AFK

Discuss your favourite LRR streams!
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Re: AFK

Postby Omega Lairon » 27 Oct 2015, 11:46

Perhaps a compromise for playing MtG - don't have it as the main event that often (unless there's been a new set out recently), but they could still maybe do a quick single round of packwars or something at the start of the stream before getting into whatever game they're really playing? Also, the players in the main game would have time to set up the board and go over the rules or whatever.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 27 Oct 2015, 12:15

It all depends on the game, but I personally advise against it as it seems completely unnecessary and very contrived to me. After all, they would be setting up the game board before they start their stream, and any rules explanations would either be done before the stream or be essential during the start of the stream (in that case, you are explaining the rules to the audience, not the players).
RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby RoboNixon » 27 Oct 2015, 13:13

Betrayal at House of the Hill and Munchkin. You could also do a stream with several shorter games (Love Letter, any variant of Fluxx, Cards Against Humanity). As long as the rules can be easily explained over stream I think most games will work.

P.S. If you play Cards Against Humanity, can someone add a Skeletor's Dick card :p
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius
Twinklefeet
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby Twinklefeet » 31 Oct 2015, 09:30

I would absolutely love to see some Betrayal at House on the Hill.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 31 Oct 2015, 18:07

Munchkin and Call of Cthulhu are my suggestions.
handsongammer
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby handsongammer » 01 Nov 2015, 14:36

my suggestions for games cover a few things:

Dread ~ improv and role playing style game play mixed with a good dose of horror story telling

Dominion ~ a deck building game that can have different cards to build with in any given game. also lot's of expansions available for play

Werewolf/Mafia ~ i don't know how viable this is for you guys but it is incredibly fun to play and i find to watch

Coup ~ same vein as mafia and werewolf

The Resistance ~ same vein as mafia and werewolf

epic spell wars of the battle wizards: duel at mt. skullzfyre ~ (yes that is the full name) a fun silly little game with an amazing art style

Sheriff of Nottingham ~ fun social game involving deceit

settlers of catan ~ a pretty well known and fun game

Stone age ~ build your small village up into a civilization

forbidden desert/island ~ two fun coop games where you are playing against time

Gloom ~ a game where you want as many tragedies as possible to befall your characters before they die. but you can also cause your opponents characters to have good things happen to them. an interesting game that might be nice to have to break up the norm.

unspeakable words ~ scrabble meets Cthulhu

carcossonne with or without expansions ~ a worker placement game involving a good dose of strategy, and is quite fun to play
Mister Blue Sky
First Video: Desert Bus 8

Postby Mister Blue Sky » 01 Nov 2015, 15:21

Here's my picks.

We Didn't Playtest This At All/Fluxx: Silly card games for silly people. Playtest is a very fast game and rounds can last less than a minute. It's all about what silliness will happen. For example there is a card one can pull that says something like, "Play this if someone is about to win, they lose instead. But so do you." Or a card that decrees, every player must say "Comic Sans is Awesome" before they take their turn or they lose. Fluxx works in the same vein but also has a lot more variants in themes, and lasts generally a bit longer and is not... maybe quite as silly.

Geek Out/Superfight: Kind of a pop culture bonanza on these. Geek Out kind of works like a Trivial Pursuit-esque game with teams. A subject (like maybe recurring Doctor Who villains) is given and the teams bet on who can come up with more instances of the thing on the card, if they do manage to name as many as they said they could they get points, if not they lose points. In Superfight people try and win an argument about who would win in a fight between two characters with varying modifiers, such as "is wearing really tight clothes", or "is armed with a night stick". This one could be really fun because chat could vote on who wins based on the arguments. Also there are a wide variety of themed decks like one specifically devoted to anime.

Cutthroat Caverns/Munchkin: These are basically where you are all a group of adventurers going into a dungeon trying to get as much loot as you can and get out alive. There can be temporary alliances to help one another get ahead or screw over whoever is in the lead, which makes to a lot of fun.

