General LRL Stream Feedback

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Re: General LRL Stream Feedback

Postby Prospero101 » 05 Jun 2014, 12:57

I can do that for you happily, Graham! Would you like me to list them here, or send you an email? :)
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 06 Jun 2014, 13:35

How about we gather the power of the community and have a living Google Doc that lists all the streams when they happen. So record Who was the main streamer, what was the game, what part they were on, and the date. (That would help the uploaders keep everything straight.)
This would include stuff just done and be able to capture surprise streams (I'm looking at you Alex!).
Then either delete the rows as they are uploaded to youtube, or add a link to the youtube video so it's always useful.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 06 Jun 2014, 17:14

I have some suggestions, I think it should be limited to people who have streams rather than anyone and anything that is related to LRR.

!Explain Graham
Graham Stark is a founding member of LoadingReadyRun who writes, directs acts and edits videos, hes the Quad threat. Graham streams four times a week. Checkpoint where he and Kathleen satirize game industry news, GPLP where he and Paul play bad games so you dont have to, House of Stark where he plays whatever game he is interested in but otherwise wouldnt have time for, and LRRMTG where he and James play Magic The Gathering Online. You may know him as the host of PATV's Strip Search.

!Explain Kathleen
Kathleen De Vere is a longtime member of LoadingReadyRun working as a Writer Actor and Editor. She streams twice a week on Checkpoint where she and Graham satirize game industry news, and Kathleen Saves the World where she grinds through JRPGs to keep us all save from horrible monsters.

!Explain Alex
Alex Steacy is a Comic artist, acts in LoadingReadyRun Videos and serves as primary producer of the Loading Time behind the scenes videos. Alex streams IDDQDERP primarily running through FPS games , he also comes around for the occasional lets nope playing survival horror games and scaring himself Bawwwky.

!Explain Paul
Paul Saunders is a founding member of LoadingReadyRun serving as a writer, and actor, as well as maintaining the website and forum. Paul is a writer/producer of Checkpoint the satirical game industry news show, he also plays bad games so you dont have to with Graham on GPLP, and occasionally solo streams games he enjoys on Games on my head. You may know him from the Things on my head youtube channel.

!Explain James
James is a writer and actor for LoadingReadyRun. He appears weekly on two shows, Video Games with video James, which features minecraft but also plays a variety of James' favorites, and on Thursdays he Keeps and Mulls with Graham on LRRMTG playing Magic The Gathering Online.

!Explain Beej
Brendan “Beej” Dery is a actor and audio technician for LoadingReadyRun. He streams Nintendo games that have been piling up on is "going to play" list for years on Beej's Backlog. You may know his as a member of the Synaptic Chaos Theatre improve troupe.

!Explain Jer
Jeremy Petter is a long time LoadingReadyRun writer and actor who is currently taking a step back from the weekly productions for his day job. Jer appears in a weekly show called book of passwords where Jer plays games from his past which hold a special place in his heart. Book of passwords has a rotating cohost who Jer shares his love of and knowledge of the game with. (that is poorly worded)

!Explain Cam
Cameran Lauder is a actor and audio technician for LoadingReadyRun. He streams strategy games on the hardest settings on a Swiftly Tilting Cameron as he enjoys the cathartic release caused by a game relentlessly punishing you for mistakes.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 06 Jun 2014, 19:52

Could use a bit of copy editing, but I think you've hit the right balance of informativeness and brevity.

As to the Jer parenthetical, how about:

"Every other week, Jer invites a guest co-host for The Book of Passwords, a stream centered around the games of their youth."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 Jun 2014, 22:04

On the topic of the bot, I think a "!Stream Good/Bad" command should be implemented. The !Game command has become firmly entrenched with a rather different meaning than currently intended, that I think an alternative is warranted for the original purpose.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 07 Jun 2014, 01:58

I personally don't really see the usefulness of all the explain commands, but wouldn't it be easier if it was consolidated into a !stream command which would just spit out info about the current stream and its host?
SohNata

Postby SohNata » 07 Jun 2014, 04:34

Master Gunner wrote:On the topic of the bot, I think a "!Stream Good/Bad" command should be implemented. The !Game command has become firmly entrenched with a rather different meaning than currently intended, that I think an alternative is warranted for the original purpose.

