General LRL Stream Feedback

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: General LRL Stream Feedback

Postby Kapol » 17 Feb 2014, 11:33

empath wrote:1) *shakes fist* FUUUUGGIIII!! :lol: All in all, I *DO* think Fugiman added something to the stream...even if it turned out to be an antagonist everyone could rally against. :D

That's what I was thinking too. It kind of felt like he was the angry god enacting retribution on the crew for Alex's slights. But I understand why they didn't want him around too. It just felt like it turned into a running gag to me. "Admin Creeper is watching you" sort of thing. The main thing that seemed too far was sending the super-monsters after them.

Also, to be clear, I'm saying everything I'm saying as someone who watched and enjoyed the stream. I'm not trying to come off as harsh, or as if anything I mentioned 'ruined' the stream for me. Just trying to think of how it could be improved.

I actually enjoyed Graham's Jungle Adventure for the most part. It just happened at such an inopportune time (the super-creeper debacle) that it felt like it took away from the stream. But I think leaving the rest of the crew for a while and coming back to see their accomplishments is also a pretty neat idea in retrospect. The main issue seemed to be that night was kind of... dull from G*'s view, since he just ended up hiding. But it still felt neat to watch him jump around. And I thought 'the cat that got away' was hilarious, if sad (and understandable). I just think it would have been better to have him TP back to the base during the night, then TP where he had been when the some comes up. That way we don't have 10-20 minutes of nothing much happening.

The only thing I can think of to allow for switching without requiring a 'not doing anything' person would be to have it be a LAN-type thing with all of the views on a local switch connected to the streaming PC. But that likely isn't a good solution given the number of people involved.

And honestly, in retrospect I kind of like that we can't see everything going on at once. Even if we miss stuff, it adds mystery (Paul's Adventures for example, which likely would have been less exciting to a more experienced player) and discovery (seeing what everyone has been doing) that being able to just switch between perspectives would allow.
pokute
First Video: Phailhaüs

Postby pokute » 17 Feb 2014, 17:08

Crossing the Streams was all sorts of awesome. Watching you guys play together was great fun. I was also impressed by how little cross-talk there was.

My only complaint is that you can't switch PoVs. If you were to group-stream Minecraft again, might I suggest that you have someone act solely as a camera man on the main computer and put that character into op and creative mode. You can get much better angles on the action using flying and quickly teleport between hotspots.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 17 Feb 2014, 17:27

...or try out that "Spectator Mode" in the latest snapshot (I personally don't try beta stuff if I can possibly avoid it)
CSt
First Video: cHustle: Arms Race

Postby CSt » 18 Feb 2014, 00:56

I liked the whole stream, the "Search for the Jungle" was a bit tedious, but it gave me my personal favorite moment of the stream.
I don't mind not seeing the creepers attacking, I think this was the best way to have it. It was never going to be spectacular visually and there was real confusion and a small bit of panic. That would not have been better by having someone else there who did the same thing. Maybe looking on from outside, but I don't think Graham being there would have made this better. I would have liked a look at the crater, but I don't mind the way it happened.
The solution with the Hangout worked great, but maybe take an hour (or five minutes?) before and have a look at the lighting and the sound. James was dark and Jer leaned out of the camera, maybe adjust that. Otherwise it worked great with the shifting focus.

But I have to agree with Kapol, the subscriber shout-outs are a problem. I am right now watching the replay of yesterdays Checkpoint, the chat just broke and I am thankfull. Of course you should aknowlegde new subscribers and thank them, but it is just getting to much. Checkpoint+ especially feels like it is half content and half shout-outs. Put those at the end or maybe go the other way and once a week take an hour to thank everyone who signed up.
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Postby Clypheous » 18 Feb 2014, 11:46

I want to get a Minecraft server with a bunch of people together on Hangouts or Skype or something and just go nuts too. That looked like so much fun. Now all I have to do is make more friends who know what Minecraft is...

I really, really hope that you guys thought this was as much fun as it looked like. I personally enjoy the streams the best where the person playing is having a blast either because of the game being fun, being hilariously awful, or because of the fun interactions with the chat. But when you guys are having fun, it's contagious. That's probably why I enjoy watching it so much.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 18 Feb 2014, 14:43

Would any of you consider streaming playing a MOBA?

It might be a good stream because chat can offer tips or advice for item builds/skill builds/strategy based on the immediate situation.

You can also play with viewers.
-
Downside is that you'd need a co-pilot to read chat since the player would be 100% involved in the game.

You cannot control what other players in the game type or say on the voip.

Games last varying lengths, so you can't plan precisely how long the stream will be. You'll end up with dead time at the end, or overtime.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 18 Feb 2014, 16:36

Merrymaker, frankly, I think that's a bad idea. First off, chat can't give much tips and advice for an immediate situation due to the lag, which would slow down everything they do if they tried to listen to the chat (even with a co-pilot). The only way I think it'd work is if one of them already knows how to play pretty well. And even then, trying to be funny while playing would make it much more difficult. Even if they aren't paying attention to chat, they likely would be trying to be entertaining.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 18 Feb 2014, 17:47

As far as other ideas for "The whole crew gets together to play a game and also streams it" go I think a group sitting around and playing Cards Against Humanity would be entertaining, whether in a sort of podcast style with the actual card game, or through the online facsimile.