Tragedy Looper: This is probably my #1 pick of the bunch. It's not something most people have SEEN so it would be a really unique pick if nothing else. I would sell this as something like the plot of a Persona game but with a time loop mechanic. 3 people play as protagonists trying to stop some kind of "tragedy" from happening by gathering clues and figuring out systematically what it is and trying to prevent it. All while a "mastermind" player maneuvers around trying to make sure the tragedy DOES happen as well as (probably) trying to mislead and misdirect the protagonists to make them waste "loops" on a wild goose chase. The good guys get a certain amount of loops of the day before they "lose". It's really clever, really fun, and I would totally (temporarily) donate my copy if they wanted.

Cash N Guns: This is like... Reservoir Dogs if it was a family friendly board game? Kind of? You're all a bunch of robbers fighting over loot. There are foam guns, it's great. I think people would love it. I honestly do. Once you get the basic concepts down then they also have it where you can add "roles" into it to deepen the complexity and make it more interesting.

Boss Monster: Essentially you play as the final boss of a dungeon and your job is to build out your dungeon and lure adventurers into it and NOT your opponents dungeons so that you can kill them through the use of traps and spells so as to take their souls.

Machine of Death: This fits in with the next 2 as a kind of "improv/story telling" game, however I liked this one more than those. So you play assassins out to kill a target, however in this game there exists the "Machine of Death" that can tell you how someone will die. Your job is to kill your target in a way that "fits" with the prediction given by the machine. HOW it fits is up to the player to come up with based on the cards/equipment/situation they're given. Definitely take a look at this one.

Tales of the Arabian Nights/Once Upon A Time: These are "story telling" games. You all might really really enjoy them. These are definitely NOT the same every time you play them. There's a lot of improv potential in these. Something to look at.
Imat
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby Imat » 03 Nov 2015, 15:38

If they have played it before, I would love to see Arkham Horror (I personally prefer it to Eldritch, which just doesn't give you enough time to play the game). If they have never played it, I would not want to watch unless they had someone in the room or in the chat who has played it extensively. It is very complex, and would be a little painful to watch (I cringe thinking about my first games).

In the same vein as Hero Quest, I would love to see Descent (1st edition preferably, though I'd be fine with either). It seems like it is a more thought out version of Hero Quest, with better balancing, more variety, and more stuff for players, including the overlord, to do every turn, so less downtime and 'wasted' turns. 1st edition had more of an emphasis on atomic quests, where there was an overarching story but every quest was designed to be played as a standalone thing.

I would also love to see Gloom/Betrayal/Dead of Winter/etc, the more story-oriented games.

And Magic, though that can be placed on the back-burner for awhile.
Therberus
First Video: LRR on the escapist

Postby Therberus » 05 Nov 2015, 11:47

I suggest Dungeon Fighter ! It's a really fun game where players join forces to beat a evil dungeon, with the twist that you use dice to kill monsters.

By "use" dice I mean throw them at a target...

And by "throw" I mean hand-under leg, on one foot, back to the table etc etc etc :D

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/102 ... on-fighter
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 06 Nov 2015, 13:23

In keeping with card games, there's also Smash Up. It's a blast, and I don't just mean because it has bear-riding communists and cyborg dinosaurs.
Mothra Fighter
First Video: Ways to Survive the Recession

Postby Mothra Fighter » 09 Nov 2015, 15:12

Related to Hero Quest, because it's another board game done by Milton Bradley with Games Workshop, is Battle Masters. Assuming one can find it with all the figures intact.

It's a strategy game set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe and features miniatures that basically act as a starter set for different Warhammer Fantasy armies. Speaking of, there are two armies. One is a combination of Orcs, Goblins, and Chaos and the other is basically The Empire, including a cannon. They square off against each other for ultimate victory on a "battle mat". Movement and actions, meanwhile, are determined by a deck of cards, rather than being turn based.

Otherwise, honestly, any of the games featured on Geek & Sundry's Tabletop would be cool to see LRR play.
Giuchie, giuchie, ya ya dada. - Abraham Lincoln, probably
PMAvers
First Video: DB4

Postby PMAvers » 21 Nov 2015, 16:32

Something interesting that just popped up on my radar recently is Mafia de Cuba. It's interesting since it's a hidden role game, but you actually get to pick what role you're playing as instead of getting thrust into a role you might not be comfortable with.

