Every OS Sucks

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Every OS Sucks

Postby Kathleen » 06 Dec 2010, 12:43

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... y-OS-Sucks

Look, we're platform agnostic, we think every OS sucks.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Re: Every OS Sucks

Postby the_lone_bard » 06 Dec 2010, 12:50

Does this mean macs only crash when they see bears?
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
EikoandMog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby EikoandMog » 06 Dec 2010, 12:50

This probably sounds stupid but I didn't know Wes was such a good musician. Oh yes, and I totally agree with your stance on the OS war.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 06 Dec 2010, 12:53

Alright I was waiting to post this and almost forgot, but here we go.

Basically, what I see is this:
Apple's OS will get you hooked (yes, that's a pun) right from the start, but it's gonna cost you.

Microsoft's OS is smart, useful, and versatile, but don't get too attached, cuz it might break on you. (Notice how Matt and Tally really didn't touch until that last shot)

Linux is fun and playful, but you're gonna have to endure the pain to stay with it (at least that's what I picked up. I have no idea how Linux works).

So in short, AppleOS is a prostitute, Windows is afraid of commitment, and Linux is kind of a bitch.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Dec 2010, 12:58

Unfortunately for Matt, this is probably the most action he's had for quite a while.

That mandatory dig aside though, he and Missie make for an interesting on-screen combination, though I think MacOS and Windows are taken and their proprietors might have issues with him trying to see them. Missie seems worth the effort to figure out though, and I wouldn't mind seeing her play against Matt in videos more often.

And of course the centerpiece for this video: Mr Wes Borg. Whilst he won't assimilate you (much) he definitely provides a great piece of music with nuggets of truth and geeky aggrivation.

Were the Mac and Xerox tshirts just on hand already or did they have to be specially acquired/created? Tally's crafting skills shine through once again with her Windows earrings, which remind me distinctly of the OS-tans and their logo accessories.

In all I think Missie's costume was the least obvious, but then the closest you probably could have come to personifying Linux aesthetically would likely have been a penguin costume...

That said the Commodore 64 costume was spot on and perfect.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 06 Dec 2010, 13:00

Pfft, this was way better live.

In all seriousness, though, this was great. Poor Matt. . .
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 06 Dec 2010, 13:30

I said it during desert bus, and I'll say it again: Finally, a stance on the OS wars I can agree with!
Really really enjoyable! I hope you guys can team up again for more music videos!
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 06 Dec 2010, 13:34

I have previously visited my dislike for the music of Wes Borg, as such, I did not enjoy this video, It isn't that it is poorly made, it is a personal opinion of the music produced by the 'centerpiece' and I shall leave it at that.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 06 Dec 2010, 13:40

one of the greatest stingers i have seen in a long time, keep up the good work.

also after hearing that song for the last two desert buses and occasionally on my ipod i still chuckle, something hard to do for me.
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 06 Dec 2010, 14:29

GreigKM wrote:I have previously visited my dislike for the music of Wes Borg, as such, I did not enjoy this video, It isn't that it is poorly made, it is a personal opinion of the music produced by the 'centerpiece' and I shall leave it at that.

Hey, that's cool. The nice thing about LRR videos is that they're different every week.
:D
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 06 Dec 2010, 14:31

I actually enjoyed this vid.

I didn't know Wes could sing until I watch Desert Bus and caught him there.

I will be buying his CD.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 06 Dec 2010, 14:34

Whew, you scared me for a minute there, cause I go to the LRR videos via the tabs at the top of loadingreadyrun.com, and at time of writing the 'LRR' tab still has "James Cameron's Desert Bus".
Having said that, great song, and great personification of the Operating Systems.
EDIT: My favourite character of the day was Missie, who I have yet to see turn in a performance anything less than brilliant. :D
(Seriously, how do you keep such a cheerful smile on your face while kneeing someone in the crotch?)

Also, are we ever going to see Google OS and her cloud computing antics at some point?
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 06 Dec 2010, 15:41

Awesome double bill this week. As nice as it was seeing the Wes solo runs during Desert Bus, seeing an actual PV somehow added that little extra something.

As I saw it, Apple OS is high maintenance, Windows is unreliable and Linux plays excruciatingly hard to get.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 06 Dec 2010, 15:48

As a fan of Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie from many years ago, it makes me happy that so many people on the Escapist are like "I first heard this on Desert Bus!" because at least it means they've heard of Wes Borg now.

I liked the concept for the music video as well.
Christopher
First Video: Desert Bus Killed the Internet Star

Postby Christopher » 06 Dec 2010, 15:59

I just read five pages of comments from the Escapist forums and a page of comments here and everyone has missed the most important detail.

Paul. You wrote the video adaptation for this so you tell everyone. This is just the OS-tans warmed over, isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-tan

Not that I object, mind you. I adore the OS-tan crew. It's just weird that no one else is talking about this seemingly deliberate... Let's just call it an homage.
taza
First Video: Max Effect

Postby taza » 06 Dec 2010, 16:13

That is indeed a fair representation of Linux.

