Installation Anxiety 2010

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Re: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby Digital Dolphin » 24 May 2010, 19:50

I thought a lot about whether or not I should make this post, but I decided in the end I will add my voice on this.

It's my personal belief that creative content makers should never look back. The idea is never as fresh, and you can't recreate "the magic" you once had. Sure there are many things that can often be improved on past creations, but it's better to let them be and move on.

In this specific case, I felt that Paul had a hard time getting back into that character the way he was back when that video was originally made. The LRR cast have all grown as people and actors, but so have the characters that they portray.

I watched this video with a couple of my friends, and my mother also watched it and we all compared notes after (yeah, this is actually fairly normal for us). The general belief was that LRR had made this video to show fans why doing remakes wasn't something they should be asking for. Another complaint was that the lighting washed people out too much and didn't feel natural. I didn't find that personally, but I'm a LOT less picky when it comes to lighting, and prefer to err on the side of too much, rather than too dark.

Over all, I would say there is no question that the original was a more enjoyable video. I would liken this to watching one of Monty Python's original flying circus skits, compared to one of their "year's later" reunion events. Yes, there are still laughs to be had, but part of it is also that we're remembering the good times from the original.

Nothing personal guys, you know I'm behind you 100%! (I hope!). But anything less than my honest opinion would feel disrespectful.
#TeamKroze
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 24 May 2010, 20:01

Digital Dolphin wrote:It's my personal belief that creative content makers should never look back. The idea is never as fresh, and you can't recreate "the magic" you once had. Sure there are many things that can often be improved on past creations, but it's better to let them be and move on.

GEORGE LUCAS I'M LOOKING AT YOU!!!

HAN SHOT FIRST!!!!
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 24 May 2010, 20:02

Graham Linux'd first!
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 24 May 2010, 20:29

so yeah, as was previously suggestion:

yall hafta do a Suspend Your Disbelief remakae

or else

(or else nothing, but I would love to see it)
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 24 May 2010, 20:56

Matt wrote:Yeah, I'm with graham 100%. I can totally not get on board with anyone saying the line deliveries or acting was better in the original. This version was superior in every conceivable way, acting included, and nothing about the making of this video was phoned in.

(and I had nothing to do with the making of this video or the original - I was not involved in either. I watched both strictly as an audience member, and the first I saw of either was their final cuts, so I'm not talking from a position of artistic involvement here.)

-m

edit: this is a point of annoyance for me as well, so I'm going to say it. We have, in the past, openly suggested that we might consider doing a remake of a video as a weekly update. The response from these very forums, to those suggestions has always been extremely favorable. Like "Yes, you should do that! I wannit!"

Well, we did it. And we assumed it would be well received because we had been led to believe it was something that our fans wanted us to do.

See, Matt, THIS, what you just said, is why I feel like a dick saying I felt disappointed. I'll watch it again and let you know how I feel about it as a remake.

*watches again*

I didn't laugh once. but if I were to watch the original, I probably wouldn't laugh at that one either. I think the novelty wore off of the script.

SO, I'll not take that into consideration of if this video is great or not. Instead, I'll tell you what I think in terms of production and performance. Which to be honest, it is a HUGE improvement over the original.
    - The video lighting seemed a lot better (did you white balance the original? Also, the house you are in has white walls and open areas, so it's much better lit).
    - The sound may have been improved, but it was fine the first time.
    - The acting and reacting seemed a bit more natural, but it seemed less like "Paul has clearly lost it, because you can't install Linux on non-electronics" and more like "I don't want Linux on everything I own, because I like my toilet's current OS" (which is a roundabout way of saying you changed universes from the original).
    - The video quality has vastly improved, seeing as now you all are using a much newer camera.

Finally, anyone else remember playing Scorched Earth? Man that was an awesome game.
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 24 May 2010, 21:34

Finally, my shaky memory comes into play. I went in, knowimg this was a remake, but I had fogotten almost the entirety of the orginal, (except the part where Graham is Linuxed thanks to Empath) so, I wasn't sure of what would be new or not, and I had fun trying to remember what was different from the original. And the pierogi exchange I found all the funnier due to that forum thread from not too long ago.

Generally yes, I noticed a few hiccups in line delievery here and there, but that wasn't enough to detract from the video.

