IDDQDerp

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: IDDQDerp

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Jul 2014, 01:02

Can I make a GIF request of a back-dated stream? Can you go to this stream at 2:51:05 and GIF Alex being beaten in the head by Graham? :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 02 Jul 2014, 01:23

Such senseless violence.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Jul 2014, 02:07

See, this is what they need to do if Alex streams for 3 days. :D

Boofinka
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Boofinka » 06 Jul 2014, 11:24

Anyone else wanted to give Alex a hug at the end of that stream?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Jul 2014, 18:21

Yep.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Jul 2014, 17:10

Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 10 Jul 2014, 20:45

12hr Call of Pripyat when I'm healthy again?
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 10 Jul 2014, 20:59

Ideally with a rotating crew of copilots. Bonus points if you can get them in the order of the people who brought you coffee in the CH sketch.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
ch3m1kal

Postby ch3m1kal » 11 Jul 2014, 01:43

Alex Steacy wrote:12hr Call of Pripyat when I'm healthy again?

Also consider maybe a game that can be beaten in under 12 hours? I think it would be pretty great to just play through a game in one sitting.

If you ever need to figure out how long a particular game is: http://www.howlongtobeat.com
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 11 Jul 2014, 04:34

Huh... interesting. According to that How Long To Beat site, a completionist run of Guacamelee averages 14 hours. I would not be opposed to seeing that as a 12-hour stream, with some corners cut. That said, there is one area when going for the completionist run that might cause some tilting. (Well, a couple, but still...)
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
DiHorizon
First Video: probably unskippable

Postby DiHorizon » 11 Jul 2014, 23:21

60 second sketch of Alex "turns to look at the chat every 15 seconds" Steacy, circa ObsCure stream. The vague likeness! It is uncanny.

Also, really? No one's suggested a 12 hour tilt-a-thon of Clear Sky entitled "Wasted Potential: The Rushening"?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Jul 2014, 12:30

Well, it's because some of us LIKE Alex, and don't want to subject him to such annoyance and frustration. ;)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Jul 2014, 12:57

Eh, I'd enjoy seeing it. But I know he'd never go for it no matter how much we bribed him.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Jul 2014, 13:51

He MIGHT do a 3-hour Watch + Play of it, but that might be it.

Arakasi
First Video: Uhh, no idea.

Postby Arakasi » 14 Jul 2014, 10:38

Alex Steacy wrote:12hr Call of Pripyat when I'm healthy again?

You gotta do 13, to beat Adam. At least partially because I want this to be an ever escalating contest amongst the streamers.
SohNata

Postby SohNata » 14 Jul 2014, 11:18

I feel like we shouldn't challenge Alex to endurance contests, because I can see him charging full on into it and doing something absurd like 30 hours.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Jul 2014, 12:10

No... He got pretty tilty during his 6-hour stream. I wouldn't want to see double that.

MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 14 Jul 2014, 12:48

That was because Lifeless Planet crapped its pants with weird physics puzzles and bad checkpoints. If the game was consistent in quality, I doubt he'd tilt as much. Like, he could probably do a full run of Guacamelee (not a 100% run, just start to final boss) just fine. The bonus stuff needed for 100% might make him tilt.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Jul 2014, 13:10

I really don't think Lifeless Planet "crapped its pants", other than perhaps the one lava bit (and that was just because the path was a bit obscure). It was mostly Alex's deteriorating mental state, lack of co-pilot, and the bitter taste left over from the lava puzzle.

Given Alex's self-professed dislike of puzzles/puzzle games, it was not a good choice for a prolonged stream.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Gravity Pike
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Gravity Pike » 14 Jul 2014, 21:21

Is it just me, or did the Twitch stream not really handle the high-res graphics in the Stalker games very gracefully last Friday? It's kind of a shame that the pretty graphics just kind of jpeg-out whenever Alex moved or turned to look at something. :(
GDwarf

Postby GDwarf » 15 Jul 2014, 13:19

Gravity Pike wrote:Is it just me, or did the Twitch stream not really handle the high-res graphics in the Stalker games very gracefully last Friday? It's kind of a shame that the pretty graphics just kind of jpeg-out whenever Alex moved or turned to look at something. :(

Video compression in general will lead to such issues.* You can, however, set the Twitch stream quality to "Source", in which case Twitch doesn't apply any compression (I don't know what compression, if any, is applied in the Moonbase) which lets stuff look much better.