I think that's a tricky one really - if you change it to !stream good/bad, then there's a chance that if the 'bad' votes rack up - even if it's to do with the game - that's quite a harsh thing for the streamer to see.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 07 Jun 2014, 05:37

SohNata wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:On the topic of the bot, I think a "!Stream Good/Bad" command should be implemented. The !Game command has become firmly entrenched with a rather different meaning than currently intended, that I think an alternative is warranted for the original purpose.

I think that's a tricky one really - if you change it to !stream good/bad, then there's a chance that if the 'bad' votes rack up - even if it's to do with the game - that's quite a harsh thing for the streamer to see.

I think it'd be more adding than changing. Beyond: Two Souls, for example, could be !game bad and !stream good. That's my understanding of it anyway.
Last edited by Antitonic on 07 Jun 2014, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 07 Jun 2014, 10:57

What Antitonic said.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Jun 2014, 16:30

ch3m1kal wrote:I personally don't really see the usefulness of all the explain commands, but wouldn't it be easier if it was consolidated into a !stream command which would just spit out info about the current stream and its host?

I dont see a problem with that, the reason I like the "person name" is then when people who dont know who LRR is and say "who is this person" or "who is that guy that just came in" which happens frequently, the mods can blink it in.

I think someone was given access to LRRBOT programing that is going way overboard, it used to have a few commands but over the past 6-8 weeks or so it has just exploded into so many useless spammy commands a lot of which dont seem to have a reason to exist other than for people to spam them.

The explain commands were just terribly implemented, like "!explain Alex: no one can explain alex so dont try" what point is there to someone writing that into the program, its not even a bad joke its just a waste of someones time to create it and a waste for someone to use it.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
mariomario42
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby mariomario42 » 07 Jun 2014, 17:10

Lord Hosk wrote:
I think someone was given access to LRRBOT programing that is going way overboard, it used to have a few commands but over the past 6-8 weeks or so it has just exploded into so many useless spammy commands a lot of which dont seem to have a reason to exist other than for people to spam them.

On one hand, it's just something to pass time between streams or waiting for one to start, but on the other, there's a ton now that are just LRRBot saying something, not links or counters, which isn't really beneficial. The person could type that out themselves.

How I see it at least.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 07 Jun 2014, 18:40

Yeah, I think we could do without Sentience, etc
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Jun 2014, 20:56

Lord Hosk wrote:
ch3m1kal wrote:I personally don't really see the usefulness of all the explain commands, but wouldn't it be easier if it was consolidated into a !stream command which would just spit out info about the current stream and its host?
I dont see a problem with that, the reason I like the "person name" is then when people who dont know who LRR is and say "who is this person" or "who is that guy that just came in" which happens frequently, the mods can blink it in.

The explain commands were just terribly implemented, like "!explain Alex: no one can explain alex so dont try" what point is there to someone writing that into the program, its not even a bad joke its just a waste of someones time to create it and a waste for someone to use it.
That's... partially me. Half of the "useless" commands were me putting something in there just to have it and would go back later and make it useful, and I just haven't gotten around to it yet. The other half, I don't know where they came from.

Regarding getting rid of some, I could see us removing !explain dack, !explain time, !sentience, !scrub, !riot, !lrrbot, !honeywell, !glory, !fish, and !codefall.

!explain alex, !explain honeywell, and !explain paul could stand updating.

I still want to keep !salami, though. It amuses me too much. :D

Regarding a !stream command, I've suggested that before, and have been told it would take too much code to figure out who's streaming now from the calendar.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 07 Jun 2014, 21:09

I was thinking that it would be identical to !Game, just as a separate category. All of the streams are, on a whole, good - but some games make for good streams, and others for not so good streams, which is what this would track. Witcher 2, for example, is a fine game, but didn't necessarily make for a good stream.
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 07 Jun 2014, 21:39

How about a generic !rateup !ratedown and !ratereset (the last maybe mod only?), that is just a running rating to be used for whatever the streamer wants?
SohNata

Postby SohNata » 08 Jun 2014, 03:52

Antitonic wrote:
SohNata wrote:

I think it'd be more adding than changing. Beyond: Two Souls, for example, could be !game bad and !stream good. That's my understanding of it anyway.