This weeks update however raises an interesting point, and that is, how fans judge remakes and sequels to the original. Too often when watching a review for "Something 2" or a remake of a movie, you hear the question, "But how does it stand up to the original?" To me that's always been a dumb question. Yes, even I ask it, having done so when I saw Iron Man 2 tonight, but honestly, that's just not fair to the film/video. To me it doesn't do the film justice, as it should be judged on it's own merits, not what the fans thought of what was missing from the original.

So, perhaps word for word remakes aren't a great idea, as there will always be the stigma of how much like the original it will be. I think that's what the director of the remake of Psycho said after the film came out. I guess the best route to take in light of that stigma is, when doing a remake, do something totally unexpected, and different from the original, much like Ronald D. Moore did with BSG. Many loved it, many hated it for being different, but you can't please everyone.

My suggestion to the LRR crew would be, if you decide to do a word for word remake, do one of a less popular video, as a test bed for how to do this in the future.

And once again, based on it's own merits I thought this was a good video, and despite a few hiccups, up to par with LRR's standard.

Okay, mega post TL;DR Remakes are risky, people can't get over the beloved original. It's not fair to judge something by compairing it to the original. I thought this week was good going only on this weeks video and not the original.
Last edited by It's My Delorean on 25 May 2010, 09:15, edited 3 times in total.
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 24 May 2010, 21:47

Hey folks, here's a thought...

Remember, they originally did this specifically for Wootstock & only later decided to use it as an actual update. Try to imagine seeing this for the first time ever as DVD bonus content a couple years from now. Would your feelings be any different?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
King Rocky IV

Postby King Rocky IV » 24 May 2010, 21:51

I've got an idea for next week's video. Matt, having read forum comments one time too many, picks up a bat (or an Intrepid Battle Axe of the Boar) (For The Horde!) and tracks down every single commenter at their homes for some internet justice, ala Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

[beat]

You just locked your front door, didn't you?

That won't stop him.
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 24 May 2010, 21:57

I watched the new one, then I watched the original again, then I watched the new one again.

I find myself unable to "pick a side" so to speak here. I like a lot about the remake.. well, most of it, really. And while the acting certainly is improved overall, there were still a few lines I felt were just delivered more effectively in the original. Probably the bits that stood out the most for me were when Paul was installing on the Wii (it sounds like "Why would you want Linux on your Wii?" rather than "why WOULDN'T you"), Graham talking to Paul through the bathroom door (this one might just be me being nitpicky, I liked how in the original he started to say something, and then said something else instead, but that could just be due to how I tend to speak like that when I'm flustered), but in particular Morgan's delivery of the "share some serious files" line. I'm a firm believer that "I'm just gonna go over here..." lines should be delivered whilst moving in said direction, complete with pointing in said direction. Maybe such things are seen as overdone? I don't know. It just lacked the comedic impact for me.

Just my two cents. (They're American cents, so they're pretty worthless.) Don't read too deeply into it, upon reflection it seems my objections to the remake are simply personal preference in the end.
brb, assaulting children.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 24 May 2010, 22:26

I don't even remember what we said our "Brazil" ending was.

I've got some pretty good ideas though!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 25 May 2010, 00:17

Graham wrote:I don't even remember what we said our "Brazil" ending was.

I've got some pretty good ideas though!

Instead of installing Linux on you, he installs it on himself. Morgan and you go from "WTF Mate?" to "Oh no, he's rejecting it." Then next shot is a la Brazil with a muted grey color pallet, Paul is dead in a fever dream, Morgan and you are in labcoats shaking your heads, and unplugging him from the system.
Steamcastle
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 11 - Showdown

Postby Steamcastle » 25 May 2010, 01:40

I have always though Installation Anxiety as LRR's Dead Parrot sketch, you know the 1600 years old Greek sketch that Monty Python copied.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... s-old.html

Be course I don't want to get stuck in a Installation loop I'm just going to say what my friend said:
joo, den er god,
jeg syntes bare der var mere energi i den første
film og lys/lyd teknisk er 2010 versionen bedre
lol, i 2007 foreslår paul at perogies skal koges, og i 2010 versionen foreslår han det skal steges
Anatidaephobia
First Video: Green

Postby Anatidaephobia » 25 May 2010, 01:57

Evil Jim wrote:Try to imagine seeing this for the first time ever as DVD bonus content a couple years from now. Would your feelings be any different?

Yes. Feelings would be different. If it were discovered on a DVD, it'd be bonus content, but as it stands now, it just kinda feels like we don't get an update this week.
Anatidaephobia - a pervasive, irrational fear that one is being watched by a duck.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 25 May 2010, 02:23

Graham wrote:Sorry, but the line deliveries? Really?
The original had some really awkward deliveries. This version is vastly better delivered owing to our improvement as actors.

