Installation Anxiety 2010

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby Arius » 24 May 2010, 16:47

Whitmore wrote:I'm having trouble understanding why some people here feel that LRR owe them anything.

I don't think anyone is saying anything even remotely close to LRR owing us anything.

We're allowed to not like actions that LRR takes. If LRR makes a video that we feel is lackluster, we're allowed to say we think it's lackluster.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Whitmore
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Whitmore » 24 May 2010, 16:50

Check out aerics post.
The answer to everything is always tubes.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Hottie:"OMFG UR SEW IN TOUCH WITH FEELINGS. I WANT UR PENIS IN ME NOW"
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 24 May 2010, 16:52

As far as I'm concerned it's not an issue of entitlement, and it's not like I'm angry. My tone is more of exasperated frustration.

We made this an update because we thought that the community in general wanted us to do this kind of thing periodically. We thought that, because when he idea has been presented in the past, response has been overwhelmingly in favor. To the extent that I can't think of a single objection to the idea ever having been voiced to us.

We take or jobs here pretty seriously, and we don't make our choices with regards to what we produce and post lightly. We do try to gauge what audience response to an update is going to be, and backlash to the extent we've seen came, by and large, unexpected.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Arius

Postby Arius » 24 May 2010, 16:52

Whitmore wrote:Check out aerics post.

I did, and so what?

We're not allowed to say, "Not a fan of this video."?

We have to love every video?

*posted while wearing a LRR t-shirt*
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
King Rocky IV

Postby King Rocky IV » 24 May 2010, 16:54

Generally, trying to censor opinions on a forum doesn't work. Also, geeks complain about anything and everything. And LRR fans? Geeks, every last one of us. You could produce the most hilarious and compelling video of your entire history and someone would show up on your message board to say "I think Bill needed more screen time."

I miss Bill...
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 24 May 2010, 16:55

My initial discontent was mostly due to me expecting a sequel, not a remake. Replays thereafter, knowing that it was a remake and not a sequel, have been quite good.

For me, at least.
Snowman
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Plane

Postby Snowman » 24 May 2010, 16:58

Whitmore wrote:I'm having trouble understanding why some people here feel that LRR owe them anything. They made the video they wanted. They had reasons behind releasing it on a Monday. And most of all they are proud of it.

There is no shortage of LRR content, the crew makes damn sure of that. If we can't let LRR put up a video THEY are happy with and proud of, I can see this crew-community relationship going sour.

No need to over think this one guys. They did something THEY wanted. Not your cup of tea? Fine. But you could just let these guys have a time where they get what THEY want.

EDIT: DAMN YOU AERIC! NINJA'D! :x Oh well, I still made some good points :P

Whitmore wrote:Check out aerics post.

Seriously this is the internet, the comments don't seem anywhere as bad as they can get on many publicly available videos. Everyone has pretty much said they like both with a preference for one or the other.
Last edited by Snowman on 24 May 2010, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 24 May 2010, 16:58

Bit late here.

I agree with Matt.

And except for some really early stuff, this is probably the best video to remake.

10/10. Might have been unnessasary, but judging the video on it's own, as if it wasnt a remake, it's 10/10.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 24 May 2010, 17:24

King Rocky IV wrote:---Begin NitPick 2.0---

@ 0:27 - "Hey guys! I just installed Linux on my computer, my [beat] PDA, and my iPod!"

@ 0:37 - Morgan doesn't have to say it would be hilarious to install Linux on the Wii. It seems like unnecessary elaboration. Plus, he was a lot more sarcastic about it in the original.

@ 0:50 - Paul's quite the one handed typist, given that his finger is flailing about the whole time. We get it. You could sub out the audio for "The earth orbits the sun", and it would make sense with his finger movements.

@ 1:17 - Compare those two I Am Linux shouts. No contest.

@ 2:49 - Okay, yeah, Morgan's line is way better now. Improvement.

@ 3:08 - And worse here. Like he's reading the phone book.

