Correctors Commentary - Sunshine

Discuss Alex and Cam's new series where they talk over movies
Graham
Super Moderator

Correctors Commentary - Sunshine

Postby Graham » 26 Aug 2015, 08:17

Join Cameron and Mia as they go in depth with Danny Boyle's 2007 film, Sunshine.
Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Re: Correctors Commentary - Sunshine

Postby Amake » 26 Aug 2015, 12:34

Well I learned to enjoy a new movie today.

Maybe will have more to add after I've enjoyed it and then watched the commentary again. . .
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 26 Aug 2015, 13:03

I unabashedly love Sunshine a whole hell of a lot, perhaps especially because of that amazing, gripping, moving third act. I've never understood people's criticisms of it. So I'm glad to find a few more people who are on the same page. Love, love, love this movie.

On that note, there's probably not been enough episodes to judge, but I think I enjoy the episodes where you guys clearly love the movie to bits and just gush over it the entire time. There's just something very nice about sitting and watching a movie and listening to people talk in very intelligent, intricate terms about their love for a movie. It's an antidote to so much of the cynicism and snarky dismissal you often find in online film criticism. Now, that's not to say I didn't enjoy watching Prometheus (deservedly) get torn a new one, but I think I just enjoy the commentaries where you guys are clearly enjoying yourselves, not where you're angry and despairing. I did also enjoy the measured give-and-take of the Aliens Special Edition discussion, though.

Also, yeah, more Corrector's Commentary, please? That'd be cool. You guys are brilliant at this commentary biz.
Unas
First Video: can't recall

Postby Unas » 26 Aug 2015, 15:46

Really enjoyed watching this again. Had only watched it when it came out and didn't pick up on nearly as much as I did this time around.

Watched it when you announced the Corrector's Commentary yesterday and now again with your commentary. Really enjoyed your insights and the clarity with which you communicated them. Quite a few things I hadn't picked up on that really add to the film's underlying ideas, so thanks for shining your light (eh eh) on those!

Like Thysane said, these are lovely and just very good, so if there's opportunity, any more of these would be so great. Thoroughly enjoy listening to and learning from them. I imagine they're quite time consuming, though.
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 27 Aug 2015, 22:24

I've always seen this as a religious related movie, with Pinbacker destroying the first mission and trying to stop the second, 'cos he got religion. Nice to hear someone else pick up that theme and not harp on about the terrible physics in this (which a lot of people seem to do).

Thysane wrote:There's just something very nice about sitting and watching a movie and listening to people talk in very intelligent, intricate terms about their love for a movie.

I'd be remiss if I didn't point people at the (renamed) School of Movies podcast, in which they have extremely long discussions about movies they love.
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 28 Aug 2015, 03:02

ritchards wrote:I'd be remiss if I didn't point people at the (renamed) School of Movies podcast, in which they have extremely long discussions about movies they love.

Hell yeah. Adding it to the list. I'd also recommend people check out The Canon, which features in-depth, intelligent discussions of both classic and recent movies in a kind of for-and-against manner. Even when the hosts vehemently disagree on a particular movie (which is often), they both present their arguments so well and in such a nuanced fashion, it's always a good listen.

Back to Sunshine - yeah, the religious/mythological/metaphysical aspect is probably my favourite reading of this film. The Sun has such an overbearing, all-encompassing presence in the movie. And people that harp on about terrible physics in films really bug me. I'm a big science nerd myself, but criticising a film based on its science is incredibly boring and reductive.

On that note, I love the spinning payload sequence with all the crazy camera trickery and gonzo gravity shenanigans - Cillian Murphy standing up and looking *up* the cube to Pinbacker looking over the edge is just such a great bit of surreal sci-fi madness.
OneirosGolem
First Video: Checkpoint - Blizzard of Cash

Postby OneirosGolem » 30 Aug 2015, 22:05

The best part to me about Corrector's Commentary is getting all the themes of the movie pointed out. I wouldn't have caught explicitly how Pinbacker is sort of this transformed angel of wrath, or really understood (thematically) why he was killing the crew of Icarus 2 beyond just being Insane.

As a semi-personal note, I've never been able to stomach the character archetype that Mace exemplifies. In that they are quick to action and highly competent, but also seem to revel in their lack of empathy/emotion and don't really respect the viewpoints of the people around them. (The scene with the 'vote' for him to execute Trey was spelling out this contrast) It's not a Bad Character or anything it's just one that I've seen used as though that person is a shining hero and I always just feel a little disgusted by them.
unknowngamer

Postby unknowngamer » 31 Aug 2015, 15:34

I'm glad that this movie was chosen, because I otherwise might not have seen it and it really is great in pretty much every aspect.

Because this is the first episode since Prometheus, I can't help but make comparisons to the criticisms leveled at that movie.

The one that sticks out the most to me is that Cam and Mia both applaud the fact that the heroes don't survive, when in most other movies they would have survived. While I agree that it fits this story perfectly, Cam had said in Prometheus that the heroic sacrifice is entirely played out and is one of the major failings of it and The Matrix series.

One other thing I noticed is the inconsistent sympathy for the injuries the protagonists face. Yes, Shaw doing anything in the third act after having a vivisection is hilariously dumb, but what Capa does isn't much more believable.

I very much agree with the appraisals of both movies being commentated on, but a lot of what is being said gets coloured by the feelings of the movie as a whole.

I did have one beef with the movie itself though. I felt that the conflict with Pinbacker was not resolved in a very fulfilling way. I do love the way he is presented, and he does feel adequately set up, but the way he's dealt with in the end just feels disappointing. Cassie just sitting there passively until he's vulnerable, and then him essentially walking off set after just felt too open ended for me. I know the end result is the same, and I can't really figure out a scenario where he is properly dealt with that doesn't devolve into tropey horror cliches, but still. I think the reason it sticks out to me so much is because Pinbacker doesn't really change the direction of the plot. Even before he sabotages the airlock and gets aboard, they still didn't have enough O2 for everyone to make it. Mace made it abundantly clear that he'll do whatever it takes to ensure that the mission succeeds. Everyone aboard was doomed the instant they made for the Icarus 1. I realize that Pinbacker is responsible for that as well, but it's far less direct than what he does with the crew once he shows up proper.

Anyways, the tl;dr is that no movie is perfect, and no criticisms are perfect, especially my own.

I do want to say, between Correctors Commentary, Movies with Mikey, and Really That Good, I'm really falling in love with great cinema again.
Mono_Snorsh
First Video: .

Postby Mono_Snorsh » 02 Sep 2015, 17:05

Literally every thing about Sunshine was done badly, but the commentary was interesting. So... congratulations.

Return to “Corrector's Commentary”