General LRL Stream Feedback

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Re: General LRL Stream Feedback

Postby theycallmejokke » 10 Mar 2017, 02:55

The times seem to have disappeared from the streaming calendar on the main page (Live), just wanted to check if it was something on my end, or if they have disappeared for everyone else too.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
virre
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby virre » 10 Mar 2017, 06:01

theycallmejokke wrote:The times seem to have disappeared from the streaming calendar on the main page (Live), just wanted to check if it was something on my end, or if they have disappeared for everyone else too.

Missing for me to.

Looking at the console it seems related to javascript error in the timezone translation:

Code: Select all

twix.min.js:1 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '_trueStart' of undefined

Maybe typo?

Anyway if you want times, the google doc loinked form that site have the times.
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 10 Mar 2017, 17:15

Thanks virre. :)
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Mar 2017, 03:29

Just a heads-up to anyone who is not doing Daylight Saving Time today... Streams will be an hour earlier than usual.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 12 Mar 2017, 08:04

The stream schedule should be fixed now. I didn't actually do anything, but it looks like it was related to daylight savings. I will try to have a actual solution figured out before the next change :wink:
virre
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby virre » 13 Mar 2017, 01:54

Paul wrote:The stream schedule should be fixed now. I didn't actually do anything, but it looks like it was related to daylight savings. I will try to have a actual solution figured out before the next change :wink:

Is it possible that the libary (twixt I guess is that) do handle timezones have some issues with DST not being normalized between continents or something like that?
GlorySeer
First Video: The Job

Postby GlorySeer » 16 Sep 2017, 20:47

I just got done watching the Pre-Prerelease and heard the news about Magic taking over Friday nights. I'll admit that I'm really disappointed. I understand that Magic is easily the biggest thing LRR does at this point. But at this point, the only streams I generally watch are LRL (which is my personal favorite, and it's sucked that the move and PPR have made it not happen for quite a while), CtS, and AFK. Then I check out other shows if the game being played interests me. So at this point it seems like the streams I actively watch will be halved and it'd already begun to feel relatively low due to the frequency of MtG on AFK.

I'm not trying to say that it shouldn't take that slot. As I said, it's the biggest thing you guys do. But I also felt it was worth mentioning another opinion on it, since I know Magic fans tend to be more outspoken than most.

Another piece of feedback is for games like Dream Daddy or Utena that are largely text based. I've found they're a lot more fun when the players provide voices. Obviously that isn't totally feasible. It's a lot more work without a doubt, so I don't blame anyone for not doing it. But it does make the experience more interesting for me. Though that may be in part due to how I watch things. I generally watch YouTube replays while doing other things, so I miss more in those types of games. I just know the voices are what made the original Battle Construction Vehicles one of my all-time favorites. And the stream with Adam had felt like the game lost a lot of its appeal without voices.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 17 Sep 2017, 16:37

AFK isn't going away though, it's just moving to a different day on the schedule. If anything, the number of non-Magic AFK streams should go up.

What the new paper magic streams are really taking the place of is mostly CtS... but from what they're saying, keeping CtS as a weekly show was getting pretty unsustainable, and they would probably have had to cut it back anyway whether they made this new paper magic show or not. So really, it's more "filling a gap in the schedule" than "forcing another show out".
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
GlorySeer

Postby GlorySeer » 17 Sep 2017, 18:39

Unless I'm mistaken, it still looks like they're alternating. So it'll likely end up being roughly the same or even less if you assume Magic had one or two streams a month. Though a double check of the calendar makes that less clear. So I may be wrong on that. But that's still not quite the point. Even if we get more non-Magic AFK streams the overall number of the two of them combined is still going to drop.

That said, I'm don't quite understand the logic of CtS being unsustainable. That's not to say I don't believe them on that, since they 100% know what's going on much better than I do. I understand good options getting lower, but replaying games seems fine to me. We have so many streams of AFK games like Hero Quest or Risk. But they rarely revisit CtS games. Even ones they seem to really enjoy. There are a lot of games it feels like they could revisit, especially since of the ones they made progress in and then dropped. Death Squared and the Super Hostile map stuff both seem like they could easily revisited. It just reminds me of when they said something about considering switching some CtS streams with AFK due to the AFK backlog, then finding they had quite a few more CtS games then they'd thought.
phlip

Postby phlip » 17 Sep 2017, 21:45

GlorySeer wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, it still looks like they're alternating.

