General LRL Stream Feedback

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Re: General LRL Stream Feedback

Postby ritchards » 16 Feb 2014, 10:59

Kathleen was saying (on twitter) that she might consider it again if there was a non-first person game. I present to you: RPGMaker games that are based on Japanese horror ideas! (So top down view). For example, look at Ao Oni, The Crooked Man, and Ib (that's capital i and b).
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 16 Feb 2014, 11:47

A quick gif summary of Let's Nope - Outlast:

The stream gets of to an appropriately spoopy start

But then the crew are beset by SPOOPY TECHNICAL PROBLEMS!

The stream resumes, but those spoopy ghoasts can spaghetFUCKED!

Not even Snoopy can save our intrepid screamers, I mean streamers...

And the Live Scream ends with MAXIMUM SPOOP

:D
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 16 Feb 2014, 11:55

The best part was on several occasions Kathleen would say "something is about to jump ouuAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 Feb 2014, 12:24

Lets Nope gave me hiccups.
Trippzen
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Trippzen » 16 Feb 2014, 12:53

I didn't see a thread about the Let's Nope so I figured I'd post this here. Kathleen's nausea and the short discussion about nausea in Outlast and Bioshock Infinite reminded me of virtual/digital motion sickness, which can be caused by field of view differences between console/TV and PC monitors. If you already know about this, you can just skip over all the rest of this post but the gist of it is:

When most people play console games on a TV they're seated relatively far from the screen and the screen is typically larger than a PC monitor. This difference means that a different field of view feels "normal". 55-65 degrees is very common for console games as it feels natural. PC games, on the other hand, played on a smaller monitor with the player seated closer to the screen need a larger FOV in order to feel natural. 90 degrees is normal for PC, but a range from 90-120 is also quite common depending on the game (some/many prefer 110 for first-person games).

The problem comes when games, often multi-platform ones, are released on PC with a default FOV designed for consoles. In the case of Outlast, the PC version .ini file claims a defaultFOV and runningFOV of 90; however, it is supposedly actually closer to 65 degrees, which can cause virtual/digital motion sickness for some players and viewers. Bioshock Infinite has a similar problem. The PC version of Bioshock Infinite has an FOV slider, but it caps out around 85 degrees, which is still a little narrow for PC.

This website explains why different FOVs are necessary for different platforms and why it can cause nausea pretty well:
http://www.incgamers.com/2013/05/why-go ... o-pc-games

And this link explains how to adjust the FOV in Outlast, as well as some other adjustments, if anyone is interested in trying it:
http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/ ... =176247453
Trippzen or Scy
Battle.net: Scy#1617
WoW: Scy (US-Proudmoore)
Evil Keebler Elf
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Evil Keebler Elf » 16 Feb 2014, 13:06

Nice post Trippzen!

I'd been hearing folks talk about FOV changes lately and I know FPSs have had the tendency to make me queezy lately. I have thought it was the ADD medication I take now.

Though I don't know if this explains games like Stanley Parable making me feel nauseous...Will look into it ^_^
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 16 Feb 2014, 14:12

Am I the only one completely destroyed by Alex's Grover voice?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 16 Feb 2014, 18:09

Oh, his "MtG n00b-douchebro" voice? Yeaahhhhhhh :D
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 16 Feb 2014, 18:19

I just wanted to make a note of the amazing amount of precision that must have been required to schedule every single show, to make sure I can't see even a second of any of them live:

On the upside, I was there for the whole Let's Nope ("Oh, it's just a chuck of spine") and I can pause VODs, and not miss anything.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
empath

Postby empath » 16 Feb 2014, 19:27

You're leaving out "Video Games With Video James" which isn't when you're working...it's on before you wake up. ;)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 16 Feb 2014, 19:32

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
korvys

Postby korvys » 16 Feb 2014, 19:44

empath wrote:You're leaving out "Video Games With Video James" which isn't when you're working...it's on before you wake up. ;)

Yes, I am :P the picture wouldn't look nearly as good with it.
Also, as mentioned, It starts at 2:30am for me, and I am well and truly asleep at that point.

keybase.io
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Feb 2014, 20:00

Some thoughts on the multiplayer LRRCraft:

