Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Re: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby The Jester » 19 Apr 2010, 11:16

Unless you've seen some Beastie Boys, in which case it's really more of an homage (pronounced omage, before you pick me up on no h's after an an), but still a good homage, still with startling amounts of creativity. =)
lugthor
First Video: the job

Postby lugthor » 19 Apr 2010, 11:21

goat wrote:
I refer you to the following:

and yes, I realize that this makes Chrusher cooler than us, but that was evident anyways.

Welcome to the hierarchy =)

ok. I will give you that it may not be one of the purist sciences. however it is definitely a practical science. so you have fun studying the biology of some obscure sea creature. meanwhile I will be over here gaining a deeper understanding of myself and how I work, with the added benefit that i can now mess with the heads of everyone i meet (lucky for you i practice with great power comes great responsibility). but in all seriousness i wasn't attacking you or biochemistry. just having some fun. :)
Steamcastle wrote:Well I think that we have more mad scientist and evil genius in the runners, also we have Tall Paul and also we have this cake.
goat

Postby goat » 19 Apr 2010, 11:31

Oh, I know. I just enjoy a little friendly inter-science competition.

Oh, and welcome! Stick around! You'll like it here.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 19 Apr 2010, 11:42

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Though I enjoy anything in which Tally sings.
Science ignorance gets me so angry... thank you for your calm and collected response, Paul. Top show. My response usually involves groans and angry rants.
Keelah Se'lai
lugthor

Postby lugthor » 19 Apr 2010, 11:54

same here. I just tend to be too PC(politically correct) for my own good sometimes. I am definitely planing to stick around. I realize the fact that i discovered loading ready run through the escapist makes me the scum of the internet, but once i realized how amazing LRR was i made a point of viewing the whole back catalog of videos.(even some of the Desert bus ones on youtube)
Steamcastle wrote:Well I think that we have more mad scientist and evil genius in the runners, also we have Tall Paul and also we have this cake.
xe2k7
First Video: ISC: Banana Onion Juice

Postby xe2k7 » 19 Apr 2010, 12:03

The Escapees are hating, but I loved it. I think it was as close to ICP's video as could be expected without a proper budget. Shades of 64K and This is Why I'm Paul, awesome

All manner of comments up in this bitch!
Last edited by xe2k7 on 20 Apr 2010, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Be That Guy
H.A.N.D.ing out the Spartan Victory Salute

Now Known As XeLasers on XBLA
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 19 Apr 2010, 12:06

The whole "X is just applied Y" thing is far too simplistic, anyways.

The way I see it, chemical processes, for example, can explain how pleasure and pain work, but they don't explain why animals prefer pleasure to pain. Biological processes can explain why humans eat and drink, but they don't explain why people associate certain drinks with certain social situations (coffee in the morning, alcohol at night, etc.).

Every step on the scale comes with its own properties and processes which aren't entirely reducible to the processes of the disciplines below them.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Apr 2010, 12:14

Strictly speaking, chemical processes can explain those things (since chemical processes are what cause and control them), it just rapidly gets too complex to the point of irrelevancy. Each "level" of science builds on the one "below" it through the use of a different perspective, and a different base that things are reduced down to, before a different science takes over. Each science requires the others to fully model and explain large-scale systems like the human body and human nature, and while they could be integrated into one giant model explained through mathematical equations, that would be largely pointless and impossible to comprehend or work with. So let math tackle how the basics of physics works, and let physics explain how the basis behind chemistry works, while chemistry explains the individual components and processes of biology, and biology/biochemistry lays the foundation for fully explaining and predicting psychology. Let us all work together for the greater good!
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
lugthor

Postby lugthor » 19 Apr 2010, 12:22

Tim wrote:The whole "X is just applied Y" thing is far too simplistic, anyways.

The way I see it, chemical processes, for example, can explain how pleasure and pain work, but they don't explain why animals prefer pleasure to pain. Biological processes can explain why humans eat and drink, but they don't explain why people associate certain drinks with certain social situations (coffee in the morning, alcohol at night, etc.).

Every step on the scale comes with its own properties and processes which aren't entirely reducible to the processes of the disciplines below them.

true its not just "X is applied Y". however there is definitely a change from deductive/convergent thinking to more inductive/divergent thinking. thus the "purity" of the science is considered less. (on a more immature note: yay i got cast attention on my first posts.)
James Ether
First Video: The Secret Of The Sauce

Postby James Ether » 19 Apr 2010, 12:24

Being a chemistry student, I fully agree with Master Gunners post above mine. As much as I despise Physical Chemistry (the bit which crosses over most with Physics) it's very important and can be pretty interesting at times for explaining the basis of bonding and molecular interactions.

Though saying that, Metals are far and aware the most interesting thing in chemistry to me. I love them.
lugthor

Postby lugthor » 19 Apr 2010, 12:26

just adding to that idea there is a hole branch of psychology called biopsyhcology.
James Ether
First Video: The Secret Of The Sauce

Postby James Ether » 19 Apr 2010, 12:27

Oh wait before I forget it, my brother did Computer Science and one of his coursemates had rthis to say (or something along these lines):

"All sciences aren't pure, cos they all rely on each other and one could easily contradict the other. Except for Computer Science cos we just made it all up ourselves"
Angnor
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Angnor » 19 Apr 2010, 12:30

James Ether wrote:Being a chemistry student, I fully agree with Master Gunners post above mine. As much as I despise Physical Chemistry (the bit which crosses over most with Physics) it's very important and can be pretty interesting at times for explaining the basis of bonding and molecular interactions.

