Beej's Backlog

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Beej's Backlog

Postby empath » 09 Jun 2014, 21:07

Okay, this...this is MORE FUN THAN IT SHOULD BE?!?
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Jun 2014, 19:07

A list of Goombella pics for Beej...

Official Sprite from Nintendo - Click to Expand
Single Sketch by CoyCoy - Click to Expand
Multiple Sketches by CoyCoy - Click to Expand
Same as above with middle trimmed to see sig - Click to Expand
More Sketches by CoyCoy - Click to Expand
Heart Goombella by Dr. Sage - Click to Expand
Wallpaper by NW - Click to Expand
Goombella in a Mario Costume by GeneralGoomba - Click to Expand
Goombella Reading by danmatt6288 - Click to Expand
Goombella Spelunking by YoshiMan - Click to Expand
Happy Goombella by YoshiMan - Click to Expand
Goombella at the Beach by YoshiMan - Click to Expand
Goombella by eevee10001 - Click to Expand

I don't know if you can get a Flash animation behind you, but here's an animated Goombella by toastypk.

Here's the Straw Poll I set up. (You can choose multiple options, if you want.)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

LadyRhian
First Video: "The Job

Postby LadyRhian » 24 Jun 2014, 10:42

Hey, Beej, if you do end up playing one of the Virtual Villager games, can we ask that you play it in your CaveBeej costume? That would add *tremendously* to the experience! :)
LadyRhian

Postby LadyRhian » 08 Jul 2014, 20:47

And if you need some help with the Belt Collecting Ogre, I can help you with that. It helps if you recruit Montaron and Xzar *and* Khalid and Jaheira from the Friendly Arm Inn (barring that, you can also speak with Dorn Il-Khan (the guy who mistakes you for a server/waitress depending on your CHARNAME's gender), however, he doesn't join until later). Jaheira has a spell called "Entangle". You can send Imoen, who comes to you with a Wand of Magic Missiles to scout ahead after drinking Jaheira's Potion of Invisibility. Scout to where the Ogre is, and then have Jaheira cast "Entangle" on an area near (and ahead of) where he is standing. This will slow him down and often hold him in place while the rest of the party can unleash on him with spells, items and missile weapons (Bows, crossbows, throwing knives and etc.) Don't actually enter the area of the Entangle yourselves, and just pepper the Ogre with arrows, bolts and spells until it is dead.

Also, in the game, if you hold down the "tab" key, you can see areas of interest for your characters. There is a ring hidden down and to the right of the Friendly Arm Inn's entrance, under a pine tree (I think it's a pine) that allows wizards who wear it to double the amount of first-level wizard spells they carry. There is also a diamond hidden in a rock on a road that is along one of the first two areas you traverse to get to the Inn. You should also go back to Gorion's body and loot the creatures and humans he killed- you'll need the money!

Basically, resist the urge to travel at night through the woods until you level a few times- you get attacked by far worse enemies at night, and a vampiric wolf can *really* give you a bad time. You have an easier time in-game if you start out as one of the martial classes, but… eventually, Wizards end up being far more powerful, if personally squishy. Like the saying goes, Linear Fighter, Quadratic Wizard.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 08 Jul 2014, 21:08

Wow, sounds like we're really excited for VV, but he hasn't beaten Rawk Hawk yet so it might be a while.
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 15 Jul 2014, 10:14

Way behind the times catching up on the old videos, but I have to say the Beej/Alex Harvest Moon videos are some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a long time.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 15 Jul 2014, 16:03

Agreed. I think Harvest Moon may be my favourite series of streams so far. It was great.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Beej
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby Beej » 28 Jul 2014, 15:46

LadyRhian wrote:Hey, Beej, if you do end up playing one of the Virtual Villager games, can we ask that you play it in your CaveBeej costume? That would add *tremendously* to the experience! :)

I'm certain I could do that. But keep in mind, my backlog is BIG. It could take me a long time to get to VV, since I'm really hoping to blow through games I've actually paid for first.
Arclight_Dynamo
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » 28 Jul 2014, 20:26

Just for posterity's sake... and because it makes me laugh a great deal... Beej as a reptoid:

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 28 Jul 2014, 21:30

I'm going to need to watch this replay.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 29 Jul 2014, 08:02

I guess this is the best place to post this(since I was asleep when this show was on yesterday and I'm watching it now) and I disagree that Sailor Moon is as non-feminist as it was said. I'm glad that generally it wasn't considered a problem, but I still disagree with it.

