IDDQDerp

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Re: IDDQDerp

Postby ArchieO » 12 May 2014, 09:25

I've heard, SK Spear has been doing me fine up to this point, I doubt I will change, I like the move set and it hasn't let me down damage wise yet.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Lysander
First Video: Daily Drop: Eggs

Postby Lysander » 12 May 2014, 11:55

jkefka wrote:Demon Spear, which drops from the demons in Anor Londo (albeit rarely), is absolutely frikken' amazing and straight better than the dragonslayer spear.

Plus it's a bi-dent, which is a nice alternative to the usual spear or trident.

Is the Titanite Catch Pole any good? I see it can scale with Dex, Strength, and Intellect.

Do the stat scales stack, or is it only based off the highest stat you have?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 May 2014, 12:01

Need spearz plox
deathjavu
First Video: First episode of unskippable

Postby deathjavu » 12 May 2014, 13:57

I ended up not liking most spears because they only have a thrust attack, and not a sweep attack for when there's multiple enemies around.

To that end, I recommend the silver knight spear or the partizan, which have both a thrust and a sweep, real useful to have the variety available and the stats are fine.

The partizan is actually in the area Graham just cleared, and I'm pretty sure Graham picked it up (it was under a tree with the two headed lizards on it). Maybe try upgrading that a bit?

Also, spears are heavily Dex-based, which means you'll be able to effectively use bows as well. Bows can be really powerful, allowing you to pick off dudes from beyond their aggro range.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 May 2014, 16:04

Yeah I'm gonna shift into Dex.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 May 2014, 15:11

I ended up watching a sliver today's Child of Light playthrough, and the entire bit I caught was complaining about the game's reviews. So I have a question for the specific reviews Alex was referring to. Do those reviews say that the game is bad for those reasons, or that they didn't like it because of those reasons? Because the latter is a fair point to make, while the former is not.

I feel like too many people try to insist that game reviews need to be objective. The issue with being objective is that we are all hue-mans beep-boop. The multitude of game elements and how we perceive them are taken through our own personal filter. So we're more likely to lenient towards genres and ideas we like naturally because we're more likely to enjoy them.

It's especially tough with stuff like story and characters. There are details of a story that could be objectively bad. But there also a lot of aspects that come down to tastes. Like it seems that Alex prefers games with good female characters and/or ones that go full ham. These are elements that don't make a game objectively better, but it does make them more enjoyable if you enjoy those aspects.

To stop myself from ranting too much, I basically feel like I'm trying to say that reviews are pretty much always going to be subjective to some degree. That's why finding reviewers whose tastes fall in line with your own is important. And that goes for any reviewer for anything, not just games. It also seems like that's another thing that 'grades' hurt. People will say "Oh, John Mcdongs gave Final Cut 59 a 5/10, but it's actually really good" when the ranking that person might have used is what they actually thought of the game.

Then again, I'm just bad at arguing, so I guess it's a moot point.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 May 2014, 23:09

OK, my thought on it is that game reviews should point out all of the objective elements in them, but yes, there are always going to be subjective parts.

My ideal review would have the reviewer start with a bit of "The game is this genre, for this system, and it has X, Y, and Z gameplay/story elements in it. Yada Yada Yada." Then they move onto their personal experience with it. That way, people who just want to know about what the game is can get the first part and then choose whether to go further into the experience or not. If you don't know anything about a game except the name, you might only want the bare bones, to form your own opinion. On the other hand, you might not, and might want to hear about what that person felt like while playing it. But to give consumers that choice would be great.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 May 2014, 23:14

Memo, I could see that being a good way to go about it. Get the specific details down, and maybe the impression with them (like saying that the controls of the latest cobaduby were really tight), then move onto the more subjective parts (like not caring for the art style, or the story).
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 14 May 2014, 04:32

I concur; that sounds like a VERY good writing style for a review...of ANYTHING, really.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 14 May 2014, 05:26

deathjavu wrote:I ended up not liking most spears because they only have a thrust attack, and not a sweep attack for when there's multiple enemies around.

To that end, I recommend the silver knight spear or the partizan, which have both a thrust and a sweep, real useful to have the variety available and the stats are fine.

The partizan is actually in the area Graham just cleared, and I'm pretty sure Graham picked it up (it was under a tree with the two headed lizards on it). Maybe try upgrading that a bit?

Also, spears are heavily Dex-based, which means you'll be able to effectively use bows as well. Bows can be really powerful, allowing you to pick off dudes from beyond their aggro range.

Honestly I don't really use the sweep attack on the SKS very much it is too slow for my playstyle. As for a bow, it can make certain sections just ludicrously easy, case in point the Leaping Demons In lost Izalith can just be sniped
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 14 May 2014, 08:42

Can someone with better grasp of english and/or better sound than me tell us about the invention Kathleen gave the world in yesterdays stream? (It's about 1:45:00 on the replay)
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 May 2014, 08:48

I had trouble with it, too, but apparently, it was a "Pooperscope"?

It's like a periscope or other such scope that you snake around the bend in the drain to see where your poop went.