They've said the slot will be mostly AFK, occasionally CtS when they find a good game that fits well. If the calendar says they're alternating, that's probably just a placeholder for future weeks where they haven't picked a game yet.

GlorySeer wrote:But that's still not quite the point. Even if we get more non-Magic AFK streams the overall number of the two of them combined is still going to drop.

Sure, but that reduction can be entirely attributed to CtS going from "weekly" to "occasionally", and not to the new paper magic stream. The two are happening at the same time, and are related, but I don't think the causality is in the direction you think it is.

I don't have any more information than you do about whether CtS had to be reduced. But I'm willing to trust LRR when they say that trying to find a game to play every week, and people to play it, has been a major challenge. They know their own business a lot better than I do.

[edit] To be clear, I'm not trying to say you're not allowed to dislike the change. Or argue against your opinions of which streams you like. But just that I'm trying to clear up some misconceptions and make sure your disapproval is pointed in the right direction...

[he/him/his]
GlorySeer

Postby GlorySeer » 17 Sep 2017, 22:58

phlip wrote:[edit] To be clear, I'm not trying to say you're not allowed to dislike the change. Or argue against your opinions of which streams you like. But just that I'm trying to clear up some misconceptions and make sure your disapproval is pointed in the right direction...

Oh, I know. And I appreciate it. As I said, the PPR was the first time I've heard it. The forums have been kind of dead and I don't really check out social media, so this may be a long while late at this point. I understand they made the choice because they thought it's for the best. And neither of us know what's going on as well as they do. So I can't really say their choice is wrong either. I just felt compelled to add my two cents which was honestly unnecessary.

The reasoning still seems weird to me though. Again, I can't say it's wrong. Just that I don't understand it. Like finding people to play for AFK seems tougher, since you generally need as many people as well as someone to work tech for it. I'm guessing preference plays some part in it. And running out of games is fair, but there still seems like a lot they could revisit. Even if it's more stuff like Overwatch streams. I suppose having PUBG and Minecraft be regular streams doesn't help though.

I think the main reason I felt the reduction was causation rather than anything was because it felt weird to entirely replace Friday streams with Magic to me. That fact specifically made it feel more like the fact they decided to have more Magic streams played a role in the decision. Not that I thought it was the entire reason mind you. Though the fact it's so big and most the crew enjoys playing (a fact I meant to edit into my original post as to why I understand the decision) no doubt made it something to occur more frequently.

Out of curiosity, is there somewhere they've posted about the change? I didn't see anything on the front page about it yet.
phlip

Postby phlip » 18 Sep 2017, 06:18

GlorySeer wrote:Out of curiosity, is there somewhere they've posted about the change? I didn't see anything on the front page about it yet.

I don't think so, they've just talked about it on-stream a few times.

[he/him/his]
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 21 Sep 2017, 06:48

I am also one who noted this, but I didn't comment when it came up earlier in the week because it seemed like nobody else had issue :P

I too am disappointed to see MORE MTG content being released to the apparent detriment of their other content. I am entirely biased on this, but I don't play MTG so I continue to find that Magic being the only real thing that they consistently put out "on time" (meaning regularly) as opposed to things like Sidewalk Slam or QWERPline, etc, as well as having the PPR constantly take over the LRL slot vaguely infuriating. After all, if you look at the Podcasts that have been released in the last 4 months, there have been 19 MTG streams and only 5 of EVERYTHING else. I know some of it (like SWS) is because getting those particular people together can be hard, and AnoAni (which I also don't really watch but appreciate it existing) is more of a "seasonal roundup" but having an almost 5:1 ratio seems out of balance to me.

That said, it is obvious that the Loadingreadyrun crew like Magic more than most things (not to say they don't like other things a lot, but it is a very large overlap in the ven diagram), it is very popular among their broad audience, and likely very lucrative through their contacts with WotC and stream revenue means that if there ever are things that are going to be pushed aside (like CtS, which seems like it is mostly dead now) it is not going to be MtG content.

::shrug:: I do understand (mostly) why this is so. However, since my shits-given about MTG are pretty close to zero, all this means is that the amount of LRR content I watch drops by that much.
GlorySeer

Postby GlorySeer » 21 Sep 2017, 15:28

To be fair on the number of MtG podcasts being so prevalent, I think that's largely due to availability. It's something I've noted myself. But it makes sense. I don't think they have much trouble getting three or so people to talk about Magic when nearly everyone on the crew plays. And the new MtG podcast seems hosted by people who aren't active in as many other things if they are at all.

