The Job

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Re: The Job

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Jan 2010, 11:33

Great job, guys. Personally, I didn't find it really lolzy, but it was a great intro for the Escapist viewers and consistently amusing, and technically masterful! I loved the character name screens - they reminded me a bit of Borderlands, with the name, a splash, the character, and the image rotates.

Frankly I thought the comments on the escapist were very positive and good-natured, so that bodes well too.

Finally, Hilleict, calm down with the LRR/LLR curb-stomping. We've all made that simple mistake before, so chill Win-ston. Are you trying to alienate new viewers and make it harder for LRR to succeed?
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 11 Jan 2010, 11:38

I really liked the video, great work guys!

It felt a bit weird watching the LRR video on theescapist, but it wasn't bad and the comments seem mostly positive, so it's all good :3
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 11 Jan 2010, 11:43

Vigafre wrote:
Kzap wrote:Also at the end how did Tim manage to spectacular manage to trip someone in front of him then fall over backwards?

I figured James knocked him backwards.

I was trying to make it look like I saw it coming and dove the other direction, but I didn't sell it that well. *shrug*
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 11 Jan 2010, 11:52

Do mine eyes deceive me, or is Matt's upper-left-hand hacking screen showing the speed montage from the promo video?

Tim wrote:I was trying to make it look like I saw it coming and dove the other direction, but I didn't sell it that well. *shrug*

That's what I saw it as, for what it's worth.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 11 Jan 2010, 11:53

Kathleen wrote:See - tits, musical episodes, boy on boy kissing

Sounds like a good time - where can I see these things?
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 11 Jan 2010, 12:05

Kathleen wrote:sweeps week - where networks put exciting content to draw viewers.
See - tits, musical episodes, boy on boy kissing

exactly, Kathleen! I'm on to you LRR kids....
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 11 Jan 2010, 12:12

Definitely a great way to introduce the crew to The Escapist. Not as rofl-worthy as I would have liked, but that wasn't necessarily the point. Effects heavy, which was a bit of a surprise, considering that must've taken a crapload of work. And, while I didn't find it hilarious, I was genuinely amused. Pacing was good, too. And while I found the trip-gag at the end predictable, I liked it anyway.

Also, I have noticed that the idiots and assholes over at The Escapist forums have begun their mindless, mouth-frothing stupidity by posting worthless and inane comments. Just as I expected. But, don't let any of that get you down, Crew! Know that we all love you back here at home. 8)
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
goat

Postby goat » 11 Jan 2010, 12:18

metcarfre wrote:Great job, guys. Personally, I didn't find it really lolzy, but it was a great intro for the Escapist viewers and consistently amusing, and technically masterful! I loved the character name screens - they reminded me a bit of Borderlands, with the name, a splash, the character, and the image rotates.

bolded for truth

I'd like to see Jame's propaganda posters recast as the covers of his solo albums from his experimental light jazz phase.

annnd my write-ins for Morgan and Bill:

Morgan vanHumbeck. A drunken scoundrel since the age of 6, Morgan is wanted dead or alive in 51 states and just dead on 6 of 7 continents. In spite of this, he has successfully slept on at least one of every couch model ever made. He is considered to be unkillable by chemical or pathological means.

Bill Watt. Abandoned to the circus sideshow at a young age, he quickly rose through the ranks of the sideshow, finally becoming the world's tallest man at the age of 9. At age 15 while shopping for longer trousers, the entire circus was destroyed by ninjas, killing the only family he knew. He has dedicated his life to learning the combative arts so that he may avenge their deaths.

ps. Tim looks freaking awesome in that costume.
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 11 Jan 2010, 12:20

Wonderful video, guys.

I had been wondering for a while what your Escapist opener would be; I imagined it would be some sort of "introduction to the crew", and I was right.

