Watch + Play

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: Watch + Play

Postby Kapol » 30 Nov 2014, 18:48

sibh8ter, I know they watched that video at some point. I dunno when though... it's likely on the Youtube page. But I can't find it by searching and scrolling through hundreds of videos does not seem a wise use of time.

Also, as a question to... well, whoever knows, is monetization turned on for the Youtube replays now? I rewatched the "Air Control" episode, and there were a ton of ads scattered through it. But it was only for that video as far as I've seen.
sibh8ter
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby sibh8ter » 30 Nov 2014, 19:38

Kapol wrote:sibh8ter, I know they watched that video at some point. I dunno when though... it's likely on the Youtube page. But I can't find it by searching and scrolling through hundreds of videos does not seem a wise use of time.

Also, as a question to... well, whoever knows, is monetization turned on for the Youtube replays now? I rewatched the "Air Control" episode, and there were a ton of ads scattered through it. But it was only for that video as far as I've seen.

do you have maybe a ballpark of when where i can take a look
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 01 Dec 2014, 21:27

sibh8ter wrote:
Kapol wrote:sibh8ter, I know they watched that video at some point. I dunno when though... it's likely on the Youtube page. But I can't find it by searching and scrolling through hundreds of videos does not seem a wise use of time.

do you have maybe a ballpark of when where i can take a look

unfortunately I know for a fact that the VST upload of that vid is blocked for content. Apparently that vid's audio is like super-restricted.

EDIT: http://bit.ly/DB8Timeline <-- Day 4, line 275, 84:23 into the run. Comment from the upload team on the VST master sheet says "Muted by YouTube :(, Cannot be uploaded"
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
sibh8ter

Postby sibh8ter » 02 Dec 2014, 18:39

oh wow, i remember that part, it was late here and i fell asleep shortly after ashton started, dammit and i did the same thing with the final busdown, 30 mins to go and i fall asleep

i had to wait til it was uploaded to find out what the switch did
sibh8ter

Postby sibh8ter » 02 Dec 2014, 18:40

thanks amativeness
Canageek
First Video: I have no idea. Something in ~2005?

Postby Canageek » 12 Dec 2014, 12:21

If they are looking for more bad games to play, well, there is Deus. Remember how much Alex liked the inventory system in Alone in the Dark? Yeah, this is that taken to an extreme. http://www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-deus/

Now, if Alex would like an FPS, why not Nitro Family? I can't really sum it up, but well: "His equally badass, whip-wielding, scantily clad, Las Vegas animal trainer slash showgirl huntress wife, Maria. Who rides on his back in a specially constructed chair for the entire game, whipping the heads off anyone who gets too close." It is supposed to be brutally hard, but you've all played Dark Souls, so you are ready. http://www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-nitro-family/

What about something more famous, like Jurassic Park: Trespasser? I've seen video of it, it is um, interesting. As in, humans limbs shouldn't move like that interesting. It is a shooter, kind of thing, sort of, possibly. Hehehehe. http://www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-jurassic-park-trespasser/
Come have a look at my roleplaying blog http://canageek.wordpress.com

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Dec 2014, 19:01

Oh HONEY...Trespasser is INFAMOUS - Big Rigs Racing kind of infamous.

I imagine there's fan mods/patches out there that make the game function, but...well, it...it was breaking new ground, and not every explorer is as successful as Columbus, Magellan or Cook...
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 13 Dec 2014, 11:41

empath wrote:Oh HONEY...Trespasser is INFAMOUS - Big Rigs Racing kind of infamous.

I imagine there's fan mods/patches out there that make the game function, but...well, it...it was breaking new ground, and not every explorer is as successful as Columbus, Magellan or Cook...

Exactly! That is why it is PERFECT for Watch and Play. Can it REALLY be worse then Prayer Warriors? And if it is, isn't that what we WANT for this series?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." --Attributed to Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 13 Dec 2014, 16:51

There are many games worst than Prayer Warriors, but not all of them are as funnily bad as PW and Zoo Race. Does Trespasser have that je ne sais quoi?
Canageek

Postby Canageek » 13 Dec 2014, 17:30

It has your arm bending to point at wherever you point the cursor, regardless of annoying things like bones. I'm going with yes.

GDwarf
First Video: Unskippable

Postby GDwarf » 27 Dec 2014, 13:00

The thing about Trespasser is that it isn't bad due to lack of effort, it's bad due to biting off way, way, way more than it could chew (or the hardware at the time could handle). It tried to completely re-design first-person gaming from scratch, and simply didn't have the resources to pull it off.

I don't know that it's really Watch & Play material because of that. W&P games seem to be a different sort of terrible, generally.

