Green

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
artful dodger

Re: Green

Postby artful dodger » 08 Feb 2010, 11:09

tim and morgans timing at the end while ducking into the trash cans was perfect.

you guys are winning.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 08 Feb 2010, 11:11

Just a point of reference for Morgan... if you want to join other Green-skinned peoples... a LOT of them... come visit me in Missouri for St. Pats. I am back in college working on my MS/PhD and this campus in particular goes INSANE for St. Patricks day. They actually cancel classes that Thursday and Friday every year. There is a Greenest Person competition annually.

(The school is probably 85% Engineering, and St. Patrick is the patron saint of engineering. This is the 102nd year of this celebration. We literally paint the streets green. Fraternities "recommend" guys grow out their facial hair for 90 days, and dye it green for St. Pats.)
WeedyPirate
First Video: How to talk like a pirate

Postby WeedyPirate » 08 Feb 2010, 11:13

:mrgreen:

Really great video!
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 08 Feb 2010, 11:26

Ever been at a grocery store and been using plastic bags and gotten glared at by someone with re-usable canvas bags? I think this video nails it with people wanting to "go green" to impress others more than save the environment.

Also, I can't help but wonder if it would have been possible to green screen Morgan out of one of those shots, leaving only his eyes and hair. I bet that would be immensely creepy.
theashigaru
First Video: The Con

Postby theashigaru » 08 Feb 2010, 11:27

Awesome video this week! Everyone played their parts brilliantly. Tally's ear rings were made of win(did she make them?). The writing was spot on as well. Wasn't a joke in the video that I didn't laugh out loud at. Epic.
Is it safe?
Jaebird
First Video: The LHC

Postby Jaebird » 08 Feb 2010, 11:27

Green Morgan and the bit at the end with the trash cans made me cream my pants from laughter.
http://jbird18.deviantart.com (Open for commissions.)
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 08 Feb 2010, 11:33

First off: Yay, me.... sort of

Anyway, awesome video. Also i want Morgan's mug

So this is the second time Morgan has painted himself for a video. So if you want someone to play a corpse; Paul. If you want someone in body paint; Morgan
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 08 Feb 2010, 11:37

Yaxley wrote:Ever been at a grocery store and been using plastic bags and gotten glared at by someone with re-usable canvas bags? I think this video nails it with people wanting to "go green" to impress others more than save the environment.

In sociology and environmental studies circles they called that "green consumerism". Somewhat counter-productive.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!
First Video: The Stages

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 08 Feb 2010, 11:46

So very, very funny. I really liked the camera work on this one; it fit perfectly and helped emphasize the funny. Great video, too many funny parts to count followed by a hilarious stinger. I applaud you for this.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 08 Feb 2010, 11:57

I was expecting Jer to come in at the end dressed like a tree or something and walk off with Tally. Funny, nevertheless.
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 08 Feb 2010, 12:28

The earrings were made by Tami Joseph, who also made those cool LRR and DBFH necklaces that we auctioned off during Desert Bus. (The backs are scrabble tiles w/ the letters L and R on them.) You can see some of her other stuff here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/studio1901
Tanais

Postby Tanais » 08 Feb 2010, 12:59

"I'M WINNING!"

*dies*

Excellent vid. Who knew Tim could be so funny? Great Job guys :D
Sauter

Postby Sauter » 08 Feb 2010, 13:09

oh my goodness! that was hilarious! i was seriously laughing out loud quite a bit at morgan's "i'm winning!" that was so well done. i like when tim came in with green and a mug, only to be quite outdone by morgan. that was such a good video! great job, guys. i'm going to go watch it again, now.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 08 Feb 2010, 13:24

As a video it was pretty funny.

Although I really hope you don't believe much off the "green science" you were preaching here. A lot of it is not really true. (CFL's are not better for the environment AT ALL. Under normal household use they don't outlast fluorescent bulbs that much, but due to all the electronics needed to get it to work a CFL is a lot more polluting once thrown away. The little bit of energy saved during it's lifetime does not outweigh the extra pollution from exotic metals and chemicals in the electronics. Also, using bio-degradable plastic cups is actually better for the environment than using a ceramic mug. Ceramics need a lot of energy to mine the clay, fire the ceramics, paint them, and then there's all the soap and hot water used to clean it. Using 1000 plastic cups is better than using a single mug 1000 times in terms of carbondioxide and waste output
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 08 Feb 2010, 13:25

2stepz wrote:Just a point of reference for Morgan... if you want to join other Green-skinned peoples... a LOT of them... come visit me in Missouri for St. Pats. I am back in college working on my MS/PhD and this campus in particular goes INSANE for St. Patricks day. They actually cancel classes that Thursday and Friday every year. There is a Greenest Person competition annually.