*Quick summary of video compression: You have "key" and "delta" (or something like that, I don't recall the exact terms) frames. A key frame is a complete frame, like what you'd get on a film strip. A delta frame is simply a list of differences between it and the key frame. In addition, each frame is in turn compressed using, usually, lossy compression (think JPEG). The higher the level of compression, the more detail is lost per frame and the more delta frames you have. As such, whenever the scene changes drastically (such as a pan) you end up with a very blocky image until the next key frame is sent.
May those who accept their fate find happiness; Those who defy it, glory!
GDwarf

Postby GDwarf » 15 Jul 2014, 16:00

Posted these links in the chat during stream today, but figured they'd make sense here, as well. The Alice in Wonderland stories are old enough that they're now in the public domain world-wide, so Project Gutenberg has copies of them. If anyone is curious about the stories that the game Alex is playing are based on, then they're here:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and it's sequel, Alice Through the Looking-Glass

The stories are quite fun and charming.

Alice: Madness Returns also has references to The Hunting of the Snark, which is probably my favourite of Carroll's works.
Gravity Pike
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Gravity Pike » 15 Jul 2014, 21:05

GDwarf wrote:*Quick summary of video compression: You have "key" and "delta" (or something like that, I don't recall the exact terms) frames. A key frame is a complete frame, like what you'd get on a film strip. A delta frame is simply a list of differences between it and the key frame. In addition, each frame is in turn compressed using, usually, lossy compression (think JPEG). The higher the level of compression, the more detail is lost per frame and the more delta frames you have. As such, whenever the scene changes drastically (such as a pan) you end up with a very blocky image until the next key frame is sent.

Haha, you are preaching to the streaming-video choir; I've spent a couple of years as a software dev on the video platform of a content delivery network, so I know what the other side of video looks like. (Er, not the producer's side. The, uh, inside? :?) I don't know much about tuning your streaming setup, so I'm can't even offer any constructive suggestions; what are you going to do, use a two-pass encoding? (Two-pass encoding is impossible while streaming; it requires you to know how complicated future scenes are so you can budget your bit rate.)

How do you select stream quality on Twitch? The little wrench icon only lets you report issues, and the right-click menu doesn't have anything useful.
GDwarf

Postby GDwarf » 15 Jul 2014, 21:32

Gravity Pike wrote:
GDwarf wrote:*Quick summary of video compression: You have "key" and "delta" (or something like that, I don't recall the exact terms) frames. A key frame is a complete frame, like what you'd get on a film strip. A delta frame is simply a list of differences between it and the key frame. In addition, each frame is in turn compressed using, usually, lossy compression (think JPEG). The higher the level of compression, the more detail is lost per frame and the more delta frames you have. As such, whenever the scene changes drastically (such as a pan) you end up with a very blocky image until the next key frame is sent.

Haha, you are preaching to the streaming-video choir; I've spent a couple of years as a software dev on the video platform of a content delivery network, so I know what the other side of video looks like. (Er, not the producer's side. The, uh, inside? :?) I don't know much about tuning your streaming setup, so I'm can't even offer any constructive suggestions; what are you going to do, use a two-pass encoding? (Two-pass encoding is impossible while streaming; it requires you to know how complicated future scenes are so you can budget your bit rate.)

How do you select stream quality on Twitch? The little wrench icon only lets you report issues, and the right-click menu doesn't have anything useful.

It's only an option during live streaming, for some reason. It's a word near the wrench that'll say one of following: Source, High, Medium, Low, or Mobile. Click on it to change the quality.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 17 Jul 2014, 08:05

Can we get Alex to play this for a Let's Nope? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fyhUWP2l00
It hits Early Access next Thursday.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”