Phone Manner

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Re: Phone Manner

Postby Emperor Gum » 15 Dec 2009, 09:26

Eh. It either needed to go:
>SILLY: have Graham become a rising star in the company then lose the ability to bart/furp somehow, or have Graham called into the boss's office, have him consider the idea, and then the boss farts in his face or
>SERIOUS: Graham goes home, finds out his wife's pregnant, then say he's about to lose his job, have a proper build up to the final scene

It definitely needed more people, at least someone reacting to the phone call at the beginning. The first half was good, but the second half was lame. Alex was excellent, I'm surprised he brushes up that well being so rugged.

EDIT: on second viewing, its better. Still feel its a good setup for a very ordinary finish.
Jaredin
First Video: Loading Time - ENN Set Build

Postby Jaredin » 15 Dec 2009, 09:35

Certainly intresting. Nice to see Alex about ^^
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 15 Dec 2009, 10:11

Personally, I don't think Graham's character was fired, just his idea was rejected. So long as he managed to bring his farts up to 90 seconds (likely at great personal and financial cost to himself), they wouldn't outright fire him over an idea.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 15 Dec 2009, 10:15

Even if they did I think he'd probably have grounds for an unfair dismissal case
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
billyjr82

Postby billyjr82 » 15 Dec 2009, 10:18

I interpreted the final fart as his idea being rejected instead of being fired as well, though it makes sense if it's either way.

Along with many others in the thread, I really liked LRR's ability to take a normal low brow idea and make it high brow in its execution. :)

Very well done!
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 15 Dec 2009, 11:01

My first reaction was, "Really? Farts? Really?" But by the end, I was amused. I think it's a combination of the clever dialogue and the fact that, no matter how serious I try to be, farts make me laugh.
Checky_Girl
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Checky_Girl » 15 Dec 2009, 11:05

That was hilarious! I was definately not expecting that when I started watching!

I too interpreted the final fart to be one of rejection rather than him being fired. That would be a little harsh seeing as all he did was put forward a new idea.

Brilliant video!
Charles

Postby Charles » 15 Dec 2009, 11:28

So, how was it intended to record both the belching and farting at the same time?
Maybe the chariman was trying to show support for Graham's idea through demonstration, but his belching wasn't loud enough to be picked up by the phone receiver!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 15 Dec 2009, 11:31

Maybe it was turned down because they'd have to invest in new phones. The ones at my old call center had two head/handset plugs, so you could have one for the belch and one for the fart.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 15 Dec 2009, 11:34

Yaxley wrote:My first reaction was, "Really? Farts? Really?" But by the end, I was amused. I think it's a combination of the clever dialogue and the fact that, no matter how serious I try to be, farts make me laugh.

Pretty much this.

I like that the farts weren't the punch-line, but were instead the vehicle for all of the other jokes. Fart jokes can get pretty stale pretty fast, so I wasn't expecting the video to hold up very well, but by the end, I was completely bought into the concept.

In the montage scene, it was kind of confusing as to why Graham was holding his phone while eating, until the stopwatch was shown. I'd have gotten that sooner if he was fiddling with a watch, instead, or if the stopwatch feature had been shown initially before the phone on its own.

I like the rejection at the end, but it does stand as a little ambiguous. Perhaps that was the aim, but I felt a bit let-down because I don't know wether the idea was rejected, or wether Graham's character had been fired. In-context, rejection makes a lot more sense.
Chchucks

Postby Chchucks » 15 Dec 2009, 12:12

i am happy to see that you put that really long 1 minute fart from hustle to good use
I'm a shining bacon of hope in a sea of this pear.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 Dec 2009, 13:12

ecocd wrote:I think any frustration Graham may exhibit in video discussion threads is more a matter of seeing this same argument playing out over and over and over again every time they release one of these videos. I'm glad to see the tenor of objections seem to be more in the vein of, "I don't find it funny, but I guess someone else would," instead of, "that wasn't funny and I expect more from LRR."
Nailed it.

My biggest objection has always been the "this is beneath you" comments because, clearly, we aren't :D

To new people: You think this one's bad for scat humour, go watch Morgan's Problem.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 15 Dec 2009, 13:31

Graham wrote:To new people: You think this one's bad for scat humour, go watch Morgan's Problem.

W..Wow.. Oh lord, that.. That was horrible.. Horribly hilarious!

