Fight the Future 11 - Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Dan and Paul take an in-depth look at the worlds portrayed Young Adult dystopian fiction.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Fight the Future 11 - Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Postby Paul » 17 Aug 2015, 09:19

The world is covered in deadly mould forests filled with giant carnivorous insects, but luckily Nausicaa has the wind to protect her! This week, Dan and Paul are joined by Ian to talk about the early Hayao Miyazaki film, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.
BarcodeReader
First Video: Arms Race
Location: The lowest, deepest, darkest, SE-most corner of Iowa.

Re: Fight the Future 11 - Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Postby BarcodeReader » 17 Aug 2015, 11:07

Warriors of the Wind was actually the first Ghibli related anything that I saw when I was younger, so I still have something of a soft spot for it. Despite the all-star cast of the newer dub, I found it to be more distracting than enriching, with the obvious exception of Patrick Stewart. While the script chopped the original Japanese to barely recognizable ribbons, all of the old dub actors had an surprising amount of sincerity, even with the doofy high-pitched princess stereotype voice. But I much prefer watching with subs over either.

"Great Paul's Bunyan, he's strong as an Ox!"
"But I have no horns... Or lumberjack friends..."

(Art by http://tominalley.deviantart.com/)
Psithief
First Video: Unknown

Postby Psithief » 18 Aug 2015, 03:02

This is the first podcast that I've listened to and I had this mental image of Ian talking to a two-headed Saunders troll.

I bet the other podcasts sound like Paul talking to himself. Funny.

I guess I'd better go listen to them so I can comment on how this one compares to the rest, thus gaining the ability to contribute constructively to this thread. *wishes self luck*
I sure enjoy watching LRR!

I wouldn't want to meet them though. I'm very allergic to cats and fun.
Zyme
First Video: The Job

Postby Zyme » 18 Aug 2015, 11:23

As the son of someone in the newspaper bussiness, most papers are made from sawdust. So most papers come from the leftovers of lumber mills.
Daniel
First Video: The first one

Postby Daniel » 18 Aug 2015, 15:18

Youtube link to this ep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAJWie9vXGA

NEXT WEEK: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire!

@Psithief How dare you call us a troll sir! @Zyme you have solved Ian's dilemma - he need simply find a bunch of sawdust!

Some interesting bits of info in the youtube comments:
- "the manga did indicate that the gliders and similar technology predated the Seven Days of Fire. In all likelihood, most non-medieval technology is salvaged goods."
- "the God Warriors were indeed (at least partially) responsible for the pollution that the Sea of Corruption is weeding out, as they emit enough radiation that prolonged exposure can be lethal"
- " pegitite got conquered by the tomekians. they took the soldier. then the pegite lured the ohm into their own capital to drive out the tomekians."

Return to “Fight the Future”