Super Moderator

Re: General LRL Stream Feedback

Postby Graham » 24 Jan 2014, 21:51

Sssssssh
Conoros
First Video: How to speak like a pirate

Postby Conoros » 24 Jan 2014, 22:56

Remember to update the stream overlay to show the LRRLive youtube account too :P
Conor / Magellus
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 25 Jan 2014, 00:39

Yes. Also that.
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 25 Jan 2014, 14:22

Did anyone ever find a way to watch past broadcasts on a mobile device? I feel like Iv'e bugged the crew enough about YouTube but I've pretty much burnt through everything available outside of twitch.
I would PAY for something like that, so if any of the LRR fans find something, I'd love to know about it.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 26 Jan 2014, 00:18

Boofinka wrote:Did anyone ever find a way to watch past broadcasts on a mobile device? I feel like Iv'e bugged the crew enough about YouTube but I've pretty much burnt through everything available outside of twitch.
I would PAY for something like that, so if any of the LRR fans find something, I'd love to know about it.

http://www.youtube.com/loadingreadylive. Everything done as part of YRR of LRR is/will be there. For the older MTGO stuff (and the few other vid streams they've done), I don't think there are any plans to migrate the info at this time.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 Jan 2014, 01:02

Yeah Boofinka, we've had that channel up since day 2, thanks to pestering by viewers like you!
#PBS
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 26 Jan 2014, 05:40

I really don't mean to pester, Graham. I know you guys barely have time to breath and can't be expected to keep the channel updated. Tha't why I'm asking if anyone else found a workaround.
Sorry to come off ungrateful; I'm not.
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 26 Jan 2014, 11:25

headband wrote:I've been having issues with the chat lately. I can type in the box, but it won't let me enter into the chat. None of the option buttons work and hitting enter just does what hitting enter normally does in a word doc. Anyone have any help?

You can also use an IRC client to log into the chat. I use X-Chat 2 (aka Y-Chat) which is the free build of X-Chat for windows. I've also used KVIRC which is pretty good, and some old fashioned people still swear by mIRC, and command line people love irssi.

http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1302780-twitch-irc

----------------------------------------------

On another note, am I the only one finding Twitch playback almost unusable? I was trying to watch Checkpoint+ as it wasn't on YouTube yet (Along with a lot of other stuff; I know you guys are having trouble with them), but it kept freezing every couple of minutes for up to a minute, making it a somewhat disjointed experience.

I know you are having trouble with Youtube, is there any chance you could look into another host, like Daily Motion or Vimo? Then I'd miss out on the ability to watch at 1.5x speed, but at least............I............wouldn't........have......to......watch.......like this.
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 26 Jan 2014, 12:25

I personally haven't had any problems with Twitch playback... well one or two, but nothing recurrent or major. Takes a few second's pause every half an hour (and I mean exactly half an hour, on the half-hour), but I just consider that character.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jan 2014, 17:38

WAT...
You can log into the chat via IRC? HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS?
This is now awesome.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Canageek

Postby Canageek » 26 Jan 2014, 19:47

AdmiralMemo wrote:WAT...
You can log into the chat via IRC? HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS?
This is now awesome.

My work here is done. Walks out, cape swirling behind him

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 27 Jan 2014, 03:51

Would a stream of someone playing different Demos of games be interesting?
qrpth
First Video: iPotato

Postby qrpth » 27 Jan 2014, 08:21

Encoding artifacts make the IDDQDerp almost unwatchable. I have seen the blocky mess appear on other streams as well.
Moving game camera on the left, stationary on the right.

Code: Select all

< qrpth> !explain Desert Bus 2
<@​lrrbot> James Turner
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 28 Jan 2014, 01:50

qrpth wrote:Encoding artifacts make the IDDQDerp almost unwatchable.
I feel like this might be an exaggeration, but I appreciate the issue. I'm going to look into it :)

IDDQDerp is sending in 1080, which most of our streams aren't, so we have less bitrate to work with.

