General LRL Stream Feedback

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Re: General LRL Stream Feedback

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 03 Apr 2016, 14:04

Regarding the comments G&A were making in the latest Watch & Play (which was excellent btw) about how YouTube is able to remove a song from the background of a video without removing voice... the principle behind the technology is not actually that complicated, but it is interesting.

Essentially, a sound is a collection of waveforms added together. If you have music and voice altogether, the resulting sound is a combined waveform of music + voice. To remove the music leaving only the voice, all you have to do is add another waveform that is the exact opposite to the waveform associated with the music, cancelling it out. Generating such a waveform is fairly easy to do (if you listen to a song on soundcloud, it will show you an approximate trace waveform of the music as you listen to it). This is the principle on which noise-cancelling headphones work- they essentially 'listen' to all incoming sound (below a certain frequency), and play an exact opposite signal to 'cancel out' the waveform of the incoming noise. They don't do this for high frequency (high pitched) noises for technological reasons, but I'm starting to wander off topic.

The difficult part in this in the context of a YT video is twofold: assuming you've correctly identified the song and so the waveform being used, you first have to ensure you match the volume of your 'subtracting' signal to the original signal, otherwise you'll still get some sound left over. This is tricky, but fairly straightforward with some optimisation algorithms. The REALLY hard part is ensuring that you feed the cancelling signal in so that the waveform 'lines up' properly with the waveform of the original music in order to ensure it cancels out properly. If you're even a fraction of a second out in this, then the cancelling effect won't work properly. Not sure how YT handle this from a technological standpoint, but then again I don't know how they do it in noise-cancelling headphones either and they seem to work fine.

I just thought people might find it interesting.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 16 May 2016, 10:07

Just an FYI, but while you put the new show info on the live page, the twitch page itself still seems to show the old stuff.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 16 May 2016, 10:19

SAJewers wrote:Just an FYI, but while you put the new show info on the live page, the twitch page itself still seems to show the old stuff.

Yup, we will be working on updating the twitch page info in the next few days
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 17 May 2016, 00:06

I for one am looking forward to this new Streaming schedule, I used to only watch a few, but nearly all the new shows interest me, so I am definitely going to be watch more now.
Necabo
First Video: an lrr vid on the escapist spring 2011

Postby Necabo » 17 May 2016, 05:42

I am excited to see more variety in the shows than just; x plays y games.
Loved TTSF last night, could use some polish in the execution and camera setup but it looked like a LRR thing while being comepletely different thab what you did before. And that is awesome and the reason I love you guys.

Schedule looks a bit empty compared to before, but quality over quantity all the way. Especially since I have to watch most of the shows as VOD anyway. (Less shows = less youtube delay!?)
ImageImage

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 21 May 2016, 20:15

I'm not sure if they're taking suggestions for it or not, but one game I'd love to see on Talking Simulator is Undertale. I know Alex played it and enjoyed it. Not sure if Cam did or not. But I think it's a really good example of player-driven narrative in video games.
Turtle_Stew
First Video: Doctors Hate Her

Postby Turtle_Stew » 25 May 2016, 11:20

Yesterday I gave feedback on stream concerning StreamVods but had no time to further explain what I meant, so I'll post it here:

With the focus on more topical stream shows, wouldn't it make sense if the LRRLive youtube channel was more visible? Maybe announce new uploads of AFK-Stream or LRLive similar to TTC, crapshots, etc.? Or just a more visible link to the show archives on the homepage might be enough. I didn't even know that a separate youtube channel for Vods exists, until Graham said so yesterday on stream. I thought you could only watch VODS via twitch. It would be a shame If someone visiting the homepage for the first time wouldn't realize how much content you create via stream.

edit: I was browsing the homepage to figure out why It was insinuative for me to find the stream archives, and realized, that in the live timetable I can't click on the names of the show even though (click the names for more info)is written below the schedule. Is that only a problem on my side?
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 25 May 2016, 12:31

Turtle_Stew wrote:I was browsing the homepage to figure out why It was insinuative for me to find the stream archives, and realized, that in the live timetable I can't click on the names of the show even though (click the names for more info)is written below the schedule. Is that only a problem on my side?