(The school is probably 85% Engineering, and St. Patrick is the patron saint of engineering. This is the 102nd year of this celebration. We literally paint the streets green. Fraternities "recommend" guys grow out their facial hair for 90 days, and dye it green for St. Pats.)

Wait... I know where you are, I'm an alumnus.

And yes, Greenest Man crossed my mind along with "um, that's a pretty weak paint, I've seen greener."
Asnone
First Video: Forget about it.

Postby Asnone » 08 Feb 2010, 13:26

Now I want to dress up as garbage can.

Also. Worst. Transformer. Ever.
"I would rather pay tax than be dead! AARGH!!!"
"OK, but... Think about women's change rooms. We can finally look inside them."
Xix
First Video: Son of a bitch

Postby Xix » 08 Feb 2010, 13:28

SUV explanation was hillarious.
Was Jer upset that he had to play the trashman?
"Quickly, evolve into a less shitty pokemon"
thunderkatz
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby thunderkatz » 08 Feb 2010, 13:29

Love it, but it makes me wonder... why does Tally carry lightbulbs around with her? Does she get this kind of thing a lot?
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 08 Feb 2010, 13:35

Morgan singing Defying Gravity offkey. That's all I'm saying.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 08 Feb 2010, 13:42

I enjoyed the video, but Morgan popping out of the garbage can and scarign Jer? It made the video that much funnier. Loved it!
And, @Dutch Guy: It didn't seem like they were preaching anything to me, just reiterating arguments we've all heard.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 08 Feb 2010, 13:47

Dutch guy wrote:As a video it was pretty funny.

Although I really hope you don't believe much off the "green science" you were preaching here. A lot of it is not really true. (CFL's are not better for the environment AT ALL. Under normal household use they don't outlast fluorescent bulbs that much, but due to all the electronics needed to get it to work a CFL is a lot more polluting once thrown away. The little bit of energy saved during it's lifetime does not outweigh the extra pollution from exotic metals and chemicals in the electronics. Also, using bio-degradable plastic cups is actually better for the environment than using a ceramic mug. Ceramics need a lot of energy to mine the clay, fire the ceramics, paint them, and then there's all the soap and hot water used to clean it. Using 1000 plastic cups is better than using a single mug 1000 times in terms of carbondioxide and waste output

We don't really need to have this conversation, but...

In areas with coal-fired power stations, the use of CFLs saves on mercury emissions when compared to the use of incandescent bulbs. This is due to the reduced electrical power demand, reducing in turn the amount of mercury released by coal as it is burned.... Coal-fired plants also emit other heavy metals, sulfur, and carbon dioxide.

In the United States, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimated that if all 270 million compact fluorescent lamps sold in 2007 were sent to landfill sites, that this would represent around 0.13 tons (US), or 0.1% of all U.S. emissions of mercury (around 104 tons (US)) that year.

Source = Wikipedia.

As for mugs vs. plastic cups, I don't have a lot of information on that, but as a general rule of thumb less garbage is better. I'd like to see some actual numbers to support your claims that the production of plastic cups produces less waste than the manufacturing of mugs (ceramic or otherwise), because (and by this I mean no offense) that sounds iffy to me.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
The Italian
First Video: Writer's Room
Location: Starting the Italian occupation of the US in Jacksonville, Fl

Postby The Italian » 08 Feb 2010, 14:00

Tim, you should forever wear that costume and grow a mustache. Ill make you an honorary Italian. It does mean though that you'll have to change your name to Luigi.
Master Gunner wrote:One's a young Italian living in Florida who's new to the internet, the other is a grizzled and seasoned spambot with no land to call his own. Together, they fight crime!
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 08 Feb 2010, 14:01

This video was so epic I did TWO .gif requests for it within minutes of seeing it myself. Agree with Lyinginbedmon, definitely the best stinger ever. :D

(They're in the GIFer thread if anyone wants to see them.)
Last edited by I X on 08 Feb 2010, 14:38, edited 3 times in total.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
Asnone
First Video: Forget about it.

Postby Asnone » 08 Feb 2010, 14:04

On a site about funny videos I'm not sure a conversation about the environmental effects of CFL and plastic cups is entirely relevant. Not to say its not important but perhaps not to be discussed here.
"I would rather pay tax than be dead! AARGH!!!"
"OK, but... Think about women's change rooms. We can finally look inside them."
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 08 Feb 2010, 14:14

I just realized Morgan's character is a lot like Tom Haverford from Parks and Recreation. Or, Tom Haverford is based on Morgan... hmm... they even look a little similar...

0.o

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”