Plus, isn't Trespasser really difficult to get running on modern systems?
May those who accept their fate find happiness; Those who defy it, glory!
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 05 Jan 2015, 10:55

Absolutely loved the Watch and Play on Friday! Watch and Play is probably my favourite stream you guys do, and hopefully we can see it more regularly in 2015!
CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby CaptainSpam » 07 Jan 2015, 11:11

GDwarf wrote:The thing about Trespasser is that it isn't bad due to lack of effort, it's bad due to biting off way, way, way more than it could chew (or the hardware at the time could handle). It tried to completely re-design first-person gaming from scratch, and simply didn't have the resources to pull it off.

I could swear I read somewhere that Valve said a LOT of inspiration for how the Source engine dealt with physics objects (i.e. lots of HL2 and some of its puzzles) came from Trespasser. Can't remember where I heard it, though.

The "bit off way more than it could chew" part, though, is pretty on-point, as I understand. Not just in the physics department, but also in the AI (the dinosaurs were supposed to have emotional behavior, but since they couldn't get them out of, in effect, constant crippling emotional breakdowns due to conflicting emotions, they just made them perma-aggro to get the game shipped). And the infamous meme of "your character is just a pair of breasts and a right arm, no seriously, cheat into third-person and see".
GDwarf
First Video: Unskippable

Postby GDwarf » 08 Jan 2015, 21:14

Exactly, Tresspasser had an entirely novel physics engine (at a time when the physics in most games was "objects fall towards the ground"), entirely novel enemy AI, tried to pioneer HUD-free 1st-person gaming (you checked your health by looking at a tattoo on your chest, which is an interesting, if silly, idea). The problem was that the team didn't have the manpower and expertise to even begin pulling those things off (rather like Bethesda and their grand promises about Oblivion). Never mind the fact that the games industry in general didn't have the experience to try for those novel control schemes (Your mouse movements were mapped directly to your in-game character's right arm, for example, which meant you had all the control of Surgeon Simulator) and the hardware of the time severely limited what they could actually have pulled off anyway.

I think perhaps it could make a good W&P title, actually, but in the same sort of way Unearthed did (only waaaaay buggier) rather than, say, Prayer Warriors: A studio actually trying to make something good, but having their reach far exceed their grasp.

Though I'm still pretty sure that it's nigh-impossible to get running on modern systems, and impossible to find, anyways, outside of dodgy torrents.
May those who accept their fate find happiness; Those who defy it, glory!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 07 Feb 2015, 17:24

So...that was some fun silliness...and some generic meh, and then some MORE great silliness. :D

Thank you for introducing me to Besiege, Alex - watched HPBraincase's later stream, too, and wishlisted the thing.

Then due to me working a LOT of overtime through the holidays and even now, I have money to burn in paypal...and another fan streamer mentioned they were thinking about getting Besiege.

...so I got it for them as a gift. :)

Oh, sweet creamery butter! The silliness we all had suggesting and trying mad and absurd things in this game! :shock:

My ribs hurt, and my eyes are red, and my throat is a little raspy! :)

Most fun I've had with seven dollars (and I'm old $7 got you a fair bit when I was a kid :lol: )

Thanks again for inciting so much entertainment!
Banzai_Tree
First Video: The Job

Postby Banzai_Tree » 10 Feb 2015, 02:03

May I humbly suggest Lex Mortis? A recently released game for Steam, the game originally released without a .dll file which prevented it from being played... This little tidbit should set the stage for the quality of the game. In short it's an open world horror game, although I couldn't take it seriously enough to be even nervous while watching a video of it on youtube. Said video was done by Jim Sterling, if some of you want a reference.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Feb 2015, 16:06

For suggestions, send them to Graham at [email protected] instead of posting them in order to hide them from potential Alex reveal. The less he knows, the better. It's also helpful to include where he can get it, and a video to show the game in a way to show if it's "right" for W&P.
Banzai_Tree

Postby Banzai_Tree » 11 Feb 2015, 01:10

Thank you kindly Kapol.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 14 Feb 2015, 03:32

I just finished watching the replay of the latest W+P. The sunfish game might just be the most disturbing game on the stream so far. And not in the same fun, insanity inducing way that Prayer Warriors or Zoo Race was either. That game kind of legit creeped me out at some places. All I could think of was Frontier Psychiatrist.
Banzai_Tree

Postby Banzai_Tree » 14 Feb 2015, 04:09

@Kapol So this is what is feels like to lose your mind...
Banzai_Tree

Postby Banzai_Tree » 14 Feb 2015, 04:10

@Kapol So this is what is feels like to lose your mind...
Garwulf
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Garwulf » 14 Feb 2015, 07:56

Are we absolutely SURE the Sunfish game wasn't Frog Fractions 2?
Author, Editor, Publisher, and Researcher
Read Garwulf's Corner, on Medium: https://medium.com/tag/garwulfs-corner/archive

...and please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/RobertBMarks
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 14 Feb 2015, 08:00

I think the chat agreed that we need to contact the developer of Frog Fractions to see if that is, in fact, Frog Fractions 2.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 14 Feb 2015, 08:01

Well, it predates Frog Fractions 1 by several years, so... seems unlikely.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Feb 2015, 11:57

That just makes me more convinced.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”