Magnum Rewatch 24 - Wave Goodbye

Kathleen and Graham guide you through 1980s action awesomeness.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Magnum Rewatch 24 - Wave Goodbye

Postby Kathleen » 18 Aug 2015, 00:10

When Magnum's friend Kacy is murdered, he'll stop at nothing to solve the case. Meanwhile Kathleen becomes fixated on a particularly thick beard.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: Magnum Rewatch 24 - Wave Goodbye

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Aug 2015, 02:44

I was very distracted by the repeated mispronunciation of "pidgin" during that part of the podcast. Otherwise, it was great! :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

BarcodeReader
First Video: Arms Race
Location: The lowest, deepest, darkest, SE-most corner of Iowa.

Postby BarcodeReader » 18 Aug 2015, 03:30

Yeah, pronounced "Pigeon" as in Pigeon English. I've only heard it in the context of white people insulting poc's thick accents, so it was cool to hear that's not exclusively the usage.

"Great Paul's Bunyan, he's strong as an Ox!"
"But I have no horns... Or lumberjack friends..."

(Art by http://tominalley.deviantart.com/)
Moussefilledkitten
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Moussefilledkitten » 18 Aug 2015, 07:19

Yeah, "pidgin" is pronounced with a soft "g". It is a term for a first generation language mixture that comes from two cultures mixing, normally. Not a truly unique language, but a mixture. It doesn't have the grammar markers and hallmarks of a language that can be learned natively, it's more like a constructed language because it's developed by adults. The children of pidgin speakers (because language centers of brains are amazing, especially in the young) will develop and learn a more sophisticated version of the language. In fact, as long as they start with the same pidgin, isolated children will actually create the same new natural language without interacting with each other. The languages that children create from pidgins are called "creoles". The most famous of this for the US is Louisiana Creole, which started as a pidgin of French and various African languages. So a pidgin isn't a creole, as creoles are natural languages whereas pidgins are always a constructed language that is the intermediate step before a creole.

My fun random linguistics lecture of the day.
Muspel
First Video: EVERYTHING IS FINE

Postby Muspel » 18 Aug 2015, 18:54

AdmiralMemo wrote:I was very distracted by the repeated mispronunciation of "pidgin" during that part of the podcast. Otherwise, it was great! :)

I loudly and reflexively yelled "Pigeon!" every time Graham said it, to the immense confusion of the people near me.
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 18 Aug 2015, 20:44

I liked the whole "good cop, bad cop" routine that the cops were playing throughout this episode, and because of the trope it completely threw me off who the killer was. I really like these call-backs to the pilot, first the uzi a few episodes back, and now Rick's drug history...seems like Donald P. Bellisario wasn't going to let the producers tell them what the canon was, since he wrote all those epsidoes.

I enjoyed this episode, felt like another good mystery investigation episode which Magnum needs more of. Though when you said the officer was 'in the bar doing actual work' it is heavily implied at multiple points in the episode that he is an alcholic and goes to the bar to drink during his shift. Until the reveal I had assumed that grumpy cop was the killer having done so when drunk.

---------------------------------------------------
Quick Count Update:
Rating: 8/10

Murder Count: 8 (+0)
That's Racist Count: 6.75 (+0)
Different Era Count: 8 (+1)
4th Wall Breaks: 17 (+0)

Dif Era: Cocaine is just a light drug
7SecondsLeft
First Video: Checkpoint on PATV

Postby 7SecondsLeft » 18 Aug 2015, 22:13

DaMage wrote:I enjoyed this episode, felt like another good mystery investigation episode which Magnum needs more of. Though when you said the officer was 'in the bar doing actual work' it is heavily implied at multiple points in the episode that he is an alcholic and goes to the bar to drink during his shift. Until the reveal I had assumed that grumpy cop was the killer having done so when drunk.

Yes, that was the impression I got as well, I was very (pleasantly) surprised to find out it was the other one.

As for the cop car thing at the end, I assumed that grumpy cop drove there separately so he could secretly listen in to good cop's confession. I'm not sure good cop would have been quite so open if grumpy cop had said "Go talk with Magnum, I'm just going to hide behind this bush for a few minutes" ;)

(Also, we call that "Persona 4" kind of spoiler / twist an "M Night", as in the simple fact of knowing that there is one is enough to tell you exactly what it is going to be *cough*he's dead*cough*)
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 19 Aug 2015, 00:00

And talking of Wings Hauser, you can check out his performances in Mutant
http://www.rifftrax.com/mutant
and Nightmare at Noon
http://www.rifftrax.com/nightmare-at-noon

(...the urls might be a subtle clue as to how well that's gonna go down...)
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 19 Aug 2015, 02:44

To be fair, it's not like pigeon looks like it should be pronounced "pigeon" either.

Otherwise moosefilledkitten said what I came to say.
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 19 Aug 2015, 02:45

Moosefilledkitten? Moussefilledkitten? Not sure either is better.
7SecondsLeft
First Video: Checkpoint on PATV

Postby 7SecondsLeft » 19 Aug 2015, 03:37

VectorZero wrote:Moosefilledkitten? Moussefilledkitten? Not sure either is better.

I'm not a kitten, but I know I'd much rather be filled up with chocolate pudding than a giant elk - those antlers look distinctly uncomfortable!
VJBrowning
First Video: Phailhaus - 8

Postby VJBrowning » 19 Aug 2015, 18:05

Thumbs up for excessive beard discussion. I vote yes on beard talk.
It's that guy that writes those things!
Moussefilledkitten
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Moussefilledkitten » 20 Aug 2015, 06:57

VectorZero wrote:Moosefilledkitten? Moussefilledkitten? Not sure either is better.

Well, it was named after my kitten who at the time kept gorging himself on my chocolate mousse. And then throwing up. I actually would say that moose meat would probably have been better for his digestion.
LordSky
First Video: fav: hot sauce

Postby LordSky » 25 Aug 2015, 12:22

I think when the Magnum was roughing up the bartender. He said that Gary "deals in grass... a little snow. Nothing too heavy." I think he meant that he was not a big time drug dealer at the Walter White the-later-years level. More of a common street dealer who sells to a few friends for beer money. That is much different than saying cocaine is a "nothing heavy" class of drug.

Just my two cents.

Return to “Magnum Rewatch”