106.7 The Drive

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Matt
LRR Crew

106.7 The Drive

Postby Matt » 12 Jul 2010, 08:21

There are bad morning DJs. And there there are these guys... who are ALSO bad morning DJs.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/1866-106-7-The-Drive

-m

I am not angry at you.
gcninja

Re: 106.7 The Drive

Postby gcninja » 12 Jul 2010, 08:23

WHAT A TWIST!
that is all

also, long time no see... and he plays the part too well
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 12 Jul 2010, 08:29

Next time, Gadget... NEXT TIME!!
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 12 Jul 2010, 08:33

Funny as hell! Figured out the twist after the first station bumper, although I was second guessing myself before the psych-out. For some reason Alex shooting puppies doesn't seem all that strange to me...

Also nice to see Dale again. Was that his own devil voice or was there some manipulation to it?
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 12 Jul 2010, 08:52

The plot progression felt a bit forced. Specifically, the DJs were too credulous at the first appearance of the devil. It might have worked better if the visitor's stated reason for being there was connected to something that had happened previously in the script. E.g.,

"I'm here from the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and I'd like to ask you a few questions."
[the DJs freak out]
"Nah, just messing with you. I'm not from the SPCA. I'm actually from..."
[flames appear]
"...the depths of Hell!"

On the other hand...
mmmmm, panducken!
Chuckles
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby Chuckles » 12 Jul 2010, 09:34

aeric90 wrote:Also nice to see Dale again. Was that his own devil voice or was there some manipulation to it?
Fairly certain it was his own.

It's similar to the way Orcs are voiced in Warcraft I, II, and (to a lesser extent) III. You just stop forcing the "voice" part, and it comes out like Dr. Claw.
"Flat beer or a lumpy mattress. Take your pick."
"I'd prefer a flat mattress."
"Hmm.. Well, it could be done.. If I take the lumps out of the mattress, and put them in the beer, you'd have a flat mattress and a lumpy beer!"
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Jul 2010, 09:37

I actually think this was a case of a good joke that didn't need a twist or a stinger; I think the shock and horror of the morning DJs at the completely ridiculous things happening to them was funny enough; I thought the introduction of the Devil and them being in hell took it a little too far, and wasn't really funny. I mean... it's a little cliche!

This despite the fact that Dale's devil voice is completely terrifying. I'm guessing it probably doesn't even get picked up that well on the microphone, because it's so ridiculously terrifying.

Though, maybe that's just because the Wilhelm scream is hilarious all on its own.

Just my opinion! Very well acted and produced, of course, that goes without saying! Also sweet flame effects outside the window.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 12 Jul 2010, 09:47

How very silly! I agree with Alexander to an extent, but after a while the silliness of it all got such that it needed an explanation beyond 'it's a shocking radio station'. The explanation was even more silly! very entertaining but it was possibly slightly too silly to be funny.

even so a really good video with fantastic performances by both G* and Matt. I though dale's was a little forced at first, although I don't think the writing necessarily helped. Both the writing and the acting settled down soon enough, but there was a little wobble.

Ah well, good stuff nonetheless.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Dicey
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby Dicey » 12 Jul 2010, 10:23

I feel like this is whats happening every time I listen to morning radio DJs. Excellent video as usual.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 12 Jul 2010, 10:37

I'm pretty sure it was Jer and Tally making the fake sex noises. I probably shouldn't be able to take a good guess at that.

Video was funny and silly but it felt like too many ideas were in it, though. Alex's dog section was astounding.

Also:
Mr.Mattress from the Escapist forums wrote:Haha, nice. Satan looks like an older and thinner William Shatner lol. Good job.

lol. I guess that is a complement?
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 12 Jul 2010, 11:06

This is my favourite since Fit to Print. Hooray for the return of Graham's awful shirt!
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
addeB
First Video: Ehh that was to long time ago

Postby addeB » 12 Jul 2010, 12:26

106.7 is my local rock station and they have a pretty good morning DJ, he makes prank calls and stuff... and thats fun. Great video any way guys!
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 12 Jul 2010, 12:32

As soon as dale appeared, I couldn't help but feel terrible for him doing that voice. I imagine it hurt a lot afterward.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 Jul 2010, 13:59

For interest, the DJs appearance in Ways to Wake Someone Up was a pre-reference, since this script had been written for a long time, and I knew that's what I'd be wearing when we finally shot this.
Chuckles
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby Chuckles » 12 Jul 2010, 14:28

How long do you mean when you say "a long time?"