Hmm, the names are supposed to link to that show's description further down the page. I see that isn't happening, though. Thanks for the heads up!

On the subject of the stream replay channel, thanks for the feedback. We may not start announcing new uploads on twitter (we don't want to spam people too much), but I definitely like the idea of making it more prominent on the site. We used to have a rotating info carousel with the YouTube archive link plus facebook, Twitter, etc on the stream overlay, but the new layout doesn't have that yet. Incidentally, on the LIVE page there are links below each show's description to that show's YouTube archive (the new shows don't have YouTube archives yet, but there will be links once they do)
Fangle
First Video: Unskippable, too long ago to remember

Postby Fangle » 25 May 2016, 20:41

In the past few days the LRL YouTube channel started getting uploads of new streams interspersed with the usual uploads from two months ago. If this is the start of a push to get the channel more up-to-date then in theory that's great, but in practice having videos from two different periods appear at the same time is massively confusing.
For example, two videos from the same show were added about a minute apart, the first is from a broadcast on 21st May and the second is from a broadcast on 25th March, and on top of that the first video is episode seven of a game that currently has no other episodes uploaded to the channel.

For those of us who are only able to watch streams through the YouTube replays, if things continue this way it's going to be an absolute nightmare trying to watch videos in anything approaching chronological order.
I don't know if other people feel the same, but personally I would vote for uploads continuing in approximately broadcast order and taking a bit longer to catch up to date, rather than just uploading new stuff right now and making a confusing mess until all the older videos are out.

Oh, and on a more specific note, the video for Adam's Gamehaüs — Rise of the Tomb Raider Ep4 seems to be missing a big chunk of gameplay during the commercial break at 1:19:00. I left a comment on the video first, but I get the feeling nobody really looks at those.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 May 2016, 12:46

They mentioned on-stream that they were doing this in this way to generate interest in the new shows. They want to stay current with the new shows while working on the backlog. Whether you consider that a good idea is up to you.

Regarding chronological order, isn't that what the playlists are for?

Regarding getting the crew's attention for a thing, this forum is good, but the best is Twitter.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Fangle

Postby Fangle » 27 May 2016, 21:44

Welp, this is the feedback thread, so I fed back. Whether anyone cares what I think is largely beside the point. I'll just have to adjust to whatever new and exciting way they decide to upload videos from now on. If it genuinely does bring attention to the new shows, then I suppose it's all worth it.

The playlists could help, but more often than not they're just in upload order rather than broadcast order.

I'm not on the Twitters, so yeah.

Oh well, I'll just do my best to keep track of which videos to watch in which order over the next few months, and then eventually cycle back around to now again when I've caught up to the new shows. Maybe I can devise an elaborate system of post-it notes.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 28 May 2016, 09:59

You certainly have valid concerns. It's just that I don't know if they'll be heard here. Also, for the actual YouTube technical stuff and editing, you'd want to contact Ian. He maintains that.

Regarding Twitter, I know many in the community signed up for Twitter for the sole purpose of communicating with the LRR crew. Not saying you have to, but it's something to consider.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 28 May 2016, 11:46

@Fangle: thanks for the feedback. Sorry about the video upload order issues. We had some problems with the recordings in April which has delayed the upload of those replays, but hopefully we will bring it more up to date in the near future.
mikeyjh
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby mikeyjh » 29 May 2016, 07:10

hope this is the right place for this.........

RE:LRL episode 2 The wrath of james.

At approximately 4:50 into the show it became the most epic LRL you have done or will ever do.