It's not that Linux is hard to use, once you know how to do what you want to do, and as long as you're willing to forego 3d and sound.

Because Linux graphics drivers and sound are deep wizardry.

So basically - use Linux as a server, and it's a reliable workhorse. Try to use it for desktop use, and it will randomly kick you in the balls. And you will still love it if you're a power user, since the commandline tools are top-notch. It's just that you might forego X (the graphical user interface) entirely - it's really more hassle than it's worth.

Since the sound problems would have been troublematic, Missie should have doubled in size randomly and revert back to 256 colors randomly. This would have been an adequate representation of Linux problems. Especially that changing of size and resolution randomly. And to fix that problem you have to dig into the config files. And in the case of Ubuntu's latest version, dig into the files the config file is composed from.

Now if you don't mind me, I'll dig my eyes out.
Kag

Postby Kag » 06 Dec 2010, 16:21

Enjoyed it.

"Troll" hat was a really nice touch.
DJScythe15
First Video: Rejected Wii Play Games

Postby DJScythe15 » 06 Dec 2010, 16:25

Very nice vid; I'll be sharing it with my Comp Sci classmates and professors at uni., who tend to get into the occasional OS discussion. (We run a computer lab that has Macs and Ubuntu boxes, but have the Vista boxes sequestered in a separate lab. XD)
I tend to be overly apologetic. Sorry about that.

Game Info:
Steam: djscythe15
Pokemon White: DJScy / FC:0690-4616-8450
MostlyImprov
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby MostlyImprov » 06 Dec 2010, 16:30

[Here is where I would put my very strong opinions about personal computer operating systems if I had any very strong opinions about personal computer operating systems]

Quite enjoyable, a fascinating character study.

I do feel the need to point out that the music doesn't seem to be synced up with Mr. Borg's performance on the last line of the song, however.
-Seamus
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Dec 2010, 16:32

Yeah, I've had the discussion with a few of my classmates regarding Linux as a human-useable operating system.

My end opinion is that it is not intended to be used by humans. It has no user interface to really speak of and is very compact, which is clearly indicative of an operating system intended for mechanical efficiency, i.e. a server OS. As a human-useable operating system, it sucks like a black hole.

My classmates generally try and argue it is a useable OS, but always have to make lots of concessions and compensations for it as such. It is not a system for humans to use.
PodX140
First Video: The Job

Postby PodX140 » 06 Dec 2010, 16:35

Great vid, but I actually enjoyed the live, sped up version more, I guess it's just the dance part of me speaking :P

Also, Matt really does get the short end of the stick in any video, so condolences go out to him (Though keep at it, it's hilarious). :D Though I've yet to see a video heavily featuring Paul lately, what's up with that (Or my horrible memory)?
taza
First Video: Max Effect

Postby taza » 06 Dec 2010, 16:39

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Yeah, I've had the discussion with a few of my classmates regarding Linux as a human-useable operating system.

My end opinion is that it is not intended to be used by humans. It has no user interface to really speak of and is very compact, which is clearly indicative of an operating system intended for mechanical efficiency, i.e. a server OS. As a human-useable operating system, it sucks like a black hole.

My classmates generally try and argue it is a useable OS, but always have to make lots of concessions and compensations for it as such. It is not a system for humans to use.

Maybe I just fail at being human then, because I'm pretty sure I can use Linux, and a lot more swiftly than any other system.

The problem isn't that Linux isn't usable - the problem is that Linux is very hard to learn to use. Once you're over the gigantic leap in getting it to work, Linux can do most daily tasks (except gaming) just as well as any OS - and any sysadmin and programming tasks far better than OS X or Windows.

It's not about being a fanboy, it's about using the right tool for the job.
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 06 Dec 2010, 16:43

Ah, Missie. She manages to steal the show in every video she appears in. For good reason, too. Going from punching Matt in the stomach to lovingly kissing the top of his head within a couple seconds while keeping that smile on her face? Priceless.

The OSes as girlfriends concept overall was pretty inspired. I wasn't quite sure what to expect when you brought this video up during Desert Bus but I really enjoyed what you cane up with.
ImageImageImageImage
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 Dec 2010, 17:13

Lying, my grandmother was able to use Ubuntu just fine, and the last time I checked, that's a linux distribution. Some version of linux are meant for high-end users that know what they're doing in order to do pretty much anything with them. Others, like Ubuntu and CentOS, anyone with a passing knowledge of how to use a computer can use with few problems.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 06 Dec 2010, 17:16

I don't mean it's an OS that humans are fully incapable of using, I just mean it's more suited to machine-machine interactions due to it's generally minimalist UI and compact memory size. Properly composed by the user or selected for them, it can function as an OS, but it's not one I would ever choose for a computer I intended humans to use.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”