Graham and Paul Let's Play

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Thysane

Re: Graham and Paul Let's Play

Postby Thysane » 26 Feb 2014, 10:28

Sadly, those are really the only such sections in the game. It's all back downhill from here, chaps.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 28 Feb 2014, 03:47

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:Beyond: Two Souls is, to me, a potentially good story that does not use the medium of being a game anywhere near well enough. Which is odd, given that it's clearly been constructed to try and make use of gaming's element of choice, so wouldn't work (in its current form) as anything else.

I've wondered about that. I'm told the only choices the game lets you make (through its obscure mechanics) is seeing fully fleshed out scenes or abbreviated scenes, all telling the same trite terribly written story. Like the one thing that could justify making it a 60 dollar game rather than, let's say, an animated short film is not done to any effect. Though other sources indicate your choices have some minor effects, like apparently you can save Navajo Dad instead of killing him as G&P did, only it doesn't have any impact on the story whatsoever beyond that one hermetically sealed scene either way. Nonexistent choice or unimportant choice: Can someone set this straight so I can be angry at the game's mere existence for the right reasons?
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Feb 2014, 05:04

At this point, the original Wing Commander had a far superior choice and branching storyline mechanic. Not to mention more fleshed out supporting characters.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 04 Mar 2014, 03:20

Oh man, I finally remembered why Creeper World is so oddly familiar...

It's reminding me of Perimeter, an RTS whose resource mechanic is very similar to the collectors in Creeper World - you build a network of nodes, everything needs to be connected to that network, and you gain energy according to the area of flat level ground covered by the nodes. You also have these terraforming drones that go out and level the ground underneath your nodes so you get more power.

The actual RTS itself was... pretty bland. But the mechanics were neat.

No idea if this is a common idea that all sorts of games everywhere use, but that's where I saw it first. And the collectors in Creeper World were giving me major deja vu about it, even though I was sure I'd never played CW before... until I remembered it's actually a different game...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 04 Mar 2014, 17:49

I got a note from the developer of Creeper World that he saw a jump in sales after the stream, so thanks to everyone who watched and a special thanks to those of you who were able to support a great game and a super cool indie developer.

If anyone else is curious, you can find out more about Creeper World and buy the game at http://knucklecracker.com
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 04 Mar 2014, 21:38

I'm going to buy that game when it comes out on Steam. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

RAIC

Postby RAIC » 07 Mar 2014, 09:33

I saw no topic about this, but here seemed a logical place to ask: Can we add suggestions for future games? Because I really want to see you guys play Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death, it's ridiculously bad, and kinda plays like that X-men game you did.
tak197 wrote:Guys! A Good Looking Ginger DUDE! We have the internet equivalent of a unicorn in our presence.
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 07 Mar 2014, 16:55

RAIC wrote:I really want to see you guys play Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death

Seconded.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 07 Mar 2014, 21:15

I'd like to see you take on an Uncharted game... because I think there's a lot of good material for you all there but at least you can enjoy playing it
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Trevor
First Video: suspiciously good movers

Postby Trevor » 10 Mar 2014, 20:21

I want to see one of them play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for the first time. Either on GPLP or House of Stark. Both would work.
Great game. Lots to comment on. Perfect length for a stream.
mariomario42
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby mariomario42 » 10 Mar 2014, 20:39

Looking at Unskippable vids, I'd have to say Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two or Sonic and the Black Knight. (or first Epic Mickey)

Haven't played them, but seem like it could be a good balance of making fun of stuff and not being too grindy.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 11 Mar 2014, 13:27

While Aiden would be a good game mechanic in an actual game, it struck me earlier today that it would be an amazing mechanic for Dishonoured-type game (the "Action-Stealth with Superpowers" genre, along with Deus Ex).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 11 Mar 2014, 13:51

Something like Aiden might break that type of game if not handled VERY carefully though.
Sakurazaki
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby Sakurazaki » 17 Mar 2014, 18:04

Here are a few tips that might help you play Revengence more efficiently.

1) Remember To Lock On: You spent most of the Mistral fight unlocked, and it made it more difficult to properly block and counter. Having the camera held in place really helps. With normal enemies it's not as bad, but locking onto bosses is a must.

2) Normal Enemies Are Chumps: The normal hatchet-equipped human enemies are so weak that you can blade-mode them from the word "go". If you ever need health, just lock onto one, enter blade mode, sweep horizontally, and rip their spine out. They are slightly shorter than Raiden, so a normal horizontal sweep generally hits their spine without precise aiming.

3) Use Your Enhanced Vision: Laser Traps, Enemy Commanders (with Left Arms), and other important things are lit up when you use it. Great for recon.

