Redundancy

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Matt
LRR Crew

Redundancy

Postby Matt » 22 Mar 2010, 07:58

It's always a good idea to have a backup

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Redundancy

-m

I am not angry at you.
goat

Re: Redundancy

Postby goat » 22 Mar 2010, 08:05

Where the hell did you find that much pocket lint?

I was kind of surprised you guys didn't use the laserdisc again, seeing as I'm pretty sure you hit every other form of media... ever (which I congratulate you for).

Ben laughing at the punchline kind of killed it for me, though, despite him being in character. It felt a little over the top, but that last scene did need something there besides approving looks at the piece of paper.

edit: also, link fail Matt

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Redundancy
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 22 Mar 2010, 08:18

Fixed the link.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
xe2k7
First Video: ISC: Banana Onion Juice

Postby xe2k7 » 22 Mar 2010, 08:22

Steven Zentwiffle: The Next Steve Jobs.
Great vid. Greater name.
Don't Be That Guy
H.A.N.D.ing out the Spartan Victory Salute

Now Known As XeLasers on XBLA
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Mar 2010, 08:34

You sure are getting a lot of use out of that office set.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 22 Mar 2010, 08:40

You maybe could be a fan of this video.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Steamcastle
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 11 - Showdown

Postby Steamcastle » 22 Mar 2010, 08:48

So was that the 68 coup in the 4 years of history new Steve land?

and a really good video, but LRR being LRR there is no reason to say so, that is just the LRR way.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Mar 2010, 09:13

Upon further reflection, I must revise my earlier statement. Turns out I've just being watching a lot of your videos that take place in the same style of office over the last couple days, and mentally merged the sets together. I expect you will make good use of this set, though.

Anyways, loved the video.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 22 Mar 2010, 10:07

goat wrote:I was kind of surprised you guys didn't use the laserdisc again, seeing as I'm pretty sure you hit every other form of media... ever (which I congratulate you for).

Ben laughing at the punchline kind of killed it for me, though, despite him being in character. It felt a little over the top, but that last scene did need something there besides approving looks at the piece of paper.

Damn, Goat got here before me.

But yeah, I was outright expecting the BlueLazorDisc, in reference to the recent ENN feature. But then, LRR isn't known for ever treading the predictable. The same with the punchline. Early on I decided I just wasn't going to hear what Jer's presentation was actually going to be about, despite the brief glimpse at his transparencies. And like Goat said, Ben's character laughing at the punchline, despite being in character, softened the gag. Let the audience do the laughing.

Kudos to Jer on his performance. It carried the sketch quite nicely.

The holocube & optical binary printed on his tie were nice additions. :)

I'm afraid Alex looks out of place again. He's normally fine but his handsome ruggedness doesn't fit well in a business-type setting.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Mar 2010, 10:30

It's his hair, Alex looks like a damned hippy most of the time.
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 22 Mar 2010, 10:42

Evil Jim wrote:I'm afraid Alex looks out of place again. He's normally fine but his handsome ruggedness doesn't fit well in a business-type setting.

On that note here's something that I thought was hilarious: people on The Escapist forums somehow thought Alex was Yahtzee. Don't ask how, but they were internet high-five-ing over it and everything.

ImageImageImageImage
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 22 Mar 2010, 11:29

Vanguard wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:I'm afraid Alex looks out of place again. He's normally fine but his handsome ruggedness doesn't fit well in a business-type setting.

On that note here's something that I thought was hilarious: people on The Escapist forums somehow thought Alex was Yahtzee. Don't ask how, but they were internet high-five-ing over it and everything.

Because Yahtzee obviously has the time to fly out to Canada between judging competitions in the Mana Bar, playing games and recording Zero Punctuation, writing a book and creating a video game!

Uh yeah...

OT: Another great video! Not much more to add that hasn't already been said, but really enjoyed it! Nice to know why everyone was dressed up in the suits and why there wasn't a preview pic. The preview was a VIDEO! :o
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 22 Mar 2010, 11:43

The holocube bit was excellent; props to Jer on the facial expression.

