The House of Stark

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Trippzen
First Video: Unskippable

Re: The House of Stark

Postby Trippzen » 26 May 2014, 20:48

Lysander wrote:On a slightly related note, I just bought Dark Souls and I'm trying to figure out which emulator to use to get my Philips PC gamepad to work on it. Some folks say MotionJoy, others say X360ce. What are your thoughts?

I don't have any other games that require/strongly suggest a X-box controller.

Motionjoy works and is relatively simple, the only danger is that, from my understanding, it works by overwriting certain drivers. In most cases this isn't a problem though. I only had an issue with it because I tried to pair it with a wireless ps3 controller. The controller worked fine but Motionjoy wrote over the drivers for my bluetooth headphones so I couldn't use both; I ended up just buying a wired gamepad.

I use JoyToKey instead now, it lets me copy any keyboard key (or combination of keys) to any gamepad button, the downside being it's more complicated to set up. Unfortunately, I haven't reached Dark Souls in my backlog yet so I don't have a JTK profile finalized for it that I could give you.

Technically Autohotkey can be scripted the same way but that's considerably more complicated unless you're familiar with scripting and some games (typically online ones) aren't fond of people using AHK since it can also be used to automate processes (i.e. making bots).

tl;dr If you don't use bluetooth, Motionjoy works fine, but if you have an Xbox controller you can skip it for a program that caters to the controller like X360ce.
Trippzen or Scy
Battle.net: Scy#1617
WoW: Scy (US-Proudmoore)
Lysander
First Video: Daily Drop: Eggs

Postby Lysander » 27 May 2014, 07:33

I tried out X360ce and it seemed to fix the issues. But now, when I'm using the camera control it will cause my character to parry or quick-attack at seemingly random moments. Not so great when I'm trying to guard against arrows or whatnot.

And I can't figure out how to walk/sneak, but that might be from being a newbie.
ch3m1kal
First Video: Unskippable

Postby ch3m1kal » 27 May 2014, 15:24

Sounds to me like your analog sticks are being mapped as key presses and not actual analog axes.
Last edited by ch3m1kal on 27 May 2014, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 27 May 2014, 18:54

Yeah, this is a common issue.

When I tried playing Cave Story with a 360 controller, it was pretty rough and I ended up using the dpad instead of the joystick.

Which was ALSO rough because the 360 dpad is ass.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 28 May 2014, 08:32

I definitely believe that Dark Souls would have been better off with an Opt-in system for PvP. Going Human just made any segment of the game a far more stressful ordeal, knowing that I'm likely to be invaded, usually by someone much more practiced in PvP combat. I even unplugged the ethernet cable when trying to get to Sif because the forest invaders were just too much.

I get the argument that the invader system is part of the lore. Isn't that why they have NPC invaders, though?

I'm really dreading when I get around to Dark Souls 2 just because they removed the Human-requirement for invasion. I'm gonna have to set Chameleon spell all the time in that game.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 28 May 2014, 08:49

I believe (haven't played it) that Watch Dogs is using that sort of system for its "Invasions" you have to be in a queue and you either invade or are invaded.

One nice thing about DS is that to be summoned as a white or a gold phantom you do not need to be human which means that if you want to camp at a boss to get summoned for sunlight medals etc then you can do it while hollowed. I really like this as it means i'm not constantly dreading being invaded while I wait to be summoned.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Jonci

Postby Jonci » 28 May 2014, 08:55

Watch Dogs has an invasion system, where a rival "fixer" can try and steal your data and you have to kill them. Thing is that death in Watch Dogs is trivial, and even then you can opt-out in the options.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 28 May 2014, 12:05

Jonci wrote:I'm really dreading when I get around to Dark Souls 2 just because they removed the Human-requirement for invasion.
They WHAAAAAA!?
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 28 May 2014, 20:20

Well, it's more like human is the default now. And "Hollow" just means that you died and are now taking a Max HP penalty. On the plus side, you don't look like a slab of meat after leaving the character creator.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
LambMower
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby LambMower » 29 May 2014, 02:50

Graham wrote:
Jonci wrote:I'm really dreading when I get around to Dark Souls 2 just because they removed the Human-requirement for invasion.
They WHAAAAAA!?

When your hollow the chance of getting invaded is SUPER rare, like it never happens unless it's a specific event (There are some location that are homebases for covenants that will automatically summon player(s) to world), You're still mainly safe if you aren't human.

