of this episode. While not a player of limited, I am glad you pointed me over that way. Is that what you guys in "The Biz" call synergy?

-Cinematography Shout-Out-
Great camera work. Am I correct that you did a lot of things you haven't done before in terms of shots and transitions? I loved the quality of technical work on display here.

-Missed Divine Intervention-
When Kathleen was gazing at that booster pack wrapper, I was expecting Erebus to start talking to her. Although that would be certifiable, even in the CH/Friday Nights universe, wouldn't it?

-Where's Matt?-
Whenever Matt is not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Matt?" I believe we lost Paul and Jer this episode as well.

-Final Thoughts-
Keep the emphasis on Kathleen and her "journey". Think season 1. This is great stuff, probably the one of your best episodes. Keep the tone, keep the focus. it's really brilliant.
This is a 9 part episode IN ADDITION to our monthly Friday Nights? How often will episodes of "Hero's Path" air? Who pitched the idea, you to Wizards, or them to you? Great stuff, as always.

GRADE: A+
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 19 Sep 2013, 23:20

Matt is still getting an education, over in Vancouver. As for the others, this side-story will have a more focused cast Ep-to-Ep, since there's only one plot thread per show.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 19 Sep 2013, 23:25

Professor STAFF wrote:This is a 9 part episode IN ADDITION to our monthly Friday Nights? How often will episodes of "Hero's Path" air? Who pitched the idea, you to Wizards, or them to you? Great stuff, as always.

I'd guess they'll be around the same time as the steps of the path. So one for each pre-release, one for each release, and one for each game day. But I've no way to be sure.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 Sep 2013, 00:56

Kapol wrote:
Professor STAFF wrote:This is a 9 part episode IN ADDITION to our monthly Friday Nights? How often will episodes of "Hero's Path" air? Who pitched the idea, you to Wizards, or them to you? Great stuff, as always.
I'd guess they'll be around the same time as the steps of the path. So one for each pre-release, one for each release, and one for each game day. But I've no way to be sure.
Correct, the Wednesday before each Friday. So another this week, then in a couple weeks before Game Day. Then 3 more when Born of the Gods comes out.

As for who pitched it, WotC did, at almost exactly the same time as they contacted us about bringing Friday Nights back for a 2nd Season. So we've known for a while.
It was people from different departments, amusingly.
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 20 Sep 2013, 11:49

Graham wrote:Matt is still getting an education, over in Vancouver. As for the others, this side-story will have a more focused cast Ep-to-Ep, since there's only one plot thread per show.

Have you told him that education is overrated ? :lol:

Postby korvys » 20 Sep 2013, 15:57

On a second (or, ninth) viewing, iPod Marshall doesn't actually provide any help at all...

keybase.io
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 21 Sep 2013, 02:00

what were you expecting?
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Sep 2013, 15:35

korvys wrote:On a second (or, ninth) viewing, iPod Marshall doesn't actually provide any help at all...
He leads her in the right direction, and asks the questions she needs to hear.
korvys

Postby korvys » 22 Sep 2013, 15:11

The Socratic method of teaching then? How greek.

keybase.io
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 23 Sep 2013, 02:36

so flavourful, you don't even realise until it's too late!
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Dusk_Shine
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Dusk_Shine » 25 Sep 2013, 22:51

I love how Alex just grows increasingly bewildered throughout the episode.

On a side note, went Green at pre-release, and did pretty well.

So....totally pulled an Elspeth, a Hythonia, and two Mistcutter Hydras (one foil, one normal) in my prerelease pool. Got another normal Mistcutter and a foil Thoughtseize in my 4 prize packs after going 3 and 1 (ran Green with a splash of red for removal, lost first match 1-2 then went 2-0, 2-1, 2-1).

Thoughts?
Matt0Wolfy0Hegi
First Video: "Its Magic"

Postby Matt0Wolfy0Hegi » 02 Oct 2013, 02:02

I CHOSE AMBITION BECAUSE OF THIS VIDEO AND......I pulled nothing good. So ran Green/White with blue for some counter-spells.

Oh and I love marshall "the oracle"

Nothing else to say, well acted, well written and Perfectly timed, as always.
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 03 Oct 2013, 11:56

Professor STAFF wrote:-Where's Matt?-
Whenever Matt is not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Matt?"

Graham wrote:Matt is still getting an education, over in Vancouver.

I'm pretty sure Professor was making a reference to the line in The Simpsons where Homer talks about ways to improve Poochie.
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)

Return to “MtG”