---Shutdown NitPick 2.0---

@1:50 Paul's announcement of his Linux microwave seems less excited this time, significantly less manic and absurd, which made the original better I think. @3:40 he seriously gets back into the absurdity that was great in the original.
@4:45 The "eye-patch" line has lost quite a bit of declarative steam here I think

Really, for once in a rehash of an old idea, it's less because we didn't want it or that we thought it was bad, just that various little things kinda spoil it. I mean, I don't wholly dislike this video, I just think I prefer the performances in the original, it's still a good video, and way higher quality than the original.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 24 May 2010, 17:36

Just a little addition; It isn't as though I never enjoy remakes, they can be fun and improve upon an existing work. However, in my case it's nothing but nostalgia. If I had never seen the first one I would love this video, but I did, so I can't like it. Same in many cases, I didn't like realMYST because of the original, I don't like RiffTrax because it feels like a butchered version of MST3K, I know both of them have higher production values than the originals (well, at least one of them does) but I am pathetically nostalgic, even if you remade Quantum Documentary featuring Morgan Freeman I wouldn't like it. I know, I'm insane, but that's just the sum of it. Again, great and skillfully done, but I just can't like it. As for the nit picking, none of the lines or deliveries seemed worse to me, just different, and better in some cases, which is good, a verbatim remake is useless.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 24 May 2010, 17:44

I'm going to do my best to end this conversation, not because I'm mad, but because it's just going to go around in circles.

First off I want to thank everyone for their feedback. The simple fact is that this forum operates in some weird bubble from the rest of the internet where even the annoyed/upset/angry people are civil.

We took a chance with this video. There was people for and against on our end as well, but in the end we decided to go for it. We put as much work into this video as any other and decided that people should see it. No one is going to apologize for what we did. Obviously we let some people down and thats to bad, but we're not stupid. We all know we can't make everyone of you happy all the time.

But guess what, it's just one week out of many, many more. We now know that video remakes might not go over as well as we once thought and will keep that in mind going forward.

However, for your benefit please know that there are a few other videos that we have talked about redoing. Not in the immediate future, but if the chance comes around we won't hesitate the pull the trigger.

Like we've said from the very beginning,
"We make videos that we find funny and hope others will as well"
mxd3496

Postby mxd3496 » 24 May 2010, 17:46

I recently ordered all of the available DVDs and have been going through them so I have been seeing a lot of older LRR lately. In fact I think I saw the original "Installation Anxiety" last night. One thing I have noticed by watching the seasons together like this is how much the production quality has changed between seasons and I am tremendously impressed with how much the crew, this site, and the videos have matured over time.

In many ways I don't think this video was one that really needed to be remade as watching the original I couldn't really see anything that was obviously limited. But in some ways that makes the remake that much better because it really shows how much improvement was done in the little things. It isn't just a better camera, but the better acting, better attention to details, even a nicer set/house to film in that really improved the video.

Even having seen the original recently, watching a YouTube clip of the video at w00tStock, and being completely unsurprised of anything about this video I still enjoyed it. Do I want to see remakes taking the place of the Monday video all the time, no. But I will completely welcome occasional remakes that demonstrate the improved abilities of the crew.
King Rocky IV

Postby King Rocky IV » 24 May 2010, 17:48

And just think: If a remake of this video created such hostility, imagine how bad it would get after a remake of Three PS3s. Paul might have to regrow the goatee to hide from the angry mob.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 24 May 2010, 18:16

Arius wrote:I've written about 8 posts trying to explain my thoughts on this.

There's no real way to put it. The shark has been sufficiently jumped.

It may sound like I'm trolling, but this really hits that point.

I get why you did it. I get that you put in a ton of work. I get that you're proud of what you've done with it. I understand all that.

I watched this video, hoping it would expand on the original somewhat.

And as people who love film... Don't you guys know that no matter how faithful a remake is, the majority of people are still going to side with the original?

I loved the original IA. But this was painful.

A bit premature, you think?
Arius

Postby Arius » 24 May 2010, 18:21

Nope.

That's truly the feeling I get from watching this.
I may have photoshopped Graham's head onto the Fonz.

I kept trying to phrase it another way. But I couldn't.

I laughed my ass off at the original IA, every time I watched it, I laughed.

This video, I just sat there with my jaw hanging.

---

But, trying to move on from the conversation. I've said my piece and there's nothing more to gain from me repeating it.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 24 May 2010, 18:35

Okay then, in the intersts of moving discussion forward:

A lot of people have said that they were expecting either a sequel or a retool of the original video here. In which case, what would the video have done?

