A Stitch in Time

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Matt
LRR Crew

A Stitch in Time

Postby Matt » 31 May 2010, 07:49

I am not angry at you.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Re: A Stitch in Time

Postby Yaxley » 31 May 2010, 07:56

This was excellent. I don't know that there is more to say than that. Any chance there will be a Loading Time for this one? I'd love to see how it was all put together.

Now if anyone needs me, I'll be in the workshop trying to figure out how one uses a wood plane to make a time watch.
Last edited by Yaxley on 31 May 2010, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 31 May 2010, 07:56

I must admit, I was expecting this to be a sequel to the Time Helmet videos. Once I realised where it was going, though, it didn't disappoint one bit. Well done for not just redoing the One Minute Short.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 31 May 2010, 08:24

So now Paul has one PS3 for Paul-Prime, one for Future Asshole Paul, and one for dead paul, because he has 3 PS3's.

Yeah, a lot of people will probably think of that joke but I have time zones on my side.

But anyway, that was awesome, especially the part where my mind exploded from over thinking it.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 31 May 2010, 08:34

Definitely reminiscent of the 1 minute short. Also yay for the return of the time helmet effect. The oh shi- and the stinger really made it for me. Brilliant.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 31 May 2010, 08:50

I saw the title and thought it was going to be something completely different, so I was disappointed coming into it. But I'm all for using time travel in unique ways so it was still pretty good.
treklover
First Video: CSI CSI

Postby treklover » 31 May 2010, 08:51

fabulous, wonderful, awesome etc. I loved the video. Paul really is an asshole to himself. keep up the good work.
You are unworthy of assimilation
Christoball
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Christoball » 31 May 2010, 08:51

Emmet, huh? Back to the future refrence, perhaps? As in Emmet Brown, DOCTOR Emmet Brown?
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 31 May 2010, 09:03

I had a script in mind that went a bit like this. Well, it was part of a larger idea, but this was one of the things that happpened (sort of).

Gonna have to work on it more...

GOOD WORK GUYS!
Steamcastle
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 11 - Showdown

Postby Steamcastle » 31 May 2010, 09:12

Christoball wrote:Emmet, huh? Back to the future refrence, perhaps? As in Emmet Brown, DOCTOR Emmet Brown?

that is what I was going to say.
or somthing like.
Emmett = Doctor Emmett Lathrop Brown?
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 31 May 2010, 09:33

Nice, this gave me an idea to add to something I'm working on. :D

I love the vid, btw, especially the Future Asshole Paul. XD
far_wanderer
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby far_wanderer » 31 May 2010, 09:47

I love that time travel paradoxes follow cartoon physics, and don't actually apply until half a second after you realize that one exists.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 31 May 2010, 10:02

The tagline says "Paul invents the time watch," but in the video he is called Emmet." Which is he? I hope it's Paul.

I like time paradoxes, especially well thought-out (and timed) paradoxes. This video shall warrant multiple viewings... And also possibly a viewing of Primer.
Last edited by Evil Jim on 31 May 2010, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
thunderkatz
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby thunderkatz » 31 May 2010, 10:29

Really funny video, though I have to say, I was expecting present-Paul to become Asshole-Paul before becoming shot-Paul, otherwise, where does Asshole-Paul come from... Oh shi-
iwashere33
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby iwashere33 » 31 May 2010, 10:31

a really good video. +1 internets
Ian McKellen, now!
Urdar

Postby Urdar » 31 May 2010, 10:37

Although I liekd the Idea, and the video, since it was hilarious, the overlay from "flowplayer" just sucks.
Making the world a weirder place.
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 31 May 2010, 11:16

This video is Delorean approved. Now, I just have to make sure I don't cause something like the events in the video. Unless, I was supposed to... erm, MARTY!
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
rpg1203
First Video: the job
Location: Mokena, Illinois, USA, North america, earth, SoL system

Postby rpg1203 » 31 May 2010, 11:18

LOL loved this one, seems like something Paul would try to make. even has possibilities for future stuff if someone else finds the watch and it starts working again
Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Emberwolf
First Video: The Mirror

Postby Emberwolf » 31 May 2010, 11:54

I love seeing videos where actor cloning/split screen stuff is done well- this was definitely one of them!
The line 'Move one inch and you're dead!' 'Too late' kills me every time. (No pun intended, by the way)
Screwing with temporal mechanics is awesome. Nice work!
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun....
Katharine Hepburn
Steamcastle
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 11 - Showdown

Postby Steamcastle » 31 May 2010, 12:03

I like this and that is why I just had to do this.

