Phone Manner

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
A Model Worker

Re: Phone Manner

Postby A Model Worker » 14 Dec 2009, 20:11

I can't help but think this should have been the first episode to be aired on The Escapist.

Then again, that might seem like you are putting on airs.

But you can't discount that it might help new people get wind of your video.
Last edited by A Model Worker on 14 Dec 2009, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
Processing the hell out of your natural language since 2008
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 14 Dec 2009, 20:13

I realize there was some farting, and I think it started out well enough but uh, where were the jokes?

The entire thing seemed to lead up to one single underwhelming joke. There were some gags mixed in there, like the company telling it's employees to fart at people, the pretty funny proposed solution, and the fart training, but it seemed really lacking.

I usually am pretty excited to watch a new video from you guys but the scene where hes talking to his boss just lost my attention completely without me even realizing it.

I'm honestly confused, I feel like I'm teetering on some kind of cliff and I'm not entirely sure what to do. I can't really say it was bad but I just can't like it. I do appreciate the irony of the entire thing like a company condoning their employees fart, and the farter getting farted on by someone rejecting his proposal but it just wasn't very funny to me.

I realize people will say that humor is subjective, and it is, but despite that I still feel like something was missing here.
Mercenary

Postby Mercenary » 14 Dec 2009, 20:38

This vid though it didnt make me laugh outright did bring a smile to my face.

Also it reminds of worst day ever.
reptile

Postby reptile » 14 Dec 2009, 20:45

tfaironpirate wrote:Ha, anyone else get to thinking that Graham and Paul in commodoreHustle may have been talking about this upon saying "Like, a really wet fart, that just goes on"

Yeah, I know, not really.

I certainly thought of "The Longest Fart" all through this. (Which was the name the cH version of LRR gave to that video.) "One that goes on for like a minute" indeed.

I thought it was ok. The humor comes not from the farts themselves but from the reversal of expectations when we find that they're in a world where this behavior is accepted/encouraged/rewarded (sort of like Crime and Punishment). Still, like the poop thing in Hustle, I can understand if the farts themselves cause some people to not like it as well as they might have. (I'll admit to being a bit turned off by them, although I see the humor too.)
White Flame

Postby White Flame » 14 Dec 2009, 20:48

HAHAHAHAH! You really captured the office environment and decision making process well. I also love that you didn't overexplain the last "phone call"; while watching (and laughing) I was seeing 2 ways the ending could go, and you definitely chose the right one. :)
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 14 Dec 2009, 20:52

Oh man high brow fart jokes that's a hard one to pull off... It's interesting how we have such mixed views on this video among the community... I have one complain this video reminded me of when I got turned down for positions and it made me slightly depressed. aww now I need to go have some ice cream to cheer me up...
^( " )^
winner!
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 14 Dec 2009, 20:53

Farting is not funny, but this video is. That is all I have to say.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 14 Dec 2009, 20:55

Loading ready run has now turned into Terrance and Phillip.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 14 Dec 2009, 21:04

Oh man, didn't see this one coming. Smelt it though. Wow. Also, anyone, who would like to express their rejection of the humour in this LRR video may call 555-0577

Now, while I do agree that a nice long fart is funny, it's would have been even better to cap it off with one or two of those nice high-pitched pinched off farts.
Last edited by It's My Delorean on 14 Dec 2009, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 14 Dec 2009, 21:05

Bananafish wrote:I realize there was some farting, and I think it started out well enough but uh, where were the jokes?

You don't find "Will we be seeing an increased burrito budget?" or "Without any additional ground beef—" funny in any way?

You know... sometimes it's not about "jokes", it's about clever dialogue.
This wasn't "building to a punchline." I don't consider the Chairman's fart a "punchline," that was just how it ended.
The humour was the conversations throughout.

If you didn't find it funny, then it's not your kind of humour. That's all.
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 14 Dec 2009, 21:12

A Model Worker wrote:I can't help but think this should have been the first episode to be aired on The Escapist.

Then again, that might seem like you are putting on airs.

But you can't discount that it might help new people get wind of your video.

Now, now. Here on the LoadingReadyRun Forums, we strive for depth and variety in our puns. Those puns... fell flat, to tell the truth. Didn't make much of a bang. Gas in a bag, so to speak. Now, perhaps you intended them to take us like a silent killer, and it does, to the wary punster with his nose in the air, but they could be so much more remarkable! Now, I know that there's a myth in criticism that "he who smelt it, dealt it", but I am hoping that we could be more mature about this.

I mean, you have no reason to keep it all in, you know. Let your creativity emanate outward so we may all appreciate the unique fragrance of your discourse. So make noise! Raise a little stink! You'll feel better.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 14 Dec 2009, 21:13

Graham wrote:
Bananafish wrote:I realize there was some farting, and I think it started out well enough but uh, where were the jokes?