For sequels, perhaps Paul would be in some kind of mental institution trying to install Linux on a mattress wall, or Graham would be searching the local network trying to undo Paul's damage, causing the house to explode in a series of hilariously-timed events.

For retools, I'm not so sure, anyone have any ideas?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 24 May 2010, 18:37

Should we ALL remake this video now?
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 24 May 2010, 18:43

King Kool wrote:Should we ALL remake this video now?

New Runners operation?
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 24 May 2010, 18:44

It took me a minute to get the references to the Brazil ending. Not *a" Brazil ending but *the* Brazil ending. I finally remembered that they discussed a different ending in the podcast for the original video that would have been totally out of left field & hilarious if they had done it. I'm a little sad that they didn't take the opportunity to do that for the remake (now that I remember it, that is) but It doesn't bother me.

I understand why LRR did what they did & I like both videos. I may have a preference but I still like both videos. Now I'm really curious to see what other classic LRR they're considering to redo. I admit my initial reaction was a little put off since I was expecting new content but I'm fine with it now.

Also, using this video as an update gives them another week to film additional stuff & hopefully create more of a backlog. LRR, yes?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
CGAdam
First Video: Morgan's Problem

Postby CGAdam » 24 May 2010, 18:55

My only "issue" with this video is the same as it was the first time round: the idea of installing Linux on a person is CREEPY. Perfectly in line with the Mad Scientist angle, but it really weirds me out to see it.
Arius

Postby Arius » 24 May 2010, 19:08

As I am wont to do, I'll give my unsolicited idea that really just doesn't matter now:

Could have done it as a parody of remakes. It would show how you've evolved, but offer new jokes in just the very way it was filmed. It could be dark and gritty. Use a lot of low dutch angles. Basically do the video as a straight remake, same dialogue, but make it a parody of how modern remakes are all becoming needlessly dark.

Though, that's not the angle you're going for.
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 24 May 2010, 19:33

Instead of arguing about versions of the video can we argue about versions (distros) of Linux?

I use Arch with awesome as my wm.
Arius

Postby Arius » 24 May 2010, 19:35

Fedora 9 is win.
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 24 May 2010, 19:39

This video was entertaining, but not very funny. That's probably because none of the jokes are new, though.

I did enjoy some of the new camerawork that went into it. It was mentioned during the last LRRcast that you guys had a new camera, and I really noticed it in this video. Also, I liked the handycam-style filming that showed how crazy Paul was getting.

If you were to ask the fans which videos they want to be remade, I doubt this one would've been chosen. There are some videos however that would probably be complained about less if remade.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

thunderkatz
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby thunderkatz » 24 May 2010, 19:45

So I might be one of the few on this forum who hadn't seen the original before this (I didn't even know it was a remake until coming to the forum; I was originally just going to post something about a) this being a HUGE shaggy dog joke just for eye-patch, and b) wondering if anyone else was reminded of this: http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/200 ... dger.shtml). But after seeing this debate, I went back and watched the original. Hopefully, my views are less biased by nostalgia.

So here's what I think. The LRR crew and their supporters in this case are right: the acting IS better in 2010. The biggest thing is that most of the facial expressions are much more fine-tuned and realistic (e.g. Graham's reaction to Paul installing Linux on the Wii; he reacts early in '07), and inflections are also a bit more normal. However, the detractors are right as well. For some reason, despite it being better, it's just not as funny. It's just a bunch of little things. I think using a breaking glass sound effect as Graham walks away is more confusing than funny (did he walk through a window?), and it sounds so stereo-typically "breaking-glass-ish" that it just seems forced. Paul's "used to be the dishwasher" line was just funnier in the first, even with the awkward pauses earlier in the line. And Morgan's comments about the toilet's internet speed were phrased in a way that made more sense for the joke in '07.

So, after a post that's way longer than it needs to be and most people won't read, the main thing is - it's your site, you can do what you want, but overall I think you're better off just writing new material.

And lastly, I (and I think others as well) really do appreciate that you're striving for professionalism and perfection, and it IS really starting to pay off, but ... how do I phrase this? This is the internet. YouTube already showed that the Internet often gives a rat's ass for professionalism and perfection - we just want to be entertained. It's crass, it's rude - hell, it's selfish - but I think it's the truth.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”