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 14 May 2014, 09:38

For those times when the poop just shoots out of you and disappears up the back of the drain. It's sad not knowing how big your poop was or what it looks like (maybe it was a Q!).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 18 May 2014, 18:09

So, I only caught a bit of last Tuesday's Child of Light stream. Are we going to continue vetoing Remember Me, if Alex finishes this Tuesday? I'd be fine with that, since Transistor comes out on Tuesday. I'm going to be jamming on that game SO HARD!
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Kingdragon81
First Video: It's magic

Postby Kingdragon81 » 24 May 2014, 22:12

So any bets on who Alex is going to infect with Dark Souls next? I do love seeing so many people in the crew getting to enjoy one of my favorite games.
KITTY!
deathjavu

Postby deathjavu » 24 May 2014, 23:02

I feel like we've almost run out of possible candidates. Kathleen gets motion sickness from a lot of games, and PC Dark Souls has some weird framerate issues...and Jer seems far too busy to get into something as involved as Dark Souls.

I think James is the most likely candidate left, out of the stream team. I guess Paul might get the bug too?

My money's on James, if anyone.
Lysander
First Video: Daily Drop: Eggs

Postby Lysander » 25 May 2014, 06:17

Kingdragon81 wrote:So any bets on who Alex is going to infect with Dark Souls next? I do love seeing so many people in the crew getting to enjoy one of my favorite games.

I hope it gets mentioned in a future Commodore Hustle episode. All the crew is hooked on DS, and it's getting in the way of valuable Magic The Gathering time. Oh and filming too. Maybe they'll invade each other -- perhaps one will do it accidentally, because he wanted to be summoned to help with a boss fight and didn't quite understand the pvp mechanics. And CH! Kathleen will get frustrated with dying and download a save-game editor.
HeyZootie
First Video: Commodore Hustle

Postby HeyZootie » 25 May 2014, 07:36

And the winner of the "who's going to catch Dark Souls next" contest is - Cam!

Nice stream Alex / Cam, and I really like the dex action. Apparently the Gold Hemmed armor is a sweet armor set for dex too, so there's that.

Now they just have to patch the Get the Feck off my Windows you Losers (GFWL) garbage out of my Dark Souls edition and I will be able to play too. I will not install a game with that crap on it.
Kingdragon81
First Video: It's magic

Postby Kingdragon81 » 25 May 2014, 16:36

well gfwl is going away in like a month so there's that
KITTY!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 27 May 2014, 16:29

welp, Just Cause 2 was A HOOT!!! :lol:

I'm glad you really enjoyed all the free-form abilities of the game. :D

Of course, thanks to monkey-see-monkey-do, I am now compelled to abandon my 'rebuild my Mass Effect cheevo's for a steam version' and go back to my JC2 playthrough...

...and guess what: under main menu/settings/ there's "Xbox360 controller settings" - might wanna study that for a bit before your next joyride around in Rico's cowboy boots :mrgreen:
Sakurazaki
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby Sakurazaki » 27 May 2014, 16:35

Just a few tips for Just Cause 2.

The parachute acts realistically, so you need to conserve momentum. Pulling up raises altitude while lowering speed. Diving does the opposite. You can use the hookshot to drag yourself towards the ground or trees to build up momentum and keep yourself moving. Doing it off of of the ground is harder, but as long as you lightly pull up while the hook is engaged you'll stay level. It takes practice, but what great game mechanic doesn't?

Cars change their handling characteristics when damaged, so it's better to hijack a new car then try to steer the one with 1 good tire. Don't bother with the normal Black Market vehicles, they're expensive and generic cars are everywhere.

You can grapple onto high enemies to drag them towards you. Just use the hookshot like normal when targeting an enemy. Great for killing snipers.

If you ever see a large vertical gas cylinder, hook onto it and then shoot it. It will rocket you into the air.

Every item with a red/white star on it can be destroyed. Oil Tanks, Generators, Comm Towers, Satellite Dishes, Oil Pipelines, SAM Units, Statues, etc...

Just Cause 2 is one of my favorite games, and it's one of the rare games that truly lets you fuck around as much as you want without punishing you. Feel free to go nuts instead of focusing on missions.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 May 2014, 16:40

I think he should do a few missions to unlock some cool stuff, and THEN fart around. :D

Sakurazaki
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby Sakurazaki » 27 May 2014, 16:49

I guess that's true. Some of the missions are cool, but some of them can't compare to the crazy shit you can do on your own. Occasionally I'll just try to travel from one side of the map to the other and see what shenanigans I run into on the way.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 27 May 2014, 17:03

The unlocking happens by earning chaos, which comes from either completing missions or blowing things up. So either way is a valid option, though missions, will probably do it more quickly.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
deathjavu

Postby deathjavu » 27 May 2014, 17:45

Oh man...I have 62 hours into Just Cause 2, something like 60% completion. The map is absurdly massive, filled with things to explode, and leveling up the heavy machine gun makes it into a slaughterhouse.

JC2 is ridiculously fun and (clearly) right up Alex's alley.

I'm actually really surprised he hadn't played it yet.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”