General LRL Stream Feedback

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
beowuuf
First Video: Can't remember! Binged them all so fast!

Re: General LRL Stream Feedback

Postby beowuuf » 31 Dec 2014, 12:06

My Phlip's archive seems to play back the recent streams perfectly! With added chat :)

http://www.lrrbot.mrphlip.com/archive
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 04 Jan 2015, 03:38

Yeah, Twitch seems to currently have two separate systems for playing back archived streams... a newer HLS-based one and an older Flash-Video-based one.

The embedded Twitch player (which the lrrbot site uses) has the streams stored as nearly-half-hour Flash Video chunks, which then get downloaded and played. If there's a copyrighted music match, that whole chunk gets muted (so you end up with nearly half an hour of silence around the match). The player has some problems (it's slow to load and seek, and can only load the video in full source resolution, so if your bandwidth can't hack it then you're boned), but it's mostly functional.

The real Twitch site delivers the archives using a similar technique to their live streams, using HLS. The video is downloaded in small segments, a couple of seconds long, which then get streamed down. In theory, this allows for smoother playback, makes it easier to seek forward and back through the archive, and eliminates the shudder every half hour as it loads the next track. But it's a lot newer, so the player has a lot more teething problems to work out. And it also means that if your bandwidth isn't good enough, you're even more boned as you can't wait and let the current segment load in the background, since the current segment is only a couple of seconds long. It does however have the ability to try to watch the archive at lower resolutions, but so far the reliability of that has been sketchy at best. Hopefully that'll improve over time, though.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 08 Jan 2015, 10:46

So with 'The Movies' having rounded out the Arland streams (I think?) ...am I the only one who thinks that they've been really great? I can't recall all of what they were, but even just in the last week or two, KSP, Gunpoint and The Movies were all great watches, as was Jer doing God Hand and Alex/Heather on Nuclear Throne earlier in 2014. I think it's been cool seeing the crew trying out games they normally wouldn't have, to high degrees of interest and hilarity.

So, I feel like I have to ask - is there any way we can keep this kind of thing going? Obviously not on the scale of a Kickstarter, but perhaps every couple months, a random twitch sub gets chosen and they can choose, or people can put in a dollar or two to put a game/streamer in the hat or so forth. It's probably not that simple and I know you guys produce a TON of streaming content already, but I felt like it's an idea worth throwing out there.
GDwarf

Postby GDwarf » 08 Jan 2015, 21:20

SohNata wrote:So with 'The Movies' having rounded out the Arland streams (I think?) ...am I the only one who thinks that they've been really great? I can't recall all of what they were, but even just in the last week or two, KSP, Gunpoint and The Movies were all great watches, as was Jer doing God Hand and Alex/Heather on Nuclear Throne earlier in 2014. I think it's been cool seeing the crew trying out games they normally wouldn't have, to high degrees of interest and hilarity.

So, I feel like I have to ask - is there any way we can keep this kind of thing going? Obviously not on the scale of a Kickstarter, but perhaps every couple months, a random twitch sub gets chosen and they can choose, or people can put in a dollar or two to put a game/streamer in the hat or so forth. It's probably not that simple and I know you guys produce a TON of streaming content already, but I felt like it's an idea worth throwing out there.

I'm...very ignorant of the details of how Patreon works, but would it maybe be doable to have a pool of people who pledge more than x/month and select one of them to choose a game for a 2-hour stream? It seems likely, given that it can single out people who pledge $10+/month, that it's at least technically possible.
May those who accept their fate find happiness; Those who defy it, glory!
Mr.Wizard
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet 1

Postby Mr.Wizard » 09 Jan 2015, 02:31

Just wanted to say thanks for all the recent Youtube uploads guys. Have been wanting to watch Alex's Long Dark streams for ages.

