IDDQDerp

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
J_S_Bach
First Video: I honestly can't remember.

Re: IDDQDerp

Postby J_S_Bach » 20 Aug 2014, 17:00

The E wrote: As Master Gunner said, the issue isn't specifically about this one character in this one game. It's about how that character has turned up so often that it has become one of the default characterizations for female support characters in games.

People keep saying that it's a character archetype in video games but I can't find evidence of this. I think it's as Dominic Appleguard put and more of something that shows up in other media especially since anime has been known for poor female characterization.
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 20 Aug 2014, 23:00

Erin is a pretty generic character, but I feel she best falls into this Tvtropes category.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DefrostingIceQueen

Though she doesn't quite get to the defrosting part because she's too busy also being the magical mcguffin.

You'll find plenty of other examples right there, even though in Thief the fact that she's just trying to get senpai to notice her is downplayed a little bit (IE only really present in the dream-like sequences).
J_S_Bach
First Video: I honestly can't remember.

Postby J_S_Bach » 21 Aug 2014, 02:25

I've found this discussion very interesting and what I've come away from it with is that people's feelings towards "generic characters" depends on the amount of other forms of media they ingest. I can easily see why some might be fed up with seeing a similar character again and again as if it has been rubber stamped into the script; but consider that the piece that may have broken the camels back for you may be someone's introduction to said character.

My social group saw Erin's character in a more positive light because we had rarely seen anything like her. She was controlling her own life, sure with a bit of an attitude problem but has her past was revealed to the character one could easily follow the steps that led her to being so bitter everyone, especially Garrett. She was confident in her abilities (faster and stealthier than Garrett) but because of her youth and wild nature made a rash decision that resulted in her less than ideal situation. We saw her character as something interesting, not mind shattering but something different from the norm that distracted from the monotony.

And this whole "trying to get senpai to notice her" is something that I'm not very familiar with. I interpreted Erin's feelings towards Garrett to be more brotherly than romantic in nature, but again depending on how much of something you have seen in the past will colour your interpretations which is true for anything.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 21 Aug 2014, 09:36

J_S_Bach wrote:My social group saw Erin's character in a more positive light because we had rarely seen anything like her. She was controlling her own life, sure with a bit of an attitude problem but has her past was revealed to the character one could easily follow the steps that led her to being so bitter everyone, especially Garrett. She was confident in her abilities (faster and stealthier than Garrett) but because of her youth and wild nature made a rash decision that resulted in her less than ideal situation. We saw her character as something interesting, not mind shattering but something different from the norm that distracted from the monotony.
The problem being, we have seen that character many, many times.

If this was your first exposure, I can see it feeling refreshing, but it wasn't new to us.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 26 Aug 2014, 17:31

So Twitch punched us in the face just now, in the middle of our Arland adventure. As the kickstarter backer who paid for today's show, I just wanted to say don't worry about it and I blame it entirely on Twitch. I'm guessing you guys are real busy puzzling together streams for backers right now, and I'm not like in any hurry to have my way or anything. Not like I even had any great ideas for what I wanted you to do anyway. As far as I'm concerned you guys have been doing a better job for the better part of this year than anything I imagined I'd get out of those four hours back in November, that distant world where daily live streams weren't a thing.

Now maybe you want to make it up with a little bonus stream or something, but please don't stress over it. I'm glad we got the time we got, with a game Alex and Heather and the chat seemed to enjoy.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 31 Aug 2014, 21:18

Has Teslagrad been uploaded to Youtube? It seems like it's missing from the lineup.

EDI: Also, Jazzpunk.
Rathkor
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Rathkor » 03 Sep 2014, 13:26

Dominic Appleguard wrote:Has Teslagrad been uploaded to Youtube? It seems like it's missing from the lineup.

EDI: Also, Jazzpunk.

Also a STALKER episode from about a month ago. August 1st. I'm behind and trying to catch up, and it's sad to see that I cant watch Alex playing STALKER, as they have been some of my favorite videos of LoadingReadyLive.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Sep 2014, 13:34

Speak for yourself. I'm about 5 months behind. I have yet to experience "Toki" or that "Zoo Race" game.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Rathkor

Postby Rathkor » 03 Sep 2014, 14:08

Hope you don't lose too much, Memo. Isn't Twitch supposed to be purging its backlogs soon?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Sep 2014, 14:28

Soon? You mean like 2 weeks ago?

Rathkor

Postby Rathkor » 04 Sep 2014, 08:29

I thought I'd read somewhere that Twitch was planning on deleting everything and only saving videos up to 2 weeks or something. Maybe I'm mistaken.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 04 Sep 2014, 09:38

Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 05 Sep 2014, 07:54

Yeah, Twitch did a big old purge recently. All the LRL content is backed up locally, though, so ultimately their Youtube uploads won't be hurt by this, or by the new Twitch policy on copyrighted audio.

So nothing will be lost, but it might take a while to become available. It's just a matter of Graham and Alex finding the time to upload them all.
CiderMuffin
First Video: Reality Tear

Postby CiderMuffin » 09 Sep 2014, 23:53

AdmiralMemo wrote:Speak for yourself. I'm about 5 months behind. I have yet to experience "Toki" or that "Zoo Race" game.

Toki is still on youtube so I suggest watching that soon as for Zoo Race that should still be on Twitch since I watched it a few nights ago.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Sep 2014, 08:42

So, are we actually dedicated to getting an Alice dress for Alex? Based on what Tally said, it might be $200. Who's up for pitching in? I'm game for maybe like $10 to $20.

If so, do we just have someone take all the money from people, pool it, then give it to Tally? Want me to do it? I'm already doing it for LRRcraft, so I know the drill.

Edit: As for the "Get the money to Tally" it should be easy enough to do the "Request Custom Order" thing on her Etsy store.

Edit 2: I think we've got about 3/4 of the money pledged. Just need a few more people and this could me a near-sure thing.

Edit 3: I think we got there. Image Yeah, let's just use my PayPal and I'll order it. :)

Edit 4: Donations coming in...
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 11 Sep 2014, 09:31, edited 2 times in total.

beowuuf
First Video: Can't remember! Binged them all so fast!

Postby beowuuf » 11 Sep 2014, 09:14

Pledge!
RebelliousUno
First Video: don't recall came after unskippable

Postby RebelliousUno » 11 Sep 2014, 09:34

Memo I'm in for like $20, where do I need to send the money to? Feel free to PM me
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Sep 2014, 10:17

We've got $130 already in. Just waiting on about $70 more. Maybe talking about it during the stream will help.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Sep 2014, 14:56

Alright... We've got $206.71 in this fund now. Let's do this! :D

romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 11 Sep 2014, 15:03

This is just another good time&place to say this: I'm such a fan of this fandom, guys.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Sep 2014, 15:22

Wat... $256.02? Seriously? LOL
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 11 Sep 2014, 15:33, edited 2 times in total.

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Sep 2014, 15:27

romangoro wrote:This is just another good time&place to say this: I'm such a fan of this fandom, guys.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 11 Sep 2014, 15:41

Oh man, I wake up to find out this has already happened? Oh well, I'll just look forward to seeing it... and if it turns out to be more expensive and you need some more, hit me up...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
CiderMuffin
First Video: Reality Tear

Postby CiderMuffin » 11 Sep 2014, 15:56

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 11 Sep 2014, 16:03

While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”