But every other podcast requires specific people. Qwerpline kind of demands that about five specific people are all free at the same time for a recording session, though I'd personally be happy to see more of other lrrsmin on it. sWs requires Graham and Adam, and for a while they also had to find a time where there was space to record. Hopefully that being an issue addressed with the new moonbase. I'd guess Speedrunoneword and Running Start have the same issues. Also worth noting is that I think moving played a big part on the last month's scheduling at least.

I also am sad every time LRL is slotted out for PPRs. LRL is hands down my favorite LoadingReadyRun content period, and it's something I'd legitimately trade pretty much all of LRR's regular content to see more regularly. But that's a tough spot for them. The off Saturdays seem to be filming days. So having LRL, PPR, LRL likely isn't feasible. The PPRs aren't only one of their biggest streams, their also something very unique that only LRR is really allowed to do. It's not something they can (nor should) really say no to. It's been rough a few times where other circumstances have created problems. Like we haven't had a LRL in so long because they basically ended up finishing moving just in time to do the PPR.

Of course, you likely realize all this. I just think it's fair to point out the reasons for that kind of stuff as well, like phlip did with my original post.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Sep 2017, 13:54

I am ambivalent about more MtG streams, though I'm not ENTIRELY sure what the change is, since LRR is bad at communication. What exactly is changing?

Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 24 Sep 2017, 14:43

it sounds like you folks mostly understand the schedule update, but just to make it explicit:
Before: CtS on Wednesday, AFK on Friday (with 1-2 mtg games/month
Now: CtS and AFK on Wednesday (leaning towards AFK) and Friday is mtg only

The main impact of this is a reduction in CtS. We seemed to be always struggling to find players and games to play. I suspect it is more of a reflection of the majority of the crew's gaming preferences rather then a strict lack of games. Also, One More on Tuesdays has taken over a portion of games that used to be on CtS (One More is not just PUBG, it will also be Overwatch or Destiny, or whatever online game the crew happens to be into at the moment).
The increase in paper MtG streams is a combination of a couple of factors: lots of the crew enjoy playing it, they are very popular streams and we were able to set up a sponsorship deal with Card Kingdom.

I'm sorry if this change ends up with less content that you like to watch or moves things to a less optimal time, but I hope that we have enough other stuff going on to keep you entertained, regardless. Obviously scheduling has been a bit wonky this last month or two because of the move, but things should be relatively stable now. (Until Desert Bus, anyway :shock: )
ryuhimora
First Video: Jer and Alex play "Is it Playable"

Postby ryuhimora » 25 Sep 2017, 08:22

I realize this may not be changeable at this point, but I would like to lodge a formal complaint about the lighting setup for the new Loading Ready Live set. I first attempted to watch the video on my laptop, which has a pretty bottom-of-the-line display and I had to stop only a few minutes in because the colored lighting created so much artifacting that it was almost painful to look at. I switched to my main TV with only marginal improvement, likely due to the amount of effects filters I cannot turn off. It turns out the only two screens I could stand watching the studio segments on were my expensive main monitor on my PC (not even the two side monitors) and my newest phone, which must have somewhat better color spaces than everything else. This is very surprising to me, personally, as I am usually the guy that rolls my eyes at other people for getting their screens professionally calibrated for color just to watch compressed Netflix content, but I feel like I might understand them slightly better now.

I would like to stress before I go on that the actual content of the video was fantastic, and once I did find a way to watch I had a lot of laughs. This complaint is solely about the lighting.

The main problem, however, is how cheap it made the set look. One of the people I live with watches an amount of bad stand-up comedy performed at sketchy establishments, and the lighting made the set look exactly like those shows. I was half expecting an amateur magician to show up on screen. The full brightness of the Moonbase Delta set is a lot easier to watch by comparison, and I feel like LRL lost something special by moving away from that to a more "traditional", but subjectively worse to me, set of studio lighting. Additionally, I noticed different artifacting elements present between the Twitch streamed version and the YouTube streamed version (most visible when looking at hair but still noticable elsewhere) that was not present with the Moonbase Delta set.

This is not enough to stop me watching LRL and I will continue to enjoy it however I can (this was one of the best episodes IMO), but I felt this was important enough to bring up because of how much it detracted from the experience.
GlorySeer

Postby GlorySeer » 12 Dec 2017, 17:41

I just wanted to jump on here to thank Paul for his work on the P(?)PR overlay for unstable. The card recognizer's interaction with augment was wonderful and honestly made it easier for me to get into the games they happened during. And the overlay change for the sub games was a nice added touch. For a set that demanded a lot of random things to happen, I think you did an amazing job.
ChroniclerC
First Video: Formal Complaint

Postby ChroniclerC » 10 Mar 2018, 13:11

So, hey. I need to get something off my chest. I'm not looking to assign blame, nor do I have a better answer, I just need to say it so that it's out of me rather than stewing on it, even if I'm just shouting into the void.