Also DS2 has actual ways to opt out out of pvp though and there's covenants where their whole thing is to summon for the support of people getting invaded etc.
Jonci

Postby Jonci » 29 May 2014, 13:49

What's the opt out? I've found info on temporarily protecting yourself from invasions, but nothing out right turning it off. Though I do like the idea of Covenants that are summoned to protected invaded players. It's funny that they have a covenant for protecting the protectors, too.
LambMower
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby LambMower » 29 May 2014, 21:22

Jonci wrote:What's the opt out? I've found info on temporarily protecting yourself from invasions, but nothing out right turning it off. Though I do like the idea of Covenants that are summoned to protected invaded players. It's funny that they have a covenant for protecting the protectors, too.

If you burn a human effigy in a bonfire it will disable all direct multiplayer interactions (not messages) for an hour, so yeah it's not right turning it off, but it's at least something.

On another note, some new stuff has been added to the LRRSouls google drive @ http://bit.ly/LRLSouls

You'll find the fancy Cammander Wooden Shield (Made by me and Daneislazy), Also the very morbid Fetus Flask and the fancy new Stark Souls main menu with music (I worked hard on that one)!
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 30 May 2014, 01:11

Thats sweet Lambmower!

Also some random facts for anyone who is interested, Domhnall of Zema, the merchant from, the depths both speaks with a Welsh accent and actually speaks Welsh, he greats wyou with the Phrase "Aye Shwmae" and Hello in Welsh is "Shwmae". Random facts!
deathjavu
First Video: First episode of unskippable

Postby deathjavu » 30 May 2014, 08:36

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that's super creeped out by the sound Frampt's teeth make as they chomp together...it got to the point that I ran straight past him as quickly as possible, to escape the sound.

Also: you can buy fireball from the pyro trainer for 800 souls. It's the cheapest pyromancy that's useful to a beginner- a ranged attack good against things weak to magic (like the ceiling blobs from the Sewers).

Also also, the weight restrictions are as follows:

Quick Roll- 0-24.9% equipment load
Normal Roll- 25-49.9% equipment load
Fat Roll - 50-99.9% equipment load
Cannot move, seriously what are you doing- over 100% equipment load

Quick roll is so insane, that it's usually not worth going over 24.9%. But it's still viable. The Elite Knight set is some really good armor.

Wooden arrows cost 3 souls vs regular arrows costing 10, and do only a tiny bit less damage (usually 2-5 damage). So generally it's a much, much better idea to buy bulk wooden arrows.

Kathleen's reaction to the mimic's is the correct one. No one likes the mimics.
Last edited by deathjavu on 30 May 2014, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
deathjavu

Postby deathjavu » 30 May 2014, 15:45

Just for a super-quick primer on weapon stat scaling:

The parameter bonuses (stat scaling) shows up as the + damage to the right. The damage column on the left is the weapon's base damage stats, without scaling. Essentially, the two circled items are linked.

Now here we see that the lightning spear with no stat scaling has nothing in the + column. However, it gets additional lightning damage.

Each monster has separate resistance stats for the different types of damage.

All you really need to know about that is, after a bunch of math, 240 physical is almost always more damage than 120 physical and 120 magical.

Lightning gets a special pass because most stuff in the game has very poor lightning resistance. Against stuff with good lightning resistance, however, 240 physical is still better than 120 physical and 120 lightning.
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 30 May 2014, 16:48

I've really been enjoying all the Dark Souls streams recently on LRL. They haven't convinced me to actually play Dark Souls but I've found it very interesting to watch. :)
deathjavu

Postby deathjavu » 30 May 2014, 18:29

Last but not least: you can upgrade your lightning spear to +5 in Anor Londo (the next area). I wouldn't save your souls for that though, because you WILL die before you get to the blacksmith.

Let's just say, if you didn't like the archer shooting at you on a narrow walkway in Sen's...you'll REALLY hate one certain part of Anor Londo, aka "the actual worst part of the game for a first time player."
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 31 May 2014, 23:29

deathjavu wrote:"the actual worst part of the game for a first time player."
There seem to be a lot of those… individuals from the the chat mention basically every part as that part for them :D
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 01 Jun 2014, 07:57

And that variation is where a lot of the communication around Dark Souls breaks down, I think, because everyone assumes other people with different builds had the same experience. As a heavy armour pyromancer build, a lot of things that drove other people crazy (such as the Anor Londo archers and the Capra Demon) only took one try.

