Fight the Future 06 - The Tripods Saga Vol. 1

Dan and Paul take an in-depth look at the worlds portrayed Young Adult dystopian fiction.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Fight the Future 06 - The Tripods Saga Vol. 1

Postby Paul » 08 Jun 2015, 11:46

Two legs good, three legs better! What appears to be the sleepy olde English countryside is actually a future ruled over by giant metal monsters, mind-controlling the population with skull implants. Dan and Paul follow 13-year-olds Will and Henry as they set out towards the Alps, in our coverage of The White Mountains and When the Tripods Came by John Christopher.
Daniel
First Video: The first one

Re: Fight the Future 06 - The Tripods Saga Vol. 1

Postby Daniel » 08 Jun 2015, 14:04

This is a good one folks! Youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnGUH9whk_0

Next episode is A Boy and His Dog, the 1975 film based on the Harlan Ellison short story!
Daniel

Postby Daniel » 08 Jun 2015, 14:54

Lots of thanks to our special guest, Dylan Rose! Look for more guests in the future!
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 08 Jun 2015, 23:07

When talking about how the tripods arrived, it reminded me of the Doctor Who episode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_ ... tor_Who%29) where a similar thing happens. In that one, billions of small cubes appear globally, but takes years before finally trying to invade, at which point they have managed to get into all parts of the world.
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 08 Jun 2015, 23:29

Hearing about how the tripods took control I feel that they could have done it so much easier. For one assuming they have advanced alien technology they never really had to appear on earth, They could have done stuff from orbit or some kind of advanced cloaking ect. Also mind control through a TV show seems kinda silly. Why not say install an emitter into every piece of electronics, One that emits it's mind control waves or whatever in such a way that it's masked by the natural electromagnetic radiation that all electronics emit. Then just wait a few years until this subconscious message sits in people mind and then come down. At that point pretty much anyone in the first world countries will, thinking it's of their own volition, be like "hey these tri-pods are pretty cool. Let's let them run things". The only people to resist will be those in less developed countries that are not often around electronics. And the more advanced first world countries would probably easily be able to overpower them.

I mean I know why they don't, theirs not much of a story their. Some kid in England goes about his normal life until the tri-pods come and then is like "oh hey this is fine" the end.
Daniel

Postby Daniel » 09 Jun 2015, 10:02

Whoops, next episode is actually The Hunger Games, book and movie! (A Boy and his Dog is the one after)

Interesting thoughts, @DaMage and @Eric the Orange! There are indeed ways that you would think you could pull off a slow, mind control invasion more subtly. The metal war machines on stilts seem a little maladaptive on further thought - perhaps they were designed for a different kind of planet or different kind of warfare.
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 09 Jun 2015, 17:27

Loved these books (well, the original 3) when I was younger! Thanks for reminding me of their existence :D
TheGeek
First Video: FridayNights

Postby TheGeek » 10 Jun 2015, 21:40

Great episode guys. Can hardly wait for the rest of the Tripod Saga.
Oli
First Video: Feed dump

Postby Oli » 23 Jun 2015, 14:01

I read these when I was like 10 but I had forgot so much that I HAD TO stop the pod cast find them buy them and reread... Thanks for that.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 11 Jul 2015, 02:29

I remember reading these in elementary school... I might have to give them another read through so I can actually remember what they're about.
Daniel

Postby Daniel » 14 Jul 2015, 14:13

@Oli and @SixFootTurkey, then we've done our work!
mutant_pie
First Video: Check Point

Postby mutant_pie » 25 Aug 2015, 20:51

Paul & Dan, thanks for creating enjoyable & thought provoking podcasts! Also, I'm sure that some of your younger audience members appreciate that you are offering Young Adult fiction, but never talk down to that potential audience. For this service I think that you should be up for some sort of public service award. You are promoting literature after all.

Like some others here, I think I"m going to have to find and read this series.

BTW back in (IIRC) the early 1980's Boy's Life magazine published a serialized version of the first book in a one page comicbook format.

Return to “Fight the Future”