I'm pretty sure this video is the final step in getting my friend hooked on LRR. We watched this during a free period in school, in the computer lab, and other people were actually coming over to see why we were constantly laughing. So, good job! As usual.

Oh, and I didn't think that Ben's laughing was out of place at all, given that he was the stoner guy. And the fact that the stoner guy got the joke, and nobody else. . .
Last edited by Ottoman on 22 Mar 2010, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 22 Mar 2010, 12:07

I liked this entertaining video, it was quite good and entertained me.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
SunThunder
First Video: ZOMGies!!!1

Postby SunThunder » 22 Mar 2010, 12:56

So this is what all those men in suits were doing.
Canonfoder

Postby Canonfoder » 22 Mar 2010, 13:18

Holocube was very nice.
I think the Ben laugh was perfect because it fit so well or was over the top for some people.
Can we see those "personal" betamexes? maybe? please?

I'm so used to seeing the ads (which I don't believe we've had had ANY of besides this video since LRR went to the escapist) at the front of videos that it seemed odd and out of place for the ad to be at the tail of the video.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Mar 2010, 14:17

I thought pretty much the whole video was good.
But because I didn't 'get' the ending, I was kind of disappointed. I felt like I was the only one in the class who didn't get the joke.

What I saw as the guy showing his board members a document and a drugged guy sniggering. There wasn't enough time to read the whole page :(

*edit* Watched it again. I understand the joke. I paused it to read what was on the sheet. I thought the running themes of various forms of data storage was amusing. But, I still feel a bit "oh..." at the punchline. Then again I don't think I could have thought of anything better.
Last edited by Merrymaker_Mortalis on 22 Mar 2010, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 22 Mar 2010, 14:22

that holocube line was awesome!
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Angnor
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Angnor » 22 Mar 2010, 14:28

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:I thought pretty much the whole video was good.
But because I didn't 'get' the ending, I was kind of disappointed. I felt like I was the only one in the class who didn't get the joke.

What I saw as the guy showing his board members a document and a drugged guy sniggering. There wasn't enough time to read the whole page :(

The joke was that the document was about eliminating backups/redundancy as a way to save money, and it was funny since all his backups were destroyed or useless...
J. B. S. Haldane wrote:I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 22 Mar 2010, 14:51

Yeeeaaahhh, yeeeeaaah, I kinda got it. Just thought it was quite far to go for the punchline.

... I dunno. Bits of this were funny, the escalation of the formats was funny. I just, yeah, I dunno. I really don't know how I feel about this one. I know I liked bits of it, just I dunno. I may need to go away and form some opinions on this video before I comment again.
Nothing to see here.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Mar 2010, 15:14

I've watched it probably 3 or 4 times by now, and I still find it enjoyable.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 22 Mar 2010, 16:07

For me the punch line was a bit lost. It seemed force especially Ben's laugh (no offense to Ben of course, he's still cool and quite possibly the best psychiatrist ever.) The run through of every media storage (excluding lazordisk) ever was pretty amusing, but again the delivery of the end just didn't do it for me.
I would like to say that everyones performances were good. Jer's acted was awesome, and Paul plays a good boss, and I did like Ben's "I'm SOOO baked" line.
^( " )^
winner!
UnspeakablePat
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby UnspeakablePat » 22 Mar 2010, 16:10

you skipped VHS and magnetic tape storage

still liked it though

i love ben's performance, put him in more videos!
mxd3496

Postby mxd3496 » 22 Mar 2010, 16:46

I'm not much of a laugh out loud guy. Most videos get a few chuckles here and there, occasionally a good laugh. This one though... for some reason I wasn't expecting the punchline and had a solid GUFFAW at the end. Very well done. I think the fact that he was going through so many things to the point of ridiculousness put me off guard so I just wasn't ready for it.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 22 Mar 2010, 17:32

Much love for this video. That is all I have to say.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”