General LRL Stream Feedback

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Re: General LRL Stream Feedback

Postby Lurkon » 16 Jan 2014, 06:55

My only complaint is school is preventing me from keeping up with GPLP and Kathleen Saves the World, which are the streams I want to watch the most. I haven't seen any but the first episodes of each. :(
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Postby Clypheous » 16 Jan 2014, 10:43

You know what would be super helpful? A link to LRR Live from the home page. Right below the podcasts or something. Maybe just always have a link to the schedule and stuff. It's not at all apparent to people who arrive at the site now (you know, new people?) that you do all this live streaming and if that's something they want to see, I'm not sure how they would figure out you do it.

Just a thought.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 16 Jan 2014, 13:13

Clypheous wrote:You know what would be super helpful? A link to LRR Live from the home page. Right below the podcasts or something. Maybe just always have a link to the schedule and stuff. It's not at all apparent to people who arrive at the site now (you know, new people?) that you do all this live streaming and if that's something they want to see, I'm not sure how they would figure out you do it.

Just a thought.

There is a link to the LRL schedule on the home page, right between the latest videos and the blog. And when we are actively streaming, a link appears at the top of the sidebar. Are you saying that you would like a link in the sidebar all the time, or is the link of the home page just not noticeable enough?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 16 Jan 2014, 13:40

Looking at it, one would think it's noticeable enough. On the other hand, I had to go look to see if it was even there...so I guess it's not? I dunno, maybe try surrounding it in a light-blue field?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Clypheous

Postby Clypheous » 16 Jan 2014, 14:16

Even after being TOLD that there was a link on the front page to the LRL schedule, it still took me another 60 seconds to actually find it. My suggestion would be to have the link on the side next to the podcasts all the time and just have it big and shiny when streaming is going on. I'm not sure exactly how that would look, but what's there right now for some reason just isn't noticeable, at least not to me. I think it just seems like too much of a border decoration to the video maybe?

But that could be that I'm just so used to having my eyes track from the video down to the first bit of blog post and skip everything in the middle.

I'm not trying to be difficult and I certainly claim no expertise in web design, but I come to your page 3 times a day, most days, and had to be explicitly told that it was there and then still had a bit of trouble finding it. Take that for what it's worth.

P.S. Streams I've got to see so far are awesome, everyone should watch them, so we need to find a way to make sure that happens!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 16 Jan 2014, 14:54

It's very noticeable when the stream is actually live. But we'll look into it.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 16 Jan 2014, 15:32

No offense to everyone else, but my two fave streams are aSTC, and IDDQDERP - moreso for the hosts than the games/game genres (though I do like each of those, too).

Cam for his supreme nonchalance, even as he's frustrated at every turn by misfortune, and Alex for the opposite - his incredulity at all manner of things he encounters, both good and bad.

They are the yin and yang to my entertainment (everyone else is just gravy :mrgreen: )
Gamercow
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby Gamercow » 17 Jan 2014, 07:42

Would there be any interest/value in a summary for the various streams? For example, "In this episode Kathleen got to Shinjuku, leveled up her main character to level 15, added Demon A and Demon B to her collection, and died 3 times." "Cam completed mission Impossible God, with 2 deaths, and 2 promotions to Sargeant. 3 satellites were launched." "Graham got through Chapter 2 with a B ranking, dying 6 times." "James built a giant beer can that constantly pours out a waterfall"

I'm torn between thinking that these summaries would be useful in giving someone new to a stream an understanding of what has happened before, making it more likely that they will jump into the middle of a game with a host, and it being a hinderance to view counts for the older videos. Additionally, keeping up would be difficult at best, and would likely require several people.

Opinions?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Jan 2014, 08:06

I think a summary would be good, and I'm more along the lines of your first line of thinking, where it would be useful for getting new viewers jumping into the middle. Really, the hosts usually give a rough breakdown of what's happened so far at the beginning of the stream anyway, so the appeal of the older videos is not "What's happened, in general?" but more of "Let's watch this to see the specifics and possibly catch funny bits that weren't previously mentioned."
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Clypheous

Postby Clypheous » 17 Jan 2014, 10:04

Graham wrote:It's very noticeable when the stream is actually live. But we'll look into it.