-I don't like trying to get everyone to do a subscriber shout-out every time someone subscribes. On top of being harder due to more distraction (which isn't helped by the other Twitch shows that went on from my understanding), I don't think it's worth trying to do it throughout the stream. It seems like it'd be better to do it at the end, like Graham ended up doing.
-Having just Graham perspective is a bit... off to be honest. I like that he tried to be everywhere, but it lead to things getting missed. For example, the super-creepers that I'd never even heard of. Missing that kind of made me sad cause it sounded awesome/hilarious. But at the same time, being around for everything would mean he'd miss out actually being able to adventure and have fun too. So it's hard to figure out how (and even if) that could be fixed.
-Paul was my favorite, mostly because of the things we didn't get to see him do. He seemed like he was pretty new to the game, and it sounded like he was having a lot of fun with it. Moments like "I'm trapped in a mine and don't know where I am or what to do, halp" or "Yea, I just climbed up this mountain and built a bridge to a magic floating island with a spire where this light-thingy is and the mod-god was hanging out" were hilarious and felt like missed adventures almost. Though I think that was possible partly due to not streaming, but he gave off a real 'I'm new but I'm having fun messing around with friends' feel that made it pretty fun.
-Checking to see what everyone is doing a little bit more often might be helpful. Perhaps using teleporters or something. Cause we got to hear a lot about Cam's greenhouse and Jer's lava caverns, but we didn't see much of them. Speaking of which, I kind of forgot Jer was there a few times cause he wasn't saying much. But honestly, that's fine as long as he's having fun.
-I'm torn on Fugi's antics. On the one hand, they were funny, and he seemed to be trying to joke around and have fun too (which is fair I think). On the other, I can understand the desire to just do the entire thing without 'mod help' so to speak, and having stuff like super-creepers spawning or cats falling from high places kind of takes away from that. I'd almost say just having him playing with the crew would be more fun, even if he did take on a troll-y role. I'd say it'd just be better without using the mod powers.
-I kind of like the idea of Kathleen being 'the supervisor' since she can't really play due to the first person thing (unless there's another reason, I just mean her not playing really). Like, I think it's great when everyone is doing their own thing. But if people don't know what to do, and there's stuff that can be done, having Kathleen acting as the supervisor to keep people from getting bored could work. Though, admittedly, getting bored and having fun is part of the appeal of Minecraft.

Overall, I'm looking forward to more crewplay. And a lot of this can be specifically tied to Minecraft of course. I'm torn between wanting more Minecraft next time, and wanting to see something new. Maybe it'd be nice to have mini stream-crosses whenever people are up to it? Like maybe have James playing with Graham on his Stream, or a bonus stream when any of the crew want to play together?
korvys

Postby korvys » 16 Feb 2014, 20:23

I haven't had a chance to watch the group stream, but maybe it's something that would work better as a non-live thing?

I've watched the Yogscast a fair bit, and because they're recorded, they can switch view to whoever is the most interesting. Maybe something like that would solve the problems Kapol mentioned? Or, each crew member could stream independently, and views could switch them selves if they want to know what each person is up to.

keybase.io
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Feb 2014, 23:02

Here's an idea, if you want to get different people's views. Since they're using Google Hangouts, everyone screenshares their screen instead of their face. Then, you just stream the Google Hangout as the main screen, and when something interesting happens with Jer, the main host just flips to Jer's screen in the Hangout for the streaming. (Note: I'm not sure if the crew is aware of this, but in Google Hangouts, you can force the view to a participant by clicking on their little window at the bottom.)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 16 Feb 2014, 23:56

Yeah, we know how Hangouts work, but that would look like baaaaaalls unless everyone had a great computer/connection at their own place :(

I'm really happy with how we presented today's, even if we did miss some stuff.
My jungle quest may have not been a good idea.
I'd had preferred Fugi not do that so much, considering Paul, Jer and Cam were pretty green to Minecraft, compared to the others of us. It kind of took us out of the discovery aspect. But I don't mind too much (if you're reading, Fugi :D )
xantheros
First Video: cHustle 4

Postby xantheros » 17 Feb 2014, 00:45

There is a Spectator mode (Link) in the latest development snapshot which allows you to noclip around or take a player's perspective and ride along with them. You could have the machine sending the stream set to Spectate and occasionally just teleport it to another player every so often.

There's also a Bukkit plugin, Spectate (Link) which does the same thing, if mods are an option.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 17 Feb 2014, 03:02

Could do joint crew projects if everyone can agree on a thing to build and everyone was happy to do the project.
Might not be great for the crew members who are fresher to Minecraft as they might be wanting to discover Minecraft of their own terms more.
Conoros
First Video: How to speak like a pirate

Postby Conoros » 17 Feb 2014, 04:03

Getting a wider look would be cool, but only if it can be done in a way that doesn't break stuff I guess. Maybe rotate who is the camera each month?
From my understanding of things, have a live cam-swap is alot more technically difficult that the current one.