Something which was mentioned is that, sure, Tuxedo Kamen saves Sailor Moon from an attack so that she can do the finisher, but it's always she that has to kill the monster. (gonna spoiler for anyone that might not of seen Sailor Moon but wants to) Not to mention that Tuxedo Kamen gets brainwashed, and ultimately Sailor Moon saves him. It's a series about how a group of girls support each other, and how they beat the bad guys. So, is it suddenly not a feminist series because Usagi dreams of fancy dresses and is very invested in her relationship with Mamoru? Or because the other girls dream of romance? In the end, the different seasons take place when they're between the ages for 14-16, and last time I checked plenty of girls dreamed about romance at that age(not all, but many). That's not to say that all teenage girls hurl themselves into relationships to find that special someone, because some have restraint and patience, but it does seem to be something that a lot of girls thought about at that age(at least according to my experience).

So I just think calling it non-feminist is a bit unfair, and not entirely correct. It's certainly not the most progressive piece of anime out there, but I don't think everything has to be.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I do agree with the statement that it'll probably not do much for feminism though. As I mentioned, it's hardly a trail-blazer for feminism among anime.
Hurp-De-Durp!
LunarJade
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby LunarJade » 31 Jul 2014, 10:24

Deedles wrote:I guess this is the best place to post this(since I was asleep when this show was on yesterday and I'm watching it now) and I disagree that Sailor Moon is as non-feminist as it was said. I'm glad that generally it wasn't considered a problem, but I still disagree with it.

Something which was mentioned is that, sure, Tuxedo Kamen saves Sailor Moon from an attack so that she can do the finisher, but it's always she that has to kill the monster. (gonna spoiler for anyone that might not of seen Sailor Moon but wants to) Not to mention that Tuxedo Kamen gets brainwashed, and ultimately Sailor Moon saves him. It's a series about how a group of girls support each other, and how they beat the bad guys. So, is it suddenly not a feminist series because Usagi dreams of fancy dresses and is very invested in her relationship with Mamoru? Or because the other girls dream of romance? In the end, the different seasons take place when they're between the ages for 14-16, and last time I checked plenty of girls dreamed about romance at that age(not all, but many). That's not to say that all teenage girls hurl themselves into relationships to find that special someone, because some have restraint and patience, but it does seem to be something that a lot of girls thought about at that age(at least according to my experience).

So I just think calling it non-feminist is a bit unfair, and not entirely correct. It's certainly not the most progressive piece of anime out there, but I don't think everything has to be.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I do agree with the statement that it'll probably not do much for feminism though. As I mentioned, it's hardly a trail-blazer for feminism among anime.

I'm trying to remember what we said about Sailor Moon. I should probably go back and listen to it.
We were talking in relation to an article that claimed that Sailor Moon wasn't doing anything or hasn't ever done anything for feminism. I don't know if I would say the series went out to be feminist, even when it first came out, but I definitely think the original anime did a lot to empower and showed great examples for woman at the time. Especially when compared to what was on tv in North America at the time.
The main argument I wanted to make is that this show comes from a different time period and in the reboot likely won't do much for feminism and I don't know if it should be expected to. Could it update to take on those kinds of tones? Certainly. Does it have to? No probably not.
It will still hold what it used to have though. A group of girls supporting each other and beating up bad guys, and some romance.
I also don't really expect it to be all that spectacular in the sense of a magical girl series like it probably was back in the day. Its a different time period now and Sailor Moon (especially to those who've never seen it before) will look a lot like other magical girl series now.

Does that make sense?
I really love talking about Sailor Moon, and chances are it will crop up again.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 04 Aug 2014, 17:45

It definitely makes sense, and I agree what what you two were saying about it being from a different time and culture, so one shouldn't expect it to uphold western values when it comes to feminism(and I don't mean that in a bad sense, actually quite the opposite).

I quite like like talking about Sailor Moon too, but alas I don't get to do so very often since I don't have that many people that I talk to that watch anime, and the ones that do haven't really watched Sailor Moon because they're not interested. So, looking forward to seeing it crop up again. ^^
Hurp-De-Durp!
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 09 Aug 2014, 18:28

So, is the much-threatened "Beej and Alex play Hatoful Boyfriend" going to come to pass? I just explained the premise of that game to my sister, and she's pretty excited to see this get streamed...

(I mean, I'm not interested in the slightest. Only my sister. Yes. Exactly. Why would it be any different?)
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Aug 2014, 12:12

Okay, this actually relates to the 'Crossing the Streams' mystery box session that saw Alex, Beej & Heather trying out a few indie titles...I suppose this is the closest thread for it...