Thought the graphics were awesome. And now to list particular things I thought were done well, or stuff I noticed:

• Jer rising: I just fund it very believable, although I imagine it was no more than him crouching and slowly standing up.
  • The triple pan-in: Wonderfully parodies those action movies that do that sort of thing.
  • Kathleen strangling herself: because I imagine it involved stunt hands. It's always doing things where people have to interact with themselves.
  • The shot of Matt at the computers: I just liked it. Also, there is light flickering on his face. Actual light, or post production? Also, one of the things he's looking at is the LRR montage from the intro video.
  • Tim's shot: good job on the tracking shot of the hologram-watch. Also, is his background GCI? If so, well tracked and colour-corrected.
  • Slo-mo hallway shot: I notice that, unlike, say, "Ways to End a Movie" or "Fun with Condoms", this shot is smoothly slow-mo. After Effects?
  • Bill and Morgan are mentioned: their names are on the blueprint, shown as what I guess are seating positions.
  • The end punchline: took me by surprise, but in hindsight I don't see why I didn't see it coming a mile off. I don't think I've ever felt that way about a joke before.
  • Credits!: takes me back to the old days. Although these more closely resemble the DVD credits rather than the post-video credits. Because there's more than one screen-worth.
  • Of, shit, forgot the music: so perfect. Nailed the style of it. Great work, Bradley.

Also love the outtake. I'm assuming it was planned.

One of my AskLRR questions that has yet to be answered is "how do you pronounce Tim's surname?" Glad that was cleared up. I guess I can replace it with another question.

So: excellent debut. Looking forward to the future. Wishing you every success.
Last edited by Lawman on 11 Jan 2010, 12:34, edited 2 times in total.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 11 Jan 2010, 12:20

The triumphant return of the full-length theme! And overall very very well done; I was just disappointed to not see Morgan in his grey suit and fedora. Still. . . way to kick of season 7(.5?)!

Nicely done special effects, too.

I didn't notice that the streaming quality was particularly bad, either.

And I have one question: is the revamped title card / omission of the url what the Escapist insisted on in the contract?
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 11 Jan 2010, 12:28

Streaming quality wasn't bad, but I now notice that it's no longer in HD: just... well... "D".

Also, the text on the title card looked a little big to me. I can see why they dropped the URL, considering the video is no longer actually on that site.
Kzap

Postby Kzap » 11 Jan 2010, 12:31

Tim wrote:I was trying to make it look like I saw it coming and dove the other direction, but I didn't sell it that well. *shrug*

That makes sense, if a little funny, to avoid falling over forwards you dived backwards and ladened on the hard flour instead of a squishy human.

Lawman wrote:Also, the text on the title card looked a little big to me. I can see why they dropped the URL, considering the video is no longer actually on that site.

Yea I agree also seems a little out of sync with the music but I could care less, it's a title,I also assumed that it's changed for contract reasons.
Last edited by Kzap on 11 Jan 2010, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
Linux enthusiast, film director, avid Twitterer and full time geek.

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away." - (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 11 Jan 2010, 12:35

goat wrote:bolded for truth

I'd like to see Jame's propaganda posters recast as the covers of his solo albums from his experimental light jazz phase.

annnd my write-ins for Morgan and Bill:

Morgan vanHumbeck. A drunken scoundrel since the age of 6, Morgan is wanted dead or alive in 51 states and just dead on 6 of 7 continents. In spite of this, he has successfully slept on at least one of every couch model ever made. He is considered to be unkillable by chemical or pathological means.

Bill Watt. Abandoned to the circus sideshow at a young age, he quickly rose through the ranks of the sideshow, finally becoming the world's tallest man at the age of 9. At age 15 while shopping for longer trousers, the entire circus was destroyed by ninjas, killing the only family he knew. He has dedicated his life to learning the combative arts so that he may avenge their deaths.

ps. Tim looks freaking awesome in that costume.

I also agree (now that you mentioned it, metcarfre), the names appearing -do- look all Borderlands-y and awesome-like.

As for Morgan and Bill's write-ins, I'm not sure what I'd nickname Bill, seeing as I honestly don't know much about him, personally.. But Morgan would've had to be "Morgan SPACE JUMP vanHumbeck" or "Manly Meats Morgan vanHumbeck, because manly cooking is for real men".

As I watched the outtake, I honestly thought I saw Tim kind of get pushed back a little, but recover quickly and go for a turn and run to avoid the carnage. Would've been quite hilarious just to see him run off down the hallway a little as everyone else falls o.O Am I evil? Maybe... Maybe..