Does anyone know if the Teslagrad stream has gone up? Missed seeing it live and can't find it anywhere.
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 09 Jan 2015, 11:09

Just wondering when, if ever, Alex is planning on finishing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. During the first stream, he mentioned finishing it on the next Let's Nope, but that didn't pan out.
Trevor
First Video: suspiciously good movers

Postby Trevor » 10 Jan 2015, 08:25

SohNata wrote:So with 'The Movies' having rounded out the Arland streams (I think?) ...am I the only one who thinks that they've been really great? I can't recall all of what they were, but even just in the last week or two, KSP, Gunpoint and The Movies were all great watches, as was Jer doing God Hand and Alex/Heather on Nuclear Throne earlier in 2014. I think it's been cool seeing the crew trying out games they normally wouldn't have, to high degrees of interest and hilarity.

I agree. There are a couple of games I've been hoping to get them to play too.
SohNata

Postby SohNata » 10 Jan 2015, 11:40

I have devised a new scale for LRR losing their minds on stream.

- Needing hopsital

- Qwopping

- Needing Qwopsital.
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 11 Jan 2015, 19:45

Soooo with the new schedule they announced today, we can say goodbye to any chance of the LRL youtube channel ever catching up, eh?
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 11 Jan 2015, 21:15

I was just thinking that :(
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 11 Jan 2015, 21:42

Graham insists on Twitter they have "a plan"... so... there's that.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Jan 2015, 22:28

LRR's had plans in the past and we've seen the results of them. :P While I'm hoping for the best, I'm not putting any bets on them. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 12 Jan 2015, 02:22

I'm just super stoked there are now more shows that are live while I'm awake. And we get a Heather solo stream too. Can't wait!
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Can't Wear Hats
Admiral Robocop
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Can't Wear Hats » 12 Jan 2015, 04:04

From Graham's twitter:

:D
"We're not on this asteroid for very long, let's be nice to one another." - Alex Steacy

LRL: http://imgur.com/a/EoMQz#0
Desert Bus 007: http://imgur.com/a/ikM5G#0
Desert Bus 8: http://imgur.com/a/ksPiS

Twitter | Twitch

Mr.Wizard

Postby Mr.Wizard » 12 Jan 2015, 04:58

Heh, I'll be very surprised if they are able to stick to this timetable, solely because it looks like they are trying to do a Crossing the Streams every second week. They weren't able to do them consistently when they were monthly! XD
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 12 Jan 2015, 05:11

I just realized that crossing the streams (CtS) is going to be late at night for me, so I'm going to miss most of it. Also, with CP+ starting earlier, I'll probably miss it due to being at work, or on the street. Oh well, there's always the rep....oh.

I'm not complaining really, more content is always better.
beowuuf
First Video: Can't remember! Binged them all so fast!

Postby beowuuf » 12 Jan 2015, 10:35

I have a feeling with Ian/Cori in the mix now and not having a video due Monday morning they might have more bodies around to do cross the streams more.

I like that there are now a couple of earlier streams that are UK friendly (don't let people like Anubis fool you with his staying up late!)

Maybe the fanstreams will need a single twitch account hosting them, and then we can mutitwitch lrl and fanstream combined.... while checking out the archives on a second machine :)
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Jan 2015, 10:36

Oh man... If there were an LRR fan-stream Twitch team... That'd be awesome.

SohNata

Postby SohNata » 12 Jan 2015, 11:14

Regards VODs: James mentioned on stream they might be looking into Auto-VODs. I know there are a couple Dota players who have systems that can chop up the videos game-by-game and stuff with some sort of automated system, so I imagine it';ll work similarly.

In other news: HEATHER'S HANDHELDS HYPE! Really glad to see Ian have a show too. New schedule looks great for sure.

Also really glad that there's now a lot more content in UK/EU friendly times, so thanks to the crew for taking us into account.

I also love the touch that Adam is just now down for 6hrs, minimum.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 12 Jan 2015, 17:10

Mr.Wizard wrote:Heh, I'll be very surprised if they are able to stick to this timetable, solely because it looks like they are trying to do a Crossing the Streams every second week. They weren't able to do them consistently when they were monthly! XD

To be honest that wasn't even overly ambitious of us, it was always just tricky to get 4 people together, around all the other stuff we had going on. With that said I believe we'll be able to make this every other week schedule work for two reasons.

1. We have more people around these days than we did for most of last year.
2. We no longer spend every Saturday filming a sketch.