So last week, Adam is streaming Shadow of the Colossus. He's doing a certain boss fight and having a bit of trouble figuring out what to do, and Chat is being "helpful". I wander off for a bit. While I'm gone, he and the mods lay down a strict "No more spoilers, no more 'helping'" rule. I come back in. Adam has made progress! Great! I excitedly ask a "Hey, do you think this works?" kind of suggestive question, unaware of the no spoilers rule. The mods immediately respond by purging my chat, to which I respond with "Well fuck you, too" and leave.

To be clear: The mods were right and I was wrong. My being unaware of the no spoilers rule does not grant me some magical leeway over it. The mods made the most correct decision for the circumstances.
HOWEVER, this is the only time I have felt outright unwelcome in a LRR stream. That my excitement about the game on screen was greeted with hostility. And it really did sour my entire day. A week later and I'm still bitter over it.

Like I said, I don't have a better answer. There's no way to pin that kind of warning to the chat, and warning each person individually is both ineffective and unhelpful. I just need to say it somewhere instead of stewing on it at work all day again.
A.K.A. Likal in some places.
Time Zone: US Central. Currently GMT -5
phlip

Postby phlip » 12 Mar 2018, 03:52

I'm sorry about that. We definitely don't want the channel to feel unwelcoming, but I get that a contextless chat purge can feel a bit sharp.

I do kinda wish that Twitch had better support for the "purge" option... what's actually being done there from our end is to give someone a timeout for just 1 second... short enough that they likely won't actually feel the ban at all, they can still keep talking immediately, but so that we still get the effect where Twitch deletes all your chat messages when you get banned/timed out. When we do this, the intent isn't to punish or censure you, the primary thing we're trying to do is get the message out of the chat (in this case, before the streamer sees it and is potentially spoiled on a puzzle or whatnot). But as I understand it, it still shows up as "you have been timed out" at the user's end, there's nothing about it that looks any different to getting actually timed out, which can't feel good.

Ideally we'd communicate this better with people when we purge them, but when the channel goes into maximum "no spoilers, no backseating" mode like this, sometimes we can end up purging a lot of messages, anywhere on the range from actual spoilers and backseating to relatively innocent questions, and don't necessarily have the time to respond to each one... but I'll definitely bring this up with the other mods to see if there's anything we can do to soften the blow. I don't have any ideas offhand, but maybe we'll think of something.

[he/him/his]
Ahlir
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Ahlir » 12 Mar 2018, 15:57

So I really really hope this is the right place to ask. I did check around other places first but I also don't use twitter so I can't really be sure if this hasn't been answered a thousand times already. But what is the plan with putting the twitch replays on youtube? I know with all the streaming its super hard work etc but I can't watch the replays on Twitch. It just doesn't like my net connection or something. Again if this has been answered somewhere sorry and just point me in the right direction.
* Disclaimer: The person writing this has no idea what she is talking about.*

Image ImageImage
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 15 Mar 2018, 08:12

Replays are still being uploaded to YouTube, but we have recently fallen very behind for a number of reasons. We are currently working on a plan to make the YouTube uploads more reliable, hopefully we will have more news soon.
Ahlir
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Ahlir » 15 Mar 2018, 17:57

Awesome. That's good to know. I've found I can watch the VODs better on my phone. So while not optimal for watching stuff it'll feed my LRR addiction for now. :)
* Disclaimer: The person writing this has no idea what she is talking about.*

Image ImageImage
Rathkor
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Rathkor » 31 May 2018, 15:11

Not wanting to add on to any stress regarding the YouTube replays, but do the plans include older missing episodes? The first episode of a few older games are missing and my OCD won't let me start them if I can't see the first episode.

Beej's Shadowrun, Graham's Resident Evil, Soul Blazer, Metal wolf chaos. All fun runs from what my friends have said and I can't watch the first episode. Sunset overdrive is also missing an episode and I was living the first few episodes of that.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Jul 2018, 04:43

I hear Anubis has lower-rez copies of all of those, even if LRR has lost the originals somehow. Hopefully, they can be uploaded at some point.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”