And no, metcarfre, no I wasn't "trying to alienate new viewers and make it harder for LRR to succeed". As I'd PMed to Lord Tim about the whole thing, going from logical, thought-out discussions of videos here to blatantly disregarding any sort of logic and merely typing werdz is just severely off-putting to me. The fact that a very small amount of viewers on The Escapist actually explain or even remotely describe why they did/didn't like the video. It's just not cool saying "is it just me or is this just not funny lololol". That explains absolutely nothing about.. Y'know.. WHY. Why is it not funny, what would you want to improve, what -did- you like, was there anything you didn't understand fully? Simple questions would've changed everything.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 11 Jan 2010, 12:42

Not linked to on the site? Oh well. 'Crash Override' was fantastic. Okay, but overall under the quality of other LRRs, but it's an introduction...
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 11 Jan 2010, 12:45

It was cool, short, and sweet. only complaint was no bill or morgan. Not one of my favorite videos but it worked as a good introduction to both you guys and your comedy style.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 11 Jan 2010, 12:49

I thought that video was sweet.

I watched it during lunch and was all "ha, Jer is shaolin...lmao! communist dictator!" etc.

And then the "everything is perfectly normal"-ness of the end got me so laughing so hard.

I do have an issue not with the editing, but with the cinematography. My first thought was that "this doesn't feel as tight as usual." But then I realized it was reminding me of Kill Bill and the kind. I'm not a fan of Tarantino's style, but I know Graham is. Oh well.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 11 Jan 2010, 12:51

I have a question, maybe this is on all escapist videos and I just never noticed but what is Bionic Trousers Productions?
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 11 Jan 2010, 13:05

was I the only one who saw Tim as Snake Plisskin??

also great job guys, the effects were awesome, really really awesome.
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Shinoki
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Shinoki » 11 Jan 2010, 13:14

Pigmy Wurm wrote:I have a question, maybe this is on all escapist videos and I just never noticed but what is Bionic Trousers Productions?

They already explained that one in the other thread. It's LRR's company name since they need one for the licensing deal.

Overall I thought it was a pretty good video. Eyepatch for the win, though Kathleen's back story of her fighting clones of herself was pretty funny too.

As far as escapist comments go I have to give the fail award to the guy who was thinking this was a brand new show you guys were taking on. And when he gets corrected he calls the guy a smarty pants.
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 11 Jan 2010, 13:16

I just want to say that Bionic Trousers Media is a fantastic choice of company name.
Last edited by His_Ryanness on 11 Jan 2010, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 11 Jan 2010, 13:29

Matt wrote:Edit: Site updates and whatnot forthcoming, but that'll have to wait 'til Paul's awake.
Ok, good. 'Cause I spent the afternoon refreshing the main page not seeing the new video linkback before I went into the forums & saw the locked thread with the link.

His_Ryanness wrote:I just want to say that Bionic Trousers Productions is a fantastic choice of company name.

Agreed.
Last edited by Evil Jim on 11 Jan 2010, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Jan 2010, 13:33

On Twitter they just said that the LRR site V 7.0 is about to drop today.
thunderkatz
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby thunderkatz » 11 Jan 2010, 13:35

Loved the Hackers reference, and I must say, eyepatch + fauxhawk + holographic watch + cane = win.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 11 Jan 2010, 13:44

It's good to see Lord Sevenhyusen entering into the public realm, he's been on the watchlist of interesting time dabblers for a while now. Rumor also has it the Faj Institute is seriously considering inviting him to study, though we'll have to wait and see how things develop.

That said, I do hope the good Lord doesn't listen to any of their head archivist's rants about me. That man has it out for me, always has since the day I met him. I tried to explain repeatedly that the incident was entirely accidental, but the stubborn bugger insist that I had malicious intent and prior knowledge, and that no one lacking such could have caused such a course of events to unfold.

But I digress. I simply wish to emphasize again just how pleased I was to see our friend the Lord receive his due recognition at last. Most capital, indeed!

~Alja~
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 11 Jan 2010, 13:46

Am I the only one still campaigning for "Savvy Pants Inc."? That's also quite awesome.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”