So we will be doing our very best to make good on this scheduled promise and see how it goes.
Mr.Wizard

Postby Mr.Wizard » 12 Jan 2015, 18:33

James wrote:
Mr.Wizard wrote:Heh, I'll be very surprised if they are able to stick to this timetable, solely because it looks like they are trying to do a Crossing the Streams every second week. They weren't able to do them consistently when they were monthly! XD

To be honest that wasn't even overly ambitious of us, it was always just tricky to get 4 people together, around all the other stuff we had going on. With that said I believe we'll be able to make this every other week schedule work for two reasons.

1. We have more people around these days than we did for most of last year.
2. We no longer spend every Saturday filming a sketch.

So we will be doing our very best to make good on this scheduled promise and see how it goes.

Sorry, that wasn't meant to come out sounding as negative as it might have, it was mostly tongue in cheek. Regardless, more Crossing the Streams is fantastic. I have yet to watch one that I haven't enjoyed immensely.
Necabo
First Video: an lrr vid on the escapist spring 2011

Postby Necabo » 13 Jan 2015, 02:53

When corrected for my timezone, it looks pretty dire:

The bulk of the streams are during precious sleepytime :P At least James will still be on my thursday dinner schedule :D

But man, back to back streams for most of the weekdays, you guys might want to re-brand ;)
ImageImage

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Jan 2015, 17:00

Discussion got off-topic in the other thread, so I'm continuing it here:
korvys wrote:Don't know why Alex says "I'm a horse now"?
Actually, that's the same reference material, just about a minute or two later. "Hannah" gets turned into a horse (via very poor animation, and somewhat inexplicably, narrative-wise). The humor is mostly from the very poor voice acting, also combined with inexplicable situation.

I guess the key difference is that you are apparently OK with ignorance of things, while ignorance is very distracting, frustrating, and angering to me.

I guess I'm just frustrated at the Chat mostly... Triple problems of:
1. People automatically assuming I've experienced everything they have.
2. People aggressively insisting that I must see specific things.
3. People not ceasing either of those, even when I'm clearly upset.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 13 Jan 2015, 17:46

AdmiralMemo wrote:Discussion got off-topic in the other thread, so I'm continuing it here:
korvys wrote:Don't know why Alex says "I'm a horse now"?
Actually, that's the same reference material, just about a minute or two later. "Hannah" gets turned into a horse (via very poor animation, and somewhat inexplicably, narrative-wise). The humor is mostly from the very poor voice acting, also combined with inexplicable situation.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, that was a hypothetical question.

AdmiralMemo wrote:I guess the key difference is that you are apparently OK with ignorance of things, while ignorance is very distracting, frustrating, and angering to me.

That's an odd way to phrase it. I accept that other people will know things that I do not. I can usually understand things based on the context. If not, I will ask them about it.

Put simply I don't feel the need to acquire knowledge I won't use, when we have ways to acquire just the parts I need, when I need them. Really, I wouldn't classify having the ability get any piece of knowledge I need at a moment's notice "ignorance" at all, even if I didn't know that thing.

EDIT: This is sort of begining to go into my person philosophy on knowledge, etc. You can't know everything, so you're better off know how to get that information. If you dedicate part of your skill set to knowing how to get information (knowing how to google thing effectively, how to discard irrelevant information, how to analyse data), you are sort of virtually expanding your knowledge. If someone asks me the atomic weight of potassium, it's almost the same if I am good at finding the answer as if I have just memorised the answer, unless a bomb is about to go off if I don't know. But the times when there is a difference are rare, and more than made up for by the vast wealth of knowledge that becomes available by approaching things this way.

As it applies to Chat memes, I can ask someone, or I can go find the archive of the stream, if I feel I'm missing out.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 14 Jan 2015, 00:54

I've told you this before Memo, but LRR streams so much that you can't hope to keep up with everything. Remember that 'chat' comprises hundreds of regulars, so when it seems like everyone has seen a certain thing it's really just a subsection of people who happen to be rather loud. My view on streams? They're good fun, so I see nothing wrong with having them on in the background or while you're doing so much else- but as soon as you start sacrificing IRL interactions and concerns for the sake of watching a stream, things are starting to go wrong somewhere.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”