But on the flip side, I probably spent three hours on the Taurus Demon. The hydra was a huge pain. Tomb of the Giants was torture. A lot of it just comes down to how you play, and whether how quickly you pick up the tricks for certain areas.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
deathjavu

Postby deathjavu » 01 Jun 2014, 17:58

Jamfalcon wrote:But on the flip side, I probably spent three hours on the Taurus Demon. The hydra was a huge pain. Tomb of the Giants was torture. A lot of it just comes down to how you play, and whether how quickly you pick up the tricks for certain areas.

Nobody likes Tomb of the Giants. The giant skeleton dogs telegraph poorly, particularly in the dark, they hit like stamina draining combo-trucks, all the ledges are narrow, you have to give up a shield for light unless you have the sunlight maggot...

Funnily enough, I found strong pyromancies one of the best ways to deal with the dogs- one shot them from a distance before they aggro. They do at least have small aggro ranges.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 01 Jun 2014, 19:07

I'm really looking forward to Anor Londo adventures. That's where the game really took off for me. It's gorgeous, spectacularly huge, has interesting enemies...aside from those goddamn archers and figuring out how to fight the giant statue bastards it's great.

These are both solveable problems. Well, the giant statues are anyways. I don't know if anyone has a good solution to the archers, or if they do I would REALLY like to hear it.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
ArchieO

Postby ArchieO » 02 Jun 2014, 00:43

The archers are the classic case of run at a brick wall enough times and it will fall down. Interestingly on my first play through it took me ages, on my second I got through first time, luck I suspect.

The tactic I use is this, always go round the left side of the pillar before the final run up to the archers, the one on the left won't be a be to hit you so the only one you need to worry about is the one on the right until you get up to the top. At the top sprint to the archer on the right, once you get to the end of the first section of the ledge the other archer should not be able to get you. If you are using a big weapon (EG Zweihander) smash the knight to smithereens and be on your merry way. Otherwise wait for him to get his sword out and try and kick him off the ledge. Once he is out the way just go for the bonfire and bro out with Solaire for a bit, its the first door on the left once you get inside. Hope that helps.

Side note, holy shit the Zweihander, I did my first play-through using spears and that was great, this play-through, Miracles and Zweihander and holy shit I can just smash enemies into the ground. I had to learn to parry to reliably deal with the silver knights before and now I can just heavy attack them into oblivion.
Jonci

Postby Jonci » 02 Jun 2014, 06:53

Graham wrote:
deathjavu wrote:"the actual worst part of the game for a first time player."
There seem to be a lot of those… individuals from the the chat mention basically every part as that part for them :D

I'm still amazed how quickly you got through Sen's Fortress. You missed a couple of good rings in your playthru, but you survived every part that killed me at some point in my playthru. You couldn't, at least, got hit by a single giant firebomb at the top to make me feel better?
Jonci

Postby Jonci » 02 Jun 2014, 06:57

jkefka wrote:I don't know if anyone has a good solution to the archers, or if they do I would REALLY like to hear it.

If I remember correctly, my tactic as a sorcerer was to run and hope for the best. Shield-tanking just ended up getting me knocked off.
deathjavu

Postby deathjavu » 02 Jun 2014, 07:35

jkefka wrote:I'm really looking forward to Anor Londo adventures. That's where the game really took off for me. It's gorgeous, spectacularly huge, has interesting enemies...aside from those goddamn archers and figuring out how to fight the giant statue bastards it's great.

These are both solveable problems. Well, the giant statues are anyways. I don't know if anyone has a good solution to the archers, or if they do I would REALLY like to hear it.

My solution was always to take out some of the bats from a distance, usually with arrows. Then you can run mostly unimpeded down to the bat platform, finish off any bats you left. Time the run up to the area directly behind the pillar to avoid arrows (easy enough). Wait just to the inside of the left or right walls (be careful, the arrows have just a little bit of clipping on the corners). Wait for an arrow to hit, then run around either the left or right side (mostly irrelevant which. I usually go right.) Keep running up the walkway (you won't get hit as long as you run), run to the right, roll through the arrow fired by the archer you're approaching (the other archer hits the wall at this angle), and then either parry, flatten with a heavy weapon, or kick the silver knight off the ledge.

Edit: just remembered, if you block while walking forward, the silver knight has a tendency to fall off on its own. Definitely the easiest.

Go forward and around the corner. Activate the bonfire. Breathe a sigh of relief.
Last edited by deathjavu on 02 Jun 2014, 07:46, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”