I'm curious...
If it were a binary choice: As a viewer, would you prefer higher res, or better bitrate?
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 28 Jan 2014, 02:04

On a livestream, I figure more bits is always better than more pees. You lose so much of the immediacy if there's any noticeable lag. Speaking of which, I understand it's a problem on Twitch's end, but do you know how they're doing with that delay that's extremely noticeable when you try to interact with the chat?
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 28 Jan 2014, 03:21

The lag is a massive problem, and it's entirely on Twitch to fix.

We were told it was MUCH better today than it has been, which pleases me greatly. Fingers crossed it gets even better.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 28 Jan 2014, 03:56

I know you guys are super busy and Youtube probably isn't making it easier, but are you going to keep cross-posting the streams to Youtube? Because it's been a week since the last upload. I understand if it's just to much work.

The only place I can watch the Twitch archive vods without massive buffer times is at uni, where I feel I should be doing other things :P
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Conoros
First Video: How to speak like a pirate

Postby Conoros » 28 Jan 2014, 05:35

The problems seem to be especially concentrated on Thursdays at 2-3amish GMT. My work schedule let me watch pretty much every stream for the last two weeks, and I have it stuck in my mind that Grahams' streams had the most issues relating to the twitch streaming

Edit: Bitrate, a stable but lower quality stream is far easier to follow than a high quality stream that buffers frequently
Last edited by Conoros on 28 Jan 2014, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
Conor / Magellus
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 28 Jan 2014, 06:33

I dont know why but the Twitch lag seems to be lower on Chrome than on Firefox or Internet Explorer.

I opened all three up and set them to the stream then reloaded/refreshed them in rapid succession. I tried refreshing/reloading a couple times.

The lag on Chrome seemed about 5/6 seconds from when I would read something in chat to when Paul and Graham would read/comment on it. FF was running about 10 seconds behind Chrome, and IE was running about 18-20 seconds.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
qrpth
First Video: iPotato

Postby qrpth » 28 Jan 2014, 06:44

Graham wrote:I'm curious...
If it were a binary choice: As a viewer, would you prefer higher res, or better bitrate?

Better bitrate.

Code: Select all

< qrpth> !explain Desert Bus 2
<@​lrrbot> James Turner
Gamercow
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby Gamercow » 28 Jan 2014, 07:52

I hope this is where this should go. I've gone through all the Twitch archives, and made a Google Doc that has all the meaningful videos listed by date of airing(may be off by a day due to Twitch's stupid "x days ago" time stamp), who's show it is, what they are playing, and a link to the video. This way, if you want to catch up on someone's show, you can go to that doc, and not need to sift through Twitch's archive that is of questionable usefulness. You can also filter by game, stream, or date. Here it is:

http://bit.ly/1iGQUTS

Features I'd like to include in the future are video length, and "Starting Time" which would be what timestamp in the video does the stream actually start, minimizing the splash screens.(though they are very nicely designed) I've set it to full edit, so if you want to update it feel free, but please don't destroy it. :D

ETA: I've ignored all the videos under 1 minute, and all the videos that have no meaningful information or gameplay, e.g. "Is this thing on" videos
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 28 Jan 2014, 13:41

RedNightmare wrote:I know you guys are super busy and Youtube probably isn't making it easier, but are you going to keep cross-posting the streams to Youtube? Because it's been a week since the last upload. I understand if it's just to much work.

The only place I can watch the Twitch archive vods without massive buffer times is at uni, where I feel I should be doing other things :P

Seconding this. I have a lot of problems with Twitch stuttering and buffering on recordings, much more the live streams, so it is very hard to keep caught up with just twitch vids. There have been a couple times when the next episode has been live before the last one was on YouTube.

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 28 Jan 2014, 19:40

Sorry for the lack of updates on the YouTube channel. It's tough until I train up someone else on it.
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 28 Jan 2014, 21:33

Going to jump on the "hope the youtube is updated soon" bandwagon, however I do need to say that you guys are doing a fantastic job putting all this and the normal videos together, so I shouldn't complain (but clearly I am).
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 28 Jan 2014, 21:36

Graham wrote:Sorry for the lack of updates on the YouTube channel. It's tough until I train up someone else on it.

For $50 a month and three pudding pops Ill do it ;)
Last edited by Lord Hosk on 29 Jan 2014, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”