Oh I completely agree, when the stream is live, there's absolutely not a problem.
Last edited by Clypheous on 17 Jan 2014, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 Jan 2014, 11:20

But when the stream is live no one sees the change to the website because we are all riveted to the stream. ;)
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 17 Jan 2014, 11:55

It would be nice if I could access the schedule on the mobile version of the site, sometimes I want to look up when the next stream is one when I'm out and about.

Of course, I also just realized I subscribed to the google calendar, so I could just look there, but still.
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 17 Jan 2014, 12:04

When on mobile, you can go to the main site too, which will have that information. But yea. It's be useful to have some way to get to the schedule via the mobile site as well.
empath

Postby empath » 17 Jan 2014, 21:13

Graham....you will pay for that. ;)
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 17 Jan 2014, 22:03

Haha oh man Prayer Warrior. I seriously don't think I've ever seen Cam, Alex or Graham qwop out so completely before. And with good reason. If it wasn't all kinds of fundamentalist dynamite I'm sure it would replace Desert Bus at the Desert Bus event because this is an entirely new level of bad game. Not that it's boring, more existentially dreadful and crazier than a bad acid trip - I don't like using tired drug trip metaphors, but in this case it's pretty much literal.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 17 Jan 2014, 22:11

Indeed. For anyone who missed IDDQDerp today... just... just go and watch it. It's worth your while, I promise.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 17 Jan 2014, 22:38

I hate to say it, but I really liked the Stand Against The Devil music. Anyone know what genre it is? I was kinda young in the 90s, so I missed good electronic music.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
empath

Postby empath » 18 Jan 2014, 07:22

Oh yeah; that's the ONE saving grace of that..."game" - the soundtrack was actually pretty good. :?

But the rest? It's almost a cliche, but Alex nailed it when he said "If you set out to make a bad game deliberately, you couldn't make this."

Poorly mapped-out levels that trip your avatar in trying to move into a room. Objects (and mobs) clipping through the floor. A 'blue hell' beyond the edge of the mapped out level...and then ANOTHER layer BELOW THAT. Barely any animations (including NO ATTACK ANIMATION for your avatar). Sound effects from presumably a public domain archive that are so vague, I never figured out what sound was for what action. Heck, the fact that GRAHAM HAD TO TAKE OVER SOME OF THE CONTROLS to help Alex because they were so poorly mapped!

...and then the Fundie theme... :shock:

Seriously; a blatant anti-theist could not make religion look worse by TRYING to smear it than this did!

At first, I wanted to get a copy of this myself just for the same of having it, but as time wore on (and our streamers' psyches wore thin), I went from gales of laughter to more and more sheer revulsion at the quintessential WRONGNESS of its game design, and eventually loathing of Prayer Warriors developers and PUBLISHERS for the simple fact that plenty of decent game designers struggle and suffer to even get what they make known to the public, and then THIS sorry excuse of surreal BADNESS that makes a half-assed Quake level look good by comparison, THIS is making money...probably only recently due to the AGDQ playthrough publicizing it (and now the LRL stream) and then people 'buying it ironically'. *sad sigh*

But again, I will admit that the soundtrack is quite surprisingly decent, and if I could be sure that it doesn't contain that woman/young boy spouting christian-rap dogma (I'm not sure if that separate game audio, or part of the music) I might well pick up the soundtrack. :lol:

And yeah, after THAT, wandering around in a bleak, hostile apocalyptic wasteland was a treat! Image

tl;dr?

My overall reaction to the 'game' "Prayer Warriors" can be summed up as:

Pardonfuck?
Last edited by empath on 18 Jan 2014, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 18 Jan 2014, 07:34

I think watching this should be some sort of rite of passage for all game designers/LRR fans. Just to experience the shear WAH?!
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 18 Jan 2014, 07:46

So... I hate to be "That Guy™", but is there any chance for some more youtube uploadz? The twitch app doesn't support archived videos.
Sorry.
Thank you.
Goodbye.
DPLP
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby DPLP » 18 Jan 2014, 09:59

Hey, some general feedback on your new initiative. I love it! It must take a lot of work (and expertise) to make this happen, and thank you for putting in the effort!