Firstly, I HAVE to satisfy this compulsion filling my body and making my limbs vibrate:
(with SINCERE apologies to those people described; no serious statement of character intended with these jests)

After struggling their way through the tutorial levels, two 'pro gamers' take a backseat to a REAL HARDCORE PRO GAMER GRRL who then proceeds to GET SHIT DONE! :lol:

(Seriously, Alex and Beej are cool - I think I begin to see why Lunarjade keeps calling Beej 'a scrub': not because he's objectively a poor gamer, but because SHE is just so much BETTER :D - in this case because she's got better lateral thinking, or "dreams bigger" ;) )

Also, thanks to the offhand discussion, "Crawl" is now atop my wishlist (more as a reminder for the next time I've got spare cash to spend on games) - oh, DAT TRAILER NARRATION! :lol:

"Tiny and Big" also got added - the flexible, destructible-world game mechanic knocks vaunted "Red Faction" into a cocked hat! (and the soundtrack is following the indie game truism that it HAS to be good ;) )
Trevor
First Video: suspiciously good movers

Postby Trevor » 12 Aug 2014, 12:30

empath wrote:After struggling their way through the tutorial levels, two 'pro gamers' take a backseat to a REAL HARDCORE PRO GAMER GRRL who then proceeds to GET SHIT DONE! :lol:

(Seriously, Alex and Beej are cool - I think I begin to see why Lunarjade keeps calling Beej 'a scrub': not because he's objectively a poor gamer, but because SHE is just so much BETTER :D - in this case because she's got better lateral thinking, or "dreams bigger" ;) )

Weird, it seemed like the exact opposite when I was watching. It felt like progress slowed to a crawl when Heather took over, possibly in part to the climbs getting trickier, or maybe also due to her not having had the benefit of getting to practice on the earlier levels like they did.

Edit: Though I wasn't able to watch the ending, so maybe the pace picked up at some point after I left. Guess I'll check the replay now
Edit2: Looks like things did start getting exciting again after the 2 hour point
Last edited by Trevor on 12 Aug 2014, 13:02, edited 3 times in total.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Aug 2014, 12:42

Depends on how you define "progress" though. She stopped dying as much as they did. But her moves were deliberate and thoughtful, vs. the more random trying of things that Alex and Beej did.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 12 Aug 2014, 16:20

Honestly, I think it's fair to say that progress would be actually progressing through the game. No offense to Heather, but I was about to stop watching at the point where they were on the corner of the flying temple trying to get across a pit to the ramp and she kept on trying to go down where there was a killfield. I think she might have just been messing around, but it made that section drag on a lot longer than it feels like it should have.

To put it in perspective, Heather took over at about 1:25. Up until that point, they had beat... 3 levels I want to say? After she took over, they beat about 2 stages, and the entire thing lasted about 3:15. I don't really think the later stages were that much longer or bigger either. They were bigger than the tutorial stage, but Alex derped around in that for quite a while.

I feel like part of it was that the later stages were understandably more puzzle-heavy. But she also took a lot more time to cut every single thing in front of her. She seemed to be having fun with it, and that's fair. But it made the pace of the game feel like it had slowed quite a bit. There was background discussion to help the stream from getting too dull.
LadyRhian

Postby LadyRhian » 15 Aug 2014, 08:17

Beej wrote:
LadyRhian wrote:Hey, Beej, if you do end up playing one of the Virtual Villager games, can we ask that you play it in your CaveBeej costume? That would add *tremendously* to the experience! :)

I'm certain I could do that. But keep in mind, my backlog is BIG. It could take me a long time to get to VV, since I'm really hoping to blow through games I've actually paid for first.

Great! We need more CaveBeej in ou lives. ;)
hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 29 Sep 2014, 20:41

Well. When this happens, it's been a good stream.
Loslomo
First Video: Can't honestly remember

Postby Loslomo » 29 Sep 2014, 23:19

on the topic of Sega CDs, I own a couple of units and can send them northward if one is needed as a replacement for DBFH.
"Rise again, rise again. Though your heart may be broken or life about to end..."
-Stan Rogers, The Mary Ellen Carter
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Nov 2014, 05:19

Can we buy this shirt for Beej and have him wear it on stream? :D

Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 12 Nov 2014, 18:41

I vote Beej just wear a green shirt and stream as the floating head of Beej.
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
famout
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby famout » 25 Nov 2014, 00:17

Been watching though Paper Mario ttyd (the one that I missed) and loving it, although I just have to ask, can I find part 10 anywhere? In twitch it only had a 12 minute clip of it, and no trace on the LoadingReadyLive channel either...

It is so story driven I kinda don't want to skip a whole section if that makes any sense.
Website at http://www.skygazersoftware.Com
Tri-Weekly Stream at http://www.Twitch.TV/Famout
And Replays and other goodies at Youtube!
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 29 Dec 2014, 12:16

Is Beej still playing Dragonfall? I want to play it myself so have been avoiding his stream for spoilers.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”