Nostalgia is fine, and liking the original is fine too, but this version has better acting.
Matt wrote:Yeah, I'm with graham 100%. I can totally not get on board with anyone saying the line deliveries or acting was better in the original. This version was superior in every conceivable way, acting included, and nothing about the making of this video was phoned in.

Since when has the opinion of the crew been incontrovertible law? As soon as I watched the two videos back to back, my first thought was that the acting was far less convincing for much of the 2010 version, yet I find that my honest opinion has been pre-empted by two crew members saying "No. You're wrong." I don't wish to give the impression that I'm angry, but I am disappointed that you appear to have decided that certain criticisms just don't count because you personally disagree.

I didn't have any problems with IA2010 as I watched it the first time; clearly, there were many improvements, and it's not a bad video. However, in comparison with the first version, I agree with Digital Dolphin: Paul's performance in the original had a lot more energy to it, and was consequently more manic, more convincing and funnier. He didn't seem nearly as excited or crazy in this version. His delivery of certain lines was technically better, but that's not the only aspect there is to acting. Also, the lines "It sure is! Linux is so great! I wonder what I can install it on next?" were entirely unconvincing in the new version; they were delivered in "I have to stand here and recite these lines!" style.

Just so you don't think I'm picking on Paul, I also think that there were many occasions on which Graham and Morgan's deliveries were less natural this time around, and both versions feature characters standing around blankly waiting for someone else to finish so they can deliver their next line, rather than looking like they're responding to what the other characters are saying.

Like I said, I enjoyed watching IA2010 in its own right; I just don't think it's the huge improvement on the original that you think it is.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 25 May 2010, 02:34

I did feel a bit let down by this remake, but I think because the title was a touch misleading (to me). I expected it to be more of a sequel, or have a twist different than the original, but it wasn't.

However, given that there's a good percentage of people on the escapist who have neer seen IA, this is a good way for them to see it with the type of quality you're currenly proud of.

I don't think IA needed to be updated though, personally.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 May 2010, 02:43

I am from the 'Oh shit it's Thursday*, we don't have a video shot yet' era where all you expected from LRR was some sort of video a week so getting a remake does not make me unhappy. Admittedly I would have preferred a new video. I also watched LRR at w00tstock on YouTube and I was going to ask if they were going to put up the remade video.

* LRR used to update on Fridays. Or try too.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 25 May 2010, 03:24

Remaking this was a good idea, but perhaps Morgan has been away a bit too long; I thought his lines were much better in the original. A couple of Paul's lines in the first scene were a bit awkward in this one, as well.

None of that matters, though, because the old one had Paul's beard.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 25 May 2010, 04:08

Evil Jim wrote:Hey folks, here's a thought...

Remember, they originally did this specifically for Wootstock & only later decided to use it as an actual update. Try to imagine seeing this for the first time ever as DVD bonus content a couple years from now. Would your feelings be any different?

This was pretty much my take on it Jim. But then a lot of people have come into this not knowing that it was originally done for W00tstock.

Also I imagine over at the Escapist* they're really enjoying seeing a nice HD version of a classic LRR vid.

The video has it's merits, and yes there are things that may have been better in the original, but it's really interesting to see them and compare them and just how LRR has changed.

I think perhaps the big problem for us is that as Runners we've all seen the original and were perhaps expecting them to take it in a different direction instead of a straightforward remake.

Nevertheless I enjoyed it for what it is, but it is always going to be controversial when you remake such a firm fan favourite.

*I've stopped reading Escapist comments again, they were depressing me.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 25 May 2010, 04:12

I haven't had a chance to watch this more than once, or compare it to the original (I'll do that tonight). However, first impressions at least are that the original was far more "homey" and "LRR-y", while this felt more stark, barren, and not-LRR-y.

As well, when people have being discussing LRR vids in the past, I'm pretty sure they were pretty much all talking about seasons 1, 2, and 3. I'd put the line at Wyy, which I've always considered the video that demonstrated a huge jump in the quality of LRR vids, and I can't think of a single video past that I'd want a remake of (admittedly, I'm not thinking that hard at the moment). Pre-Wyy though, I can think of many vids I'd like to see remade.