It'd probably be a good excuse to bust out fake mustaches as well. The Shut up and Sit Down crew have things to say about it.
bv310
First Video: EVERYTHING IS FINE

Postby bv310 » 03 Dec 2015, 09:44

I would love to see them play Arena of the Planeswalkers. Enough MTG content to appeal to that crowd, but it's a more fun game to watch people play.
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 12 Dec 2015, 19:43

Alex and Meren were meant for each other, going by tonight's stream.
MagisterMystax
First Video: The Innistrad hat draft on MTGO academy

Postby MagisterMystax » 13 Dec 2015, 07:42

And the Cammander sweeps another Magic Crossing the Streams! Here's a relevant Stolen Jokes.
I stream video games every friday at 19:00 GMT, at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax
The Martini
First Video: Installing Linux

Postby The Martini » 14 Dec 2015, 09:05

The Commander game was great, and the exhibition CanLander was pretty crazy! Loved it.

The overlay and the face cams worked well. I knew that the podcast set was not large, but seeing that it's costumes and walls literally inches past where the camera shot usually ends really reinforced that. I assume Moonbase Delta will be much less cramped and I bet they can't wait.
Gin. Vermouth. Olives.
Wooglie
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Wooglie » 18 Jan 2016, 08:23

I liked last nights AFK MtG stream, but I think you need to get the players to keep track of the live totals as well as whoever is on engineering.
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 19 Jan 2016, 12:55

I just want to say mad props for the quickness with which the AFK Pre-Prereleas whent up on Youtube, staying up to watch the AFK Streams are not always feasible with the time zone I live in, but it does make me wonder have the Commander game been lost in the deepth's of the editing mines?
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 20 Jan 2016, 21:15

Having just finished watching the LRR Commander game over on Youtube I just had to pop back here to say it was everything I was hoping for, and the three rounds bonus Highlander was just the very best of gravy!
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
Bergie

Postby Bergie » 24 Jan 2016, 21:12

Alas, as one of those who thinks the other half dozen MTG-related things you do is sufficient already, I was disappointed to see another AFK Magic stream. Sorry, but it was immediately shut down and hoping for something else next time.

I know it is a core money earner for you guys and don't begrudge you doing it, but I find watching MTG the equivalent to paint drying.
Bergie

Postby Bergie » 30 Jan 2016, 11:16

Probably should go on the Crossing the Streams thread, but Yay Boardgames! I like Roborally and am glad you guys played it!!
RustenSkurk
First Video: The Bee Team

Postby RustenSkurk » 11 Feb 2016, 02:52

I found it a bit difficult to follow the game when the crew played Heroquest and Roborally. So I would love to see them play games with more of a storytelling element to them like Betrayal At The House On The Hill, Gloom or Dead of Winter. That way even if you find it difficult to follow the mechanics it could be entertaining.

On a different note, considering many of the crew are fans of Terry Pratchett I can recommend the Ankh-Morpork board game. It's a great game even for people who don't know the books.
MagisterMystax
First Video: The Innistrad hat draft on MTGO academy

Postby MagisterMystax » 11 Feb 2016, 04:28

I found Roborally a little hard to follow too, but I think that was mainly because the robots all looked very similar on camera, so I kept mixing them up. I think that problem could be easily prevented by colour-coding them in the future, which could be as simple as putting a small sticker of different colours on each one.
I stream video games every friday at 19:00 GMT, at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Feb 2016, 13:59

I think it was worse with Roborally due to the fact that direction mattered. I could figure out who was who based on position. But I found it wasy (edit: Apparently wasy is how I say 'was easy') to forget which way they were all pointing.

That said, I still enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind seeing it again. It was quite a bit of fun.
Last edited by Kapol on 16 Feb 2016, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 16 Feb 2016, 15:39

Ya, next time we do roborally, I think we will use custom tokens that are different colors and have an easy to see direction arrow. The figures are cool, but they don't really work from the overhead angle.

Return to “LoadingReadyRun Streams”