4) Be Insanely Offensive: Parrying/Blocking is important, but it can be done in the middle of a combo. Use ninja run to close the distance and then let go of R2 and rapidly attack them. If they try to attack you back, simply move the stick in the incoming direction as you mash to transition from attacking to blocking. You should never stand still just to wait for an enemy to attack. Don't fall victim to God of War instincts, blocking overrides attacking.

5) Stealth Is Optional: You can get some bonus points for being 100% stealthy and it can be useful for insta-killing annoying enemies, but the combat is too fun to ignore. Recon the area, pick an annoying enemy (like a commander or elite), insta-kill him, then wipe out the alerted survivors in normal combat.

6) Minor Stuff: You have to sever the data arms cleanly, don't chop randomly. Firing a rocket at enemies holding civilians hostage won't hurt the hostage. The boss music is generally awesome. Almost every attack can be blocked or parried, even when fighting giant enemies.

You guys are doing well, but the game can be punishing if you don't get the hang of blocking and countering. The game does a lot of things different to other hack n' slash games, so it takes some getting used to. I know quite a few people who got as far as the Bladewolf fight (i.e. the first actual challenge in the game) and rage-quit after getting slaughtered. They never learned how to block, and just thought the game was cheap and poorly designed.

Hope this helps.
Ranakel
First Video: Unskippable - Dirge of Cerberus

Postby Ranakel » 18 Mar 2014, 14:51

Or, you know. Just keep ninja-runnin'hack'n'slashin' around like a maniac, and see how it goes until you get blocked, if you do. Having fun, and not doing a superplay.

:3
Sakurazaki

Postby Sakurazaki » 19 Mar 2014, 05:38

Believe me, everything I mentioned is important for a single playthrough on normal. If you're on easy you can ignore some of it, but the difficulty really ramps up if you aren't prepared. Getting curb-stomped because you never learned the mechanics properly isn't very fun (personal experience).

If you were actually doing a superplay, you need to think about scoring, ranking calculation, and all sorts of other junk ;)
Ranakel
First Video: Unskippable - Dirge of Cerberus

Postby Ranakel » 19 Mar 2014, 06:46

I'm talking from experience too, having played for the first time on hard mode. They seem to be doing just fine. And if somehow, they get stuck on, say, monsoon for some reason, the chat will just game from the backseat for a while, before things take their natural flow again, Graham and Paul, serenely enlightened by the new techniques they learned at the most critical time.

A big list can be intimidating.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 19 Mar 2014, 09:02

ah... good to know the civilians are immortal until they aren't
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Sakurazaki

Postby Sakurazaki » 19 Mar 2014, 16:52

Monsoon should be a pretty interesting fight if they haven't gotten the hang of parrying. Presumably the chat will step in if the fight lasts more than 20 minutes and Graham is reduced to a quivering wreck because he can't lay a finger on the boss :wink:

Ranakel wrote:A big list can be intimidating.

Point taken, but I figured a comprehensive list would be better than the tl;dr version. I'm sure they'll be fine, but the game's tutorial is still missing some rather important points.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 19 Mar 2014, 23:08

The list is super helpful actually.

I… look forward to next session?
Gonna level with you all, I mayyyyyy have thought this game was a little more mindless in its gameplay than possibly it actually is.
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 20 Mar 2014, 01:41

No kidding! I knew the game was good, but what I've seen from the replay so far really makes me want to buy it.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Sakurazaki

Postby Sakurazaki » 20 Mar 2014, 06:11

Graham wrote:Gonna level with you all, I mayyyyyy have thought this game was a little more mindless in its gameplay than possibly it actually is.

If one thing can describe Platinum games, mindless isn't it. Bayonetta, Vanquish, and Revengence are all beatable using normal hack-n-slash/TPS instincts, but they're more fun if you push the battle system to it's limits. Their games tend to be challenging, but entirely beatable without mastering every mechanic.

Platinum is staffed by ex-Capcom employees and the former Clover Studios. These are the guys responsible for Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry, God Hand, Okami, and Viewtiful Joe.

Their games have some problems and not every one is a masterpiece, but they almost always try something new, interesting, and challenging. I'd rather play something "interesting but flawed" than "competent but safe"... especially if the "interesting but flawed" game involves rocket-sliding through a crowd of robots and reducing them to scrap while back-flipping in slow motion 8)
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 Mar 2014, 23:23

I beat Bayonetta, but I guess I forgot how complex it was.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 21 Mar 2014, 11:10

They're also the lunatics behind Wonderful 101, which is a combination of Bayonetta and Okami with a dash of Pikmin.

Very steep initial learning curve. Very satisfying to master. Very chaotic on the screen. Platinum does one thing and they do it very well.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 21 Mar 2014, 17:20

Soooo... yeah. I'm gonna get back to Revengence.
THIS IS YOUR FAULT.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”