Mostly though, I think I agree with what Dolphin and some others have said when it comes to straight-remakes, it's not going to be as good, because your playing characters that don't match yourselves as actors anymore. A sequel allows you to recapture the same feeling an universe though, without constraining yourself entirely to just what fit past-you (look at 30 Minutes or Less and its sequel, as an example). If you don't feel the video has enough to warrant a sequel (as is arguable for this one), how about a bizarro-remake? Change the casting, change some lines, give it something FRESH.

Imagine this video with Tally as Paul, Tim as Morgan, and Matt as Graham, and with the video (while sticking to the same concept), re-written to fit those people. I'm pretty sure the pure confusion it would generate for me would be enough to make it one of the funniest things you'd have done this year, even without any jokes.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
empath

Postby empath » 25 May 2010, 05:37

Cool! This remains my absolute favourite video (gee, how could you tell?) and it's be redone quite well. I imagine it still retains its effect on new viewers, but there IS the factor of my having watched the original hundreds of times - it's kinda lost some 'oomph' for me personally (either version).

Watching the remake was interesting and a little bittersweet; kinda like watching your favourite song played live in concert; you've listened to it again and again, and memorized all the vocals, and when there's (by necessity) tiny variations, they both throw you off AND make you go "OOH! Cool."

:)
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 25 May 2010, 07:08

I'm just gonna jump straight into the conversation here I think.

I did like the remake. I enjoyed watching it. I agree with the crew that everything in this version was better, EXCEPT a few of the line deliveries. Timing was much improved but I really thing the lines: "Linux is no laughing matter", "I shall call it, the Eye-Patch", and "I'm gonna go serve some serious files" (from the top of my head, there were a few more to a lesser extend) were slightly better in the original. What fans liked (I think) was the maniacal power with which paul delivered his lines. I don't think it's a bad thing this has been toned down a bit, but it might have been a bit too far on some lines.

Also, This video screws up the Universal Theorie of Phail we were working on. We'll have to review a lot of our Phail theories based on the fact that Paul is now exhibiting signs of Phail Radiation Poisoning without his beard acting as a Phail Capacitor.

*Turns to the massive blackboard and starts muttering while scribbling stuff with chalk*

(For those who have NO idea what the above is refering to, check the Wiki for Phail and check the forum for the relevant thread. (I can't find it myself right now :( )
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 25 May 2010, 07:13

Phail wiki page
Timeline of the LRRd thread, containing discussion of Phail Physics

Well the theories based around the usage of the Phailinite Ring still stand, though certainly I never put much stock in the Phail Capacitor qualities of Paul's beard.

However, as Paul is once again manic despite his beard, we can once again attribute it to the radiation from the aforementioned ring as he keeps it about his person at all times in order to compensate for the usual loss of brain power extant in the homo mortuus afterspecies.

Meaning, previous theories of manic activity being caused by phail radiation poisoning, and in the radiative properties of Phailinite, are still sound. If you want to keep believing in the Phail Capacitor beard theory, not that Paul is noticeably less manic in this video, and that his beard, which according to the theory would gradually absorb phail particles, is substantially closer to his brain.
Last edited by Lyinginbedmon on 25 May 2010, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
whereibelong

Postby whereibelong » 25 May 2010, 07:22

Being the video that brought me to the site, the original Installation Anxiety is one of my favourites, and when I first watched the original I was disappointed.

However, having rewatched the original, and now that I'm not expecting something different to happen, I really like this new version. I realised that I was remembering the old one quite optimistically and the acting has definitely improved, although I think some of Paul's crazy lines seem less crazy this time around.

But all in all, thanks guys for putting the new version up for us to see.

In response to jtaylor - Ubuntu is win... except when it's phail, which is often...
Linux doesn't consider defining its sexuality to be an efficient use of uptime!
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 25 May 2010, 07:27

By the way guys, don't feel terribly dissapointed or surprised by the response. Nearly everytime something is remade nearly everyone bitches about it. Star Wars, Carpet Crawlers, Star Trek, Evangelion, Batman etc etc.

Personally, I'd say go for it (especially for some of the vids that really suffer from poor production), but at least try to add something to it. Or more importantly, perhaps do it as an extra of some sort.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 25 May 2010, 07:41

I do believe that every is entitled to thier own opinion and while it's fine to say you don't like it and offer some constructive crtisism, pulling the video apart scene by scene seems mean to me. I'd feel awful if someone took something I created and put a lot of hard work in and disected it the same way.

EDIT: After posting and re-reading this it seems to be a general facepalm/headdesk to the internet in general...

...incidentally @sdhonda: Is that Peter Gabriel?
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”