Although I can't recall the crew ever streaming something that inevitably vulgar, so perhaps a "Not safe for any amount of work, nor safe for the faint of heart, butt, or any body part" warning would need to be added, and that could impede interest. Hard to say.
empath

Postby empath » 18 Feb 2014, 17:56

I second the "let's podcast a tabletop game/card game/etc" for some kind of irregular event! :D
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 18 Feb 2014, 19:22

Wow, because of, we assume, Twitch Plays Pokemon, the chat is well lrrEFF'd...
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 18 Feb 2014, 19:37

I like the idea of a board game time. But I've been wanting to see a group Commander game for a while.

And yea, I think all chats are pretty bad right now. I think Twitch needs to do something about it soon, because it's getting stupid frankly.
RytelCSF

Postby RytelCSF » 18 Feb 2014, 20:28

I think the problem with a live Commander game would be that they'd have to constantly be telling the chat "I currently control an X which does Y" which would severely break the flow of the gameplay. Since the board/cards would be difficult to view from a single camera's perspective, it would have to be a game in which you could tell what was going on even if you could only hear the audio. Other than that though, I think any sort of non-electronic game is a good idea.
pokute
First Video: Phailhaüs

Postby pokute » 18 Feb 2014, 23:13

Is Temple of the Lava Bears still a thing? Is that going to be group played in a physical room or online? When is that going to start anyhow?
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 18 Feb 2014, 23:35

They were playing tonight, we could hear them during Beej's stream.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 18 Feb 2014, 23:41

That's not what Pokute was referring to, I believe. Part of the Kickstarter was a mini-series of Temple Of The Lava Bears.

EDIT: I was wrong, it will be streamed live. So I'm not sure how it'll be done... maybe something like Google Hangouts, similar to the Crossing the Streams?
Wooglie
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Wooglie » 19 Feb 2014, 04:44

Where do the phrases 'Spoopy' and 'Let's nope' come from? I've heard them before in LRR and desert bus stuff, just wondered what the origins were.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 19 Feb 2014, 06:24

Wooglie wrote:Where do the phrases 'Spoopy' and 'Let's nope' come from? I've heard them before in LRR and desert bus stuff, just wondered what the origins were.

I assume "Let's Nope" is just a version of "Let's Play", except adding the Nope for spooky/creepy stuff. As in "nope, do not want".

Spoopy, on the other hand...
Wooglie
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Wooglie » 19 Feb 2014, 07:02

Thanks. Sometimes it's hard to know if the meme started with LRR or not :)
RytelCSF

Postby RytelCSF » 19 Feb 2014, 08:04

Well, as long as it's safe to ask these things... what the hell is a flunge?

Seriously, I've been looking all over trying to figure out what this means much less why we're keeping track of them, but the only non-sexual usage I could find was as a fencing term. I don't see what that has to do with Magic, much less any of the other streams.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 19 Feb 2014, 08:20

RytelCSF wrote:Well, as long as it's safe to ask these things... what the hell is a flunge?

Seriously, I've been looking all over trying to figure out what this means much less why we're keeping track of them, but the only non-sexual usage I could find was as a fencing term. I don't see what that has to do with Magic, much less any of the other streams.

As far as Magic goes, it's attacking with everything and letting your opponent work out the damage, IIRC. As it applies to other streams, I'd imagine it's for an all in action that's minor effort? Like using the Auto-Attack in SMT. Someone that's a bit more knowledgeable can feel free to correct me, so we can all learning happy fun.
empath

Postby empath » 19 Feb 2014, 09:04

MtG adopted a fencing term - referring to a 'flying lunge'. You can see one in action in the pic under the 'Technique' section of the wiki page on Sabre fencing

This type of 'all-out offensive' can be risky, as it leaves the attacker very exposed if the attack is not successful, thus the similarity to the MtG flunge.

(oh, and trivial point: other fencing disciplines have a similar 'charging attack' that might be more familiar: flèche. The difference here is, in Sabre one is not permitted to bring their back foot past their fore foot - since Sabre simulates mounted cavalry swordplay - thus it's more a standing leap (making your horse surge forward?) than a running charge... )
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Feb 2014, 09:05

Other games follow in the MtG context, which in turns follows from Fencing. Essentially a Flunge is when the player just gets fed up, goes "eff this", and makes an all out attack (or similar action) that leaves them near-defenseless in the process, with no real expectation of surviving in the end unless they manage to immediately take out their opponent(s) with the action.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 22 Feb 2014, 22:36

So where did tilt come from? I get that it is a pinball term, but I've never heard it used outside of LRR livestreams. What communities is it popular in?
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 22 Feb 2014, 23:12

It's a pinball term, massively popularized in poker, and brought to Magic by poker>Magic players.

It's used heavily in poker and Magic. I'm surprised you've never heard it outside our streams, actually.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 22 Feb 2014, 23:24

I hadn't heard it before either, as far as I can recall.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”