"YOU CAN'T DEFEAT MEEEE!! *explode*"

I absolutely adore the crack-up from the three of you at the end. I've said it before and I'll certainly say it again, you guys are comedy legends. Silly Paul Kennedy (ahem.. Jer) coming in as a PSA announcement xD
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 15 Dec 2009, 13:38

It's not even fart jokes, persay; it's a classic Pythonesque everything-is-normal-except-one-queer-thing sketch. Whoever mentioned "Crime and Punishment" got it right.

That being said, not my favourite by far, but it got a few chuckles.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 15 Dec 2009, 13:40

Yeah, especially the outtake. Paul got it right, it was a bit of a "What, 9000??!?" moment.
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 15 Dec 2009, 13:50

Graham wrote:My biggest objection has always been the "this is beneath you" comments because, clearly, we aren't :D

Luckily you have an idiot like me who will enjoy everything you do, regardless of how funny it is :D
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 15 Dec 2009, 13:59

Jaebird wrote:
Graham wrote:My biggest objection has always been the "this is beneath you" comments because, clearly, we aren't :D

Luckily you have an idiot like me who will enjoy everything you do, regardless of how funny it is :D

Also Lavos.
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 15 Dec 2009, 15:24

My issue with this one was the end. The intro call was great, the meatting with alex was funny, but after that point it just kind of lost momentum and ended. I think you just needed a better hook in the last part of the video. Preferably I would have liked it if you cut down the end a bit so it was just Alex's character telling Graham's character to pick up the phone, him doing so and then just a long fart and graham hanning up the phone. While it was funny to have the chairman sort of "talk" with graham in farts, I think it would have been better if it was a punchier ending.

so basically:

Alex: Ethan the chairman wants to talk to you, he is on line 2
(Graham picks up the phone): yes sir?
Chairman: FFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTT!
(Graham hangs up the phone and slumps back in his chair)
End

Also since you couldn't actually hear him farting during the monologue I think it lost something.

All this said, I still liked it, especially the beginning, I just feel it could have been stronger.
King Rocky IV

Postby King Rocky IV » 15 Dec 2009, 16:24

It could have been worse. The Chairman could have decided to reject the idea face to face...

This has been a great season so far, and considering the upcoming switchover to Escapist distribution, there probably isn't time in the week for epic multi-locational green-screened ensemble videos (though for some reason, Alex in front of the window looked green screened to me). It was still amusing beyond just fart-jokes, and a standard LRR video. The fact that pretty much every other video this season makes it look worse by comparison is evidence of just how lucky we've been.

I remember CDAA. I will never forget CDAA. No matter how hard I try.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 15 Dec 2009, 17:21

Ah Fart jokes... See? They can be funny AND tasteful!

Sort of anyway.
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
MostlyImprov
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby MostlyImprov » 15 Dec 2009, 19:02

Hmm. I've been trying to come up with a word for this sort of thing, combining both the "lowest-common-denominator" humor of, say, the "Movie" movies, and the intelligent and sophisticated humor of, just as an example, LoadingReadyRun. I have the feeling that I've heard a word like that before, but can't remember what it is...

Anyway, this sort of elevation of low-brow gags is always amusing at least, and this video is no exception.

Intellidense? Simplhisticated? Not quite. Will have to come back to that.
-Seamus
girhen
First Video: Fun With Condoms

Postby girhen » 15 Dec 2009, 19:23

I guess I'm still just a kid, I thought it was fun. I was expecting the last minute and 29 seconds to be a long, well-held fart (damn, a second short!). Good ending.

Always be careful of making one thing happen at each end simultaneously. The bazooka-dukes aren't fun.
Curt

Postby Curt » 15 Dec 2009, 20:26

I like how in many previous podcasts, and even during Desert Bus, the LRR crew acted really condescending towards people like Mega64, acting like their humor is just miles above what they can do(despite doing a lot more nowadays than just "being a dick in public")... and LRR comes out with a video centered around farting into the phone.

I'm still a fan of you guys... I'm just saying. =P
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 15 Dec 2009, 20:33

Curt wrote:I like how in many previous podcasts, and even during Desert Bus, the LRR crew acted really condescending towards people like Mega64, acting like their humor is just miles above what they can do(despite doing a lot more nowadays than just "being a dick in public")... and LRR comes out with a video centered around farting into the phone.

I'm still a fan of you guys... I'm just saying. =P

It's a LRR trope, Graham is an elitist dick to people.
IN VIDEOS! He's like that in VIDEOS!

Graham is, from all other reports, a very sweet and considerate guy. Now Matt on th other hand...
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 15 Dec 2009, 21:00

... is not only sweet and considerate, but also attractive, (and a dynamo in the sack).

-m

I am not angry at you.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”