Though saying that, Metals are far and aware the most interesting thing in chemistry to me. I love them.

I miss p-Chem. Never really liked metals though. It's all so long ago, I barely do anything resembling chemistry anymore.

That said, I actually liked Paul's somewhat monotone performance. I thought it was great for what the character was supposed to be: A scientist doing rap.
J. B. S. Haldane wrote:I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
lugthor

Postby lugthor » 19 Apr 2010, 12:36

James Ether wrote:"All sciences aren't pure, cos they all rely on each other and one could easily contradict the other. Except for Computer Science cos we just made it all up ourselves"

that's not completely true. they still rely heavily upon mathematical equations. i took a couple of courses in computer science in high school.just proving once again that math will always be the purest form of science.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 19 Apr 2010, 12:38

The original ICP video was so stupid, so painful... it made a small part of me die on the inside. That there could be people so stupid... this only brought back painful memories! D:

Paul, you make a very good scientist. As a scientist, I hereby award you the "best scientist doing rap award" for 2010. That said, the bar isn't actually set very high....

That said, I don't think this video did a good enough job tearing down all of the inane bullshit that the original video was filled with.

It was relatively funny, though. So, thumbs up!...I guess. AUGH THE PAINFUL MEMORIES OF STUPIDITY SEAR MY MIND. :(
lugthor

Postby lugthor » 19 Apr 2010, 12:44

James Ether wrote:Being a chemistry student, I fully agree with Master Gunners post above mine. As much as I despise Physical Chemistry (the bit which crosses over most with Physics) it's very important and can be pretty interesting at times for explaining the basis of bonding and molecular interactions.

hey my dad is a chem major. he once purified caffeine for a assignment. then a couple months latter he was burning the midnight oil and got the bright idea to try a little bit of his project. he ended up wired for the next several days. :lol:
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Apr 2010, 12:48

Yeah, you want to be careful when dealing with purified substances. At least it wasn't Capsaicin.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 19 Apr 2010, 12:58

Damn, I'm late to the party yet again. Still. . . SO GOOD. Although I admit I would have preferred to see a legit sketch, this was great in its own way. And the stinger was the best in a while.

I totally <3 Paul, by the way.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 19 Apr 2010, 13:47

Machalllewis wrote:
Dubious_wolf wrote:Awe, am I in the runners? I want to have the little badge under my a avatar... :( sad day.

None of us... none of us do anymore.

Wait, what?

*checks*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I liked that thing.

*sniffle*

Okay, I think I'm better now.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 19 Apr 2010, 14:02

Tally wrote:
Dubious_wolf wrote:I will say one thing... I don't think Tally's very nice voice quite meshes well with hip hop. Every other time I've heard her sing it was great, this though... I want to stress it is not Tally's fault but instead the fault of hip hop as a genera.

HOW DARE YOU! I WILL NEVER SPEAK TO YOU AGAIN.

:D j/k, that's fair, dude. It's still fun for me to try it out.

In the past 4 days I've performed this, a (metric, naturally) shit-tonne of Brahms, Mr. Sandman and You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman. It's been an odd week.

and I know for a fact all of those songs you just listed would sound great, :D especially mr sandman cause I love that song.
Also it seems like I've been quoted a lot in this thread today...
^( " )^
winner!
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 19 Apr 2010, 14:05

Woo. Awesome video. :)

Dammit, I'm sick of not having anything to complain about in LRR. :P Even the stinger was epic. Ye just keep getting better.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 19 Apr 2010, 14:14

PROGRAM_IX wrote:Even the stinger was epic.

I knew there was something I forgot to mention in my post earlier. The stinger was the best part of the video, IMO.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 19 Apr 2010, 14:21

This thread would go into a tangent about which science is more superior. Oh LRR how awesome you are. Also mathmatics is the least pure, cause we made that shit up. If I started using the Mayan base 20 system there is no freakin way we could talk about mathmatics we both would need to be using the same system for mathmatics to work...
^( " )^
winner!
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 19 Apr 2010, 14:25

Oh and just to add to the topic... The first and greatest science was philosophy. All manner of theorizing all up in this bitch!
PHILOSOPHY BITCHES!
Last edited by Dubious_wolf on 19 Apr 2010, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
^( " )^
winner!
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 19 Apr 2010, 14:27

James Ether's CS-doing brother's coursemate (paraphrased) wrote:"All sciences aren't pure, cos they all rely on each other and one could easily contradict the other. Except for Computer Science cos we just made it all up ourselves"

As a Computer Science student, I find it very difficult to disagree. But as such a young science, in fairness there's a lot we had to make up. Maths didn't evolve from the ground you know. Some dude (a long time ago) decided one was one, and went from there. We're still arguing over what two is, by that standard. :P
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”