That's my understanding of it too - however, even if that's the understanding, I can see the person on the streaming side taking it personally, though. Even if it's to mostly do with the game, the message the person is still essentially getting is 'I am not enjoying the entertainment you are putting on for me'.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 08 Jun 2014, 06:19

Lord Hosk wrote:The explain commands were just terribly implemented, like "!explain Alex: no one can explain alex so dont try" what point is there to someone writing that into the program, its not even a bad joke its just a waste of someones time to create it and a waste for someone to use it.

The "!explain Alex" one in particular I added mostly to test that the screen to edit the commands was working... I was expecting it would be replaced at some point.

And I'm just going to put this out there... if any mod thinks one of the joke responses is getting old, isn't funny any more, or is getting spammed too much, feel free to just kill it. I don't think that the joke responses should necessarily stick around forever - deleting the old ones to make room for the new ones and keeping things in rotation makes things both funnier and saner.

And just to reiterate in case it's been missed... any of the chat mods, including LRR themselves, is able to edit the static command responses and !explain responses on the lrrbot website, you don't need to go via d3fr0st or me.

Now that !explain is mod-only, it should probably only have real responses in there, no jokes. In fact, I'm going in there right now and remove the jokes.

That feature that had !explain pull text from the Wiki as a fallback was probably a mistake... even when they were accurate or up-to-date, they were written for the wrong audience... the !explain responses should be written to answer a new viewer who comes in to the stream chat and asks "who/what is X?", so the answers should be tailored more around LRL. I've removed the wiki fallback. I'll leave the !wiki command in there for now, but I doubt it will see much use.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Nex Vesica
First Video: Unskippable- Lost Planet

Postby Nex Vesica » 08 Jun 2014, 19:29

Regarding a stream good/stream bad: I think it's a little too vague to be useful to the streamer. If someone does rate the stream bad, they don't know why, so even if they streamed something else, they could make the same mistake. I could also see there being some confusion about voting, like someone could rate an MtG stream bad because they don't play. I really can't imagine a scenario where there would even be more then a small handful of stream bad votes, and it'd probably just cause a big back and forth between the rest of the chat and the people that voted negatively. It ultimately is something that just needs to be expressed in more detail then just a vote, so the forums or a private message or whatever else would be a good place for that.

Regarding the joke commands. It does seem like there have been a ton lately. I generally don't mind them when they're on the shorter side, or independent commands. A big problem with the !explain command was all the explanations were very lengthy, and it would ultimately prompt a bunch of other people to try different !explains, flooding the chat with either text, or just inane !explain commands. Maybe just have them link to a relevant wiki, so if someone new pops in and asks what the stream is about/who the people are, someone could just do the relevant !explain and the newcomer could jump over to that page.
I wrote a story! It can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01521SQ70/ref ... le_ext_tmb

I also wrote another one! It can be found at http://amzn.to/1pYDokF
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Jun 2014, 19:58

Nex Vesica wrote:Maybe just have them link to a relevant wiki, so if someone new pops in and asks what the stream is about/who the people are, someone could just do the relevant !explain and the newcomer could jump over to that page.
Yeah, that... didn't work when we tried it, because the Wiki is geared to a different audience.

Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 08 Jun 2014, 20:18

AdmiralMemo wrote:
Nex Vesica wrote:Maybe just have them link to a relevant wiki, so if someone new pops in and asks what the stream is about/who the people are, someone could just do the relevant !explain and the newcomer could jump over to that page.
Yeah, that... didn't work when we tried it, because the Wiki is geared to a different audience.

Yeah, the Wiki is written with the assumption the reader wants to know everything. Whereas your typical LRL viewer doesn't care that Graham wrote a comic at one point.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 08 Jun 2014, 21:27

Agreed; we need stream-relevant mini-bios for the "!explain <streamer>"... :/
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Jun 2014, 00:28

That's one of the things I've been working on, but it's taking time... I'll slowly get them all.

qrpth
First Video: iPotato

Postby qrpth » 09 Jun 2014, 15:00

I went mad with power and deleted !anarchy/!democracy, !casual/!scrub/!scurb, !codefall, !fish, !glory, !honeywell, !lrrbot, !ping, !pray, !riot, !salami, !sentience and !space

Code: Select all

< qrpth> !explain Desert Bus 2
<@​lrrbot> James Turner
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 09 Jun 2014, 15:33

Nooo, not the salami! :(
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Jun 2014, 20:45

I'm sad for the death of !salami... It made LRRbot sound a little schizo...

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”