A Stitch in Time wrote:0:38 Emmett1: I have done it the timewatch is finally complete, now comes the real tricky question with all the past and future laid out before me, where do I go first, I think I'll take a short jump first just to see how it goes, I think.. [Emmett2 appears]
0:50 Emmett2: Emmett I'm you the future.
0:53 Emmett1: Wow. I mean I know that this would happen eventually but how did you get her so quickly
0:58 Emmett2: Timewatch remember.
0:59 Emmett1: Right.
1:00 Emmett2: look I can't explain right now, but it is vitally important for the sake of the human race as a whole and your life in particularly, that you use your timewatch to go a minute and forty-five seconds into the future. Right now.
1:09 Emmett1: well if I say so. [Emmett3 appears]
1:12 Emmett3: Wait Emmett I'm you from slightly farther into the future then the other guy, don't do what he says.
1:17 Emmett2: what how did you get here. Look Emmett ignore gunshot dude. He obviously don't know what he is talking about.
1:21 Emmett1: But he is me right, shouldn’t we all be on the same team.
1:26 Emmett2: Trust me just jump [looks at his timewatch] a minute and fifteen seconds into the future, and everything will become clear.
1:30 Emmett2: who are you going to belie cool sunglasses you or bleeding on the floor you, whose judgment maybe let's be honest suspect.
1:36 Emmett1: you make a good point [uses timewatch]
1:38 Emmett3: (shouting at Emmett1) How do you. Son of a bitch, (at Emmett2) You are such an asshole.
1:43 Emmett2: Me. How am I an asshole, I just been making the best of a traumatic situation in both of our lives.
1:51 Emmett3: I can't belief I invented a timemachine and the first thing I do is screw myself over... (cough cough)... couldn't you just as well have gone back in time and stopped me from getting shot at all.
2:03 Emmett2: I suppose I could, but what about the integrity of the timeline, if Emmett was fated to get shot, who am I to argue, this way Emmett gets shot just like he is supposed to, but we get to keep on living, you should be happy.
2:15 Emmett3: But I still got shot
2:18 Emmett2: Yes
2:19 Emmett3:(coughing)I.. I hate you me.(cough)
2:26 Emmett2:[stand up, looking at his watch] And now.
[Alex enters and points a gun at Emmett2]
2:28 Alex: freeze, move an inch and you are death.
2:30 Emmett2: to late [points at Emmett3 now death].
2:37 Emmett2: [uses timewatch to disappear]
2:39 Alex: (gaping) w..what.
2:40 Emmett1: [appears] Wow neat, little bumpy for a first try but [is shot]
2:48 Alex: A hell with this [runs away]
2:51 Emmett1: I really am an asshole
2:53 Emmett2:[appears] And that should do it. Sorry I had to he was going to shot me.
3:00 Emmett1: I'm not going to let you get away with this, I'm going to go back in time and convince myself not to listen to you
3:04 Emmett2: yea let me know how that goes.
3:07 Emmett1: [goes back in time]
3:13 Emmett2: Ah.. All in all I will call this a successful first outing for the timewatch, there was a few hiccups but I think I dealt with the loss ends quite nicely, no siree no catastrophic no tempera paradoxes here. [look down a Emmett3].
3:36 Emmett2: oh Shit[video implodes]

[credits]

3:58 Emmett: what the hell, I have been messing with this thing for four minutes now and nothing
4:07 timewatch: beep beep.
4:12 Emmett: I think I just may have spent two years and forty billion dollars in military grand money inventing a kind of crappie looking ordinary wristwatch

cheers SteamCastle

p.s. I am dyslexic so there may be some mistake in it
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 31 May 2010, 12:45

Evil Jim wrote:The tagline says "Paul invents the time watch," but in the video he is called Emmet." Which is he? I hope it's Paul.

I seem to recall that someone at The Escapist writes the taglines, rather than a crew member, so clearly that was a mistake.

Great vid, Paul! And not just because I love any sketch containing the sentence "I'm you, from the future!" It was brilliantly written and performed - and really well shot, too; the pan down from Asshole Emmett to Dead Emmett was great, as was the shot of the two Emmetts on the ground.

Is it just me, or does Paul sound exactly like James when he says "Me? How am I an asshole?"
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 31 May 2010, 13:51

And this video outlines the problem of preventing yourself from getting shot by tricking yourself into getting shot.

Nice. :D
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Bob Warwick

Postby Bob Warwick » 31 May 2010, 14:08

I'll admit, I was kind of expecting Emmett to be the gunman too.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 31 May 2010, 14:23

As I was watching this I constructed a way that the events of the video work without creating a temporal paradox. Quite simply, all that's required is for, instead of it being a single-timeline-loop-time-travel universe, it's a multiple-timeline-time-travel universe, that just happened to be constructed to appear as a loop (and obviously even in-universe it's not a stable loop). So with that in mind, here's my interpretation of events, with Paul1, Paul2 and, Paul3 named according to order of appearance in the video.

Paul2 first invented the watch (assuming no previous time travelers influencing him, but that's irrelevant as far as this timeline is concerned). He goes, does his time-travel thing, becomes a dick, and a few minutes (from an outsider's perspective later), is confronted by the robber. He makes another trip back in time, creating the second timeline we see in the video.

Paul3 creates the time watch, and Paul2 warps in. Being a dick, Paul2 sends Paul3 into the future, where he is shot by the robber. Paul3 goes back in time to prevent himself (Paul1 from the video) from listening to Paul2.

This results in a third timeline, featuring Paul1, Paul2, and Paul3, and what we see in the video. Because of the multiple timelines, there is no "paradox" created.

There are many other potential timelines one can construct from the video, but that is an exercise for the reader.

EDIT: Upon a second watching, I've realized that the dialog doesn't quite match what I laid out above, and I also may have stumbled upon a way to make a stable (or semi-stable?) time loop out of it. It involves several more jumps is convoluted enough that while I know it's there, I won't quite be able to figure it out without the aid of a comically large whiteboard or blackboard. I don't think the one I have at work is quite large enough, but I shall attempt it tomorrow.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 31 May 2010, 14:49

I am not angry at you.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”