I've liked every show so far. Single-player games are enhanced greatly by having someone else around, and even when you have no cohost, it's still great to watch the reactions of someone playing something you've played too. When they're playing something you haven't, you get to match your reactions up with theirs and learn about the game too (btw, you might want to pop ads for the games somewhere on Twitch or your site. Might add a few sales ;) )

I wanted to mention that the reaction of some of the posters about finding the link is accurate in my case, and add a bit to it. I can find the link on the home page, but it's not also on the main video page? (http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/archive). It's very natural to hit the Videos link as soon as you hit the site (that's what I do anyways) and as this is a really a whole new venue for LRR stuff, it probably deserves a whole subnav of its own, appropriately sectioned and bannered so it's really clear about what is offered. Maybe added to the Our Shows nav menu?

I'd also like to mention finding past shows. Today I found the archives for shows on Twitch (and by today, I mean a solid week after I first saw the twitch page, so take that into consideration please) but I still don't see how to view the whole archive.

If I hit a show I like, one of the things I'm going to want to do is start from the beginning to see all of the awesome (I include derpage as awesome. Prayer Warrior's is legendary). I don't see how I can go to the Twitch page and select the archive for any show I've become engaged in, and either start from the beginning or pick up where I left off. That's definitely a Twitch thing, but I wanted to mention it is definitely a personal use case of mine.

Lastly, I wanted to ask in general if anyone else has a lot of stream interruptions from Twitch. I tested against Youtube and other indie video sites (sfdebris's blip streams, etc.) and they are fine, but I am getting a solid 50% hold time while watching Prayer Warrior right now - I spend half the time waiting for the stream to fill its buffer again. I have adjusted the Flash cache to 1 meg, but it's not helping at all.

Again, thanks for making this great effort, and I'm enjoying it very much!
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 18 Jan 2014, 10:52

As a note, the copyright on Prayer Warriors is listed at 1997-2014, so it could be a late 90s game, which would lower the amount of shame they should get for ripping off Quake 1. Now, the level design, key controls, attack animations, and everything else? ALL THE SHAME.

Great music though, which also point at the 90s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Vr3DZSpfg

Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 18 Jan 2014, 11:05

Isn't "ALL THE SHAME" the DLC?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jan 2014, 15:57

DPLP wrote:I'd also like to mention finding past shows. Today I found the archives for shows on Twitch (and by today, I mean a solid week after I first saw the twitch page, so take that into consideration please) but I still don't see how to view the whole archive.

If I hit a show I like, one of the things I'm going to want to do is start from the beginning to see all of the awesome (I include derpage as awesome. Prayer Warrior's is legendary). I don't see how I can go to the Twitch page and select the archive for any show I've become engaged in, and either start from the beginning or pick up where I left off. That's definitely a Twitch thing, but I wanted to mention it is definitely a personal use case of mine.
You go to the profile and click Past Broadcasts, and then click "Show More" at the bottom to keep going back in time.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Conoros
First Video: How to speak like a pirate

Postby Conoros » 18 Jan 2014, 21:38

Personally, I've been able to find the schedule ok (and the globe linking to local time is awesome) but I know where to look for it too. Maybe add a 'live' section to the ribbon menu at the top, links to the schedule and then maybe incorporate the summary and links to twitch/youtube for the archive?

DPLP wrote:Lastly, I wanted to ask in general if anyone else has a lot of stream interruptions from Twitch. I tested against Youtube and other indie video sites (sfdebris's blip streams, etc.) and they are fine, but I am getting a solid 50% hold time while watching Prayer Warrior right now - I spend half the time waiting for the stream to fill its buffer again. I have adjusted the Flash cache to 1 meg, but it's not helping at all.

I haven't had any serious issues with twitch streaming live on my own connection, but I tried out the archive of Grahams Cruel and Unusual Treatment of Alex and it was pretty stuttery
Conor / Magellus

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”