I should be upset that you are poking fun at us but I can't. I'm just super excited we got mentioned.
Laurreth
First Video: That was so long ago

That Behringer Noise

Postby Laurreth » 29 May 2016, 10:23

Just watching some replays from March where you're complaining about electronic noise from the microphone input on some Behringer device, I can't help but notice that I have observed the same thing on my Behringer device (a cheap and cheerful UCA-222 which is otherwise perfect if you just need a stereo output). Long story short, I'm using a Komplete Audio 6 for input and some outputs now. Completely problem- and noise-free.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 29 May 2016, 16:29

LoadingReadyLive is quickly becoming my favorite stream over AFK and CtS. I'm not sure if it's just because it's fresh, the variety, or what. But I find it to be a ton of fun.
abyssalCompiler
First Video: Doctors Hate Her

Postby abyssalCompiler » 30 May 2016, 16:40

Kapol wrote:LoadingReadyLive is quickly becoming my favorite stream over AFK and CtS. I'm not sure if it's just because it's fresh, the variety, or what. But I find it to be a ton of fun.

Agreed. I love the variety, and especially the "game show" segments because they are absolutely hilarious to me.
~Shameless plug for my art/creative works blog~
http://abyssalcompiler.tumblr.com/

My twitter: https://twitter.com/abyssalcompiler
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 05 Jun 2016, 05:55

Quick question: Is there going to be a forum for people to talk about Talking Simulator? Or do Cam and Alex prefer to have all the feedback be elsewhere?
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 05 Jun 2016, 19:07

Trisha Lynn wrote:Quick question: Is there going to be a forum for people to talk about Talking Simulator? Or do Cam and Alex prefer to have all the feedback be elsewhere?

I assume the new shows will have their own threads in here eventually... and that includes fu¨t.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Kronopticon
First Video: Phailhaus

Postby Kronopticon » 06 Jun 2016, 07:20

Seeing as there isn't a thread just yet. I'm assuming in favour of putting the enormous amounts of work in that you do for the streams, the video's, the podcasts etc. I wanted to comment on how much I've been enjoying Alex and Cam's talking simulator stream. Its so refreshing to have a stream that focuses on things other than just the basic points of contrast between games. Of what makes them (personally) the best form of entertainment there is. Its nice to have a genuinely interesting, critical and intellectual show that goes into such depth with the nitty gritty of the games.

And I also just wanted to let you know that so far I've been enjoying EVERY stream. Since they all seem to have recieved a positive impact from the new setup. More entertaining than ever, which is no small feat by the standards you set for yourselves previously. Ever forward Ladies and Gentlemen. Never learning.
Fangle

Postby Fangle » 10 Jun 2016, 16:08

AdmiralMemo wrote:If you want to see the status of a video, here's the 2014 list and the 2015 list.

Is there one of these for 2016? That would be really helpful. I had a quick look around, but couldn't find any obvious links to it.
Forecedreject
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Forecedreject » 21 Jun 2016, 02:39

So after wading through some of the streams I have a very specific questions. During the "Etin" campaign, Cameron references someone named Kain.

Is that a Legacy of Kain reference? If so, would it be possible for any of those games to ever show up on Talking Simulator? Asking because I'm a big fan of the LoK series and because I think it would be interesting to examine the design decisions made by lesser known games.
Tantusar
First Video: How to LRR

Postby Tantusar » 25 Jun 2016, 04:53

Here's something that's been bothering me for ages. It's definitely not Friday.
Paul
Super Moderator

Postby Paul » 25 Jun 2016, 07:44

Tantusar wrote:Here's something that's been bothering me for ages. It's definitely not Friday.

Can you elaborate on the problem, Tantusar? Is the problem that the streams are scheduled in the wrong place? or is it that the wrong day is highlighted?
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 25 Jun 2016, 09:56

I get the same problem actually. In some of the earlier timezones, (looks like Tantusar's the same as me at GMT+10), the day highlighted on the calendar page is one day behind what day it currently is here.

For example, I'm posting this message at local time of just before 4am on Sunday, but the calendar page is still highlighting Saturday for me, and will continue to do so for most of the day.

Honestly, I've just learned to live with it, but since it's being mentioned...

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”