I was happy with the way it worked and enjoyed watching it, keeping the same setup would have no issues with me :)

With the end of the first month (and change) of streaming, I'd also like to say I have enjoyed it immensely and look forward to watching it for the rest of the year \o/

(How many Lrr crew does it take to change a light bulb? They can't, they're too busy trying to get the chickens into the reactor :D - sorry that bit was just too hilarious not to comment on)
Conor / Magellus
empath

Postby empath » 17 Feb 2014, 04:11

'Crewstream' was AWESOME!

1) *shakes fist* FUUUUGGIIII!! :lol: All in all, I *DO* think Fugiman added something to the stream...even if it turned out to be an antagonist everyone could rally against. :D

2) Didja do this with Wirecast through the 'streaming Mac' or was is with Xsplit 'straight' from the gaming PC? Or did Google hangouts handle it?

3) a lot of good ideas for the next 'let's all play minecraft together' above; too many for me to pick any out. :P

4) of course, if you're wanting a different game, I recall a suggestion in the chat that I liked - Monaco. :D

All in all, great fun watching this, and I hope you ALL had great fun taking part in it! :mrgreen:

...oh, and for the 'newbs', I hate to break it to you, but unless you specifically go hunting for them, you might never see 'supercharged creepers' again; I've been playing since Indev, and I have yet to see one... ;_;
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 17 Feb 2014, 06:35

Catching up on the Let's Nope, so far I love the cartoon ghost on the logo. Very Kate Beaton.

As for the show itself, it skates the line between painful and funny depending on how sympathetic to your suffering I feel like being. I'm going to call it painfun, or maybe incongruesome or compassilarious.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 Feb 2014, 06:53

I think the stream was awesome. I agree with Graham that him spending all that time going wood hunting was meh. It was cool to have to treehouse but I think someone else going would have been better because Graham was the viewers interface to the world.

Cameron did some great work and the chicken reactor was just too funny. I think the best part was Alex and the eggs.

Alex: "you guys are dumb, here, I climb up, throw some eggs (pop pop pop pop) there I fixed the whole problem in 30 seconds, done! (three chicks come running out of the hole in the reactor) SON OF A B*! SOMEONE GET ME MORE EGGS!"

[–]Graham_LRR
Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 17 Feb 2014, 07:31

Overall I really enjoyed the group stream (delighted to see a couple of my skins got used!) but I definitely agree with Graham in regards to Fugi and the jungle adventure. In fact, personally I'd have preferred if Fugi hadn't been there at all - nothing against the guy, but him popping up unannounced did seem to mess with the dynamic of the stream.

The best parts, though, had to be building of the Chicken Reactor and the creation and antics of JERF. Looking forward to seeing the further adventures of LRR plays Minecraft! :D
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Necabo
First Video: an lrr vid on the escapist spring 2011

Postby Necabo » 17 Feb 2014, 09:30

Graham wrote:Yeah, we know how Hangouts work, but that would look like baaaaaalls unless everyone had a great computer/connection at their own place :(

I'm really happy with how we presented today's, even if we did miss some stuff.
My jungle quest may have not been a good idea.

Maybe everyone (if able) can record their session and a highlight reel can be fixed up from those. That would be very nice to see and not very intensive on most PC's (i will stress most here because not all games are so low-requirement as minecraft)
ImageImage

jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 17 Feb 2014, 10:57

The Let's NOPE and group stream were both awesome.

I had a thought about future Let's NOPEs based on hilarity that was going on in the chat: How does Kate handle horror games? A few people were linking her "nopegirl" gif, without even realizing it was from a LRR production. Graham, how much do you think she would Nope out at a horror game/would it be less damaging than it was to Kathleen?

As for the group stream, the only thing of the half of it I saw (and I'll go back for the rest later) that I would have liked to see and didn't was the charged creeper...incidents. Otherwise I rather enjoyed the stream wandering off and doing something and coming back to see the wonders the rest of the crew had put together in the intervening time. Might also have liked to see a group assault on a Nether fortress. In future streams you could make a concerted effort to build toward The End or a Wither for maximum hilarity!
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”