You don't find "Will we be seeing an increased burrito budget?" or "Without any additional ground beef—" funny in any way?

This wasn't "building to a punchline." I don't consider the Chairman's fart a "punchline," that was just how it ended.

Honestly now, if you didn't think that Alex's character actually supporting Graham's farting was funny then you, my friend, know nothing of comedy.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 14 Dec 2009, 21:17

Graham wrote:

Forgot about that line, it was pretty funny. It must just be me then, I don't really find fart jokes that funny to begin with. I can see how other people would like it though.
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 14 Dec 2009, 21:20

It is definitely... interesting.
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 14 Dec 2009, 21:20

I feel I should point out that I have never, to my recollection, laughed at a fart joke prior to this evening.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
Feltic
First Video: CH episode 5 or 6

Postby Feltic » 14 Dec 2009, 21:55

What... the... crap.

I'm not sure how to begin, I didn't laugh watching the video, but so, so many of the lines when recalled get smile if not a chuckle. That was a very well done sketch, great dialogue. And yeah 'Noise to Smell Ratio' that one will keep me chuckling for days.
-Feltic

'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do.'
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 14 Dec 2009, 22:11

like most people here, a little too low brow for my taste, but clever writing.
two bums up. that's right.
barnaby36

Postby barnaby36 » 14 Dec 2009, 22:24

The belch certainly reminded me of the one from The Neverhood. Best little easter egg ever. It disgusts my friends every time.

Ben
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 14 Dec 2009, 22:30

Meh. It was fairly clever I guess, but it just didn't do it for me. It's not even that I lost interest or anything like it has been with other videos I'm not so fond of. I just didn't really like it.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 14 Dec 2009, 23:22

Maybe I'm just an immature twat when it comes to humour compared to a lot of people here.. But god that was great. Graham's faces are just so well done and the fact that Alex and Graham are quite honestly my two favourite LRR members kinda guides my overall view too.

I also absolutely adore the lone desk with the phone as it slowly zooms in, then BAM! Fart noises commence! Then the reaction to the phone's smell? Classic.. Go 90 seconds of farting~!

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered on my second play-through, Graham's realization face after the wrap and soda.. Again, brilliant. I swear you're an improv machine, Graham. The new Ryan Stiles?
Last edited by MattAn on 14 Dec 2009, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 14 Dec 2009, 23:25

:(
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 15 Dec 2009, 00:56

Graham wrote:

Personally, I am in love. And this is going to be the last post I make for a while before I go into lurking while working on my epic 1337 post, so I will explain why.

Dialogue was brilliant, working from the simple idea of "take your normal office conversation and slip in something mad".

The acting was very nicely done as it would be easy to go over the top with this, which would be awful and you could just as well hold a card to the screen reading "Fartz iz funneh" in crayon. But Graham and Alex played off each other nicely, and it was closer to Rowan Atkinson than Jim Carrey.

The subject of farts? I don't get why people get all snooty about it. Please. So people can make innuendo/double entendre about pretty much any other bodily function, but farting is nasty? I laughed at the recurring commodoreHustle pooping letters gag, I laughed at this. Yes, it may be childish, but what's wrong with that? Silliness is the forerunner of long-lasting comedy, and if you don't like it, I have one thing to say to you.

To Mister Graham Stark: You have done Spike Milligan proud.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
WeedyPirate
First Video: How to talk like a pirate

Postby WeedyPirate » 15 Dec 2009, 01:13

I never usually find fart jokes funny, but for some reason Graham and Alex making fart jokes was funny... I think it was because there was more going on that just a silly fart joke, sort of Classy fart jokes...

^.-

I laughed hard when he was practising for the 90 seconds and had the lap timings on his phone.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 15 Dec 2009, 01:18

So, is that just how the Chairman communicates? Is that why farting is so important in this company? Because thats how the Chairman expresses himself at all times? Grahams character seemed to understand it so there must have been some sort of meaning there.

... did Grahams farts mean stuff as well? Or was he simply farting?

Alex is awesome. Moar Alex please. My favourite moment of DB was right at the end when he had the Breaking News: Just broken 10k with the picture of slowpoke underneath. I cracked the fuck up.
Nothing to see here.
Katie
First Video: Ways to Survive the Recession

Postby Katie » 15 Dec 2009, 01:23

I liked this a lot - obviously I'm well in the "LOL FARTS" camp, but apart from that the dialogue and straight-faced acting was great.

I love the idea that in this world the lactose intolerant are sought out for their gaseousness, that your colleagues would send you a thank you card for not killing them with smells and that the combined belch-fart is just too outrageous for the board to handle.

Nicely built up and very well executed.

And Alex looks good in a suit. Just putting that out there.
It's just various people talking and sometimes they do things in brackets

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”