Years? Moon years?

For those of us not fortunate enough to have a underground orbiting Moon bunker, a Moon year is a little less than the length of February.

(I don't herein refer to the Lunar calendar, whose years would change over time. I instead refer to the orbital period of the Moon around Earth.)
"Flat beer or a lumpy mattress. Take your pick."
"I'd prefer a flat mattress."
"Hmm.. Well, it could be done.. If I take the lumps out of the mattress, and put them in the beer, you'd have a flat mattress and a lumpy beer!"
Moohawk
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Moohawk » 12 Jul 2010, 15:57

AH THE RADIO MEMORIES! (Actually most weren't that bad, anyone who requests David Wilcox can go die in a hole though)

Also you don't even have to play "My Heart Will Go On" 6000 times for it to be torture - that only takes 6 times.

Awesome video guys.
By the way, Hi Internet, how are you? - Adam

Ken is like "Kirk going to the center of the galaxy to find God" amazing. - Desert Bus '09
Asnone
First Video: Forget about it.

Postby Asnone » 12 Jul 2010, 16:08

I loved this one, I thought it was just going to be an awkward comedy sketch but then DAM, Dale. A great way to end any sketch. It's good to see that shirt being used again but next time let me know, I need to prepare myself for it.
"I would rather pay tax than be dead! AARGH!!!"
"OK, but... Think about women's change rooms. We can finally look inside them."
Snowman
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Plane

Postby Snowman » 12 Jul 2010, 16:31

After the first bad joke and station identification of mediocre music, I was remind me how much better it is to have either satellite radio or an MP3 player than it is the local or clearchanel stations.
Sorrowex
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Sorrowex » 12 Jul 2010, 16:51

Moohawk wrote:Also you don't even have to play "My Heart Will Go On" 6000 times for it to be torture - that only takes 6 times.

It only takes 1 time listening to Celine Dion's horrible "My heart will go on", also, when Dale was starting to describe the Panducken, i was hoping he would cook it in something like an acid pit, and could bring back the line "40 points of acid damage"
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 12 Jul 2010, 16:57

Chuckles wrote:How long do you mean when you say "a long time?"
I assume that this is the video Tim mentioned on Twitter:
@Tim_LRR wrote:Today we'll hopefully finish off a video that's been months in the making. Cross your fingers! CROSS THEM!!
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
arch4non
First Video: 3 ps3's

Postby arch4non » 12 Jul 2010, 17:46

Holy shit those effects at the end were fucking creepy.
Lag
First Video: Ways to get a Ticket

Postby Lag » 12 Jul 2010, 19:24

I'm not sure if any of the writers knew this or not, but The Drive is a real Radio Station. 106.7 The Drive to be exact... http://www.1067thedrive.fm/ LOL! They're bad, but not that bad!
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 12 Jul 2010, 20:14

Ottoman wrote:
Chuckles wrote:How long do you mean when you say "a long time?"
I assume that this is the video Tim mentioned on Twitter:
@Tim_LRR wrote:Today we'll hopefully finish off a video that's been months in the making. Cross your fingers! CROSS THEM!!

Nope.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Jul 2010, 21:37

Eh. Not my fave.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 Jul 2010, 22:36

Lag wrote:I'm not sure if any of the writers knew this or not, but The Drive is a real Radio Station. 106.7 The Drive to be exact... http://www.1067thedrive.fm/ LOL! They're bad, but not that bad!

THAT. Is hilarious.

Also, totally unintentional. We figured that would be a good parody name for a station.

Also, the "long time in the making" video, was not this one. It's just a fairly normal video that's been the victim of ongoing planning and shooting errors.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”